Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Netflix is constantly telling me to rate things and I hate it.

I don't know if any of you remember, but Netflix used to have a star system. I rated everything I watched, starting when I got disc Netflix back in 2007. One day they just chucked the whole thing in the trash. No warning. Years of ratings, gone. I will never forget that, Netflix. I will never rate anything on your platform again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

I was a call center agent when this happened, and it did, uh, not get a positive response from customers at large when it was implemented, fwiw

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Hopefully 2022 is the year Netflix finally goes down, it's really not doing great right now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Everyone, including me, wants what we very much can't have: the Netflix of the early 2010's. It was awesome!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd been rating things for a decade when they got rid of the star system and I was starting to get spooky good recommendations. Now it's just waving trash in front of my face and insisting I take it like I'm a fat tourist who's just gotten off a cruise ship in a Caribbean port.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I watched Mother/Android today. Woof. Bad dialogue, bad story, lots of choices made that are incomprehensible. Stay away! 2/5 stars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Finished Station Eleven. It was quite nice. Deep topics of humanity and loss without ever getting cloying or pretentious. Well, never too pretentious. Very very good stuff.

"So... pretentious!!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/3/22914120/netflix-2022-movie-slate

A good roundup of the upcoming Netflix stuff. I'm definitely a Netflix hater but some of this sounds fun. Some of it sounds totally insane:

quote:

SLUMBERLAND

When a young girl happens upon a map of Slumberland, a world made up of everyone’s dreams, she embarks on a journey — presumably along with a faun played by Jason Momoa — in search of her late father, who she believes is still somewhere out there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I watched 6 episodes of season 4 of The Crown yesterday and it gave me nightmares.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Weekly releasing has won. Splitting seasons into two parts has won. 2-3 year delays between seasons have won. I hate it all so much but fine, whatever, I can accept it. I'll just stick to bingeing when seasons are over. I just wish it was easier to find out when a season finale of a show is without getting spoiled.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

david_a posted:

I watched two episodes and enjoyed it, but I got horrible family medical news after that and I’ve been afraid to pick it up again. Does it end up being a terribly depressing show? I don’t need that right now.

It's absolutely not a depressing show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Next up Paramount

It’s insane how much they’ve improved.

Meanwhile Netflix and Disney+ haven’t made much waves in recent months.

Not true, Netflix made big headlines when it jacked its prices up again for whatever reason.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Timby posted:

Don't forget that Netflix's CFO recently said "never say never" when asked about putting ads on the service.

Netflix is the worst and I can't wait for it to finally fail. I'm looking forward to the One consolidated streaming service, which will presumably have a plus tier that you pay for by giving them your bone marrow and an ad-supported tier which you pay for by giving them your blood plasma.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

drat what is up with the music choices in The Adam Project??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The depiction of Brida, a character who is given chance after chance at redemption, who simply and stubbornly cannot help repeating self-destructive patterns of behavior and ways of thinking formed by trauma, who just constantly ruins everything, hits a little too close to home for me and some other people.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My go-to Ryan Reynolds recommendation for those who want to see another side of him is The Voices.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Voices actively plays on your existing Ryan Reynolds assumptions. It toys with its audience like a cat with a mouse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just finished the fifth and, I believe, best so far episode of Pam & Tommy. It's good but it's definitely a huge bummer.

Holy poo poo Semi-Charmed Life over the end credits, wow.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

precision posted:

When Jackass first aired, I "hated" it and always made sure everyone knew that I was a Very Serious Cool Indie Artist Intellectual and that i disaprooved of such childish tomfoolery

in other words i was a tremendous dumbass

it's only in the last few years that i've realized that Jackass is Good, Actually

myth busted
I was very much this person, and I've gotten over it like you have, but I still haven't watched any Jackass. So I get all the cred of being humble about my past opinions without any of the cultural baggage of knowing what's going on at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I watched an excellent, concise, no-nonsense informational youtube recap of the first season of Raised by Wolves to prepare for viewing the second season and wow, yeah, all that crazy poo poo really did happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

david_a posted:

I probably need that too; post the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rht9P0bYSFI

It's so helpful.

Some might say knowing what's going on in Raised by Wolves spoils the fun, I say they're wrong.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I have a very low level Vizio TV from 4 years ago, and some janky-rear end internet service, and it's incredible the difference between the various apps:

Hulu, Apple TV+ - They absolutely hate my TV. They'll play maybe one episode of a show, maybe, then completely poo poo the bed for no reason I can see.

HBO MAX, Disney+, Paramount+ - These mostly seem to be friends with my TV, though occasional arguments arise.

Netflix, Prime Video - They just play stuff with no backtalk and it's great. No errors, no buffering, no poo poo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'll just be watching Hulu on the Vizio for a while and then all of a sudden it'll go "that's all the television there is" and just stop working for an indeterminate amount of time. Completely and totally stop working. I've either got to give up on that movie or show or pull out my tablet/phone and use that. Somewhere around a half hour to 2 hours later Hulu will decide to work again. It's the darndest thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How have I never heard of the Battle of Peleiliu?

Speaking as someone who knows a lot about the War in the Pacific: because it really sucked and it was really, really pointless.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Servant pretty much answered zero this season. Thankfully next season is the last, but I am starting to wonder if they even truly know the answers.

I'm glad I quit watching in mid season 2. I get more grouchy about this crap the older I get. I don't want mysteries, I don't want cliffhangers, I don't want dangling threads, I just want everything wrapped up nice and neat. Real life has enough mysteries and intangibles already, I don't need that in my fiction.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

gently caress death on the Nile is bad

Everything I've seen about it makes it look like The Worst

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Does Severance have a dangling twist? Is everything wrapped up by the last episode? It sounds really good but if there's some endless mysteries or cliffhangers then fuuuuuuuck that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Its my favorite Refn film

Neon Demon is the best but it's not fun

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Nobody knows yet last episode is this week I think

Okay I will ask after that airs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Glottis posted:

the Severance finale was intense and ends on a massive cliffhanger

Thank you so much for letting me know not to watch it. I'm not being sarcastic I'm really actually grateful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"Five Easy Pieces" is on now HBO Max. I've never been particularly intrigued by the description of this movie but it is highly rated and I think jack even got an oscar? Basically should I watch it

The best Jack Nicholson movie. He peaked right at the beginning of his career. It drags a little in the middle. But it's definitely worthwhile. Thank you for letting me know it's on HBO!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

drat Billions is loving stupid but it's fun. Like eating a whole bag of Haribo starmix in one sitting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Better call Saul is stressful to watch not because of the cartel poo poo, but because it’s like watching this dude who won the jackpot in the girlfriend lottery almost ruin it every week because he is a weirdo

I am, like every other BCS fan, just absolutely dreading the moment in the new season when Kim dies.

Do I really have to use spoiler text if it's just my personal, unsourced, dread-filled speculation?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

precision posted:

while Severence did indeed end on a banger of a cliffhanger, it also did WAY more with a certain thing than everyone was expecting, so it was very satisfying. basically everyone was expecting something to last like 5 seconds and instead it was the entire finale

Someone has to take a stand against cliffhangers, no matter how stupid and pointless their stance is, and that person is me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tune in later to see how my cliffhanger boycott goes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s no way this happens. What’s far more likely is that Jimmy/Saul finally pushes his gimmick too far, they break up, and she puts distance between them. That opens it up for her to defend him in court in the modern day finale when he inevitably gets caught and shipped back to ABQ for his trial.

I like this better

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't know how you people can in good conscience support the cliffhanger-industrial complex.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just watch all the Cleon parts, skip the rest

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ted Lasso is the Louie of the 2020's

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Too many Netflix originals precipitously canceled with unresolved cliffhangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Blockbuster was a cautionary tale about pissing off customers and not adapting to trends and looks like Netflix is going to go out exactly the same way.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.