Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Grumbles posted:

Finally watched it all in the space of about 2 weeks, and I really loved it. The episode with the goats felt a bit slow and saggy and I worried that it was running out of steam/just creating more mysteries with no answers, but it all picked up straight after that.

Flitted around this thread once I'd finished and there are a lot people who saw the Helly Egan twist coming . I didn't, but then I wasn't following along with a thread so wasn't party to the hivemind-accelerated insight. I saw a comment mentioned that it was foreshadowed earlier in the series though, and I'm just wondering what that foreshadowing was because I'd completely missed it?

Adding to cues on the Helly twist, this very good video on the costume design of Severance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8iNde_ZMFY

Basically her wardrobe and style are extremely expensive and curated, which doesn't jive with the basic living situations we see of her immediate coworkers.

Given that's something that would be hard to notice if you're not into that particular brand of fashion, but I have every confidence it was intentional given how much attention there is to the design of this show. The color design and anachronistic styles were basically screaming at you the whole way through, and the costuming was just as highly selective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The marketing face tells you they're separate people while at the same moment, the inner machinations are dealt a huge blow to that very claim- which they respond to with denial and a cover-up. The tech is very obviously flawed because the two sides are not completely separate, which Harmony has been surreptitiously testing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is Beavis the outtie and Cornholio the innie?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dongicus posted:

Show good

This is the only Lumon-approved contribution in the whole dang thread.
I'm reporting the rest of you fucks!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
No, no, they're the bad guys. It's showing the devious malcontents that would threaten the sanctity of Lumen!
Yes, Walt is the hero of Breaking Bad and Skyler sucks. Why didn't you ask?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think it'd be most interesting if they were working on absolutely nothing. There are a lot of reasons to find the base level of a "fulfilled" employee, and at least the illusions of free will and perceived value are a good chunk of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

No Wave posted:

The part where Helly finally understands her task and is genuinely disturbed by what she sees on the screen (which looks like nothing to the viewer) is really compelling and funny at the same time. I doubt the writers had it planned out but I'd like something better than "it was literally nothing".

I like the task itself being literally nothing, but the emotion behind it being genuine. The best comparison I can come up with is knowing 2+2≠5 while believing it does. There's something extremely compelling about subjective truth, its relationship to happiness, and a totalitarian entity on the precipice of globalism. What is the minimal impact a human can have and feel fulfilled? What is the minimal amount of knowledge a human can have and feel satisfied? What is the minimal amount of social interaction a human can experience and still feel connected? What is the minimal amount of stimulation necessary to keep a human on task?

I like the idea of training a group of people to exist as little as possible and still be productive. So kind of along holy poopacy's line, they are working on themselves by working on nothing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

bawfuls posted:

There doesn't need to be a specific reveal of what they're doing. Maybe no one knows exactly what they're doing. Maybe they're all just playing roles in a convoluted self-perpetuating machine of profit and human immiseration that no one individual completely understands.

Would fit the general allegory of the show.

Speaking of which, the Cannon Fodder segment of Memories (1995) is very good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BrotherJayne posted:

Seriously. Writers are weird

Reminds me of GOT writers admitting they'd make writing decisions because they were upset some dork on Reddit figured things out.

Personally on the numbers thing? My most satisfactory explanation is that it's indeed meaningless. but the human mind crumbles without meaning. As long as we believe we are making meaningful choices, we can remain fulfilled. Hence Irving clinging to religion and romance inside and art on the outside; he's deep and sensitive and craves more meaning to his existence. He's also been to that basement room before.

So data refinement crew is serving as a promo of sorts for a broader launch. It's been running for a few years to work out the bugs, then they brought in a celebrity right before launch for buzz. Of course, there are still bugs. But like with the Great Chinese Famine, the whistleblowers are silenced so the heads can be appeased and the wheels can lurch (shoddily) forward on flawed information handed up out of fear. We see this with Cobel rightfully, with evidence, pointing out a flaw in the system and being excised for her efforts. Lumen is on its last legs and they need this launch to go well. They're appealing to people with disposable income: white collar workers, politicians, stay-at-home wives who go to froufrou birthing bungalows for a more "natural" experience.

Oh, and you wouldn't need busy work for the birthing innies since you could find inherit meaning by virtue of being pregnant. I do wonder if they didn't also have their share of suicides since, y'know... coming into existence to find yourself pregnant could be a goddamn horrifying nightmare.

Anyway! That's what I'd like to see happen! :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Who are these sick fucks that don't enjoy a good poop?!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wait, how is that not exactly what AoP described?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never saw LOST and since the ending of a story is the most vital part to me, I've never had any interest in doing so. But if it's a hilarious circus of carefully-constructed spite like GOT, let me know. I thoroughly enjoyed S8 for that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I didn't not watch LOST for bragging rights, I just don't tend to watch drama series until they're wrapped and I know it was worth 10+ hours of serious engagement. I've been burnt way too many times by a good hook and a bad ending. So much that it makes me hesitant to read new fiction because it's a week-long engagement that possibly ends with a fart. Not like my time is that valuable, I just really could be sleeping more.

I watched Severance on strong recommendation from a friend. If it was one season, I'd be satisfied with it. You don't really need to know what the company does, just that it's a powerful, malignant cult the characters need to escape from. Lots of horror works successfully on that same premise! Now if S2 happens to suck rear end, I'll be disappointed, but I can feel like S1 told a complete enough story that I can enjoy it on its own merits. Like Promised Nederland.:suicide:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Legit Businessman posted:

Promised neverland never had a second season, just like the matrix never had sequels. :colbert:

This is true. It's so nice these stories went out on top!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'll never forget that small but rabid last sect of GOT fans in denial who proclaimed the ending was totally justified because a character said, "If you think this story has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." Like that was the key to sweeping away all complaints because if you aren't happy with the story, DUH, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I could see number sorting and the goats being meaningless tasks in service of testing the absolute bottom limits of what makes a worker "fulfilled." I mean, knowing that would certainly benefit a cult looking to expand its reach.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
From infuriates me because you have a whole town of people and not 'a one of them does anything that makes sense. Oh, monsters hypnotize you through the windows? Oh, well, too bad we can't board them up for... reasons. Also you gotta pick which group of strangers you live with right now and your decision's permanent for... reasons. Also I leave my daughter alone with an unsecured window that only my absent husband can hammer shut for... reasons. Nobody test the bounds that could help us get out of here for... reasons! YOU ARE MAKING UP YOUR OWN RULES, loving WORK WITH THEM.

When spooky ballerina danced in, I went into a full hate watch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't feel tension because it doesn't establish expectations. You know the old Alfred Hitchcock bit about the bomb under the table? It's tense because you know a bomb explodes. If the bomb, say... doesn't explode, but a tiny evil ballerina crawls out and dances menacingly at a character before disappearing and he refuses to address it in anyway and it has zero connection to anything else going on, that's not thrilling. That's an incoherent shitpost that cuts to Spooky Thing and hopes you got more scared than confused for a second there.

From, condensed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I definitely can relate to violent reaction towards TEAM SPIRIT enforcement in the workplace.