Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

The pain about custard is making use of 2 egg whites at a time, at least to me. I don’t really know what to do with them other than fry them

Angel's food cake, cocktails, omelets, stocks, or toss em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Angel's food cake, cocktails, omelets, stocks, or toss em.

Stock? Can I just dump them in my bag of chicken bones for later pressure cooking? That would be almost too easy.

I hate to toss them, some hen ate a bunch of dirt and popped that out for me :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume he means for clarifying stocks which you would do after it’s made

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I assume he means for clarifying stocks which you would do after it’s made

This. I make stock weekly so if I have egg whites in the fridge i'll just throw em in there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Whip to stiff peaks with a half cup of sugar, toss with nuts and spices, roast! https://bonappetitbabyblog.com/2020/03/06/smoky-spiced-pecans/

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Egg whites freeze really well. I tend to throw them in the freezer until I have enough for an angel food cake, or make these . Super easy, taste like the crispy edges of a brownie.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just tried "vanilla ice cream with Sichuan chili crisp" and hell loving yes

Top 3 material here

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I still maintain that pomegranate molasses is a top tier topping for vanilla ice cream.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did a strawberry ice cream with:
1.5 cups strawberries tossed with .5 cup light brown sugar, tsp of corn syrup, tsp of balsamic, and a pinch of salt. Mashed and let it macerate for a bit before adding .5 cup fresh basil and a cup of heavy cream. Flavor ended up coming out good, basil hits you up front and then the balsamic is there on the tail - but it almost comes out in layers/wedges instead of scoops. Thinking that the basil is just too solid for it and I need to bring it down a ton to improve my texture?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd definitely steep the basil in the cream then remove before churning. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and you are doing that!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd definitely steep the basil in the cream then remove before churning. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding and you are doing that!

I wanted some basil in the ice cream itself to get some color contrast/texture, but I definitely need to adjust the ratio from like 50:50 to 90:10 steeped.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ah, got it. Did you chiffonade? Also what about candying some first?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Ah, got it. Did you chiffonade? Also what about candying some first?

Yes. Hadn't considered it as I think it'll push the whole thing over into being too sweet.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Did a blackberry sorbet with local blackberries. Didn’t expect it to come out blood red. Super tasty.

Also did a peanut butter/banana “sorbet”. Creami had a hell of a time with this one. It’s so thick and smooth though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The gauntlet has been thrown, friends. Who wants to try making one or more of these?

https://www.anyahindmarch.com/pages/the-ice-cream-project

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

The gauntlet has been thrown, friends. Who wants to try making one or more of these?

https://www.anyahindmarch.com/pages/the-ice-cream-project

"cult food brands" = heinz and hp sauce???

some of those look great though. For another take on the golden syrup one this muscavado sugar recipe is very good (but use locust bean gum, not the other stabilizers mentioned).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Verisimilidude posted:

I picked up the Cuisinart ICE-21p1 ice cream machine after falling in love with the gelato in Italy and it has been pretty awesome so far. I’ve been messing with custard recipes for gelato at home and it has produced amazing results, so much nicer tasting than anything bought from a store.

Today I made almond butter gelato and I can’t wait to dig in. It tends to come out a bit on the soft side fresh out of the machine, so I let it rest for a few hours, preferably overnight, in the freezer. Then it’s absolutely perfect.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChssqqYFgQ3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Planning a bbq for Labor Day weekend so I’ll be making two batches for my guests, though I do need recommendations for flavors!

X-posting here, didn't know this thread existed!

This is the second batch of gelato I've made. It's a simple recipe, based off some custards I've made in the past. This bath has almond butter and a small bit of almond extract added, and it came out great. Very creamy and smooth and rich.

I need more recipes and flavor suggestions for labor day, so I'll definitely be tuning into this thread often!!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Bringing this here from the equipment thread

Verisimilidude posted:

I took this advice and picked up some black cocoa powder. Made black chocolate and orange gelato, using my regular custard recipe and substituting the lemon peel for orange peel. I took the peel out before cooling the custard in the fridge, as it had already produced a fairly strong orange flavor. I also added a quarter teaspoon of instant espresso powder, and I used two tablespoons of black cocoa powder like you suggested.

Tasted it last night and it was good, definitely B+ tier, but I tasted it again this morning and after a full night’s rest in the freezer it’s definitely an A tier flavor.

Next time I’ll make it without the orange peel, and maybe with a bit of salt to help bring out the chocolate flavor more.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChyDQVWgKnF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’ve been meaning to add espresso powder, thanks for the reminder! Glad you liked it. I think next I’m going to try experimenting with making some sort of fudge ribbon/swirl thing. I’ll check The Perfect Scoop but if anyone else has a foolproof recipe, I’m all ears.

Edit to add:

I tried making some sweet corn custard last week, it was okay but definitely has room for improvement. I was trying to make a base and then do several different flavors and while everything turned out acceptably, it got a bit dicey and some base got spilled while pouring. Anyway, I ended up about a half cup short on custard after steeping the corn kernels and straining it out due to the aforementioned spillage, and decided to just add back corn kernels until I had a pint. Froze for 48 hours, and needed two churns in the Creami. It was incredible freshly churned, and the corn kernels were really tender bits distributed throughout. Unfortunately re-freezing the pint caused the kernel bits to re-crystallize into pretty big chunks and the texture was ruined, and we didn’t even finish the pint. Next time I’ll omit the kernels and just do one flavor at a time.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 28, 2022

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm pretty sure Tillamook is not available on the east coast, but it's Tillamook 100%.
I can find tillamook basically everywhere un virginia, tried one of their ice cream sandwiches and the ice cream was trash, 50% air and that weird texture you get from xantham gun that makes it so it won't melted even under the sun.

Turned me off from even trying their regular ice cream

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Made the David Leibowitz chocolate sherbert and some waffles and cream to go with it. The gelato would have been better on its own tbh, the combination wasn't amazing despite all the parts being good.

It hadn't quite frozen when I got it out the freezer to serve but there was this cool crystal

mystes
May 31, 2006

I really have to get it on this David Leibowitz action

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

His chocolate sorbet is so good. Staying in rotation for sure.

I just made just-wing-it-ratios frozen Greek yogurt + honey + black cherries and it's quite good. Texture could be better but honey is just so drat sweet - next time I will sub some dextrose. That way it can get creamier without an overwhelming honey flavor. It's really good, and will pair well with a neutral cookie or nut mix in to balance it out.

First spin

Second

Third
https://i.imgur.com/RGudHj1.mp4

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Haven't posted in GWS for ages but I got a creami and just wanted to say thank you for all the inspiration I see in here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Toast!

Come say hi in the chat thread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

And post your creations here :)

I like the sentiment here - not sure I'll try these flavors specifically but I should definitely get funky in general.
https://youtu.be/tjmzfOUOw08

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
what's the highest number of respins a batch has taken to come out with a reasonable texture? i made pumpkin spice ice cream with loads of pumpkin puree (though i did cook it to drive off some excess moisture) and even with 1 spin + 2 respins, it's not quite there. i added some junk and did an additional spin for mix-ins and finally it's pretty dece.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

amaguri posted:

what's the highest number of respins a batch has taken to come out with a reasonable texture? i made pumpkin spice ice cream with loads of pumpkin puree (though i did cook it to drive off some excess moisture) and even with 1 spin + 2 respins, it's not quite there. i added some junk and did an additional spin for mix-ins and finally it's pretty dece.

i've had to do like 3 with some fruit stuff sometimes, i just assume it has to do with higher water content freezing harder and needing a little more time to get to the temp where it can meld together rather than crumble

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The creami is on sale for $129 and is very tempting. Unfortunately only comes with one pint though. I’ve been craving ice cream and reading this thread has not helped.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The creami is on sale for $129 and is very tempting. Unfortunately only comes with one pint though. I’ve been craving ice cream and reading this thread has not helped.

extra pints are dirt cheap. Get it and then order them separately.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is your reminder that you can freeze store bought eggnog and spin it into a drat tasty ice cream with the Creami. I like doing a mix in of mini cinnamon chips.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you. I just tidied the garage and sighed at my creami, saying "we have lots of pastries and cookies, you need to wait a season"

I was wrong, it will be used very soon. Add any rum or just float it at service?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Crossposting from the GBS Costco thread, but I threw a quarter of a Costco pumpkin pie, crust and all, in the blender with enough milk to get it smooth and the resulting Creami ice cream was better than the pie itself was in the first place.

As for the famous brands flavors, I’ve also done an Arnold Palmer sorbet with PG tips and that was very good.

I’m intrigued by some of the more savory flavors though. Thinking I might try that Youtube guy’s Hushpuppies and Old Bay sometime soon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Thank you. I just tidied the garage and sighed at my creami, saying "we have lots of pastries and cookies, you need to wait a season"

I was wrong, it will be used very soon. Add any rum or just float it at service?

Haven’t tried adding booze yet. A little should work (help, even) but too much will affect the freezing/texture. Report back!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doc says I need to chill out on the sugar

Has anyone tried substituting sucralose for sugar in homemade ice cream?

Edit: okay Google seems to say sucralose works as long as it’s the kind that’s fluffed with maltodextrin

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 4, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Haven’t tried adding booze yet. A little should work (help, even) but too much will affect the freezing/texture. Report back!

The gelato ebook I mentioned in the OP says 30g rum per 500g batch of pina colada, and the other macros (fat & sugar) match the egg nog pretty closely so I'm trying that. Traditional alcoholic egg nog would have ~100g rum per 500g nog, so this will be 1/3 normal booze strength, but I want to try it as recommended first and if need be I can always add rum, refreeze, respin to experiment. I have 500g of the alc-free nog too, for the pregnant wife. Yay creami convenience!

Steve Yun posted:

Doc says I need to chill out on the sugar

Has anyone tried substituting sucralose for sugar in homemade ice cream?

Edit: okay Google seems to say sucralose works as long as it’s the kind that’s fluffed with maltodextrin

I tried the Creami site recommendation of monk fruit sweetener and it wasn't for me - the sugar alcohol has that tingly sensation on the tongue. I would instead start with your favorite-tasting sugar substitute, and if it can't adjust the freezing point on its own like sucralose then you can add maltodextrin using a calculator. This also might help, haven't read it but looks legit https://scholarlycommons.obu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1856&context=honors_theses

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BrianBoitano posted:

[*]$60: 1.5 pint thermoelectric seems to have the pros of the "Compressor models" below but with a smaller capacity and device footprint to boot. I believe it uses a peltier cooler which should be more reliable long-term than a compressor, as long as the hot side gets adequate cooling (don't block the vents!). Also available for $50 "renewed". Thanks for the contribution Anne Whateley!

Word of warning on buying these renewed, I guess, I've had two in a row arrive without mixing paddles (the original and the one I exchanged it for). The seller is no help (basically "we have no idea how these things work, we just sell them on Amazon") and replacements aren't available on the aftermarket, so be careful you don't end up with a paperweight.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That sucks, sorry. I have no idea why they were discontinued, they're absolutely the best and cheapest on the market. It looks like there are some on ebay being sold by individuals, so you might able to find ones that have the paddle in a pic, or message the seller to ask in advance

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well that sucks. Adding a caveat emptor to the OP.

I did the nog! 30g rum in 500g nog adds the flavor it needs but not going to count as a "drink". It's also the absolute limit before it becomes too soft, at least in my freezer. A rum float works great, so I'd recommend that if you want a good amount of rum!

I also realized that egg nog is not really my jam. Never has been, but I found something that absolutely does work for me.

Nogffogato!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Well that sucks. Adding a caveat emptor to the OP.

I did the nog! 30g rum in 500g nog adds the flavor it needs but not going to count as a "drink". It's also the absolute limit before it becomes too soft, at least in my freezer. A rum float works great, so I'd recommend that if you want a good amount of rum!

I also realized that egg nog is not really my jam. Never has been, but I found something that absolutely does work for me.

Nogffogato!

Good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I did a super simple honey ice cream on the creami and it reminds me of my all time favorite Häagen-Dazs vanilla and honey flavor that they retired, I was a bit worried about the egg flavor but turns out there was no need and the texture is amazing.

Whisk 0.5 cup of honey with 6 egg yolks until fluffy and pale.
Simmer 1.5 cup of milk, slowly whisk into egg and honey.
Dump into pan and whisk or stir on low heat until custard is done.
Strain and mix in 1 cup heavy cream and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

I wanna try with a vanilla pod next time, and maybe caramelize the honey and see what happens... but as I made it, it was great with some toasted walnuts.

I recently did a medovik and I'd like to try that.. make caramel with some butter, honey, salt and some baking soda... it tastes like stroopwafel.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 2, 2023