Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers would have been annihilated by the Bills just like the Pats were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I'm sure the Raiders would have relished the idea of letting a rival into playoffs while simultaneously purposely going to play in Arrowhead stadium against the Chiefs, who beat the team in the regular season by a combined 90 points because Gus Bradley doesn't want to run cover 2 against Mahomes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers would have been annihilated by the Bills just like the Pats were

And it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable to watch. No offense.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable to watch. No offense.

Definitely agreed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I'm sure the Raiders would have relished the idea of letting a rival into playoffs while simultaneously purposely going to play in Arrowhead stadium against the Chiefs, who beat the team in the regular season by a combined 90 points because Gus Bradley doesn't want to run cover 2 against Mahomes

They would have taken it if that was the situation at hand.

But we couldn't stop the run so they had a chance to win it and they did. I would expect nothing less

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wentz doesn't need covid to choke

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh boy boy I’m so glad the Packers will be playing against the 49ers in the divisional round. I definitely don’t have traumatic memories of playoff games against the niners going back to 1998. Definitely not.

Rice loving fumbled the ball. Everyone loving knew it except the worthless sack of poo poo refs. Everyone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The problem with the AFC this year is that the majority of AFC teams refused to acknowledge the fact that the Steelers were bad.

If the Titans and the Browns and the Bills of the world had just simply beaten the Steelers the postseason would have looked a lot better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

The problem with the AFC this year is that the majority of AFC teams refused to acknowledge the fact that the Steelers were bad.

If the Titans and the Browns and the Bills of the world had just simply beaten the Steelers the postseason would have looked a lot better.

This was a more than normal any given Sunday year, the random losses were crazy around the league.

Also speaking of the whole tie thing I hadn't thought about it but just realized the Steelers made it in partially because they managed to eke out a tie against the Lions. Hell I'm not even hating, Mason Rudolph threw 50 passes in that game, that's an actual achievement.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

This was a more than normal any given Sunday year, the random losses were crazy around the league.

Bengals *handshake* Chiefs

Caption: putting the Steelers in their place.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Grittybeard posted:

Also speaking of the whole tie thing I hadn't thought about it but just realized the Steelers made it in partially because they managed to eke out a tie against the Lions. Hell I'm not even hating, Mason Rudolph threw 50 passes in that game, that's an actual achievement.

That game was so fuckin' stupid. Goff literally couldn't throw for most of it and also we were trotting out something called Ryan Santoso at kicker and he whiffed in OT.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Still laughing really hard at how open Gronk was on this play.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1483611531057192967?t=Edtno6IIAXGyXMzTsD-5zQ&s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel like the goal line PA pass to a wide as gently caress open TE, FB, or OT always works. But I’m sure it’s selection bias or whatever.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like the goal line PA pass to a wide as gently caress open TE, FB, or OT always works. But I’m sure it’s selection bias or whatever.

DT not OT but you made me think of this. I was at this game and was dying laughing

https://youtu.be/gDtNlQ-oytg

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

DT not OT but you made me think of this. I was at this game and was dying laughing

https://youtu.be/gDtNlQ-oytg

Lmao I knew what this was before I clicked. That dance was an all timer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Giovanni Bernard is legitimately an incredible pass blocker.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's better in pass blocking situations than most linemen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's better in pass blocking situations than most linemen.

Well, good timing that he’s back then.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

:boom:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Gio is the player I miss the most on the Bengals.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's not actually always, I've seen it covered before, but it seems so rare that it's absolutely worth trying in every goal line situation unless you're 100% sure you can pound it in. And preferably before 3rd down when they'll be waiting for it.

I would estimate it succeeds at LEAST 75% of the time if not 85%. Which is pretty crazy.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

During that Raiders-Bengals game I heard Tirico make at least three errors about basic factual stuff. Maybe I should call them flubs instead of errors; like he said "First and goal Raiders" after Cincinnati picked up a first down. There were two others that I noticed, but I don't remember what they were. It really stood out because I don't think these broadcasters make that kind of mistake very often. Is Tirico always like that, or is he slipping, or was I just paying more attention than usual because my team was in the playoffs? I know we hate on announcers a lot, but one thing that I think they're all really good at is just keeping up a near-constant stream of mostly-coherent chatter without the kind of little verbal slip ups that I make all the time when I talk, so it was really odd catching one of them messing up repeatedly.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Racing Stripe posted:

During that Raiders-Bengals game I heard Tirico make at least three errors about basic factual stuff. Maybe I should call them flubs instead of errors; like he said "First and goal Raiders" after Cincinnati picked up a first down. There were two others that I noticed, but I don't remember what they were. It really stood out because I don't think these broadcasters make that kind of mistake very often. Is Tirico always like that, or is he slipping, or was I just paying more attention than usual because my team was in the playoffs? I know we hate on announcers a lot, but one thing that I think they're all really good at is just keeping up a near-constant stream of mostly-coherent chatter without the kind of little verbal slip ups that I make all the time when I talk, so it was really odd catching one of them messing up repeatedly.

I noticed all of that too, and I haven't seen it from Tirico before.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Tirico is normally good so I’ll blame it on him being distracted trying to save an absolute dud partner in Brees

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, it was weird. I usually think I'm the one who's wrong when one of the announcers says something that sounds inaccurate, but after the second or third time I decided that Tirico just wasn't as sharp as usual.

I thought Brees was pretty inoffensive*. Happy to get him instead of Collinsworth, whom I've been loving sick of for what feels like a decade.

*But yes a bit of a dud. Why can't they all just be Gus Johnson?

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 20, 2022

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Racing Stripe posted:

I thought Brees was pretty inoffensive*. Happy to get him instead of Collinsworth, whom I've been loving sick of for what feels like a decade.

It was a bizarro broadcast. Tirico was screwing up and Brees was fine.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wrong thread

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lol, I’m so used to Aikman being a moron I heard it but completely wrote it off without realizing it was a different broadcast team

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was actually a little disappointed with the commentary because Breese and Burrow are tight and I was expecting him to be a huge Homer.

There was some podcast or broadcast I listened to last week where collinsworth was talking about how people always give him a hard time about not being enthusiastic for the Bengals and how he has to be impartial. He actually tried to say that you know he's not able to show explicit favoritism to one team or another. Pretty funny considering the fact that he's been spending the past decade slobbering all over the Patriots and the Steelers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I actually would prefer homer broadcasters. If I could get the home radio feed synced with the broadcast, that’s all I’d watch.

Why shouldn’t Brees cheer on the Saints and Chargers? Romo and Aikman can yell at the Cowboys and such and not much would be lost. I get why they try to be impartial but who cares? Fans are always going to believe that XXXX is out to get us no matter what.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

I actually would prefer homer broadcasters. If I could get the home radio feed synced with the broadcast, that’s all I’d watch.

I did this for years with the Bucs, Gene Deckerhoff is the greatest. iirc it got to be too hard to sync around the time analog broadcast tv went away.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Why shouldn’t Brees cheer on the Saints and Chargers? Romo and Aikman can yell at the Cowboys and such and not much would be lost. I get why they try to be impartial but who cares? Fans are always going to believe that XXXX is out to get us no matter what.

This is the best part of preseason games. Homer broadcasters

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I definitely agree more people need to experience Scott Zolak calling games.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

a neat cape posted:

This is the best part of preseason games. Homer broadcasters

I just remembered that this season someone posted in the AFCN thread mad that in a preseason game the Ravens broadcaster was a Ravens homer lmao

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

I definitely agree more people need to experience Scott Zolak calling games.

He had to be talked down by Socci last weekend when he was beginning to start screaming at Agholor.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1484244353790980096

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Would 14 seconds have allowed two shots into the end zone from that distance? I can’t figure it out.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would 14 seconds have allowed two shots into the end zone from that distance? I can’t figure it out.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Oh we're doing this again! I'm unironically down

The one area where I agree with the sentiment is that 1 or 2 end zone shots from the 45 which I think is about where they were is tough. It's a long way. That's a full on hail mary with really no possibility of using routes or creativity to make it more high percentage. But where Dak went down that isn't quite true. Your options as far as play calls open up a lot and you don't just have to throw a moon ball up and pray that someone on your team comes down with it.

I still think it was the wrong call, but if they'd actually gotten a play off who knows