Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm enjoying everything about the show so far -- general concept, performances, aesthetics. I have to admit I'm kinda glad others share the Devs-induced fear of the show going out like a wet fart. Thought I was the only one viscerally disappointed with how they ended it.

My guess as to what they're doing in the basement: more or less what others have posted and what Petey was hinting at -- the "numbers" are an abstraction of some terrible thing that a regular "outie" personality couldn't see or handle. I'm guessing that the act of severing does more than split the memories, maybe applying some kind of cognitive filters to translate terrible things into numbers with a side of synesthesia. Now, are they actually killing people or doing something else like handling some hideous, PTDS-inducing content moderation... guess we'll find out if any of this is even remotely close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Stuff like this:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I imagine they demonise the departments in order to alienate employees from each other, so management can pit teams against each other.

roomtone posted:

Maybe it's all an experiment and it's supposed to fall apart at some point.

They probably have.

AceOfFlames posted:

Which brings me into another thing I noticed about the visual design: everything looks quite retro.

plus the whole "nobody knows what it's like outside" thing reminded me somewhat of the Silo books. Which I just looked up to see what happened to the movie rights and guess what -- Apple is adapting it as a series.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpaceAceJase posted:

the chemistry between Burt and Irving. Didn't Irving notice paint under his fingernails in a previous episode? Perhaps he's the artist on the paintings he's been admiring.

They can't comprehend what they're feeling.

My wife hypothesizes that Burt and Irving are a couple on the outside.

Also Bert and Ernie :v:.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Withnail posted:

Since this is an apple show, one theory is that Lumen is actually IBM and the show is a middle finger from the grave from Jobs who hated IBM and thought their culture turned people into pocket protected automatons.

A cult of personality centered on the founder, obsession with secrecy, antiseptic office aesthetics... if there's a company out there which matches that description, it's Apple.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mahoning posted:

I just view it as a sort of indictment of capitalism and the boomer work culture/ethic (or rather, work life balance myth).

But also I’m a raging anti-capitalist so I could just be seeing what I want to see.

Oh yeah, it's definitely broader than making fun of any one company.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Factor Mystic posted:

Go UP the elevator and it’s your... uppie? Whole other floor, whole other hidden identity.

The Board! :tinfoil:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I think being an innie matches the experience of being a salaried employee. I work hard because I want to do a good job, and the paycheck feels like something that is unrelated. It’s only when negotiating raises that I even really make the connection.

Please tell me what you do.

I mean, I want to do a good job too, but 18 years later and it's still FYPM.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

itry posted:

It's probably not actually her third day. If it is then they're definitely rushing her through her plot points.

Be lucky enough to work in something you value and care about. Maybe.

Sure, and I think I'm finally there with my current job. It actually feels like there is a Purpose to what I do this time around.

But I'm still a salaried donkey, there's no real social net, and retirement is by no means certain. You better believe I'm going to extract as much money from this gigacorp at every opportunity.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Cojawfee posted:

So what does everyone think is going on? How does this even work? Miss Casey is Gemma. I think maybe she could have crashed her car, and became brain dead, and then Lumon took her, did severance, and the innie is able to wake up and do things, but the outie of Gemma is in a coma or something. But then how would that come to occur? Surely when Gemma "died" they had a funeral and all that? This is just confusing.

That's my hypothesis/confusion as well. There was a throwaway line about Casey being a part-time innie in one of the earlier episodes, so it probably relates to that.

Freaquency posted:

I’m effusive ska

Defiant jazz is just a fad, dude. Effusive ska is forever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Turturro's Brooklyn just came roaring out in this line, didn't it:

https://i.imgur.com/2qBS45u.mp4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Khanstant posted:

Weirdest poo poo is that there's a lot of bonding and whatnot that goes down before birth. If severance works as described, then it's like handing the baby off to a stranger who literally, physically, does not love or connect with the baby the same way at all.

Ehh, kind of a weird take given that adoption has been with us since cave times.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speculation, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the innie characters pursue reintegration (Mark, Dylan) while others realize they'd rather retain the innie personality full-time but in the outside world. Like Irv, who doesn't appear to have much going on in his life, or Helly, who might realize her outie is a horrible person. Some of the options on the control room suggest that might be possible, and it sets up all kinds of potential storylines for season 2.

But really... I mostly want Irv to find Burt.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DaveKap posted:

Since we've already seen a hand have to go up to the knob to turn it off when Milcheck radio'd to end Overtime with Dylan, we know this isn't the case. However, I am now realizing that Milcheck had two people help him with that Overtime and we still have no idea who either of them were.

I don't know if two people are helping him (given that Dylan managed to do it solo) but regardless: my money is on Helly's outie being the hand on the switch.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

someusername posted:

In the right place and time, and with a little help from synchronicity and a void of hope, a total dumbass idiot prophet can will the people to grasp their freedom.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was pointing out the watch to my wife because I have that one too:

(she was like "... and?" which is the correct reaction to any watch discussion)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the plot besides the outie being told "that's too personal, make sure you swap it for something bland before entering the severed floor."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the name "Scout" is a red herring and his name is actually Mark Stalin?

:hmmyes: Communism always was a red herring.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DaveKap posted:

I swear, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm certain someone else is already making it, I'd probably make an actual-game version of MDR work.

According to this:

quote:

Hindle says that the computers are functional and that the actors are really messing with numbers on screen during the show.

So I'd guess that a web-based game is very much in the realm of possibility.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Or worse, the 40% ones. I mean who the gently caress uses this poo poo?

Yo

I got it for a very specific, size-constrained project that also required a retro look. It's... an acquired taste.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Rude! If you must know, I'll be putting it into a housing that contains a mini-PC and serves as a base for this televisioradiophone device to make a never-was 80s Zoom terminal:

I needed a keyboard which still looked the (80s) part and was under ~10" wide, thus the choice of using a 40% one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I have a large desk and not much to put on it, can I get some kind of 200% giant keyboard?

Sorry, no.

But we can do 400%

https://i.imgur.com/DCBdGHr.mp4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Nastier Nate posted:

so if your severed do you have cut all the fruit of the loom tags off your underwear?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If anyone's at/near the San Diego Comic-Con:

https://gizmodo.com/severance-comic-con-activation-adam-scott-apple-tv-plus-1849269554 posted:

San Diego Comic-Con can be a very trying experience. So what better way to deal with it than to sever your memory of it from the rest of your well-being? Thankfully you can do just that, hypothetically of course, at Apple TV+’s Severance activation located at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego, CA.

There, the streamer has converted a massive ballroom into Lumon Industries, the company from the hit TV show Severance starring Adam Scott. You go in and basically go through an entire first day at the company, complete with your brain being severed in two so your “innie” personality is at work and your “outie” personality can live on its own.

edit: I can't deal with Gizmodo's URLs on mobile so just go there and check out the photos, it's pretty great!

Trabant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 22, 2022

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

i am a moron posted:

calling them different people is wrong imo

i am a moron posted:

Quitting also entails ‘killing’ the innie

You can't have it both ways.

Also, Burt is experiencing massive trauma and hallucinations while conditioning himself (possibly with help from others) in order to break down the walls. Nothing that could be considered "easy."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Facebook : Metaverse :: Lumon : Severance

:tinfoil:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I think it's something the writers cobbled together.

:mad:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Did anyone ever figure out what the writers' Cylons' plan was?