Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Marzzle posted:

love da philosopher kings

Honestly the whole move to using the shadow docket for this kind of poo poo is probably a net good. They were always going to rule this way and this just shows how nakedly partisan it all is. Masks off and all. gently caress it. Let the court delegitimize itself not like a fully briefed and argued ruling would be any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ok so what's the real deal on Ketanji Brown Jackson? I read something about her being an originalist and had an internal scream.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

oh jeez will KBJ be another constitution worshiper :eng99:?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Originalism is just the judicial equivalent of a posting gimmick. It’s a stylistic flourish. It’s how you justify the vote you’ve already decided you’re going to make

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Scalia but as a proud black woman.

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Apr 9, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Demilich posted:

Ok so what's the real deal on Ketanji Brown Jackson? I read something about her being an originalist and had an internal scream.

Clerked with Breyer but hasn't written enough opinions as a judge to express a constitutional philosophy.

She's a Biden nominee so I expect nothing from her. Pro-business, liberal on social issues probably. Her presence on the Court will change nothing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Clerked with Breyer but hasn't written enough opinions as a judge to express a constitutional philosophy.

She's a Biden nominee so I expect nothing from her. Pro-business, liberal on social issues probably. Her presence on the Court will change nothing.

ok doomer

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

if her presence on the court would change anything, biden wouldn't have nominated her

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marzzle posted:

oh jeez will KBJ be another constitution worshiper :eng99:?

she could be anything, for once the dems actually treated the court like the republicans do and they grabbed some random young judge who ticks the boxes the base likes. She's pro cop though so she probably sucks rear end.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

how likely is it that the biden admin does court packing? heard a lot of mublings about it over the course of KBJ coverage

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Marzzle posted:

how likely is it that the biden admin does court packing? heard a lot of mublings about it over the course of KBJ coverage

Zero

Even if Biden had the desire to do it which he absolutely does not there’s just no way the senate goes along

It serves as something to be talked about on the left and fundraised against on the right and drive media interest

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Marzzle posted:

How does negative probability work?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even if she was the most leftist person in America it would make no difference. If she is good then that's the only reason she was allowed on the bench, because they know she will only ever give dissenting opinions

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoePostingg/status/1512923081660055554

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Demilich posted:

She'll be fine and tbh her judicial philosophy doesn't really matter because she's not going to be the swing vote on anything that matters, she'll reliably be part of the 3 in 6-3 losses and part of the majority in unanimous cases ruling that, idk, qualified immunity means cops can grind up teenagers into fertilizer for the police department garden or something like that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1512999534103781382

more support for my supreme court is dangerously boring theory that even in death rbg is the only liberal justice anyone can be bothered to remember the existence of

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
SCOTUS has been largely neutralized as an agent of change. They'll write 50 page opinions that amount to changing one word in how some piece of legislation is applied.

Brown v. Board was eight pages including footnotes, and it's implications were earth-shattering. That will never happen again.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

more support for my supreme court is dangerously boring theory that even in death rbg is the only liberal justice anyone can be bothered to remember the existence of

the greatest virtue is to die in office. gerontocracy all the way

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SCOTUS has been largely neutralized as an agent of change. They'll write 50 page opinions that amount to changing one word in how some piece of legislation is applied.

Brown v. Board was eight pages including footnotes, and it's implications were earth-shattering. That will never happen again.

Lmao

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

I think you'll find that with the shadow docket they've been able to cut that page count down to zero!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

was not expecting your post history to look the way it does.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

was not expecting your post history to look the way it does.

My guess is OP meant an agent for positive change which is entirely correct rather than an agent of change at all which lol the court is going to be driving a lot of that in the near future

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My guess is OP meant an agent for positive change which is entirely correct rather than an agent of change at all which lol the court is going to be driving a lot of that in the near future

It doesn't. Corporate funded legislature drives change. SCOTUS will go along in most cases. The judiciary has been consistently degraded vs the legislative branch over past few decades.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/whstancil/status/1513322794645344257

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Some Guy TT posted:

:thunkgun:

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Some Guy TT posted:

this is supposed to be funny?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ellasmith posted:

this is supposed to be funny?

No, it's SNL

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Some Guy TT posted:

and hes probably right the main thing that happens there is the press trying to figure out how the justices will vote based on the questions they ask oral arguments dont appear to actually change anyones mind

legal realists proved right once again. the law is what the judge had for breakfast

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Demilich posted:

did you know that we are all textualists now

edit: other than mask lady she'll read anything however she wants no matter how stupid she does not like a mask!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at the chudge that struck down masks on planes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at the chudge that struck down masks on planes

Lol that the Biden admin isn’t even going to bother an appeal

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lol that the Biden admin isn’t even going to bother an appeal

You need to ask for the CDC's permission first silly

Private Cumshoe has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Apr 20, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/1517865880981413888?t=gD5dy-Xn0OlsweJu0RJoYQ&s=19

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Self immolation is a very insane and painful way to go. It brought down Diem and it kicked off the Arab spring. Kind of funny that most Americans aren’t gonna hear about this and the ones that do mostly gonna shrug

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

people are dying horrible fiery deaths all the time in dc. why should this peep think they are special because it wasn’t on the red line?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

breyer had a banger majority decision today about how the city of boston raising a christian flag isnt government endorsed speech because the city of boston let's any stupid org they want raise a flag on flag raising day and boston could just change the rules whenever they want to say no religions allowed if they felt like it

it was a more civilized age that breyer came from the nineties when the supreme court just did dumb pedantic bullshit about stuff noone cared about thank u for the reminder npr

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Some Guy TT posted:

dumb pedantic bullshit

from breyer? shocked!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So how bout that preliminary majority decision leaked overturning Roe and Casey?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the GOP is going to call this leak worse than 1/6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
lol this dropped at like 9pm DC time. Gonna be an exciting news cycle tomorrow.