Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

For the record, this is the very first shot of the entire Halo storyline from 2001 and (barring a bit of gameplay), here's how the Halo is established:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxmVZFWdw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY6Kd-qfRM8

Is it a masterclass in storytelling? No, but it is effective and its a noticeable step up compared to a lot of shooters at the time. It sets up the immediate situation while sprinkling in some cool details here and there to provide some wider context.

I haven't seen this show yet and, based on the comments I'm reading, probably never will, but just want to chime in and say that this opening blew me (and all my friends) away the first time we saw it in 2001. It's kind of hard to think about it now, but Halo's storytelling and cinematic presentation was far ahead of any other FPS at the time.

Slight spoilers I guess - but I also loved how OG Halo handled the Flood reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALT7rhmUXmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, the halo series being so cinematic in the first place is where my absolute naivete came from going into this show thinking "ok, they're doing their own thing and you know, whatever its a different medium you gotta change some stuff up, but i'm interested in how this is going to lead into The pillar of autumn arriving at the ring, guilty spark and the truth of the ring, the release of the flood, tree man keyes, the invasion of earth and giving back their bomb, the arbiter's sentencing, chief crashing back through orbit, zombie high charity screaming out of slipspace", etc etc etc as all these moments are so iconic, it would be weird to not include much of it in a literal cinematic adaptation. So much so my brain wasn't even twinging to "oh, they're just not going to do anything that was actually in any of these very cinematic games", and just kind of thought they're being slow in leading up to it all.

Again, i'm not saying the show needs to slavishly follow a video game series to be good, not at all, it can be its own thing as long as its good, it just seems weird to take a story beloved for its set pieces and cinematic nature and cut out the story while keeping the characters and setting. Much in the same way its been really bizarre to take a series known and beloved for its iconic musical themes and then.... basically not include any of the musical cues.

I don't know how well received it was here, but I thought The Last of US tv series did an amazing job bringing the game to a live action format, hitting the main story line beats, but also changing some things up and doing its own thing and often for the better.
As you said, I understand due to budget and time constraints a Halo TV series is going to be very different, but it's weird that iconic moments like "The Pillar of Autumn stumbles upon Halo and no one has any idea wtf this thing is" are not represented.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I found the Flood levels in Halo 2 to be much more of a slog than those of the first game tbh. "Sacred Icon" and "Quarantine Zone" are just slogs and a lot of that is because they beefed up the Flood and weakened the weapons that you would normally used against them in the first game.

Like yea The Library is annoying, but at least the Shotgun is so OP you can blast away the Flood pretty easily, and Grenades in HaloCE are ridiculously OP (almost like mini nukes). Especially if playing coop.