Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Official Site: https://www.counterside.com/home/
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CounterSideGlobal/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CounterSideGBL

What is this game?
It's a Gacha with BattleCats tower defense style gameplay. You'll be building teams of 8 (multiple teams in some modes) and summoning them onto a linear tower defense board where they'll need to defend their ship and destroy the other team's ship or survive a certain number of waves or whatever. Some stages have puzzle elements where you move your teams around on a board and the autobattle sucks poo poo on them but what can ya do. The game has been out for a while in KR and SEA, and the SEA version even has a PC client with a full English translation, so you can download that and get a feel for it right now if you want a preview before release on 5/26.

Gameplay Modes:
Story
This is your standard story progression mode. You need to get through these to unlock other features and early resources, as with most other games of this type. In SEA right now the normal difficulty is straight battles and the hard difficulty is the puzzle levels. In the CBT these were all mixed up. We'll see what we get.

Dive
This is your challenge tower. You'll take a couple teams through increasingly hard battles where you'll pick up some artifacts to help on the journey and collect a bunch of growth resources depending how far you can get. Resets periodically and can sweep previously completed levels and the autobattle is pretty fine at all but the deepest levels.

Danger Close
It's a boss challenge mode with leaderboards based on how fast you clear the two bosses. Three tries a day and it resets every two weeks. Whichever characters you use for the first boss will be locked out for the second boss, but that restriction doesn't apply to dupes. So you may want to hang on to a dupe of like a critical support character so you can run them for both bosses eventually

A whole bunch of other poo poo
There's your usual dispatch system that can uncover raids you can share with your friends/guild. There's side story levels. There are daily resource collection levels. There are challenge stages. There's a dorm where you can poke at your cheebs. Also PvP of the ranked (live) and strategy (asynchronous) varieties

Gacha Summoning:
This is a gacha game so you're definitely gonna be doing 10x pulls looking for 5* and dupes to star up your girls. The other versions of this game are pretty well established and popular, so the tier lists are out there and I'll link the good stuff below. There's a separate gacha currency for 'awakened' units, where you'll get about 70 free pulls a month if you're doing all your daily/weekly activities. These units tend to be extremely good so yeah you're gonna be pretty annoyed if you don't manage to pull Awakened Hilde on the first banner.

Here are some guides from prydwen.co which is the #1 resource for this game:
Global tier list (Change drop box from SEA Server to Global Server) - https://www.prydwen.co/tier-list
'Reroll' guide - https://www.prydwen.co/guides/reroll
Beginners guide - https://www.prydwen.co/guides/beginner/

Is this game FTP friendly?
If you don't plan on trying to top the PvP ladder or get obsessive about getting your favorite awakened then you'll be fine being mostly/completely free to play. PvP doesn't matter much unless you really want a fancy avatar frame or other cosmetic thing. Most PvP rewards come from just participating so you can just throw a lvl1 character in there and get immediately vaporized to collect your participation trophies if you want.

What are all these currencies and what do I use them on?
Quartz - basic currency earned in game. Primary use for F2P players is to save for black tickets. More on those in a second. Can be used to buy a large variety of things most of which should be avoided unless you are paying and even then a bunch of stuff is not a good value. Shop refreshes can be helpful. Don't use them to pull for units.

Admin coins - paid currency. Best value is the subscription if you are buying them. Used to buy lots more things but primary use for low spenders would be the counter pass. I save em for skins....

Employment contracts aka Blue tickets - these are important to save for specific units unless you really care about getting your favorite waifu. Can buy them in the daily shop for coins and are gotten lots of other places. Don't buy them with quartz and don't spend them on operators unless you are whaling or just to pick a couple extra to fill your dive teams.

Classified employment contracts aka black tickets - used for awakened recruits. Need 20 of them to do one pull. Best way to get them is to buy the weekly quartz pack for 11 pulls. Can also be rarely found in the daily shop for quartz, buy em there. Have to really look ahead and pick who you want to get in the future because unless you are spending a lot you aren't getting every awakened for a long time. I think the estimate was one unit every 2.5 months. Research before you pull as some units are key to pve while others are key to pvp.

Simulation tickets - used for simulations. Would not recommend buying them except for possibly the cube one. But at some point that won't be needed.

Challenge tickets - as stated above they are used for doing the challenge stages. They are pretty easy early on but eventually ramp up. You only get one a day and can hold a max of 10.

Superconductive token - had to look the name of this up. Raid tokens you get sometimes from completing raids. Mainly gotten through earning different tiers of raid points. Used to craft raid gear. I swear in SEA they were also used in a shop but thats not present here or at least not yet.

Binaries - not really a currency per se but used to reroll stats on gear. Very important stuff. You are going to be super disappointed when you get that new piece of maze gear and its like anti support or something on it. Purple ones are used for the substats plus enhancing while gold ones are used on the main stat such as turning that anti support into cooldown reduction. Use these only on maze gear right now and don't be surprised when you don't get the one you want. Lots of places to get these slowly. It will always be slow unless you spend.

Event specific currency - right now its chocoballs. Other events will have different ones. Usual advice is to farm the event until you get all the stuff you want from the shop. Sometimes there are items in shops where it is actually not a good value to buy the item. Farm the hardest stage you can for the most value.

Fusion cores - these are used to limit break units past 100. You need 15 per 2 levels for an SSR. It used to be good advice to use dupe SSRs to limit break but now with a new system we won't have for a long time it is better to save certain dupes. These will trickle in slowly.

Owner less business cards - these are the little black cards you get from trashing units. The shop for these is prime spot to get fusion cores each week. And 1 lifetime contract each month.

There is also the dive currency you get from dives and the pvp currency from pvp to use in their respective shots. Best to always clear out the pvp shop before moving on to the rare gear they have. We didn't earn enough currency to do it this go around but in the third tier you can get 4 pulls worth of black tickets each reset.

Task planet points - almost forgot these. These are points you earn everytime you pull a unit. These are the points to use to get operators. It costs 3000 points per operator. This is the real way to get the ones you want. It only costs you pulling 300 units....

Random tips and tricks:
- If you REALLY want to roll hard on Awakened Hilde you can cancel out of the first gacha summon tutorial to have more free currency to spend on that banner
- Look at the reroll guide when rolling on the intro selective recruitment panel. It guarantees you 1x SSR and 3x SR and lets you reroll 30 times. You almost surely want Nanahara Chifuyu unless you're all in on PvP in which case Gaeun is also legit. I'll be accepting the first pull I get with both Chifuyu and Evelyn Keller (best healer) in it.
- Do the new player activities in the missions tab (starts as 'small business adminsitration') It gives you lots of resources and will guide you through early activities
- Eventually you'll get a coupon for a free ship. Get the Gleipnir
- If you send your tank out on a mining mission, it puts on a little construction hat

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Goon Consortium(s):
GaeunSwarm
KrabRanGOONS - Currently full
GoonSquad
FreeWilly

Friend IDs:
Gyoru - 4134685
ExtrudeAlongCurve - 4138390
Envgard - 4019654
GoodluckJonathan - 4092258
Whoreson Welles - 4130396
Good Citizen - 4045679
Alchem - 4127126
Rynyin - 4123892
Vitamean - 4049031
Cheap Trick - 8548153
Presteign - 4051113
New Leaf - 4076598
Teva - 4122907
Kyoujin - 4190401
StrixNebulosa - 4035102

Promo Codes:
CSGBLSALARY2YOU
CSGLBCORE2YOU
MELODY4CSGBL
CSGBLOLDFEAR
THXCSBGLS2

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 19, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I値l check this out because I知 a sucker

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

i will reroll i guess

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Gyoru posted:

i will reroll i guess

I wont, probably. With the 30x10 pull reroll selector and the 160 free pulls, the only unit you're probably rerolling on is Awakened Hilde. And yeah, she's an extremely good wall, but her summon cost is way high and she's really JUST a wall. So she's pretty great in PvP and late game content, but most story stuff you're better off just pumping more damage. And a combination of Nanahara Chifuyu and maybe some Administration Shieldmen will hold your line in place just fine usually

kater
Nov 16, 2010

awakened is just a limited banner or something mechanically different?

or is the character just named awakened hilde lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

kater posted:

awakened is just a limited banner or something mechanically different?

or is the character just named awakened hilde lol

Yeah, awakened are limited banners that use a different premium currency. Supposedly you get enough from daily activities and stuff to get about 70 free pulls on it a month

e: so there's like normal hilde and then awakened hilde is a diff character

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
You should be getting around 1300 black tickets a month if you are diligently refreshing the shop five times a day with quartz, which amounts to a pity (150 pulls) every ten weeks. The problem is the accelerated schedule for awakening banners in GL. Yoo Mina is very skippable, but Yuna in July and Na Yubin in August really are not. As such, rerolling for A.Hilde is highly recommended, but it will be annoying to try to obtain her with only 11 pulls as well as line up Chifuyu, Gaeun, and Yang Harim (who is a critical unit, but not available as the GSSR in the Selective Banner)

the first Counter Pass (battle pass) is highly recommended if you are going to spend money, Eins & Zwei are very strong

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

This game sounds extremely up alley. Rdy 2 Roll, in other words.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What day and time is this launching

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What day and time is this launching

May 26 midnight EST

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I am prepared for the most intense SALARY NEGOTIATIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2A8olYn0qE

Also chalk me up as another of the "not rerolling" crowd, I hold to the philosophy of working with whatever I get first in any gacha game

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 24, 2022

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I installed the SEA client to try it out and I'm super hyped now. Spent all night playing.

I am a chronic reroller though so I'm really hoping it's not too painful.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait the characters don't have animal ears??

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll be checking this out

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

kater posted:

wait the characters don't have animal ears??

No, that's Arknights, which is a different flavour of sci-fi dystopia. In Counterside, the magic rock just turns you into a monster instead of giving you cancer, and it has genderbent Geralt in a business casual suit instead of bunny CEO in a techwear jacket and sneakers.

According to the roadmap, though, they'll be launching with the Valentine's Day costumes. So, yeah, you can have bunny ears if you're willing to fork out the cash, and roll 2 Gaeuns too.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I kind of thought I was done with Gacha games after Dislyte but honestly this looks way too loving cool. Living the mark life.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Not clear on when exactly this is launching right now. The launch trailer stream said we壇 be getting in on the 26th, but the most recent posts from the official channel have the preload starting at that time. I was hoping for 9pm pst tonight but I guess we値l need to wait and see at this point. My guess is preload tonight and launch tomorrow but I値l update if more info comes out

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Some more info links for the impeding global release:

Beginner's Guide to PVP

How to Not Int Your Money (whale shop guide)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Not clear on when exactly this is launching right now. The launch trailer stream said we壇 be getting in on the 26th, but the most recent posts from the official channel have the preload starting at that time. I was hoping for 9pm pst tonight but I guess we値l need to wait and see at this point. My guess is preload tonight and launch tomorrow but I値l update if more info comes out

I think it actually launches on the 27th so maybe 9pm on the 26th

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Cheap Trick posted:

Some more info links for the impeding global release:

How to Not Int Your Money (whale shop guide)

" Around 2,500 USD spent wisely on good value can net you a very competitive account which is very good in gacha standards. "

:stonklol:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

never trust anything telling you about the best value.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I've been enjoying my time with gacha games for the last 6 months or so for that daily little dopamine hit, but when I read stuff like that I can feel my brain start to short circuit and I need to lie down.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

" Around 2,500 USD spent wisely on good value can net you a very competitive account which is very good in gacha standards. "

:stonklol:

Yeah that's psycho poo poo. If you like the game and want to throw the devs a few bucks for good time spent then maybe get an event pass or a currency-per-day pack every once in a while. There's like no material benefit for going beyond that.

I go to vegas and I gamble. I'm not against gambling. $2,500 for anime ladies is mental illness territory though. Don't do that.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

There's no way I'm going to drop that much cash into CounterSide, simply because I'm not interested in ranking high in PVP.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I mean it's just some comment, the person almost certainly ain't a whale themselves cuz they recommend not buying pulls and instead get leveling gear.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

what did you people think 'whale' meant, 50 bucks? f2p's aint paying for the servers, 2500 a month people are. don't look at that as a measure of how much you need to pay to do well in the game its how much a top spender might justify spending because money is much lower value to them

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 25, 2022

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
So whaling in this game doesn't usually mean pulling for more than one copy of a character. Fusion cores are an item you can use to limit break characters without the need for dupes past level 100. You can buy those with the currency you can get for real money or from events and shops.

Rerolling gear substats is where the whaling truly comes in. You need binaries to reroll substats and without a lot of luck there is a good bit of rerolling involved. Yes the top pvp teams are max level 110 characters but the real power comes from the gear. Saving binaries to use only on certain pieces of gear is where f2p hit that wall. Whales just whale until they have all perfect gear rerolls.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
A bunch of really great starting tips in this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/gachagaming/comments/uxiiqo/counter_side_day_1_survival_guide/

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It's available to download on Google play. Not sure if it's actually playable, will find out soon...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah pretty sure it goes live tomorrow maybe about this time.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/CounterSideGBL/status/1529644626398679040

On Android, the app was 70MB or so, then there's a 4GB data download when the game is opened.

One more day!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah pretty sure it goes live tomorrow maybe about this time.

https://twitter.com/countersidegbl/status/1529688792700813312?s=21&t=sSuyB6dGGuOOAu2bIqJfIw

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

quote:

Dear CEOs,

The Official CounterSide Global Service will be open on:
27th of May, 2022 at 09:00 (UTC+9)
26th of May, 2022 at 19:00 (UTC-5).

We will see you all tomorrow!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Since we're launching at 5pm PST today, some condensed tips on your initial pulls, whether you're rerolling or not

-You can force close the game when the initial pull tutorial comes up, keeping your quartz, which you can then spend on the 2750 quartz classified recruitment package (the awakened Hilde banner). This roll is the only one that actually matters so its a binary did/didn't get A. Hilde on whether or not you should reroll your account if you're planning to do so

-Rerolling or no, save your selective recruitment banner (the one that lets you retry 30 times) until you do all of your other rolls. Since this guarantees an SSR its better to know which ones you already do/don't have before committing here. Ideally you want to leave all of your intro pulls with Nanahara Chifuyu AND Gaeun, so if you manage to get one or the other off the other pulls then you can hunt for the missing one on the selective banner.

-Theres a code in the second post, CSTRAILER, that gives 1500 free quartz

Good luck!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I, for one, am looking forward to restarting this game for the third time (SEA/CBT/Global) and still being completely incapable of pulling Gaeun.

SEA, still Gaeunless

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Gaeun-dolences

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

drat I think I知 gonna reroll this time. I have a good feeling about this game but I don稚 really wanna spend a lot of money so I need a strong start

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
As a general rule, I don't reroll unless it's one of those free in-game "roll until you're satisfied" things. Everyone say a little prayer for me. I think this one is going to be on my phone for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
if you're going to reroll like me, don't forget: it takes about seven minutes to rush the tutorial, then the game tries to force you to do a pull on the New CEO Favored Recruitment banner for 1000 quartz, so you have to close the app and open it again. Then you gotta collect the mail, put in the "CSTRAILER" code for 1500 quartz, go to the store, scroll all the way to the bottom, buy the "Classified Recruitment Quartz Package" for 2750 quartz, and then use those tickets to pull on Awakened Hilde banner.