Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Trump knew his followers were armed.
He knew they were getting stopped at the Mags.
He wanted them to be let in for photographs
He then wanted to lead an armed crowd to the loving Capital building.
He got hugely pissed off because he wasn't allowed to lead this trip.
Did I get this wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
She is a much younger, much better looking John Dean. This is going to break the story wide open for people who might not have paid attention.

A young good looking conservative woman is a fantastic witness.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Never knew her even though my office was 30' from hers!

Thats what happens when you spend all your 'executive' time in your bedroom, watching fox news and eating french fries and catsup.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
While I think the hearing was great, I don't think its going to move the needle all that much. True believers are gonna remain true believers. People who hated Trump are just going to hate him much more. People who don't give a poo poo are gonna continue watching reality TV.

But I think this is what the DoJ was waiting for so they could finally indite that turdburgler. If they don't indite him then we are truly lost as a country.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

On Terra Firma posted:

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is why would the DOJ need to wait for the committee to bring this information forward? Aren't they supposed to be the expert fact finding gumshoes?

Political cover.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they will indite, they kinda have to after all of this,

what i am curious about is would it have been worse or better if trump had led them down the hall toward pence and co with ashlie and poo poo for some magic fake coup. like what happens then espcially if the chuds attack pence.

Then the army gets involved and poo poo really hits the fan.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Thank you. That's been bothering the poo poo out of me.

Yeah yeah, i hosed it up

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

Shall we bet $25 to the Red Cross on his indictment before the end of the summer?

How about 25 to a charity supporting Ukraine, since Trump hosed them over pretty hard.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

You're on!

wait, which side are you on, that he gets indicted or he doesn't get indited?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

He will be indicted.

Ok, if he's not indicted by September 1st then you donate 25 bucks to a Ukrainian charity. If he's indicted any time from now until then I will do the same.

I hope to be paying that 25 bucks soon.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fritz the Horse posted:

Please make sure you're very specific about the conditions of your toxx and I'll edit it into the OP.

edit: looks like $25 to a Ukraine charity if Trump is/isn't indicted by Sept 1?

Put my name against this!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rigel posted:

I assume this includes Georgia too, if the Fulton County DA indicts Trump.

I'd accept any indictment of Trump either in local, state or federal jurisdictions.

If this happens before Sept 1st I will donate 25 bucks to a charity listed in the OP of this thread to support Ukraine since Trump tried to screw that country.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, most people who vote GOP aren't even hearing it or, if they are, are getting watered down versions of it with selective edits accompanied by biased commentary to demonstrate how it's no big deal. If all you listen to and watch is AM radio and FOX News or travel in RW FB circles and poo poo, you're probably not being shown anything incendiary. That's not even counting the MAGA's who legit think it was great and totally justified because the election was stolen.

Again, though, a large percentage of people will never learn this and, even if they do, they won't loving care and will just make up some other poo poo and talk about FAKE NEWS. Like, I STILL hear MAGA's going around talking about how the insurrectionists were "invited in" and never violently forced their way in anywhere because they saw one clip of the Capitol Police falling back at a barricade.

People are making the limo poo poo as the main point when its only really a 2nd hand story she heard. The limo and grabbing the wheel isn't the point, the point is that he knew his followers were armed, he knew they were riled up and he wanted to personally lead an armed mob to the capital to stop the counting of electors.

gently caress the grabbing the wheel bit. Lets not forget the important part of yesterday's story.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hitchinson was in Ornato's office with Engel and heard it 1st-hand from Engel, who was there.

Engel is supposedly disavowing the statement and saying it never happened, because of course he would.

But it doesn't matter. The stuff that is really important is being ignored so people can instead argue the logistics over grabbing a steering wheel.

[edit]I mean conservatives on places like twitter. They don't want to argue that their god-king is a fruitloop who tried to lead an armed mob to the capital. This is much more appealing to them to impeach the credibility of Hitchenson.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Slightly off tanget, but the constitution says the president has the power of pardon except in matters of impeachment.

Does that mean that the president can't pardon people who might be called to testify him in impeachment cases? Because thats a pretty big stick he could wield. "Lie to congress and if you get caught I'll just pardon you."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Cippallone subpeaonaed.

Odds on him actualy showing up and answering any questions? Probably not too good.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Chief White House Counsel. He was in the room for the Clark Rosen standoff and was noted to have been advising people to not even talk to Trump after Jan 06 to avoid being caught up in a sedition charge.

Edit: he’s about the most credible witness there could be. So, if he talks and says something like, “I advised Trump on several occasions that if he went ahead with actions it would be sedition” then we’re moving the indictment timeline up significantly.

c'mon baby, i wanna lose that bet and spend the 25 bucks!

Cippolone was, by all accounts, entirely aware of how loving stupid and short-sighted and completely criminal the 1/6 plans were. I would love to see to what extent he documented stuff to cover his rear end having accurately foreseen how this was going to all implode on Trump. I doubt we'll have to wait long to see.

Jan 6th was part of it, what about his involvement with the fake slate of electors, the pressuring of various state offices, the endless lies about the 'great steal'?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
West Virginia vs EPA out, 6-3 decision.

Yuck

edit: EPA can't regulate carbon Dioxide. Also as I read it, it seems that Chevron deference is dead too. I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong on that part.
edit2: More i read it, the more it looks like they gave Chevron a good punch in the guts, but they didn't pull a knife and rip the guts out.

edit3: Wrong fuckin' thread!

Cimber fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm assuming they have because it was likely Hutchinson that gave them a heads up

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1542681156155580416

Probably also why they rushed her to take the stand, because if she had to go through that intense pressure for a few weeks or months she might have folded.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

and here i am thinking that Texter was the proper name of someone, and i've been googling that for the past x minutes trying to find out what office they held.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

Hm. Not sure what to make of this other than I'd be surprised if they said no to this.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1545435416492249089?s=21&t=TPZMR2xFpAR_jjvF1MuFiA

The part that makes me nervous is the 'broadcast live' portion.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Rigel posted:

She is solely focused only on what might help the prosecution get everyone for every crime they can. Like she's in a courtroom and only has to worry about the court reporters and the bored old local gadflys who decided to spend their time watching court that day.

She is ignoring the political and non-legal damage that could be done in the country by making GBS threads up the 1/6 committee which could then indirectly impact any possible prosecution.

Well, if they keep him on a very short leash, have other witnesses lined up after him and yank him off stage if he even starts to poo poo on everything immediately it might be worthwhile. Then charge him with obstruction of congress and other crimes specifically for that stunt if he does need to get yanked.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Seems like they're getting desperate to find some way to derail the hearings. I can't imagine anyone alive is stupid enough to think bannon wants to help them. Susan Collins maybe, but she's not being allowed anywhere near this.

there is literally zero chance that bannon wants to help the committee

I wonder if he wants to testify because Trump waived executive privilege

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1546139059222941696/photo/1

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol at this supposed serious political commentator posting this delusional tripe from a mad fatso as if it's a real thing that means anything

Oh, its totally meaningless tripe, but i think it serves as a form of coordination between Bannon and Trump. A message for Bannon to go testify, get out of the contemp charge, and do nothing but say 'I plead the 5th' over and over.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Anecdotal but I did notice a whole lot of trump signs/flags come down around that period, doubt that would keep any of these people from voting for him again, though.

At the same time, in my area i saw more trump poo poo around as people doubled down, even a US flag with a gloating trump pointing outwards superimposed flying from a flagpole. That pissed me off something fierce. I don't usually get too wound up about the flag, and while I find the BLM flags to be tacky and disrepectful, to see that gaping rear end in a top hat's face superimposed on the American flag really grinds my rear end.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure how many people listen to cleanup on Aisle 45 or the Daily Beans, but the podcaster AJ today said that she thinks Trump released that BS statement about releasing executive privilege (which isn't a thing) in an attempt to cure Trump's own legal problem of Obstruction of Congress or Obstruction of Justice, if he was previously telling people not to testify.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ha.

Basically they just said "What we know now isn't going to be helped by anything you can provide us at this point. You had your chance, you told us to go gently caress ourselves, so now we get to tell to suck it. Bubye."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Unless the witness is someone close to Trump who can speak to his state of mind idk how either.

Speaking of which, do we know who the witness is yet?

From what I've read, they have not released the witness list yet.

On the 12th of December the Proud Boys had many marches in DC, and vandalized several churches. Bill Barr had resigned as Attorney's general on the 14th. Five days later, Trump made the referrenced tweet, saying "Statistically impossible to have lost the 2020 Election. Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!" Apparently this was a signal to various groups to begin planning? I think thats the case the Jan 6th committee wants to make.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tayter Swift posted:

This is coming after the Cipollone disposition. Maybe he recorded some meetings?

I doubt it. The stuff about the various groups has been in progress for some time, and the public hearings are just for presenting information to the public, not actual fact finding. Anything they got from Cipollone needs to be vetted and reviewed before its released.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Perhaps they have direct communication between someone near Trump and a Proud Boys/Oath Keepers higher up?

I wonder if they got Tarrio or one of his minions to flip? Its easy to be a brave boi on the outside, but 20 years for seditious conspiracy looks a lot more real and serious after you've been spending the last 6-8 months in the klink.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jarmak posted:

My guess would be they have some sort of communication from the militia groups saying some version of "if the president tells us to go, we're ready to stop the count by force", and testimony from someone that Trump knew about it.

"oh no! I never said that, my followers were just misunderstanding me! I never meant that, and no one can prove otherwise!"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guys did any of you expect Cassidy Hutchinson to testify Trump knew there were guns and knives and spears but said take away the loving metal detectors? Did anyone predict he would be flipping his poo poo when told he couldn't go to the Capitol?

Dream bigger!

Being a pessimist is better for my mental health. I'll be happily surprised if something happens, not depressed if it doesn't.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Its a beautiful summer day, I am off of work and I can either go fishing and swimming, or i can sit in my basement and watch congressional hearings.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

By all means, go do the outside poo poo.

You can watch hearing slater.

I could livestream it at my local beach, they have wifi there....

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

By all means, go do the outside poo poo.

You can watch hearing slater.

I was listening to the hearings on the way to the beach on the radio, and I poo poo you not, I almost drove off the road when I heard about that executive order to have Sidney loving Powell seize ballot boxes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm not listening any more, whats this about witness tampering?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I just told my wife, a pretty liberal woman but doesn't pay attention to politics, about the Sidney Powell thing.

She said "Nothing is going to happen, this is all just a waste of time and grandstanding. He's going to get off like he always does."

I...didn't have anything good to answer that with. :/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

XboxPants posted:

Does anyone have the exact quote of that text that basically said "trump's planning a secret coup, here's the deets, don't tell anyone"?

https://twitter.com/lawfareblog/status/1546930106429480960/photo/3

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

gregday posted:

Great instructions to a man who looked directly at an eclipse.

He's like my fuckin' 8 year old kid, who does what I tell him not to do just to piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

pthighs posted:

Putting aside for a moment that Orson Scott Card is a terrible person...

I read Ender's Game in the early aughts, and one of my big impressions was that it bugged me how easily Ender's siblings were able to manipulate public opinion with online propaganda. Surely it couldn't be like that! It seemed like hacky, lazy writing.

But no, it turns out it really is that easy.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gonna paraphrase Raskin real quick.
When asked if the committee knows anything about the calls Mark Meadows made to Flynn and Stone the night beforee J6, he replied only "Our investigation is ongoing. We know more today than we knew during the impeachment trial about these connections and relationships but we hope to know a lot more in a month or two than we do today."
Coming from him, I take that to mean further hearings on TV are most definitely possible after the Sarah Matthews hearing next week.

Also, this is not my original thought, it was posted upthread, but I really want to blare this out in bright red light: So much for "Trump is too well-trained as a mob boss to get caught putting his own thumbprint on anything." Trump himself reached out to a witness after the Cassidy Hutchinson hearing.

I wonder if the person Trump tried to call who we have not heard from yet was Sarah Matthews. There is no way Trump would try to bully young women, right?