Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DTaeKim posted:

My wife is looking for remote work. Is IT/an associate's degree in computers the best way to start on that path?

There's remote work these days for a lot of different industries. I have a neighbor who's a Nurse that works remotely, he does informatics I think. I mean IT has an abundance of remote work available, and it pays pretty well, but I wouldn't tell someone to go into IT if they want to work remotely. IT is also very broad. Project Management, being a SCRUM Master, Analyst roles, there's lots of ways to be in IT or IT adjacent without needing a degree in computers.

I started my career with an AAS in IT, and it got me my first job as a jr admin/desktop support person for 42K a year, and from there I worked my way up. I wouldn't recommend it though, it takes a while to work your way up and there's other ways to get your foot in the door without starting out doing desktop support. Salesforce certificates/training, Google Cloud/Amazon/Azure certificates/training, Security training (SOC Analyst), there's a bunch of options out there that I would recommend before doing what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU