Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I would encourage you to even look into finishing up your bachelors.

Personally I went and got a masters in a new field in my 40s. Not even online, I actually went to classes on campus with kids, hah! It was a bit awkward for a bit, but there are older folks doing it. I might do it again just to keep the brain fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I used to not think the online MBA's were worth it, because a good chunk of the value is the networking. But these days it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much. And if you really want to just stay at the same company, then it *really* doesn't matter.

You don't need a background in business / associated areas. You're already managing 14 people though, that *is* plenty of relevant experience.

I'd say go for it, and doing an MBA is a good choice instead of an MS specifically in data analytics. Because while you might be getting a masters right now for that specific purpose, things change. You can leverage an MBA into all sorts of opportunities.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

teemolover42069 posted:

they do have MS in data analytics rather than just business, or MBA.

There will be significant overlap in the classes, but the MBA is so much more marketable, and useful for you 10+ years from now. At my local university I think it is one more semester for the MBA.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think online school is dumb as gently caress and am trying to find ways for you to do less of it but if you absolutely need that poo poo to advance sure go ahead

Depends on the school and program! But I hear you.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

teemolover42069 posted:

I think higher education is just a racket and I could easily learn the skills I need through on the job training or free online courses, I have three degrees I don't use at all anymore. I see absolutely no added value in being in person vs being online. If I'm going to have to get another degree to get where I want then at least it can be online. I don't intend to ever work anywhere but from home ever again and I drat sure don't intend to go to a class in person ever again.

a large part of business school is getting friendly with a bunch of people who you can reach out to throughout your career, and it is a lot harder to do that online.

But doesn't sound like you're really interested in all that! So paying way less just to get the actual meat of the courses is probably good. MBA should involve a lot more presentations (online is weird), and paper writing than an MS, which you also might not be interested in.... but I think its good to get those reps with honest critiques of your communication.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

...somehow, I seem to have spontaneously developed discipline over the past 15 years.

Hah! Yah that happens.

You don't have a 4 year degree right now? What are you looking at specifically? Some masters programs do take life experience instead of requiring an undergrad degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

I hadn't thought about an accelerated masters program, and I'm kind of at a loss of where to start searching for that but It sounds like a good place to look.

Probably a tough lift to do a masters in engineering without a suitable undergrad. But it wouldn't hurt to reach out to a local university, explain your situation and see what they would recommend. When I went back, the professor who ran the program was actually happy to get me in (I think he just wanted more warm bodies that year, hah).

A possibility might be to take the aeronautics undergrad level courses to be sure you are up to speed (although your certs might fill in here) , but skip all the general requirements.

teemolover42069 posted:

as it happens I was accepted to both the tuition assistance program at my company and the university :c00l: so I guess this is happening. 2 classes at a time, fully online is honestly a joke and my job is gonna pay for it entirely. guess we'll probably take a hit at tax return time but oh well.

Good deal!

Baddog fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 28, 2023