Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

what was so bad about 2015?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_(2015)#Reception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is 1) hilarious and 2) not slowed down at all for extra comedic effect. These are just facts

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Chris James 2 posted:

This is 1) hilarious and 2) not slowed down at all for extra comedic effect. These are just facts

This is, indeed, loving hilarious. To add to the comedy of errors that was the back half of '15 Rumble:

-Titus o'Neal being so bad that he botched his spot of being the fastest elimination in history.
-The fans chanting for Rusev, spoiling the fact he was hiding under the ring only to get fast eliminated.
-The Rock coming out to endorse Roman and getting booed out of the building, much to his confusion.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

bladeworksmaster posted:

-The Rock coming out to endorse Roman and getting booed out of the building, much to his confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKUMV_YXCGw

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

I think I may have watched this one and turned it off when Danielson got tossed

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Honestly thought that's what the prize should be in the "Brand vs Brand" Survivor Series match. Winning Brand gets the number 30 spot, losers get the number 1 spot.

Then the shows could do storylines about how those numbers are given out. Maybe there's a five way match later among the wining team where the number 30 spot is on the line. Maybe the GM of the Loser brand is a heel, and gives the number 1 spot to the most popular face.

Survivor Series: Raw vs Smackdown vs NXT in a 5 vs 5 vs 5 three-way elimination tag team match

First team eliminated gets the number 1 spot, winning team gets 30.

Each brand gets 10 spots to fill for each Rumble, with the option of a total of an X number of ring-ins (i.e., HOFers, special appearances, that sort of thing - let's go with 3 ring-ins total across both Rumbles)

Hypothetically Raw wins the Survivor Series match, getting the number 30 spot.

So the Raw GM opts for 2 Hall of Famers, leaving 8 spots to qualify for (which could be done via a beat-the-clock challenge, where the winner with the fastest time gets that place) in 16 matches.

That took about 5 minutes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I remember the GDT in 2015 being especially grim. It stopped being funny Wrestlecrap and just felt kinda sad.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I think I may have watched this one and turned it off when Danielson got tossed

It's so funny that some people buy WWE's story that Danielson's rise was planned from the beginning.

They did so many things along the way to cut him off and try to discourage fans cheering for the "wrong" guy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Remember when they tried to transfer the Yes! chant to Big Show?

lol

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
History has shown that it was simply the chant that was over.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ages better each day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2jL7tgqlo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Remember when they tried to transfer the Yes! chant to Big Show?

lol

And a few other low key experiments. Stephanie using it, the Vince WWE network announcement video.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I remember the GDT in 2015 being especially grim. It stopped being funny Wrestlecrap and just felt kinda sad.

it was awful. as soon as bryan was eliminated the outcome was never in doubt, and watching the two most boring, heatless motherfuckers in the company eliminate a string of people the fans would have given their left nut to see win over reigns (yes, even ziggler) just felt like it was done out of pure spite towards the fan base.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Danielson being popular and WWE not wanting to push him caused loving Rey Mysterio to be booed for not being Daniel Bryan in 2014 and their spite booking caused The Rock to get booed in 2015. It's astonishing how bad WWE is. Ah, well, nevertheless, time to ignore WWE again for an indeterminate time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Squall posted:

Ah, well, nevertheless, time to ignore WWE again for an indeterminate time.

Then. Now. Forever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

edogawa rando posted:

Then. Now. Forever.

still kind of amazed they've kept this threat at the start of every show

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I have seriously never understood this view the WWE has of it's fanbase primarily it's hardcore fanbase. In every product, the company won't go out of its way to poo poo on it's more loyal customers but that's the case with the WWE. Vince getting pissed off when fans like guys he doesn't push is just embarrassing.

Anyway as a long time fan who just watches once a year during Rumble, this was quite poo poo.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Chris James 2 posted:

Somehow this is all remembered as dire and not funny as hell

it was funny as hell because it was so awful. last night was just dire

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Chris James 2 posted:

I will never forget the Bryan and Vinny rant on this over how 2015 is peak Vince booking. You have not one but TWO unstoppable giants just manhandling all the stars for heat, and then you have Roman who single handedly hulks up to defeat both giants at the same time to avenge the lost stars and to be mightier than the giants. And to top it off you get the loving Rock to raise his hand for overcoming the giants.

Summary: Vince's booking ideas begin, and end, with someone overcoming A Giant. He's been doing it for thirty five years. This one had TWO giants.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dodgeblan posted:

Before the terrible finish I thought Roman/Seth was one of the best WWE matches I've seen in ages. It actually had an emotional hook and long term storytelling. The go home was really awesome and the SHIELD gear was cool. It was also one of the only times I've thought that Seth's weird goober character actually worked.

It was the first WWE match I'd seen in a long while and I thought it was pretty bad. It was so, so slow, and almost everything was just a finisher? Little did I know it would be the highlight.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"In February 2015, WWE held a poll on WWE.com asking if fans thought Bryan or Reigns was more deserving of headlining WrestleMania 31; following more than 33,000 votes, 86% of votes went to Bryan.[31] Also in that month, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon responded to #CancelWWENetwork in a conference call, saying that the controversy was good for WWE. McMahon labelled it as a vocal minority upset that "the babyface did not win" and "Santa Claus didn't come on that PPV""

This after their website crashed because so many people were cancelling their WWE Network subscriptions.

Vince has always been a clueless dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lid posted:

I will never forget the Bryan and Vinny rant on this over how 2015 is peak Vince booking. You have not one but TWO unstoppable giants just manhandling all the stars for heat, and then you have Roman who single handedly hulks up to defeat both giants at the same time to avenge the lost stars and to be mightier than the giants. And to top it off you get the loving Rock to raise his hand for overcoming the giants.

Summary: Vince's booking ideas begin, and end, with someone overcoming A Giant. He's been doing it for thirty five years. This one had TWO giants.

I've said it many times before about why a lot of WWE booking sucks: Vince loves the "David vs Goliath" matchup, only he insists on David being a Goliath, so the actual Goliath has to be even bigger! But usually, when they're that big, they suck. (Mabel, Khali, Gonzalez, etc)