Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I got to play my first LGS pods last night, got back into the game after ~20 years recently and have just been playing kitchen table magic with a few friends over the past month. Me and one other from my home games went to a casual commander night.

Game 1 - Three players, I was running a lightly upgraded Faldorn/Exit from Exile deck playing against a Arahbo cat tribal deck and a Jareth mono white token deck. Exile cards were treating me right and I had my way with the board. Some rules confusion when the Jareth player cast Valor Made Real on their Jareth and blocked my all out attack, and we gave the 11 damage to each blocked creature rather than distributing the power, wiping my board. I didn’t think that was right but didn’t want the game to break down into rules lawyering so we kept it moving. I was able to rebound and take the game, then looked up the rules on blocking multiple attackers to add a little insult to injury :allears:

Game 2: Arahbo returned and the Jareth player had another mono white deck, cannot remember their commander but their deck was table politics themed (you and another player draw cards, etc) with a new player rolling with the Gisa and Geralf Grave Danger precon, the player was a week into MTG and seemed like it was the deck out of box. I used my Zangief Voltron deck but used Kresh instead of Zangief on a whim, throwing Gief into the 99. Kresh actually worked pretty well as an alternate commander and he got pumped up to about 27/27 before taken off the board. Ultimately scooped first when the Arahbo and mono white players 2v1ed me while the precon player Was There.

Wanted to find a third game but was too hungry and left, but had a great time! I was worried that my decks would go up against some of the nasty cards you read horror stories about but it was a real good experience, and just learning about different types of decks and how they work was a great reason to go out and see what people are playing outside of the kitchen table. Can’t wait to do it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Redezga posted:

He doesn't even want to be a toxic player, but his sole idea of avoiding being a toxic player is a personal choice not to play a blue deck.

Aphrodite posted:

I vote you all Thoracle him repeatedly. The combo is like $20.

Okay I’m on the power gamer’s side now

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I play the Urza precon when I play stock precon games, it’s an easy one to pilot (play a buncha artifacts and Urza’s tokens get bigger) and the full deck of retro frame card art is an eye catcher

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I’m gonna 1v1 the dogmeat and moth man decks later today completely stock, excited for those false god fifth land drops :sickos:

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Another way to upgrade is with a sharpie