Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We also need to mention that the opening song Chiki Chiki Ban Ban is a cover of this 2013 Hungarian song Ciki Ciki Bam Bam

Tamba posted:

After some more digging: It's a eurobeat remix of this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjLbePQg1o

...... which is a cover/remix of the 1969 Japanese version of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf1Ys4nVtM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When he makes this face you know someone's gonna get wrecked

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

It's a fun, stylish, show and an equally good manga. If I have one complaint, it's that conflicts all get resolved a bit too neatly, but sometimes it's nice to have an ending where everyone ends up satisfied.

I guess it's the same mechanism as in the original Sherlock Holmes stories where the protagonist always solves the conflicts neatly because those conflicts and even the entire context they happen in were designed exactly so that the protagonist would be able to do that.
I guess the same is true for most Batman stories where the outcome would pretty much be impossible for anyone who didn't have the exact skill set and knowledge base as Batman. The '66 TV show parodied this beautifully: "Luckily I thought to pack the shark repellent in the Batcopter today!"
It's pretty much necessary for an author to pull those tricks when they're writing a character who is a lot cleverer than they are. YBK is at least playful with the idea, like in the most recent episode where the nightclub owner asks "But what if your hunch wasn't right?" and Kongming replies "Oh that just means I didn't have to use that tactic!! :kheldragar: "

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

What I was (poorly) trying to express is that I do kind of dislike that there are almost no repercussions from his actions. Like he totally fucks over that indie band, but in the end they're still walking away thinking he's a cool dude.

Naw, Kongming was aware those repercussions were likely to happen and had prepared for it. When he wandered into that music store seemingly on a whim on the way to the festival he was actually gathering the final piece he needed for his stratagem to win them over which was buying the band t-shirt for them to sign, to show his mutual respect for their music. The weird sunglasses he also bought was a fakeout, he didn't end up using them at all. I also wouldn't be surprised the shaky truce with the indie band was laying the foundations for an alliance further down the road as part of his longterm schemes.
The fact that he just happened to know the secret recipe to cure the singer's sore throat when even modern doctors hadn't been able to treat it was a bit of an rear end-pull, not quite a "Batman's shark repellent" moment but getting there.

Ibblebibble posted:

I desperately want to know what THAT tactic is.

Maybe it was something to do with the weird sunglasses???? :cool:
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sam Faust posted:

He wore the sunglasses while handing out drinks though?

Ah gently caress of course he did, I'm a dumbass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

Kongming has already forecast that they will be friends and rivals, I am sure he will make it work out fine.

Also it's a pretty safe bet that Kongming already researched everything about Nanami and knew for a fact that she liked to busk at that exact same spot at that exact same time and it absolutely wasn't a coincidence that he arranged a busking permit for Eiko at the same time & place. It's also a pretty safe bet that he somehow maneuvered DJ Kido into asking Eiko to sing "I'm Still Alive Today" and then send her out into the world looking for a more personal way of singing it .....

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 15, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

I loved the music festival episode, perfect strategy. Now Eiko and Kongming just have to master the strategy of social media, which defeats even modern geniuses.

You fool, he's already personally convinced 100,000 separate people to like Eiko's upcoming social media post by granting each of their deepest wishes and changing the course of their lives for the better, he's just waiting for the most tactically auspicious moment to unleash his army of likers

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder how many nights he was up on that viewing platform in that mascot costume, waiting for Eiko to finally turn up. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

What a good episode. I really love how they've been expanding and fleshing things out, giving more characterization to both Eiko's crew and Azalea.

Also, they've been hiding this in plain sight for the whole season (spoilers for today's episode):

drat

It's not like it's exactly an obscure story either. Youtube link (spoiler for today's episode)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nemo2342 posted:

I know it's not exactly obscure, I just thought it was really funny that they've had it on display all this time.
Yeah, I'm just annoyed at myself for knowing that the anime plot required Kongming to pull 100,000 of [something] out of thin air against all odds and not making the connection :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kongming is back! Apparently the live action adaptation of the anime is currently airing, they're up to episode 3 already
https://www.fujitv.com/drama/yaboykongming/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7Xk9_A7Lk

The total height of the costume (including ridiculously tall hat) is apparently 6'11" lol