Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
As a Finnish reservist (here meaning that in crisis I would be called up but I'm not actively in service) some reactions to this war have been unbelievably stupid. All that "reasonable Russian concern" spouted by tankies, all the whataboutism about "what if Ukraine also bad", all that poo poo. The oval office-King of Kremlin can't pop his clogs soon enough. When I was 12 my dad's Estonian work colleague visited us and stayed overnight. Years later my dad told me that the guy has spent years in gulag for the crime of having been in highschool when the Soviets re-conquered Estonia. And most folks from the Baltic countries and Poland I have met have similar stories.

Dugin and the other lunatics dream of a mythical Russia not one of its former subjects want to see and I can't but hope whatever aid the US can send will be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Footage of a damaged Patriot launcher being returned for repair to the US from the Ukraine, and several Patriot radars being sent back - https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineRussiaReport/comments/1c9ccbw/ua_pov_a_battle_damaged_m903_mim104_patriot/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Southern PA's economy has really been benefiting from these programs. I believe one of the Bradley plants is right outside of York as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I know some people who looked at Russia as people turning against the evils of communism, so they must be good, completely ignoring that Ukraine was also part of the USSR :btroll:

What I can't understand is how people are still using the "NATO started it" argument. It's been happening for two years now, we should be looking at what is happening now before we make a value judgment about who to support

What those people do is assert that NATO is a US Empire in the same way that Russia is entitled to an empire of its neighbours, therefore NATO expansion was always going to trigger this Russian response.

The way you know you can not take these people seriously is that they're a group who ostensibly have structured their political views around justice and fairness and are rigidly stuck to that... right up until the point until they have an opportunity to say 'US bad' in which case suddenly they become Turbo Kissingers.

Recent case in point: people will say that Ukraine needs to surrender and take whatever terms they can get from Russia but also that the Palestinians need to fight Israel to the last rock-throwing-child, and when the inconsistency is pointed out all they can do is look at Bucha and the mass torture/filtration camps and the kidnapping of children and say 'I don't see any genocide here'.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/paulaerizanu/status/1782747595841958240?t=65WJiNno0XvuzM5Odto0HA&s=19

Some more people are finding out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

For those not in the know, Shor(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilan_Shor) is an Orban-tier pro-Russian scumbag whom Israel is currently protecting from extradition to face justice for his crimes in Moldova.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im surprised the 7 layer nacho dip of Russian grafters before leaving the country didn't seize it first

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Slightly off topic, but I feel like the foibles of Russia's leadership are generally on topic here, so:

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1782498956930359629

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ehh it's just a screenshot of a tweet from some rando

https://twitter.com/Nabludatel_001X/status/1778634905217368158

Medvedev says a lot of funny things but they're usually not ha-ha funny

edit: that guy even says it's a joke in the replies

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Ehh it's just a screenshot of a tweet from some rando

https://twitter.com/Nabludatel_001X/status/1778634905217368158

Medvedev says a lot of funny things but they're usually not ha-ha funny

edit: that guy even says it's a joke in the replies

lmao, aw, I passed it someone who's usually pretty on point with knowing his Russian to tell me if it was a joke, and he said it was perfectly on par for the usual dumb poo poo Medvedev says, so he didn't doubt it for a second.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

In America, you read police blotter.
In Putin's Russia, police blotter reads: you

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Senate passed the aid bill. Should be signed into law today. EUCOM has already pre-positioned ammo deliveries to take place basically immediately upon signature.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31580

quote:

26,000 Cubic Meters of Russian Fuel Lost as SBU Drones Target Two Oil Depots in Smolensk Region

Is that like, a strategically meaningful amount? Or a drop in the bucket? It sounds like a lot, but it's hard to gauge.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Is that like, a strategically meaningful amount? Or a drop in the bucket? It sounds like a lot, but it's hard to gauge.

It's about 160k barrels, which (according to google) is less than 10 percent of the capacity of an oil tanker.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

If that's diesel fuel, then that's roughly 22,750 metric tons of diesel or 7,166,250 gallons. The density of fuels determines how much actual fuel was lost but its not a tiny amount.

Strategically meaningful? Probably not, tactically meaningful? Probably. 7.1 million gallons of fuel lost would put a crimp on an advance of mechanized forces and their ops in an area. It would delay things while fuel needed to be moved from somewhere else, and also put fuel trucks at risk as they'd have to move longer distances to transport other fuel wherever that destroyed fuel was going.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Last I checked Russia is still pumping out something like 5+ million barrels of oil per day despite the all the drone attacks, so while it might feel a bit weird to claim that 26k m³ is a drop in the bucket, it kinda is when compared against their total output.

e: I guess that's unrefined crude though, not diesel or whatever it was that went up in that explosion.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 24, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Last I checked Russia is still pumping out something like 5+ million barrels of oil per day despite the all the drone attacks, so while it might feel a bit weird to claim that 26k m³ is a drop in the bucket, it kinda is when compared against their total output.

e: I guess that's unrefined crude though, not diesel or whatever it was that went up in that explosion.

Well yeah, that's why Ukraine is hitting their refineries. You can tell it's working when Russia has to import refined products from Belarus despite pumping up so much crude.

Besides, crude production is mostly out of reach in Siberia anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

spankmeister posted:

Well yeah, that's why Ukraine is hitting their refineries.

Yup. Remember when hurricanes took out refineries in Louisiana and suddenly the price of gas at the pump like doubled?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Well yeah, that's why Ukraine is hitting their refineries. You can tell it's working when Russia has to import refined products from Belarus despite pumping up so much crude.

Besides, crude production is mostly out of reach in Siberia anyway.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Diesel yield from crude is typically 25-30% (depends on the specific oil in question) IIRC, so if I've done my conversions right that's 500k-600k barrels of crude production.

Bearing in mind of course that they would have also produced gasoline, naptha, etc from those barrels as well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

psydude posted:

Senate passed the aid bill. Should be signed into law today. EUCOM has already pre-positioned ammo deliveries to take place basically immediately upon signature.

And signed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Tactically how do they get this aid into Ukraine without the Russians launching multiple missile and drone strikes to blow it up before it reaches the front? Everything so far has been highly telegraphed, despite what we think of the Russians I don't think they're stupid. They've likely planned for this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Tactically how do they get this aid into Ukraine without the Russians launching multiple missile and drone strikes to blow it up before it reaches the front?

Same way they've moved everything else? Why would this one prove any different?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Tactically how do they get this aid into Ukraine without the Russians launching multiple missile and drone strikes to blow it up before it reaches the front? Everything so far has been highly telegraphed, despite what we think of the Russians I don't think they're stupid. They've likely planned for this.

Very carefully

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:kiss:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Usually as soon as it crosses the border it scatters to the winds, and finds its way to the front via various means. Russia is not extremely good at snap tactical decisions when it comes to strikes. The delay from observation to fire mission is big enough to allow Ukraine to move poo poo so Russians are striking an empty field where equipment was, it's how they have managed to avoid all of their SPGs etc so far.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 24, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Tactically how do they get this aid into Ukraine without the Russians launching multiple missile and drone strikes to blow it up before it reaches the front?

The idea that Russia has wonderweapons that can monitor and strike at will any number of trucks and trains all across the territory of Ukraine is just social media fantasy.

We’ve seen Russia and Ukraine lose ammo points on their front lines, but no one has some god’s eye view that lets them interdict trucks and trains at will. Roads big etc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

spankmeister posted:

Very carefully

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kraftwerk posted:

They move it to the Ukraine border through NATO territory, which the Russians are afraid of violating.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If it was just waiting for a signature, it was probably pre sorted and loaded into trucks ready to scatter into Ukraine at the drop of a hat as fast as possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have enjoyed the theory that Ukraine gets its weapons smuggled via the Black Sea, largely put forward by people who apparently don’t realize that roads exist.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The ability to know what's happening over the horizon is still incredibly difficult and basically limited to the US (with China rapidly coming up) satellite capabilities.

Like say you have a satellite going over Ukraine daily taking photos. First you have to get the photos. Then you need analysts to look at them and decide if there is a target. Then you need planners to work up the strike package. Then you have to actually fly the mission. Even if you know where you are looking and you do everything perfectly, there's no way you doing any of that in a time frame that lets you lob a cruise missile at a cargo train. Best you can hope for is to find out where the stuff is going and hit the warehouses, and sometimes Russia does that and sometimes it hits a whole load of grain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mlmp08 posted:

I have enjoyed the theory that Ukraine gets its weapons smuggled via the Black Sea, largely put forward by people who apparently don’t realize that roads exist.

I'm pretty sure there have been pretty detailed posts previously on this forum about, like, the exact airfield the stuff gets flown in on, which happens to be in NATO territory and immediately adjacent to the Ukrainian border. Russia can't risk a strike on NATO territory though and once it's over the border it's on a zillion different trucks under a forest canopy and that's game.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm pretty sure there have been pretty detailed posts previously on this forum about, like, the exact airfield the stuff gets flown in on, which happens to be in NATO territory and immediately adjacent to the Ukrainian border. Russia can't risk a strike on NATO territory though and once it's over the border it's on a zillion different trucks under a forest canopy and that's game.

Yeah, Rzezsow has been thoroughly detailed in public reporting.

But there are still people who claim they think Ukraine gets its weapons via Black Sea, because anything by land would be blown up by Russian missiles in realtime somehow and all those “grain” ships are weapons smugglers or something.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There is a constant stream of materiel and boring stuff crossing the border into Ukraine all day, every day. I really wonder what people think the border looks like. Perhaps look at a map of Ukraine's borders with the EU some time?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Russia is generally really bad at hitting the rear lines. They can do static targets, but their kill chain takes too long to hit anything that can move that's not really near the front and under direct surveillance.

mlmp08 posted:

Also, trains. Back in the early days when certain tankies were crowing about how Kyiv was surrounded and nothing would get in or out of the city, someone I sort of know traveled to Kyiv, on a train. The Russians were successful enough that the train could not take the normal route between Warsaw and Kyiv, and had to detour south that added like 6 hours with all the delays. But at no point during this conflict has Russia even been able to cut rail traffic between Ukraine and the west for more than ~12 hours or so. Polish farmers have literally been more successful at that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hitting a moving thing that's smaller than a navy warship across like 1000km is just plain hard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Plus doesn't Ukraine still have relatively intact air defense? I feel like I regularly hear about Russian planes and missiles getting shot down and when I hear about Russian strikes it's always large strikes that overwhelm the defense with numbers of targets to intercept.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Also FWIW, prepo easy for this movement in particular because everything announced today did not require a bill. It’s under authority the administration has had since last year.

The admin just was not willing to execute that authority until congress appropriated backfill money for US interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
List of aid:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...ce-for-ukraine/