Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump mad because others are more important than him.
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1781420746981388662

Also, lol fuming.

e: also
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1781460892669911279

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
From the Pagliery thread above:

Merchan:

After denying Trump's *third* attempt to review a minor point in a previous ruling by the judge, Merchan shows he's had enough.

"Defense is literally targeting individual decisions one by one by one and writing pre-motion letters. That has to end.."

"There comes at point that you accept my rulings. I've entertained your motions. I've entertained your arguments... but at some point you need to accept the court's rulings. There's nothing else to clarify."

Merchan now serving up a dish of reality to the former president's legal team, which seems to think they can still avoid the inevitable.

"There's nothing else to reargue. We're going to have opening statements Monday morning. This trial is starting."

Can we get this judge to replace Cannon?

It's obvious to all that Trump's MO is to delay delay delay, stretch it out. It generally works out in civil trials, because he usually can drag it out so long that the other person gets tired of the legal warfare and drops it just to get rid of Trump (or goes bankrupt from expenses)

The Government lawyers JOB is legal warfare on a grand scale, and prettttty sure they won't go bankrupt.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuming and increasingly isolated (room clears as everyone gets a whiff)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

Fuming and increasingly isolated (room clears as everyone gets a whiff)

*Bangs gavel*

Odour in the court!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

From jury selection

Probably a good strike

Eh...? I don't get that. It means that guy is way less likely to be brain poisoned by Facebook and other social networking sites.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...? I don't get that. It means that guy is way less likely to be brain poisoned by Facebook and other social networking sites.

His main source of news was the NY Post.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

And yet Trump wasn’t convicted of rape, so I guess it wasn’t enough.

The Judge that presided over that case disagrees.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/07/19/trump-carroll-judge-rape/

quote:

Judge clarifies: Yes, Trump was found to have raped E. Jean Carroll

Analysis by Aaron Blake

After Donald Trump was found liable for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll, his legal team and his defenders lodged a frequent talking point.

Despite Carroll’s claims that Trump had raped her, they noted, the jury stopped short of saying he committed that particular offense. Instead, jurors opted for a second option: sexual abuse.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.
“This was a rape claim, this was a rape case all along, and the jury rejected that — made other findings,” his lawyer, Joe Tacopina, said outside the courthouse.

A judge has now clarified that this is basically a legal distinction without a real-world difference. He says that what the jury found Trump did was in fact rape, as commonly understood.

Kaplan roundly rejected Trump’s motion Tuesday, calling that argument “entirely unpersuasive.”

“The finding that Ms. Carroll failed to prove that she was ‘raped’ within the meaning of the New York Penal Law does not mean that she failed to prove that Mr. Trump ‘raped’ her as many people commonly understand the word ‘rape,’ ” Kaplan wrote.

He added: “Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found that Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that.”

Kaplan said New York’s legal definition of “rape” is “far narrower” than the word is understood in “common modern parlance.”

The former requires forcible, unconsented-to penetration with one’s penis. But he said that the conduct the jury effectively found Trump liable for — forced digital penetration — meets a more common definition of rape. He cited definitions offered by the American Psychological Association and the Justice Department, which in 2012 expanded its definition of rape to include penetration “with any body part or object.”

Kaplan also flatly rejected the Trump team’s suggestion that the conduct Trump was found liable for might have been as limited as groping of the breasts.

The reason? Trump was not accused of that, so the only alleged offense that would have qualified as “sexual abuse” was forced digital penetration. Beyond that, Trump was accused of putting his mouth on Carroll’s mouth and pulling down her tights, which Kaplan noted were not treated as alleged sexual abuse at trial.

“The jury’s finding of sexual abuse therefore necessarily implies that it found that Mr. Trump forcibly penetrated her vagina,” Kaplan wrote, calling it the “only remaining conclusion.”

Kaplan also noted that the verdict form did not ask the jury to decide exactly what conduct Trump had committed, and that neither prosecutors nor Trump’s lawyers had requested it to do so.

“Mr. Trump’s attempt to minimize the sexual abuse finding as perhaps resting on nothing more than groping of Ms. Carroll’s breasts through her clothing is frivolous,” Kaplan wrote.

He added that the jury clearly found that Trump had “ ‘raped’ her in the sense of that term broader than the New York Penal Law definition.”

The motion was a part of Trump’s efforts to appeal the verdict against him. That’s an effort that will apparently continue as he faces a separate defamation lawsuit from Carroll, dealing with claims Trump made about her allegations while he was still president.

But for now, Trump’s effort to push back has led to a rather remarkable clarification that severely undercuts his main talking point.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

No they don't. They never said Trump was convicted of rape

gregday
May 23, 2003

Technically, being found liable isn't a conviction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Donald Trump is a rapist

TheKub
May 11, 2006

How about ajudicated rapist Donald J Trump?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

That was a civil trial, and only required that the jury thought he had probably done it, but that they were sure beyond a reasonable doubt. So he wasn’t convicted

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TheKub posted:

How about ajudicated rapist Donald J Trump?

“Ajudged”?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guest2553 posted:

*Bangs gavel*

Odour in the court!

Would be a fantastic thread title if we hadn't just had a perfect new one. Just wanted you to know your post was recognized. :patriot:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Fart Amplifier posted:

No they don't. They never said Trump was convicted of rape
That's an actual dumb poo poo conservative argument used, that and "innocent of 91 counts" until proven guilty. They shut up once they come across someone who knows what words and logic are, i.e. I can commit all the crimes, just all of 'em- kill babies, rape priests, other way around- then flee somewhere that doesn't extradite and suddenly I'm technically the world's most innocent man and never convicted of anything by the same logic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Ajudged”?

No

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Ajudged”?

Because English is stupid it might be "Ajudgd" as in Judgment.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Apparently Donald Trump has hired a woman, Natalie Harp, for $8000 a month, and one of her duties is to carry around a portable printer to download flattering articles from right wing sites to print out for his amusement and constant ego stroking. More people should know about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCbj3MKDok

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 20, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hobologist posted:

Apparently Donald Trump has hired a woman, Natalie Harp, for $8000 a month, and one of her duties is to carry around a portable printer to download flattering articles from right wing sites to print out for his amusement and constant ego stroking. More people should know about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCbj3MKDok

He's always had someone do that. I think it used to be Hope Hicks's job.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That sounds like the easiest job in the world assuming she actually gets paid. 96k a year to print articles?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has his lawyer bought a sick gaming laptop to court yet?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Gyges posted:

I think I would have been fun to explain to the defense my bedrock belief in a fair and unbiased trial no matter how big a piece of poo poo the defendant is. Just give a fine ol' speech about the sacred duty of the jury for even the most worthless worms, while maintaining eye contact with Donny.

Basically channel Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln. "Even a creature as loathsome and vile as Donald Trump deserves a fair trial."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We could always turn to the judgment of the Oratrice Mecanique d'Analyse Cardinale all things failing, I'm sure its judgment is perfect and flawless.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus, the guy who lit himself on fire lives in my city. There's a house I drive by that has some crazy MAGA/Q banners hanging up and I wonder if it's the same guy.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated
much like with the soldier who self-immolated over Palestinian genocide, i have no doubt that that man dies sometime today. that level of being burned isn't recoverable

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus, the guy who lit himself on fire lives in my city. There's a house I drive by that has some crazy MAGA/Q banners hanging up and I wonder if it's the same guy.

He thought Trump was in on the conspiracy so I doubt he had MAGA stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Unlikely. The guy who lit himself on fire didn't really care about Trump at all - he thought all US politics since the mid-90s were just fake theater set up by The Conspiracy to deceive and distract the people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He thought Trump was in on the conspiracy so I doubt he had MAGA stuff.

Main Paineframe posted:

Unlikely. The guy who lit himself on fire didn't really care about Trump at all - he thought all US politics since the mid-90s were just fake theater set up by The Conspiracy to deceive and distract the people.

Maybe.

I don't recall exactly what the rotating banners said, exactly, except that they were crazy in a Bill Gates vaccine microchip kind of way so maybe I mistakenly superimposed and projected a MAGA/Trump/Q narrative to them. I just remember they were quite nuts, very hard to read and spray painted by hand on to bed sheets. A new one would show up every few weeks or so and, over the last two or three months, they've just STOPPED. Prior to that, the person was quite dedicated to the bit.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

It’s very Q adjacent just not directly so. The idea that a global cabal of elites is manipulating the population via media to disenfranchise and eventually enslave everyone cuts across a lot of conspiracies. That’s it’s true just from the wealthy seek generally to corrupt distributed government to further consolidate their control on the generation of wealth aspect probably doesn’t help.

This persons particular brand of paranoia just doesn’t buy the ‘Trump is god king sent by the baby jeezus (along with reincarnated hero’s from our childhood) to show us the way to Aslans kingdom’ aspect of Qanon but it’s broadly the same thing.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Staluigi posted:

much like with the soldier who self-immolated over Palestinian genocide, i have no doubt that that man dies sometime today. that level of being burned isn't recoverable

If I was in his shoes, I’d probably want to. Having to live with the pain after that level of being burned coupled with his mental illness and the fact he’ll have to depend on someone else for pretty much everything…

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Murgos posted:

It’s very Q adjacent just not directly so. The idea that a global cabal of elites is manipulating the population via media to disenfranchise and eventually enslave everyone cuts across a lot of conspiracies. That’s it’s true just from the wealthy seek generally to corrupt distributed government to further consolidate their control on the generation of wealth aspect probably doesn’t help.

This persons particular brand of paranoia just doesn’t buy the ‘Trump is god king sent by the baby jeezus (along with reincarnated hero’s from our childhood) to show us the way to Aslans kingdom’ aspect of Qanon but it’s broadly the same thing.

It's adjacent enough that fringe conspiracy theorists could very well claim him as a part of their world narrative.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Just a friendly reminder that no matter what the reason please don't set yourself in fire, or try kill yourself. Reach out to a suicide hotline (741-741) or a friend or a family member or a community or anything.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Madkal posted:

Just a friendly reminder that no matter what the reason please don't set yourself in fire, or try kill yourself. Reach out to a suicide hotline (741-741) or a friend or a family member or a community or anything.

It's really heartbreaking reading his manifesto and him mentioning in passing how he's become isolated from friends and family.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It's adjacent enough that fringe conspiracy theorists could very well claim him as a part of their world narrative.

Or for RWM to label him a radical Soros operative by Monday morning.

I wonder if the Freepers and Infowars are saying he was a crisis actor because, God drat, that's commitment to the loving role right there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I remember fervently hoping that Aaron Bushnell, and now also this guy, died quickly rather than living in what must be the worst physical pain possible. Let us all hope so, for his sake and his family's sake.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mdemone posted:

I remember fervently hoping that Aaron Bushnell, and now also this guy, died quickly rather than living in what must be the worst physical pain possible. Let us all hope so, for his sake and his family's sake.

He’s in narnia. Pharmacy grade ketamine infusion.

I’ve only ever seen one burn patient come in. We stabilized them before flying them to Atlanta. Just awful.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ve only ever seen one burn patient come in. We stabilized them before flying them to Atlanta. Just awful.

It's the lungs isn't it. Breathing flames

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Good

I had hoped that was possible

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Madkal posted:

bushnell is a hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

It's the lungs isn't it. Breathing flames

infection and pain management.

Obviously if they fry the lungs that's less than ideal. But the skin is a barrier against infection, and if that is sloughed off, it's basically an open highway.

If the vascular is damaged enough, you won't be able to get lines in for fluids, pain meds, replacement blood products.

There's tons of arterial damage and you're having to use pressors to keep their MAP up, but this just causes their distal extremities to lose blood flow.

It's just awful.