Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Is there a way to make specific buffs larger and more obvious? I would find monk much easier to play if I could tell at a glance when I have Leaden Fist and how long I have left on Disciplined Fist. Those two don't stand out enough with the default size, but blowing up the entire buff bar would be too distracting, especially on other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

KoB posted:

This isnt entirely true, you can break out the different buffs/debuffs into separate bars, and make the bar prioritize your buffs first. Not perfect, but it can move debuffs and FC/food buffs away from the important ones.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There is an option to prioritize your own enhancements on the status bar.

Go to HUD Layout, Status Info (enhancements) and then click the gear.

I don't know exactly what it does, but it probably puts them at the front of the list and keeps them at a more consistent spot. Maybe increase the size of the element or move it somewhere easier to read.

However... There is also an element called Status Info (Conditional Enhancements) that you can enable. Leaden fist in particular is part of that one, but twin snakes is not. I'm not entirely sure what counts as either. You can separate that one out a little bit. Enable it by selecting the Status Info (Enhancements) option again, hit the gear, and select the option to have 4 bars.

Thank you, both! I managed to get it figured out. It ended up kinda janky, with Leaden Fist and and Form Shift in one bar, Twin Snakes and the various forms in another, and party buffs in the same bar as things like food and guild buffs. But that's fine; part of the problem was that LF and TS are both red-on-yellow icons, so having them larger and in separate locations will help with telling them apart.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I finally got around to levelling Blue Mage, and I did the powerlevelling thing with a friend, so now I'm level 70 with exactly one spell. Does anyone have a list of where the useful spells are?

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://ffxivcollect.com/spells

You also have your blue mage spellbook which tells you where each spell is from.

Thanks!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What server are you on? If you're on Aether or Crystal, I could come and help.

I appreciate the offer, but I have a couple friends working on Blue as well.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
My friend's account got hacked and she's having trouble getting any action on it. She has an EU account and tells me their customer service is unavailable because it's the weekend. Anyone have any experience with this? We've already demoted her in the guild so the hacker can't steal anything from us.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Monk Glams?!

https://twitter.com/NoperQ/status/1486588641409335297?s=20&t=5hA0FOPIZAU1QPAbKL6Rsg

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Argas posted:

hosed up if true

So do Hroth. It was the hardest part of adjusting after I fantasia'd.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Anno posted:

I’m finding myself very overleveled going through ARR. Currently I’m a 33 PLD and I think the quest I’m on is marked for level 24. Is there enough XP to progress more than one class, switching back and forth? It’d be a bit annoying to catch the lower leveled one up but probably better now than later if there’s more than enough XP.

As someone said earlier, doing roulettes regularly will let you keep two classes going. But XP starts slowing down a lot once quests get to the 30s and 40s. There are a bunch of dungeons in the 15-20 zone that can get you pretty far ahead, but when I tried to dual-class on my first playthrough (about two years ago, so after the ARR rework), I eventually had to choose one.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I like to have full battle effects on for dungeons but turn them off for everything else. Or, rather, I forget to turn them off for everything else and then have to fumble in the settings mid-battle every time I enter an alliance raid.

Same. Also, I like seeing the big summons in other content, so I've gotten really quick at typing the petsize command. I should probably just make a pair of macros.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

Oh we glam postin'?

We glam postin'! I like the angel look.

https://twitter.com/NoperQ/status/1486588999200247809?s=20&t=9eWq_2Yj06T96UZVVVrGMw

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I was considering resubbing for Criterion, but a friend said that the only reward was a single mount and another way to get materia. The base version would be content for content's sake, but that doesn't seem like much of a reward for Savage-level work.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
To further explain, if you're fighting three or more enemies, it's always more damage to use your AoE, plus it prevents anyone from stealing aggro from you. Other classes may not have any AoE at low levels and thus have to focus one mob at a time, but you do, and you should be using them.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I recommend reading the Potencies on your abilities if you are having trouble with it. Let's assume you're level 30, so you have all three hits of your main combo but only a single AoE on the GCD. It might feel like you're doing more damage with the big single hits and using AoE for enmity, but you absolutely are not:

Fast Blade - 200 potency
Riot Blade - 280 potency
Rage of Halone - 330 potency
Total combo potency: 810 over 3 GCDs

Total Eclipse - 100 potency per target.

Even if you are only tanking 3 enemies at once you are doing 900 potency in the same amount of time that the full combo is doing 810 potency. These numbers get even more pronounced at level 40 when you get Prominence, which is a second weaponskill for your AoE (making it a 2-hit combo) for 170 potency per target, or 1,170 potency in 3 GCDs if you're fighting 3 enemies.

Often times you're fighting way more than 3 enemies at once too, like 5-6 as you begin to pull multiple packs at once, and at that point the numbers are HUGELY stacked toward AoE abilities. But again, even at three targets and only mashing a single AoE ability over and over, it's still better.

Those single-target numbers are with the potency boost you get at 84. The numbers for where OP is at are even lower, so the difference between them and AoE is even more stark.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

some old goon quote about trying to help someone posted:

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

This means that, by the transitive property, we can assume that all goblins are gay.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Thinking about returning to this game after 4/5 ? years or so

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqxy3yjpUb1rrbe5p.mp4

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm late to RDM predictions but: new finisher will be another duality thing like Verflare/Verholy, but instead on just doing more black/white, it'll be Vergravity and Verhamut.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Next trailer is going to have the WoL dramatically throwing off the burning cloak to reveal the new job; the cloak isn't part of it.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It's not, but the audience for media that lets you live vicariously through rich and decadent people is larger than the audience for media where you live vicariously through catgirls that punch gods.

This is an indication of several things that are wrong with society.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

:siren: What Are The Dawntrail Caster And Limtied Jobs, Wrong Answers Only Edition! :siren:

Caster: Muscle Wizard. Occasionally dips into melee to build resources, but otherwise spends most of their time shooting energy beams from their hands with long cast times. Artifact gear never includes a shirt. Burst phase has a transformation like Reaper's, but it's just your character with bigger muscles and a different hair color.

It's Dragon Ball Z, I don't know how much more obvious I can make it.

Limited: Freelancer. Mix and match abilities and traits from other jobs. Unlock Ultra Red Mage by adding Dual-Cast, Black Magic, and White Magic together. Be completely invincible by combining every tanks level 1 Tank Mastery trait and all their defensives. Samurai's rotation with Greased Lightning and Dragoon's oGCDs. The possibilities are endless!

I genuinely want both of these. Don't judge.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
When I did In From The Cold, I got lost for awhile and finally found where I was supposed to be only to just barely lose. So not only was I frustrated by my first, over-long attempt, I then had to deal with the slow, boring, frustrating gameplay a second time, which completely destroyed any enjoyment I could have gotten out of the following cutscenes.

It didn't help that all the tension of that moment felt entirely fake, because (major EW spoilers) I'm the main character and this is a story being sold to me, so there's no world where this has any long-term effect on my character. The worst that could happen is that Zenos would get to cause problems while in my body, but that didn't even occur to me at the time because I was too busy being annoyed by the unfun gameplay I was slogging through.

Endwalker had a plenty of very high highs, but the lows were (IMO) the lowest since ARR. It doesn't help that Shadowbringer was all highs, and I started playing this game recently enough that I only caught up with the MSQ during mid-ShB patch content, so it was still pretty fresh in my mind.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Ya'll, dogpiling me isn't making me want to engage in conversation very much. But I acknowledge that I didn't make my point terribly well because I needed to rush out the door, so let's try again:

People were talking about a divisive story/gameplay event that they enjoyed but maybe some people didn't, so I chimed in to say I was one of the "didn't"s. The frustration of the gameplay element took me out of the story. This is just as valid an experience as the people who were fully invested.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Those aren't the same thing at all. A setback in the second chapter of a book can have long-term and interesting consequences.

My character had all his cool powers taken away, and then I had to go through a gameplay experience that I found extremely frustrating. Twice. And the frustration took me out of the story and led to me predicting that this frustrating experience would have no long-term or interesting effects, which would make all the frustration entirely pointless. And I was right.

You realize I can dislike one part of a story and have a verisimilitude-breaking experience without that informing the entirety of my media literacy, right? I don't apply this logic to every part of every story I read, just in this one moment where I didn't like what was happening and wanted it to be over with. I really like FF14, and I think it has a good story, for the most part. Heck, I think Shadowbringers is the best story in JRPGs period.

I didn't like this part of the story. That is all. Can everyone please stop telling me I'm stupid and don't understand stories now?

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Juice is stored in the balls. Or rather, in the big ball that's above your other balls.