Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you guys might want to click on the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

you guys might want to click on the link

I did and I still stand by what I posted

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/status/1510659559811018756

for those of you who were eagerly awaiting the american bar associations opinion on this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickyDavila/status/1510659559811018756

for those of you who were eagerly awaiting the american bar associations opinion on this

Been f5ing for this news. thanks!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1511096053449527300

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
What a weird coincidence.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What a weird coincidence.

A perfectly balanced circuit court needs to have exactly one black one and one girl one. If they already have one or the other it’s really probably best to go out and pick a different demographic like a funny one or a fratty one or a smart one or something - it’s been a while since we’ve had a lewd one, maybe dust one of those off - me too has come and gone at this point

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the stuff in the op about alito and kagan being boring as hell may have been made in jest but its really not too far off to say the court becoming boring has been bad for its legitimacy because without the weird pet pedant issues the courts makeup is just that much more obviously partisan

like gorsuch is the only halfway interesting one that was even nominated this century because hes a goofball libertarian that loves native rights who writes his opinions in the style of a bad high school essay its been what four years of kavanaugh and all anyone can remember about him is still just oh hes the beer pong guy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

the stuff in the op about alito and kagan being boring as hell may have been made in jest but its really not too far off to say the court becoming boring has been bad for its legitimacy because without the weird pet pedant issues the courts makeup is just that much more obviously partisan

like gorsuch is the only halfway interesting one that was even nominated this century because hes a goofball libertarian that loves native rights who writes his opinions in the style of a bad high school essay its been what four years of kavanaugh and all anyone can remember about him is still just oh hes the beer pong guy

the main thing I remember about kavanaugh is him lying, under oath, about what a devil's triangle is

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HashtagGirlboss posted:

A perfectly balanced circuit court needs to have exactly one black one and one girl one. If they already have one or the other it’s really probably best to go out and pick a different demographic like a funny one or a fratty one or a smart one or something - it’s been a while since we’ve had a lewd one, maybe dust one of those off - me too has come and gone at this point

more evidence in support of the Black Highlander Theory

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

+1 insightful

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

more evidence in support of the Black Highlander Theory

hmmm???? im getting Interested

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Smythe posted:

hmmm???? im getting Interested

"there can be only one"

the Black Highlander Rule is a casting trope, i.e. there's usually no more than one black main character in a television show and if a second shows up inevitably it will lead to one of them leaving the show

my boldly unsupportable claim is that SCOTUS nominations in the 21st century are akin to casting decisions more than jurisprudential exercises, and so long as there's one black SCOTUS member senators have protection voting against a black nominee that they wouldn't have if there were none currently serving

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

HashtagGirlboss posted:

If (when) Donald J. Trump becomes president again in 2024, do you think he is more likely to push for a geeky justice with glasses who stutters when talking to girls, a wheelchair bound justice with sick rapping rhymes or a girl justice who can fight like a boy because she was raised with 3 brothers?

All of them support making it legal to throw babies into a giant meatgrinder if it "helps the economy" so they would all have bipartisan support if that helps you.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
He’s gonna nominate Jeanine Pirro

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

who is that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

"there can be only one"

the Black Highlander Rule is a casting trope, i.e. there's usually no more than one black main character in a television show and if a second shows up inevitably it will lead to one of them leaving the show

my boldly unsupportable claim is that SCOTUS nominations in the 21st century are akin to casting decisions more than jurisprudential exercises, and so long as there's one black SCOTUS member senators have protection voting against a black nominee that they wouldn't have if there were none currently serving

oh i see. i was imagine a black guy who was the highlander and had a sword that shot energy bolts and poo poo. actually i might just be thinking of the demoman from tf2 who is actually sorta like a judge i guess... if you think about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Supreme Court Justice Judy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump should nominate ivanka

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

trump should nominate ivanka

Trump died of (with) COVID years ago.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Smythe posted:

oh i see. i was imagine a black guy who was the highlander and had a sword that shot energy bolts and poo poo. actually i might just be thinking of the demoman from tf2 who is actually sorta like a judge i guess... if you think about it

He has to constantly judge the right time to detonate his stickies so he's basically a full-time judge unlike the jokers that have downtime between cases

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1511702664266096646

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Balkanize

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Tharence Clomas

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Karl Barks posted:

Tharence Clomas

this is the content i crave

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they lets scalia die they wont make the same mistake with soon to be immortal justice thomas

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they lets scalia die they wont make the same mistake with soon to be immortal justice thomas

Scalia was assassinated

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Scalia was assassinated

Lmao that’d be the worlds greatest metaphor for the obungler presidency if he stone cold had a justice murdered and then failed to capitalize on it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShutterstockNow/status/1512144417532043272

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

does he know what's going on

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Cloks posted:

does he know what's going on

approximately 1 second after this photo he grabbed her skull, pulled her close and took a big whiff of her hair

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Given that Pelosi was next to Biden yesterday and tested positive for COVID today, I wonder if Brown Jackson just got a 'welcome gift' for The Supreme Court... :thunk:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Given that Pelosi was next to Biden yesterday and tested positive for COVID today, I wonder if Brown Jackson just got a 'welcome gift' for The Supreme Court... :thunk:

god can you imagine how funny it would be if she showed up and spread it around and then someone like alito ends up on a vent and biden gets another nom. republicans would never stop crying about how their seat got "stolen back"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

god can you imagine how funny it would be if she showed up and spread it around and then someone like alito ends up on a vent and biden gets another nom. republicans would never stop crying about how their seat got "stolen back"

Wasn't Gorsuch trying to do that to Sotomayor a few months ago?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

yea i think he kept refusing to wear one even though people in the building have pre-existing conditions that would make catching covid more dangerous. i don't recall if he was specifically aiming it at her though

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

He was intentionally coughing in her direction during lunch but in his defense she was reheating leftover fish in the microwave and who does that?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Spergin Morlock posted:

I would totally believe the Republicans to shift gears suddenly to 'The Coronavirus was bad actually and worse under Biden' if some of their Senators or one of the conservative justices died.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I don't believe that authoritarians would be able to acknowledge illness because that acknowledges weakness. They'd just blame Dems for murdering the person and trying to make it look like covid.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I would totally believe the Republicans to shift gears suddenly to 'The Coronavirus was bad actually and worse under Biden' if some of their Senators or one of the conservative justices died.

theyre already doing this and theres no reason to think it wont work since by any objective measurement covid has been worse under biden than it was under trump lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

love da philosopher kings