Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That was a really cool mission.

Does this game have a map/campaign editor? With the relatively simplistic setup of maps and triggers I think you could make an awesome series of maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I see you didn't use many mines during this mission, but I did see a lot of choke-points where it would have come in handy (at least from my perspective). I'm guessing from the amount of money we'll be getting from all of the bonus missions that we'll be going into the final mission with all of the boosts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really enjoyed this mission. The moba layout makes for an interesting blend of needing to attack and defend.

Unless you have siege guns, because this level gets chumped by those monsters with all the BP it gives you. Put one in each lane and you only have to worry about towers spawners and their like.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Donkringel posted:

Does this game have a map/campaign editor?

It does not. Definitely agree this would have been a good game for it, but ... one-man dev on the other hand *shrug*.

Tombot posted:

I'm guessing from the amount of money we'll be getting from all of the bonus missions that we'll be going into the final mission with all of the boosts.

I don't think I'll have enough money for all of that, but I'm going to try it without *any* boosts. Because I'm insane. We've reached the point in the game where the missions are all new to me, I've seen a bit of the final plot map but haven't actually made a serious attempt at it myself, so ... we'll see if I can do that or not.

Re: mines - once they start throwing around things like tower spawners I just don't think they are as useful, and since I was bouncing around to multiple paths ... I just wanted lots of guys with grenades. If they had brute/enraged/spitter spawn I might have gone a different route.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I wish you luck. I'm awfy worried the last mission is gonna throw some serious bullshit at you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
The Grotto Hunt (36:05)

Second hunt mission was definitely challenging and more tense. Not particularly looking forward to tangling with the Abyss version. For now though, we'll be on the Ruins style of random maps next.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This mission looks like it was made even more difficult due to the lack of Build points, you really had to squeeze every bit of efficiency you could out of everything they gave you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ruins (31:57)

Infested Planet is now openly admitting that the difficulty is unreasonable at this stage. Kind of makes you curious just exactly how much joy there will be when we're fully to the sharp end of the stick.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Wow, those initial mutations just combo's together so well in a giant middle finger to anyone that took out a hive.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I feel like by "full compliment of weapons," what they meant was "Come here only after you've gotten access to all your unlockable options" rather than buying a bunch of extra help for the mission...

But either way, those were some nasty mutations at the start. Nice improv.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You were basically paralyzed at the beginning there, great job worming your way out of it. Also, the name of the map being "Ruins" had me assume that this would open up a bit more lore about the planet and it's origins, but it just looks like an ordinary map to me.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

TeeQueue posted:

I feel like by "full compliment of weapons," what they meant was "Come here only after you've gotten access to all your unlockable options" rather than buying a bunch of extra help for the mission...

Thanks. This is possible, but there's also the 'veteran squad' bit. I just don't think that means 'all riflemen' but you could take it multiple ways.

Tombot posted:

he name of the map being "Ruins" had me assume that this would open up a bit more lore about the planet and it's origins, but it just looks like an ordinary map to me.

None of the random maps give you lore, that's only for the plot ones and well, only one of those left. Randoms are just 'go deal with this crap and get more money' and that's about the size of it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Forgot to mention this here before, but taking a brief haitus from doing more missions as the final expansion for AI War 2 is coming. Once that launch is passed and has died down (I would estimate round the end of the month), I'll be back updating this.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

Forgot to mention this here before, but taking a brief haitus from doing more missions as the final expansion for AI War 2 is coming. Once that launch is passed and has died down (I would estimate round the end of the month), I'll be back updating this.

Do you do requests? Once the campaign is over can you save up and unlock all the mercenaries possible for one hard mission and roflstomp the aliens? I know you mentioned also doing the other version with the morale and such, but thought it could be a neat side idea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Donkringel posted:

Do you do requests? Once the campaign is over can you save up and unlock all the mercenaries possible for one hard mission and roflstomp the aliens? I know you mentioned also doing the other version with the morale and such, but thought it could be a neat side idea.

A full set of mercenaries is insufficient to stomp the aliens on the hardest difficulty maps on extreme. It will be your lifeline against a horrible death.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Donkringel posted:

Once the campaign is over can you save up and unlock all the mercenaries possible for one hard mission and roflstomp the aliens? I know you mentioned also doing the other version with the morale and such, but thought it could be a neat side idea.

Depends on the request, really. In this case, I don't know if I can win the rest of the missions without buying mercs, so I'm just going to say 'we'll see'.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Ruins Raid (29:46)

Made it through another Raid map. I'm enjoying these less as we go up, as so much of it seems to be determined by what mutations I get and when. On the other hand it is teaching me better ways to deal with some of the mutations. There are a couple - including Vile Tongues which I think are bugged as they seem to be spawning twice back-to-back some of the time - which seem to be a hard 'nope, you're not winning this time' draw when they hit early on. In any case another hurdle cleared and we have another uninspiring trip to Survival land coming up before finishing up the storyline.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Is there a reason you don't make much use of minigunners or flamers? You used flamers against carapace enemies, but I've usually mixed one or two of them in with my standard group pretty quickly since they seemed better at keeping riff-raff out of the way of all the other shots aiming towards the hive. Minigunners are surprisingly durable (practically immortal when supported by a healer) even on expert as well , and they effortlessly mow down defenses you'd otherwise spend rockets on so you can make your ammo stretch to more hives before you need to back off. A pair of them are practically impossible to stop, though that's a luxury few maps can provide.

There's plenty of counters to them, of course. Assassins in particular really aggravated me, but I didn't try the tactic of swapping out my soldier's equipment so of course I'd hate them. Anything involving mimic eggs was annoying or painful depending on how attentive I was. Still, keeping the soldier count down to just 6 or 7 and getting more upgraded soldiers may help with some of the maps.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

In general I just find it more effective to go a little higher on the soldier count and not go into the elites unless necessary, because the loss of one soldier like that is quite painful given how much longer they take to respawn and it means a big chunk of your BP is doing nothing in the interim. Nothing super-specific or complicated, it just seems to work more consistently for me in most situations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

In general I just find it more effective to go a little higher on the soldier count and not go into the elites unless necessary, because the loss of one soldier like that is quite painful given how much longer they take to respawn and it means a big chunk of your BP is doing nothing in the interim. Nothing super-specific or complicated, it just seems to work more consistently for me in most situations.

So you mean to tell us that you have to beat the swarmers at their own game, eh...?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Elite Survival (19:50)

We found something worse than the Survival map. Elite Survival does the same thing, except the time between waves is shorter and the mutations/spawns start pretty much immediately. I had to take an aggressive approach suggested by a viewer, basically the 'human wave', and throw concern about my marines well-being to the winds to get on top of this one. Didn't bother playing out further than that for sake of my sanity, and viewer sanity maychance by enhanced as well. This is definitely in the category of 'doing this only for the LP', if I wasn't recording this game you can bet I would be skipping this scenario.

Story Mode is now rounding the final turn, as it were. You can be totally forgiven if you've forgotten about the plot - I had to sort of check myself and do a 'wait, what was going on? Oh yeah, killed the general clone, got bioweapons to try to take down the Harvester, the whole gang is back for one final ride, yeah'. Endgame is up next, and it has a doozy of a gimmick; after that, the worst of the Randoms await.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 15, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy! Does it make purchases more expensive or something as irritating as that?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'll spoil enough to say it's not about what I'm able to do. It's about the Harvester being not nice to the human race in a new way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Samovar posted:

Oh boy! Does it make purchases more expensive or something as irritating as that?

Oh no, it is much, much sillier than that. We're gonna need those bioweapons.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Endgame (37:54)

The 'plot finale' of Infested Planet is here. Used a variety of strategies in this one but it's really all about the start in this map. Start fast or die fast. And there are words about what happens to our characters afterwards at the end as well. Apparently the crazy plan was in fact enough to end the Harvester threat ... at least here.

The pain has not yet ended for the Story Mode though. There are yet five more servings of suffering among the Random maps to be 'enjoyed'.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The end, no moral.

No, it's not just you. I'm giving 33%/33%/33% odds to the Doctor going mad with power in the sequel, her loving up the harvester storage and releasing it on a populated planet, or both.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I don't know what y'all are on about. That ending was just good ideas.txt

Well, except for drake. Settling down with a new career that doesn't get him nearly killed repeatedly and strings don't have to get pulled for him to actually get paid?

What was the man thinking?

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 24, 2022

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Y'know, when you titled this thread "This Planet Blows", I thought you were subtly implying that in the final mission we would use some kind of bomb to destroy the entire planet to stop the bugs from spreading. Regardless, very well done on that final story mission, you certainly made it look easier than it probably was.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

'Blows' as in 'Sucks', not as in 'Explodes' :) Or just Owen Wilson in Shanghai Noon.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Abyss (39:45)

Wasn't supposed to go live till tomorrow morning, but whatevs - I pushed the wrong thing apparently and am rolling with it. Mostly just glad there is only one more difficulty tier (in the Story) after this. The 'fun' continues to escalate, and many marines died in this misadventure.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Missed the last mission when it was posted, what a bummer. Wasn't expecting the Harvester to paraphrase the Bible as it's last words, tho.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Better late than never and all that jazz

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While the aliens don't have a pre-set kill limit before they shut down human wave attacks are nonetheless effective.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Abyss Raid (32:56)

A trend is definitely developing here. No matter what I start out trying to do, by the end the carnage has grown and a new record for marine deaths set. But hey, we smashed the previous mark for profit, so at least there's that?

Three more scenarios left in the Story, with the final Hunt mission coming up next.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Abyss Raid (32:56)

A trend is definitely developing here. No matter what I start out trying to do, by the end the carnage has grown and a new record for marine deaths set. But hey, we smashed the previous mark for profit, so at least there's that?

Three more scenarios left in the Story, with the final Hunt mission coming up next.

That was a delightful mess. Looking forward to when you end up killing more soldiers than aliens!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yeah I think I'll pass on that thanks.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for doing an Infested Planet LP!

I started playing this game back when it was a flash game (Attack of The Paper Zombies) and it hooked me with the soothing cycle of watching the overall enemy patterns, pushing out some strongpoints, watching how enemy patterns adjust, repeat.

I think a key element in what makes Infested Planet 'feel right' is the economy that always lets you refund %100 and always lets soldiers respawn as long as you hold at least one base. It gives players the freedom to always re-tool their strategy. The game lets you mess up and you usually feel like you have safe opportunities to bounce back. Also, allowing orders to be issued while the game is paused is a feature I wish every single player RTS offered.

It's a game I recommend to others so hopefully this thread encourages more people to pick it up.

If anyone in the thread buys it, the planetary campaign DLC is a must-buy in my opinion. It generates dynamic campaigns with lots of replay value and give you more opportunities to try out tech and loadout strategies.

(edit) Also I love the environmental art in this game, and the crazy number of enemies that can be on screen without any performance hit. I hope if Rocket Bear ever makes a sequel they don't make it 3D.

Scut fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 10, 2022

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Abyss Hunt (56:55)

The Hunts are now over. I made a number of fairly poor mistakes at the end, but took what I thought was a rather amusing approach to cheesing the final Hunt map here, which actually didn't occur to me until partway through the mission. Took a long time obviously, but there's something to be said for not having to deal with all the extra mutations. Just two Terminus left now, and we'll see if I end up having to use any of my saved up cash to get through those.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now you're just showing off...

But where would the nest spawner... spawn if there were no original nests on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

They can't. All of those mutations, clone strike, assassins, tower spawners, all the ones that need a hive to spawn at, they will just keep trying - and failing - to spawn at their usual intervals.