Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Nah, you gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

Not the first time I've encountered Europeans yelping TÜRKEN RAUS, WE HATE YOUR KIND, but it's still pretty upsetting. gently caress off or talk about politics, not posters.

lmao

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mawarannahr posted:

Thank you for providing more context, I feel I have a better idea of what's going on that I did not before. I don't have a specific response to the points you raise right now, but I'll chew on this knowledge to be sure. (I am still in favor of the move at this time cause I think the value of transparency outweighs the cons you described, but my opinion is moving needles nowhere.)

posting this because there's a not a lot of english language articles laying out specific concerns with the bill, most just say there are protests and that the eu is not a fan, so it was refreshing to find something with some actual eu talking points

"radio free europe posted:

"I understand that the majority of civil society organizations in Georgia receive financial support from international donor institutions, (and indeed almost all larger organizations voluntarily reveal the list of their donors),” Mecacci said in written remarks to questions from RFE/RL.

"This draft law, if adopted, would therefore turn the vast majority of civil society institutions overnight into 'foreign agents' or 'representatives of foreign powers,' which is contrary to the spirit of international cooperation.”

Backers of the Georgian bill defend it by claiming it is similar to legislation in Western countries, including the United States.

That comparison was misleading if not flat-out false, argued Mecacci.

“There is a fundamental difference between the draft law under discussion and legislation in the U.S. and some other countries.

"In the latter, the legislation does not label civil society simply for receiving foreign funding, but rather seeks to ensure that private companies or nonprofits that take part in advocacy or lobbying efforts on behalf of a foreign power, register with the authorities, and then that this information is made publicly available,” he said.

“Such legislation does not apply to independent civil society organizations or media as such, and the mere receipt of funding from abroad is not sufficient to presume that they are “agents” of a foreign power and put into question their independence. The issue is not the origin of the funding received by the organization, but the nature of its activities and the work they conduct in the country.”

in principal i'm a fan of transparency laws, but wider context like the state of georgian domestic political donation transparency by comparison, or any history of selective application of similar laws seems like it would be overriding. the assertion in the interview that the vast majority already release donor lists has me suspicious about the urgency to pass this transparency law in the face of repeated large scale protests

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Man, I really want rail baltica to be around faster. Wanna take that fast train to Talin so baaad

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Tangentially, I wonder how Holender (Dutchman) became a mild curse word in Polish.

I mean *points at Dutch history in general* :geert:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Its amazing how much Dutch immigration we’ve had around Warsaw around the XVIs century. There’s a town named Holendry outside of Warsaw, and if you go there, it’s basically the Netherlands on a mini scale, down to how the scenery is the same due to polders they’ve built there. Apparently the Dutch quickly established a monopoly on shipping things on barges down the Vistula to Warsaw. Another left-over are the so-called Dutch hills north if Warsaw in the Puszcza - since the Dutch settled on bogs and low-lying lands, they’d place their houses on 5-10 metre high mounds. My friends family had a house on one of those mounds in the middle of the forrest, it was great (except winter, it was really fuckin steep and would murder your tires and gearbox).

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

mawarannahr posted:

This strawman is uncalled for. Not cool.

The younger generation, from what I've understood in interactions with young Georgians, sees Russian-leaning governments suspiciously; they crave westernness and the promised prosperity of liberal economics. They blame, on the other hand, Soviet economics for their modern predicaments. Symbolically, they want to be recognized as full-fledged Europeans, not peripheral/potential Europeans. The young and the educated, as it is with most of the former Warsaw Pact countries, trust in EuroAmerican-style liberal morality, often I believe for an unambiguous reason: they don't want to see their minority friends be oppressed by a demonized non-Western style totalitarian regime, which is what they think is at stake. Whether the latter is true or not I have no idea, but to these younger people, it feels like an existential threat.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Its amazing how much Dutch immigration we’ve had around Warsaw around the XVIs century. There’s a town named Holendry outside of Warsaw, and if you go there, it’s basically the Netherlands on a mini scale, down to how the scenery is the same due to polders they’ve built there. Apparently the Dutch quickly established a monopoly on shipping things on barges down the Vistula to Warsaw. Another left-over are the so-called Dutch hills north if Warsaw in the Puszcza - since the Dutch settled on bogs and low-lying lands, they’d place their houses on 5-10 metre high mounds. My friends family had a house on one of those mounds in the middle of the forrest, it was great (except winter, it was really fuckin steep and would murder your tires and gearbox).

Ha, cool. The village I grew up in was built on one of those hills. Great fun to speed down on your gocart or bike, not as much going up indeed.

But yeah, the Dutch inclination to make the environment fit them instead of the other way around is probably part of the reason they're historically not very well-regarded.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
The Russian equivalent, from what I've seen by consuming Russian media, is basically only applied to people or groups that the government dislikes.

It's not providing transparency, it's just there to make people who aren't in love with Putin look like Western stooges because they have a YouTube channel.

Only critics get labeled as foreign agents, so any restrictions only apply to critics. If Putin likes you and you get all your money from abroad, you're still not going to be a foreign agent.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Not sure why everyone is after the poster's head. It's not at all a bad question to ask why we're so against a law that many of us either have ourselves or are fine with.

The truth is that in context such laws that are on the face of it, similar (at least conceptually), have different effects. Instituting a national ID card and resident registration system in Ireland, there would be close to zero cause for alarm. That same system being implimented in an authoritarian country, where the rulers vaguely tie it to 'the problems our brave security police have in keeping track of those who pose a threat to the government and national identity', the situation is different. It'd be seemingly weird but not hypocritical to be living in Ireland clamouring for such laws locally while supporting protests against the same laws in the other country.

On the note of identity, it makes my skin crawl when politicians talk about intrusive laws for protecting national identity. Always has. Even in seemingly innocous cases when I was living in Canada. Government supporting local arts scenes and local artists is cool. The government interfering and demanding certain sometimes stereotypical representations is not. Like deciding that a movie about hockey is 'Canadian culture' for the purposes of tax breaks but a movie about soccer made by the same people wouldn't be. I am of the opinion that of Canadians decided to all love soccer and be meh on hockey, it would simply mean that soccer and not hockey would be the 'true Canadian identity'. That's for Canada. You have crackpot regimes banning beards or whatever because they're 'not part of x identity'. Let people live.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

mawarannahr posted:

I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with me or think I am somehow an outsider; you can search my posts on this thread and mostly they're about culture and the country where I am from.

I was talking about that other place we shouldn't talk about. If you think that applies to you, that's your call. Act accordingly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It seems like one has to be either legally blind or super naive to have missed the way that independent media were eradicated or marginalised in Russia and Hungary. Sure, transparency would be nice when some Australian oligarch is gobbling up all media in a country. But doing so after Rupert Murdoch had cemented his status and become a domestic source of capital in Britain and USA, would only have helped him in preventing challengers like Al Jazeera from rising up.

The same happens here. They have designed the laws so that it helps them to kill the rest of independent media but doesn't affect them. Again, just look at Russia and Hungary. And the fact that they are demonising international NGO's is patently evil, and if you don't understand why that is a problem then I guess there is no discussion to be had with you. Remember, the rules never apply to them, it has nothing to do with transparency.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Antigravitas posted:

The problem is you sealioning in support of authoritarian regimes that apply laws unequally.

C'mon, this really is uncalled for. The guy was being civil and making his argument coherently. There was actual discussion of the law and the details around it that was informative as a result, it wasn't a derail and not everyone who disagrees with thread consensus is sealioning. The conversation was effectively over (with him conceding he didn't know what he was talking about!) when people started yelling at the guy, give me a break.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Rinkles posted:

Tangentially, I wonder how Holender (Dutchman) became a mild curse word in Polish.

As a vaguely similarly sounding euphemism for cholera.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bright Bart posted:

Not sure why everyone is after the poster's head. It's not at all a bad question to ask why we're so against a law that many of us either have ourselves or are fine with.

The truth is that in context such laws that are on the face of it, similar (at least conceptually), have different effects.

there's ignorance on one hand and on the other jumping to "well these sources are clearly biased, look who funds them" without offering any other sources or much evaluation of the content after a . the latter tends to be a standard talking point from tankie trolls, and people who have encountered it before are going to be a bit miffed. the "hey, in context, these laws aren't what you might read on their face" bit was the first thing i'd tried to explain before the pivot to "BIASED SOURCES!!!" without really asking for others

i am sorry, but yes, if you're going to look past "hey there are mass protests on the streets of the capital with protesters fighting riot police for hours" and focus on "hey the background context articles have funding from places that might have an agenda" rather than "mass demonstrations probably indicate some relevant dissent on the part of the people affected", i am gonna be a bit skeptical of your good faith

@mawarannahr i am sorry for perhaps being a bit harsh. i live in a weird media bubble. the protests in question are currently dominating my corner of former soviet union news and research twitter. the matter in question is demonstratively not some minor quibble EU diplomats have over Georgian law that bears facial similarity to EU laws; significant segments of the Georgian populace are incredibly pissed about it.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 1, 2024

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Mokotow posted:

Man, I really want rail baltica to be around faster. Wanna take that fast train to Talin so baaad

We will gladly welcome you to Tallinn! (and yeah, same, I want to be able to take a train to Warsaw and whatnot)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I am a little confused how Georgia ended up with a nearly explicitly pro-Russian party, who didn't hide who they were, in power. You'd think if there's one thing an electorate won't forgive is a recent invasion that took land you considered integral to your nation.

Maybe that's the reason, actually? Voters thinking 'Well we're stuck being in the Russian spehere of influence so we might as well make it on better terms'. Or even outright hoping to avoid another invasion by hoisting out the blue, white, and red flags.

Or is something else at play? Like corruption scandals with all the opposition parties, or a split in the electorate in terms of identity politics, so severe that whether the party you're voting for happens to be pro-EU, pro-neutrality, or pro-Russia became an afterthought.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bright Bart posted:

I am a little confused how Georgia ended up with a nearly explicitly pro-Russian party, who didn't hide who they were, in power. You'd think if there's one thing an electorate won't forgive is a recent invasion that took land you considered integral to your nation.

Maybe that's the reason, actually? Voters thinking 'Well we're stuck being in the Russian spehere of influence so we might as well make it on better terms'. Or even outright hoping to avoid another invasion by hoisting out the blue, white, and red flags.

Or is something else at play? Like corruption scandals with all the opposition parties, or a split in the electorate in terms of identity politics, so severe that whether the party you're voting for happens to be pro-EU, pro-neutrality, or pro-Russia became an afterthought.

in my limited understanding, a combination of earlier anti-Russian government being rather poo poo in its own way (nobody is clamoring for Saakashvili's return), legitimate euroskepticism, and political elites pursuing multi-vector foreign policy approaches same as a lot of post-Soviet states not directly on the EU borders. the Russo-Georgian war started and (promptly) ended under an anti-Russian government that lost power years after for other reasons, so the situation wasn't quite the same as the ouster of a pro-Russian/anti-EU government leading to the war in Ukraine

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

nobody is clamoring for Saakashvili's return

Depends on what we mean by nobody. If we mean no Georgian living in Georgia who remembers his rule then maybe. But he's a big favourite with international think tanks and media outlets. I think to this day he gets medals for being a protector of democracy and moderates development forums. His presence seems to be a marketing draw rather than turning anyone away.

Maybe that's changed in the past couple of years as people have re-evaluated or more things came to light?

Otherwise he's kind of like our Lech Wałęsa. Even aside from the fact that tributes to him and Solidarność are basically bipartisan domestically, he's considered even more of a hero abroad, and yet probably not one Polish visitor to the Solidarność Centre in Gdańsk would want him back even if he were up to it these days.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Incidentally, saw this video about the Dutch in Poland recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-2QCg2MNY

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Not just around Warsaw - there's Olędry village near me, named after Dutch colonizers settlers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

Could you explain your problem?

Lepers Colony kind of gave it away I think

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This is weird. I just got a call from the municipal office about my entry on the list of electors for the upcoming EP wybory. (Don't worry it wasn't a spiif call I let it ring than called the official number.)

The actually nice lady explained that the rental agreement I have on file is no longer sufficient evidence of permanently residing at my address. She told me I'd need more documentation and then she'll be able to make a decision if I am entitled to vote.

I was/am in a mood and not mad at her but the system said 'Well, the decision will be about if my documentation is sufficient. Not about whether I am entitled to vote.'

She informs me that unless I am registered as homeless I actually might not be entitled to vote if I don't permanently reside anywhere.

I reply that there is no obligation to be permanently registered to vote.

She told me that actually yes there was supposed to be. To protect elections integrity. It didn't go through the Sejm but it did trigger an audit of who is on the electorate rolls.

So, CCE Goons, what do you think? I am split (not evenly) between a cynical attempt to win brownie points with voters overly concerned about the inane woryy people will be temporarily renting places just to vote strategically, an actual attempt at voter supression, or an actual attempt at mantaining election integrity super super poorly conceived.

I'm guessing if the law passed it would have been stuck down by one court or another. But as much as we Finger wag those in the US for blatant voters supression we should make sure we're not setting up roadblocks to people exercising democratic rights.

e: If anyone not from Poland is confused about why I don't just register myself as living where I do, it's not that simple. Registering somewhere indefinitely requires you to either own/control the property or have permission from the person who does. And if you don't own the property you are basically out of luck unless you have a family member who likes you who owns property nearby. No landlord would consider allowing you to register in a million years. They often put up roadblocks to even temporarily registration. Basically during part of Communism apparently being registered as living somewhere meant a right to live there (because your registration was the allocation of a domicile). And even at other times there were certain rights like you might not own the house/flat or have the right to live there, but the owner needs your permission to sell the property. So actually even family who like you might not do it for you if they're old and remember commie days.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 3, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Oh, remember when I found it odd that The Onion was still making full-article Polish jokes?

Well they went after another EE country this time:

https://www.theonion.com/biggest-prize-on-eastern-european-game-show-apparently-1851441679

I can handle some dark humour but this just seems so lazy. Like, EE poor we get it. Would they have made a joke about the prize on the Vietnamee game show being rice and medicine? Or an indoor toilet in India's version?

(e: Now if they had made the joke that the prize on the Polish edition is the choice of any car that has crashed over the border in Germany that week but can be restored then I'd cackle.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 2, 2024

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Onion just got bought. Maybe they made some unwise hires.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i read that more about the trend of russian soldiers stealing and sending home fridges from occupied territory (which is, admittedly, still a testament to the poverty of the regions of russia that supply the most army recruits)

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

i read that more about the trend of russian soldiers stealing and sending home fridges from occupied territory (which is, admittedly, still a testament to the poverty of the regions of russia that supply the most army recruits)

Aren't the Ukrainian regions with Russian military presence as poor or poorer than the poorest regions in Russia anyway--particularly if you remove Donetsk from the equation? I mean how would the logistics of that even work? I've only seen one (1) context-free video of a truck carrying a fridge, and one (1) of soldiers taking a washing machine. Thinking that they're shipping those somehow en masse to Nazran or Nalchik or whatever the gently caress, and that somehow that registered on The Onion, says more about how uncritically people take their media than anything else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

advanced statsman posted:

Aren't the Ukrainian regions with Russian military presence as poor or poorer than the poorest regions in Russia anyway--particularly if you remove Donetsk from the equation? I mean how would the logistics of that even work? I've only seen one (1) context-free video of a truck carrying a fridge, and one (1) of soldiers taking a washing machine. Thinking that they're shipping those somehow en masse to Nazran or Nalchik or whatever the gently caress, and that somehow that registered on The Onion, says more about how uncritically people take their media than anything else.

No, this stems from 2022 when Russian forces invaded Ukraine on a large scale and reached the outskirts of Kyiv and captured other big cities previously unaffected by war. Then there was e.g. footage of Russian conscripts queuing in a post office to send all kinds of looted crap to home.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It was mostly in the early days in the war. They’d come through towns like Bucha, line up locals against the wall and shoot them and loot houses of washing machines, fridges and TVs. They’d then try to ship it home from Belarus. Just the most vile, inhumane genocidal war crimes you can imagine with petty crime on top.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

then why do they write it as if it's from Moldova? I think this kind of prejudice that people from Eastern Europe have barely heard of modern conveniences like television is still quite widespread, just as some people are surprised that immigrants from Syria have smartphones

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a basic old joke that would work well let's say as a brief side gag in an episode of The Simpsons, but spread thin over several paragraphs so it comes off as tired and tedious.

So a typical Onion article.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Dwesa posted:

then why do they write it as if it's from Moldova? I think this kind of prejudice that people from Eastern Europe have barely heard of modern conveniences like television is still quite widespread, just as some people are surprised that immigrants from Syria have smartphones

Yeah I would be thankful to learn that this is an intricate take but I got the joke just being the showerthought lol imagine if the prizes on gameshows were stuff we have, take for granted, or consider mid- at best, it would suck but winning them would probably make the day of people in say Moldova

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I now read that Onion article. Isn't it more a satire of how media is taking the comments of an ignorant tourist on something that they don't understand and spinning it into a story?

Like imagine a Russian tourist coming to USA in the 1990's, opening the tv and trying to figure out what Jerry Springer Show is about.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's a substantial number of Americans who still think most of Eastern Europe lives either in the 16th century or that village from Borat. You could probably convince them you can tie a donkey up next to any major legislative building in Moldova.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bright Bart posted:

No landlord would consider allowing you to register in a million years. They often put up roadblocks to even temporarily registration. Basically during part of Communism apparently being registered as living somewhere meant a right to live there (because your registration was the allocation of a domicile). And even at other times there were certain rights like you might not own the house/flat or have the right to live there, but the owner needs your permission to sell the property. So actually even family who like you might not do it for you if they're old and remember commie days.

Yeah, it's a common misconception that getting the tenant registered changes anything (it doesn't really, as of now) and some landlords freak out, but it's still worth a try if they're not an omegaboomer. Especially since there are a million legal advice SEO shitticles on the web you can point towards repeating that it does indeed grant the tenant zero extra rights.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Nenonen posted:

I now read that Onion article. Isn't it more a satire of how media is taking the comments of an ignorant tourist on something that they don't understand and spinning it into a story?

Like imagine a Russian tourist coming to USA in the 1990's, opening the tv and trying to figure out what Jerry Springer Show is about.

Doesn't read like it. It would be if there were a real game show the tourist was misinterpreting, but then none of the readers would get it.
It just reads like someone tried to set up a joke and failed to put a punch line in. It happens.

Relatedly, Tusk appears to have made the UK press mad by claiming that Poland could be richer than the UK in five years. (Caveat: if current trends hold. A big caveat)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You could probably convince them you can tie a donkey up next to any major legislative building in Moldova.

I'd appreciate being given the correct location to leave him as soon as possible, before this situation gets more embarrassing than it already is

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
quote not edit

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a substantial number of Americans who still think most of Eastern Europe lives either in the 16th century or that village from Borat. You could probably convince them you can tie a donkey up next to any major legislative building in Moldova.

Yeah, there's a reason why Tucker Carlson was so impressed with a simple shopping trolley at an Auchan in Moscow. People basically think that Borat is a documentary not just about America, but also about ex-USSR. The same goes for China, in many cases.

Antigravitas posted:

Doesn't read like it. It would be if there were a real game show the tourist was misinterpreting, but then none of the readers would get it.
It just reads like someone tried to set up a joke and failed to put a punch line in. It happens.

Relatedly, Tusk appears to have made the UK press mad by claiming that Poland could be richer than the UK in five years. (Caveat: if current trends hold. A big caveat)

This claim originally comes from the UK press, lol.

https://news.sky.com/story/britains-economic-trajectory-will-soon-see-it-overtaken-by-poland-labour-to-warn-12821152

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Lmao, I didn't know that.