Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

two-time fee posted:

Didn't read the thread but I hear the org y'all are donating too has some not so cool and good connections.

How bout y'all donate to orgs that are organising refugee relief in the surrounding countries instead ?

Just an idea. Bye bye d&d

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I took a look at the OP and removed the links to orgs that were questionable, not related to the crisis, or giving aid to the Ukrainian military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Omon Ra posted:

What's the rationale behind this? We shouldn't give aid to the Ukrainian military because Putin C-Spam say they're nazi fascists? What's the desired outcome, Russians keep slaughtering Ukrainians without them being able to defend themselves?

Two reasons. First, military aid could go to the neo-Nazi Azov Battalion, which is serious enough of a concern that the US initially banned aid to Ukraine from reaching them. Second, small donations toward humanitarian causes are much more likely to make a difference in people's lives than small donations to military causes, which won't do anything to turn the tide of war.

Kraftwerk posted:

We should have the ability to donate to the Ukrainian military if we so choose. The country needs humanitarian and material support to fight against invasion.

You are, after all, still free to make these donations. We just aren't endorsing them with links.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

redneck nazgul posted:

No, the risk is in people donating to reactionary / Nazi organizations. Whether they're doing so accidentally or with their left hand because their right hand is currently locked in a Heil Bandera salute is irrelevant because Nazis are still getting money. People donate to the links and groups that are provided. You specifically naming a Nazi organization means that any random right-wing person browsing this thread now has a convenient and easy link to repair and donate with. Is this plausible and actually happening? Who cares? You can prevent it from even happening in the first place!

The plausibility does matter to me, as what it ultimately comes down to is whether the number of people who are warned away from donating to the group, such as Sashimi, is greater than the number of people who are reading D&D and would intentionally like to give to a group with fascist ties. And I do believe the former number is greater, as we have one example of it already, whereas a person who is looking for a Ukrainian org with fascist connections to give their money to probably would go to a place other than D&D to find them.

Theotus posted:

Just delete the link and unnecessary edit, what is the problem?

I did so, since the CUF has another web site besides that one, so the link could actually be counter-productive by making someone someone think the other site was a different org.

Koos Group fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

How about a simple bold message that explains that the various Ukrainian Congress orgs (UCC, UWWC, etc.) are controlled by the OUN-B, along with a short message explaining who the OUN-B are

Any other orgs that are discovered to be affiliated with/front groups for the OUN-B (like the CUF) can be appended to the OP message

no hyperlinks needed
Please don't ban me I'm not trolling

That seems reasonable to me, though I would need someone to PM me or post in the thread the detailed information about the orgs and their connections. I'm having a difficult time finding the info myself by Googling, as articles on the OUN-B don't list its descendants, and there are no relevant results for what the UWWC is at all.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

redneck nazgul posted:

Sure. Let's walk back through the history of this issue, loosely paraphrased because this doesn't need a bibliography and timestamps.

The original bad donation link was called out for Nazi / reactionary associations by CSPAM posters with an interesting history when it comes to D&D, and the whole donation drive was mocked in CSPAM for raising money for Nazi organizations. Eventually, after evidence was provided and the discussion got too lively, the donation link was broken and a caveat was added. The donation link still existed, even if it was as a warning rather than a suggested place for :10bux:. This didn't go far enough for some people, myself included, and so people kept calling for it to be removed, not just altered. The point of contention here is that breaking a hyperlink does not equal removing a hyperlink.

You refused to budge, which I'm going to armchair psychologist to a combination of embarrassment that every other piece of Ukrainian media is Where's Waldo but with Azov / Black Sun / OUN symbology, as well as that it seems like CSPAM is just taking another opportunity to dunk on you and your position and is probably doing this in bad faith. This culminated in another moderator stepping in to do the very simple thing that you have refused to do, which is remove one line of text.

I don't think you're a Nazi sympathizer.. On the other hand, I think your actions in this thread are entirely out of malicious compliance because you don't want to give a win to posters you don't want in this forum in the first place.

I think the fact that it has taken days, pages, and weeks of probations to remove one line of text is embarrassing.

Alright. Since the issue appears resolved now, please direct further feedback over lessons that can be learned or how things like this ought to be handled in the future in PMs to me, or wait until the next feedback thread if you'd like to discuss it publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Somaen posted:

Borat voice: AZOV BATALLION

Hard to believe there's someone stupid enough to believe the azov crap 500+ days into the war, my condolences.

Erm, the accuracy of what you're implying aside, we don't give out gangtags for orgs that aren't listed as reputable in the OP (to avoid being partly responsible for scammed members), or orgs that supply lethal equipment.