Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Getting 60 points on the leg tuck as a guy was easier than planks, because you could get 60 points in about 2 seconds. I got to where I could (barely) max the leg tuck event, being sure that if nothing else the plank would be merely an alternate event. Now I guess I need to go plank. Passing is no problem at all, maxxing seems pretty miserable and a mind game for which I have not prepared.

It makes sense that they trashed the event that was just "gently caress you, women," the event.

During diagnostics over the last couple years, I've seen so many young guys just smashing the dead lift and the sprint drag carry and then just... outright quitting or failing the 2 mile run. Just.. just move your legs, guys, the passing pace is really slow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

lol, why not just keep the APFT?

Because situps can go gently caress themselves

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Situps were simultaneously my beat event and the event that is the worst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I personally am stronger and faster after having trained to the ACFT vs the APFT. Getting the bare minimum ACFT score is going to be seen the same way as getting a 180 on the AFPT: Pretty damned bad!

there's no real punishment (for now), but the goal in our unit is 500 points on the ACFT for leadership, which takes some real effort and roundedness.

Also the test is maybe easy for people who have done APFTs and been in for years, but looking at the test numbers, people are failing the ACFT left and right. Even young dudes are just straight quitting or failing the very slow run because they get loving smoked by the deadlift and sprint drag carry. The ACFT standard 2 mile run is the most failed event.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really do not like heavy ruck bullshit like loading up 70 pounds and stomping around unnecessarily, but about 35 pounds at a jog is kind of nice? It’s a weird thing that I hated when I was younger and then after an unrelated injury, worked on core and back strength a lot and now I kind of like and feel good from once a week running 5 miles or so with a 35 pound pack, maybe an easy 10-11 minute mile pace.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's why I stay at 35 pounds or less. The stupid heavy dismounted infantry patrol loads don't matter to me much. I will always have to be able to jog or sprint in weight. It is just part of the job, and doing this once a week or so, topping out at 5 miles or doing intervals over the past few years has resulted in my back feeling better, no knee issues, no ankle issues, stronger core and shoulders, especially when combined with weights and interval training rather and sprints rather than "all steady cardio run all the time."

It also helps that from my peak weight, I lost about 15-20 pounds, but am stronger overall. I had gone without weight for a while, but before a deployment to Iocations in Iraq, started getting more serious about ability to move while wearing kit. It's all part of the risk of this work, and for now I value being able to move with kit rather than avoiding ever wearing weight on me while moving. While getting to the nearest mortar bunker was rarely more than a 50-200 hundred meter dash, the movement to the serious bunker complexes if required was likely to be more than a mile, in full kit, with some inclines in between.

If I had to drop one weight training item, it'd be anything distance first. Doing agility drills (50-200 meters at a time) with weight is something I probably won't give up as long as I'm dumb and still in. Being able to get up, get down, run fast, pull things, etc, while wearing a vest are just too important and anecdotally seem to improve my overall balance and ankle resilience when doing common household/yard chores or hiking for pleasure or playing sports.

I did the "avoid weight, avoid distance running" game for a while in my 20s, and injuries were just worse and more common then. I've had less injuries and dropped chronic pain to near zero by keeping active with moderately heavy objects but not being boneheaded stupid about using too much weight or trying to compete for time (crossfit dumbassery).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot Take: After taking the new ACFT format with plank, age/gender categories, uh, score is almost exactly the same for me as a generic dude while being less hostile to people who can't do pullups or who are petite women who weigh about 2/3 what I do. I suck at throwing the ball, and I know it's like 80% just form, but I kind of refuse to buy a ball and practice in my back yard like a dweebo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Out to the aide to form a T. Hands do NOT have to be held off the ground, floating. Within some level of reason, you can do this slowly to maintain rhythm and keep your shoulders from burning out.

“Movement 3
Arm Extension HRP – immediately move both arms out to the side straightening the elbows into the T position. After reaching this position, the elbows bend to move the hands back under the shoulder.”

If they some day clarify that you have to hover hand it, I will be very annoyed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
When the last post unmasked, there was the option to keep masking. I stayed masked, and a handful of people seemed genuinely confused that I said I'd rather mask now than wait until the next outbreak and to not put on a mask until it was ordered.

And notably, in places like hospitals or even the mental health clinic and any other office where even admin medical professionals worked, the requirement never went away anyway...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The most recent brigade I was in had a team of civilian personal trainers. Pretty good, but also a small number of them for a whole brigade, and while soldiers did “okay” on the rest of the ACFT, the run performance from people who joined immediately pre or during pandemic was pretty bad, even compared to old field grades and senior NCOs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of, the DOD released a report on ways to address suicide.

Some of it is fine, if it can be done well. i.e.: Promote people who are good and not people who are vindictive psychopaths. Or don't "up or out" every MOS/position if they're fine, but don't want to promote. Others, eh....

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...rc-releases-re/

E: If you put sustainable in the title of something, it isn't

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Be all that you can be is back baby!

Missed recruiting/retention by 25%, lol.

Nope. Missed recruitment by 25%, made retention at 105% of mission. Those in are staying at high numbers. Those who were never in don’t want in.

And people are still getting booted for UCMJ, etc.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

That 105% number is probably misleading.

How so?

Since 2017, the army has been exceeding retention. Specific jobs struggle, but overall, it's been hovering around 100-105% for the last 5 years or so. Making 75% recruitment and 105% retention is still a net miss in goals.