Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Not a vet, but alopecia, if you've eliminated the obvious suspects, is really hard to pin down. This is honestly something that's may require blood tests and possibly a skin biopsy. It could be stress, it could be an autoimmune condition, or many things in between. If your vet doesn't have any idea and it gets worse then it's time for a second opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I think people are interested, but it's one of those things where it's hard to have a good conversation on without getting more data.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No need to rush it if he's improving, and the residual scratching might be a few things. Maybe the steroids are not fully suppressing the cause of the itch, only most of it. Maybe he's just unused to being bald in those spots and is curious or is feeling himself, or is feeling a breeze. Keep an eye on it and monitor his progress.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Parasites/fungus/etc. are pretty easy to rule out and if the symptoms are resolving with only steroids then it may simply be idiopathic with no readily discernible cause.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Good luck, though I'd suggest transitioning to new food slowly since they'll be experiencing a ton of change already.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Poor thing, at least you have something that clearly manages his symptoms.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Well that sucks, does the vet have an idea of what else it may be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm sorry to hear that, are the side effects of steroid use manageable at least? Sometimes the best we can do is maintain QOL.