Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Somebody ought to swap an MT-07 motor into a Versys just to see what happens

The world's worst t7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ionn posted:

Idk, me being a total beginner it's enough engine to provide me with any amount of fun I have any business having. Since I can easily outrun my brothers oversized moped, I've never so far felt 60-something hp isn't fully sufficient.

There are lots of different kinds of horsepower and we only talk in simplistic, childish numbers because marketing is a force of immense evil. There are bikes with 150+ that make you fall asleep and bikes with 30 that feel like ramming a salamander up your nostril. The k650 is a very dependable, very uninteresting way to deliver sixty horsepower, just perfect for this thread

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is the Versys engine the same as the Ninja 650? For all the hate that engine gets, I can't understand why it was a favorite of stunters for a while.

It's the same one yeah.

It was probably popular because it's very rugged, has no fragile bits sticking out, and is commonly available.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

So once you are a fully signed up dadbike member (2nd gen Versys with panniers, top box and touring screen), does it stay with you even after moving on to another bike?

Every not-terrible bike you ride will seem incredibly impractical and over the top.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:five:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

I met this MT-10 with barkbusters and bags on it at a bike show and I think about it a lot.

sorry about about potato quality images. to say it looked super rad in person is an understatement. scary fast dadbike

Tbh both the images and the bike therein match this thread perfectly. Just reeks of dad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

If you have a tailwind with that screen, do you actually gain mpgs?

In the grim darkness of the post apocalypse, engines are dead. Wind is the only power available.

This summer

Hoist your mainsails

Batten down the yardarm

GOLDSHIPS

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll take pgm-fi over l-jetronic any day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Literal dads bike (Rebel) and my Magna after getting some food today.

Having a more dad bike than your dad with a bike risks a timeline destroying paradox, please stop.

Revvik posted:

How are those V4 Hondas anyways?

They fucken rule

right arm posted:

they’re like if honda made a V4

e: real answer: they’re mellow. I rode my mom’s magna on occasion and mellow is how I’d choose to describe it. not boring, just mellow

It's all in the magic of cams and carbs, I can say a bunch of stuff about the interceptor with the same basic engine but mellow ain't it. The magna is exactly what you'd dream of it being - smooth and powerful like a four, tractable and friendly like a twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo if that is in your wheel house, the bother of the v4 outweighs the advantages compared to the first gen vt1100c. I know how it sounds but seriously, Honda seemed to be unaware that cruisers had to be slow and just built an air cooled v twin with a normal amount of power for 1100cc's and a chassis to match. They look ridiculous though, I got very close to buying one with the intention of taking all the dumb cosmetic poo poo off and just making a death machine.

All that said the saber is a comparatively fast and solid machine if you do all the usual needful poo poo, which is one of the drawbacks of the v4 cause that basically always involves carbs. Imo they don't handle very nicely for the power they have. But it's faster than a 300zx turbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj0UjUo5Jsw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Nice! The CB350/4 has become so rare as to be practically nonexistent. I don't even see 350/2's for sale anymore....cafe craze ate them all up.

Honda V4 is fantastic in either the chain driven or gear driven versions, but having that 30 year old rack of four carbs means you'll want to know what you're getting into. Any carb rack that has not been completely rebuilt including the between-carb o rings will leak like a sieve at some point and you'll wind up chasing leaks instead of riding. You'll become hyper sensitive to the smell of fuel. It's the reason why Honda V4 bikes are usually cheap, nobody wants to work on them so nobody has worked on them. That's for the next owner!

Sweet spot is the 98-01 VFR800 which has both reliable FI and gear driven cams. IIRC it's the only Honda V4 with this combo.

That is a sweet motor married to a sweet chassis and a good degree of no-bullshit design by Honda standards, you only need delete the linked brakes to get a brilliant bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Immerse yourself in this extreme dad energy

-disassembled goldwing
-glass of wine
-printed manual held together with 90 degree aluminum angles and c-clamps

The manual being both more effort and worse than just using a pdf is extremely dad yeah

It's like the shortcut that takes twice as long cause it makes dad feel like he has hidden street knowledge

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I vastly prefer printed OEM service manuals.

The only kind of manual that's better than google, also the only kind of manual worth spending actual currency on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just laughing at the idea of an app to understand a motorcycle considerably simpler than an app

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You just don't need them for oil changes and stuff!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess what gets me is the person who made the app in the first place. You have a dr650, you also know how to make an app. Surely, surely if you're that clever it's easier to just learn the DR's foibles by heart than coding an entire app. Or am I severely overestimating apps?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

God I can feel the magnetic pull of it from here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Also in French, but the first point in German just says "protect your life"?

loving Germans, so self centered

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao $500 for an oil dump and a check over done by the lowest paid guy there. I need to charge more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is NOT a Honda approved method of using the rider seat bolster sir. Sir!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So goldwing cambelts are like Ducati ones in that low information boomers obsess over them when in reality they're easy to do and never go wrong?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

It’s good to recycle old furniture, whoever bought it was hard up and needed a nice couch.

Lmfao

This is it steak, this is the funniest thing you'll ever say. It's all downhill from here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

1991 Goldwing
"Running when parked"
Has a title
$250

Honestly, I'd buy it. Always wanted to try building a fighter wing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

4x the oil leaks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A small block V8 with a torque converter arranged to a motorbike is scary, but not because it's fast

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those honestly didn't seem like they were a bad bike but they also had heavy Buell syndrome in that they seemed like the perfect bike for the designer himself, personally, and not at all something marketable to tens of thousands of people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

I was completely unprepared for the heat coming off the Monster 1200. I thought my VFR cooked me when the fans came on but having the exhaust right under my leg at a stoplight is…woof. I’ll be happy when it cools down a bit up here in the PNW.

If you think that's bad, imagine being your rear brake reservoir!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

An fjr street fighter would be cool and different and fix the buffeting problem.

Also now picturing you as james may announcing BUFFETING

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPrNC9LRnE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm partial to remote knob adjusted preload but I guess that only works until the arthritis sets in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The goldwing has big chunky buttons like a jitterbug phone or one of those oversized tv remotes

This is me, adjusting the preload on my goldwing

I'll bet there's a strong customer demand for larger and clearer instrument characters now that they've moved to tft and Honda R&D have given it top priority.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're anticipating the newest generation of flip up modular helmet with integrated NVG

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Rather than sell my tiger I decided to keep it and in doing so added some new side cases to make it even dadlier

I like these because they clearly have socks and sandals levels of function vs form, but they've also got the little chamfer at the bottom so you can get a sick lean on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

Sweet Jesus

Full circle to a needlessly cramped car

Don't forget it also handles like garbage!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Excuse me sir, this is Cycle Asylum. Please take you “car” elsewhere.

lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue that riding a dad bike is proof you've done all the loving you're ever going to and the stitch just makes it permanent

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Square wife, square life

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tourcel

Goldcel

Motocel?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dog Case posted:

I put my storage tote top box back on and it's such a pro tier quality of life improvement. Takeout containers fit perfectly inside, ever so lightly cradled by the sides like it was designed for it

Nice DRZ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just get a fucken car my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like sticking the wing engine into a Miata would've been a better way to spend the resources