Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 31-February 2, 2005)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Conan

John A posted:

Part 2! Prepare for the word “ziggurat” to be used with a refreshing regularity.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Allison's Instagram:

quote:

Unused panel (from abandoned project ‘Yoga She Writes’)

UPDATE: Just saw this on the Forward Slash Scare website. Relevant due to recent discussion re: Allison & his business/readership:

quote:

I’ve been asked a lot recently about signed books, so we’ve added Steeple volumes 1-3 to Topatoco – they all come with signed bookplates at no extra charge. Get them here!

The Giant Days “Snooker Could Be Better” minis have now sold out. I have a handful of copies left for a UK event in July. I am planning more minis though – my three Conan chapters in a set. And I may do a short run collecting all the Solver comics from 2022-2023 (Spring Special > Boys Like Fun), as none of my publishers have expressed any interest in it. If you’re interested in either of these projects, let me know in the comments and I can begin to work out numbers.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 10, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 3-7, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 8-10, 2005)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Bone lines often occur in nature, driven by the wind and the natural magnetism of calcium. They tend to align north to south.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

JA's Instagram (are people getting sick of me posting his stuff here?)

quote:

What… exactly… is SAVAGE SWORD OF SUSAN?

The_Other fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 12, 2024

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Nah keep posting it

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I certainly like the instagram stuff getting posted here better than I like the old scary go round stuff getting posted here :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Nah keep posting it

:emptyquote:

Keep posting everything related with Allison. Old SGR, too. It's always an interesting contrast.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 13-15, 2005)

I love Hugo :allears:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 16-17, 2005)

Two strips today because we're at the end of the arc. Starting tomorrow: Your Taxes At Work!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Finally, Chekhov’s caber is fired. See, see, I have it all worked out. For every mistake I make, I manage at least two and possibly even three positive strides forward.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 2-6, 2006)

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
I honestly can't remember the last time I thought about Diesel Sweeties

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ShallowKnave posted:

I honestly can't remember the last time I thought about Diesel Sweeties

Going back through SGR has been a blast for things like that. A few weeks ago I was pleasantly reminded that Questionable Content used to have half a dozen characters tops and was mostly jokes about music.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 7-9, 2006)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Conan

John A posted:

I had to think about this while my car was in for its service. While others relaxed with a magazine or stared at a series of disconnected images upon their phones, I sat with pad and pencil trying to think how ziggurat traps might work. And I wonder who emerged from that garage the happiest. Not me. I told them not to put it through the carwash, they did it anyway, and they scratched the driver-side front door. Is not a carwash the most devious trap of all?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Allison would redo this page several years later:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > The John Allison-verse: You can’t be arrested for things that are too weird for there to be laws about!

That’s probably too long, isn’t it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 10-14, 2006)

First appearance: Mike, who works for the newspaper and is kind of a weird guy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Conan

John A posted:

Whenever I look at a river or canal, I imagine the pike down there, skulking in the grotty depths. How do pikes find love? They seem like solitary beasts to me. I heard that when cooked, they taste of nothing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 15-17, 2006)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 20-22, 2006)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 23-27, 2006)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 28-30, 2006)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Conan

John A posted:

Steam-driven automata go back a lot further than you think. While the first successful steam train was, of course, Stevenson’s rocket, and the first sentient train was Thomas the Tank Engine, the first recorded use of steam power is recorded in Alexandria around 30BCE. I don’t know when the stories in Conan take place. You’ll have to look that up. Given the Pangaeatic nature of his world, I think it might be a bit earlier.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I feel like this has to be a reference to the bit in Red Sonja where they fight the animatronic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3UCn0i9BOI

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 31-April 4, 2006)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Welp, the Conan story got C&D'd. Pity.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What the gently caress.

John A posted:

Comics will be back when I have new comics for you. I currently have nothing upcoming scripted. At best it will be a few weeks. At worst it could be a few months.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sonuvabitch

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that sucks. Are there no legal agencies that take up that kind of case?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So as I mentioned in my post in the comic strips thread I considered posting the rest of this story from the pdf I received as one of Allison's Patreons. I was hesitant to due so, party because it might get Allison in more legal hot water, but mostly because I feel like I would be taking money from Allison. However Saoshyant mentioned that not only has Allison taken the story down from his badmachinery.com website, he also removed the pdfs from his patreon. I might just end up posting a synopsis of the remaining story, with a few panels or pages, in one big post.

Like everyone else I'm pretty bummed out about this whole turn of events, as this story was shaping up pretty nicely but it looks like we'll never see the end of it. I know Allison also took down his Giant Days / Batman and Kit & the Wolf comics from the site, but a least he was able to finish those comics. I guessing Allison's working relationship with Marvel had something to do with that and that the company might have approached Allison after he had finished with the comics (and I'm kind of hoping the same was true of DC). Currently Titan comics owns the comic rights to Conan so I'm doubtful the C&D can be undone.

In some consolation to today's news here's a pic from Allison's Instagram:

quote:

A quick Destroy History pair I drew for the front page today. I've moved all those comics over to badmachinery.com

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nah, if we are gonna post the rest of it, let's do it in a slow schedule, not all at once. Let's give him time to prepare new work.

Normal schedule would be a new page in about 24h from now. Then the next one in 72h from now.

Last one posted publicly was page 8 out of 24 total.

And I'm likely going to throw the two PDFs on archive.org when that's done, because gently caress that company of leeches. I'm counting on Archive.org fighting them if they try to DMCA something that 1) wasn't breaching any trademark since it never used Conan the Barb***** in the name, 2) it's in the public domain both in the UK and in the EU

In Germany there has been a company publishing Conan comics commercially since 2019/2020. Those have been brought recently to the US by the publisher Ablaze under the name The Cimmerian. If those can be published commercially including in places that Conan isn't public domain yet (the US) and alongside comics from the currently officially licensed publisher Titan, then Allison never did nothing wrong by posting some web comic that isn't even in print.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 23, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
CPI are jerks and the Conan comic was good. It feels like John keeps setting up these rakes to step on though. Hope he can get a few start to finish ideas written down for his original settings. Dude wants to grow his audience but his last 5 or so creative works are 3 fanworks that were taken down and throwing Steeple into a burning bin.

If he's creatively burnt out with anything but fanworks then :ohdear:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Doomykins posted:

If he's creatively burnt out with anything but fanworks then :ohdear:

It really feels like he's burnt out or there's something else going on, his social media posts are all pretty down, and ending Steeple so suddenly felt really :smith:

I think he's depressed about not being able to find an audience and the general indifference from publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 5-7, 2006)

We are now kicking off one of the first big meta-arcs of the series. And also starting tomorrow, the strip is hand drawn again!