Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I get why people like the kind of experiences it generates, but that kind of randomness is exactly what I don’t want in a long social deduction game. Making the game draw out to the last night makes the game less about any of the skills involved in solving and playing a game and more about telling a story as a group. That’s what I meant about it being more of a guided role play session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I think anybody who thinks BotC isn't about skill-based problem solving hasn't played BotC.

The BotC storyteller doesn't add randomness, they add uncertainty, which is very different, and in my opinion makes for a better game. You get into that "I know that I know but I also know that I don't know" logic. You know what the Storyteller told you, but you also know (in a bound, factual, rules-oriented way) reasons why the Storyteller might have lied to you. If they lied to you, then you can reason from that. The Storyteller can only have lied to you if you're the town Drunk, which would mean that the other person can't be the Virgin, so either they're the Virgin or you're the Drunk, not both, so from there you can reason...

In my personal experience, the people who prefer WW/Mafia tend to be the Sherlock types who enjoy explaining how they socially deducted everything, whereas BotC is much more of a group exercise where both teams need to actually coordinate and work together.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Storyteller agency also does one very important thing - it makes it interesting and fun to be the storyteller.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I haven't played it, but I've read the roles and scenarios and seen it played enough to measure the impact the story teller has. I don't think the storyteller influencing the game removes skill and choice, but it does reduce it. The previous poster even said they make choices as the storyteller randomly to shake thing up. It's still Werewolf at heart and requires social problem solving and probability management, but that extra layer of haze and second guessing is unappealing at every level to me.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Oh, and anyone have thoughts on the Divinity board game?

One of my friends is really interested but after watching some play throughs it doesn’t look amazing. Combat looks like it takes way too long, and from what I can see players are going to spend one combat figuring out their combos and then doing them over and over again for the rest of the campaign. Even paid previewers seemed bored with it.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I honestly am in awe of how good it turned out to be, because I expected it to be completely awful (having backed it and then waited for four years and several different designers before getting the product).

Every area, at least after the intro parts, has different environments and the game really revolves around finding synergy with other players to make combos, but you're frequently thrown into scenarios where your established combo doesn't work and you've got to work together to figure out something new. The narrative is fun and there are absolutely tonnes of decisions to be made about where to go next - it's estimated that one playthrough will let you see maybe a third of the total content.

It's not as good a game as Frosthaven when you talk about a pure gameplay level, but the narrative is way better than Frosthaven and it stays true to the videogame idea of making your character any way you want. You can also completely respec your character every time you level up, so there's no risk of being stuck in a rut for the entire campaign unless you think you've stumbled into something that is always going to be good. Which you probably haven't, because the game (so far) frequently switches up enemies and how to best kill them.

The monster minis are completely unnecessary, though they are beautiful. The minis (beyond the hero characters in the base game) are pretty much just bosses and summons. Bosses only ever appear one at a time with a black standee marked 'G', so the mini is pointless, and summons (other than the black cat, which is only available through the expansions with minis) are always on the same space as your hero so that's also pointless. We're currently doing the Haunted Keep expansion which has been a huge change for us and how our characters have to react to situations, so that's a lot of fun. We also skipped the entirety of Fort Joy, and if you have played the video game you know how huge that is - but we're not under-leveled as a result, because we went on a whole different path.

I'm deliberately not reading ahead on any of the locations because the surprises each one brings is really exciting. I paid for this game years ago and only didn't ask for a refund out of morbid curiosity because I thought it was going to be a trainwreck with beautiful minis, but it turned out to be a lot of fun (at least so far).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't played it, but I've read the roles and scenarios and seen it played enough to measure the impact the story teller has. I don't think the storyteller influencing the game removes skill and choice, but it does reduce it. The previous poster even said they make choices as the storyteller randomly to shake thing up. It's still Werewolf at heart and requires social problem solving and probability management, but that extra layer of haze and second guessing is unappealing at every level to me.

I hear you, and I think on paper it does sound bad. In reality, with a good ST that just isn’t the way it plays out, it’s fundamentally a solvable puzzle with social elements.

That said it absolutely isn’t for everyone. I have friends who ask to sit out at game night if we’re debating about playing it (and then we ultimately play something else instead).

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Bottom Liner posted:

From everything you've posted, I don't think you would enjoy BotC, but probably not for the reasons you think. BotC is bar none the most skill-intensive social deduction game I've played, and I've tried a whole lot of them.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Nearly home from the bar having played a couple games of Blood on the Clocktower. Now, it's a game I have been eyeing for a very, very long time, have watched multiple plays of, read the wiki and strategy on, and all the rest long before playing it - I already knew it was exactly my type of game. That said, it was an absolute blast and actually playing it entirely lived up to imagining playing it. Really pumped to play again, just tons of fun. This group has decided to make it a regular, monthly thing so we'll have a nice dedicated group for many plays moving forward.

Games went: townsfolk lose, then townsfolk win. I was townsfolk both games. Keeping in mind all but two of seven players were brand new to the game (well, six and a half with me being a half because I'd dug into it so deeply before actually playing it)...

In the first game I correctly deduced the minion from plays, and correctly deduced the demon from social cues. Unfortunately, an accidental vote from a townsfolk (who maintains they totally did not intend to have their hand up) put me on the chopping block. Panicking because a townsfolk execution guaranteed a loss for team blue - I was second higher-voted execution after a successful vote on the execution of the demon - I made a nomination and... nominated the Virgin (just blanked on them probably-likely being the Virgin) and instantly lost us the game due to three townsfolk and one demon being alive during last execution votes. I die, demon executes, evil wins. Woops! Two-man combo of misplay/accident to cost us the win. Live and learn! I don't regret the second beer anyway.

Second game was a dud due to rookie error. The demon bluffed as the Chef which is (a) a terrible bluff cause executing a first-night-only information townsfolk just makes sense (b) they bluffed it wrong anyway by claiming they got information a second time, which is not possible and not a mistake the ST would have made. ST did make a small mistake in the first game but this one was extremely unlikely. Easy execute and insta-loss for team red. Anti-climactic but, hey, still fun.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 3, 2024

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
BGG has an interesting designer diary for the Heat expansion: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/160567/designer-diary-heat-heavy-rain

Looks like they have 6 more expansions they would like to release each year.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

an actual dog posted:

It wasn't a vote, it was the one player who's the demon deciding who to kill. The storyteller has tools to stop that and probably should have, but also being a good storyteller in BOTC is extremely hard so stuff like this can get skipped. Also, the butler is a funky role that kind of sucks for a new player, it's one of the outsider roles that are on the good side but have a drawback.

I'm a big BOTC fan but it's also a game where you have to roll with stuff like this. So if doesn't click, that's totally understandable.

I was the butler for both of my first two games and can confirm. My experience of BOTC was pretty rough and I played about six games before giving it up because I somehow ended up as one of the outsiders every time. It felt like the game was picking on me by the end - I remember saying before one game I'd be happy with any role except the tinker, whose 'ability' is just 'You can die at any time for no reason.' Guess which role I picked randomly from a bag.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 4, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whenever I get the pleasure of playing BSG, fate conspires almost always to make me a Cylon. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I stayed a human. This is fun, since being the informed minority is powerful. But also, everyone else kinda takes as a baseline that I am a Cylon and doesn't afford me a lick of trust.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I typed up this lengthy response before realizing you may not have any interest in playing again or otherwise care to learn strategy. But anyway, here it is in case you do, or someone else does. AN is firmly a top-two favorite game (SI competing) for me now so I love talking about it!

Played another round of Ark Nova with the same 2 opponents. So my second game ever along with the other guy plus the owner who has played only a couple more.

I watched a few videos on basic strategy, and while a bunch of it went straight over my head because I couldn’t even remember 100% of the rules at this point, I did internalize a few key tips, mainly which maps are good, which actions people generally upgrade first, and the power of an early Conservation, along with the few cards that are just straight OP. Looking back, your advice is pretty similar.

Our first game we played map A. This game we played the random maps. I took Park Restaurant from my choice. My opponents were Ice Cream Parlor and Hollywood Hills. This caused the game to be even longer than the first game because of the loss of the map A start bonuses. The game was also long because we all got a really slow start on animals, I think somewhat because of the initial draws and also we just don’t understand how to push the pace at this point. The first few rounds saw a lot of sponsors being played and the Parlor guy was focusing on covering spaces and Kiosks.

I looked at the Conservations and targeted one low level one I could definitely get right after the first break, a 2 location icon. I got a partner zoo and played my only animal then took us to break. Round 2 immediately got the conservation, using the +guy cube (per video advice) and flipping a card. I had planned to flip Build first per most recommendations, but sitting there with Sponsors about to be in my 5, holding a 5 sponsor that immediately would give me +guy, I decided to go for that. Since I had sponsors flipped, I (at some point) played Basic Research for 3 CP, and Diversity Researcher which seems to be regarded as a noob trap, but appropriately seemed really handy to me.

In stark contrast to last game where I had a hard time upgrading anything, I took all the Conservation track bonuses first, and had 4 cards flipped before anyone else even had 3. Both my opponents took the +guy on the track bonus instead of the card flip and regretted it heavily later in the game. I spent the rest of the game trying to set up for Conservations and insta-snapped Bald Eagle when it came up on the board. My big play was then to support a conservation using the cube that gave me a free Aviary, then ending the game with play 2 animals, a 4 asian bird and Bald Eagle, then using the extra action supporting a 5 CP conservation to release a 4 asian animal.

I won by a lot, the Hollywood player made a reasonable comeback with a bunch of crazy sponsors but my CP lead was too big, and the Parlor player had a similar game to my first game, where he got behind on upgrades and felt like he really couldn’t do much compared to us.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SettingSun posted:

Whenever I get the pleasure of playing BSG, fate conspires almost always to make me a Cylon. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I stayed a human. This is fun, since being the informed minority is powerful. But also, everyone else kinda takes as a baseline that I am a Cylon and doesn't afford me a lick of trust.

Way back when we would play BSG regularly the Cylon's were on such a winning streak that NOBODY wanted to be one of the Cylon's that finally lost to the humans. I also tended to be a Cylon a lot and it was kind of stressful (in a fun way). Eventually the humans won while I was a human so that felt pretty good. That game generally was one of our favorites but this was a very social group who got a real kick of out blaming each other and laughing about how we always ended up throwing everyone in the brig eventually. We once invited a player who was not very social and got really angry when people accused him of stuff, so much that he sort of flipped out and revealed his card to everyone and effectively ruined the game 'See!? See?! I TOLD you I wasnt a Cylon!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I haven't played BSG in like 12 years and I saw that the game fetches kinda ridiculous prices on eBay now. I absolutely adored the game but I kinda got tired of hidden traitor games and I'm still tired of them now, but I saw that the base game + all expansions could easily go for like $500. But now that I know that I kinda like the nostalgia of holding onto my old copy.