Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beastars is incredibly good for about 2/3 of its run and then it introduces someone who is essentially Furry Joker who utterly, utterly ruins the entire series

that 2/3 is REALLY good though. but it definitely falls prey to it being the author's first series, with a lot of things introduced later that lead absolutely nowhere or get dropped literally a chapter later.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i wonder what it's like to be completely devoid of shame
shame is for the weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I stopped going to conventions about a decade ago.

There was the occasional fun panel/event, but I've never been a fan of crowds that big even before the time of covid.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

Beastars is incredibly good for about 2/3 of its run and then it introduces someone who is essentially Furry Joker who utterly, utterly ruins the entire series

that 2/3 is REALLY good though. but it definitely falls prey to it being the author's first series, with a lot of things introduced later that lead absolutely nowhere or get dropped literally a chapter later.

shame is for the weak

Beastars sucks because it promotes the idea that "Big strong man with weak little woman" is the "correct" social dynamic for couples and tries to hide it under a socially progressive message.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jaydenchan321/status/1543531669503676426

https://twitter.com/JaymanjiTTV/status/1543519275662446592

https://twitter.com/nickelpin/status/1542975590801715200

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1543398423394598913

seems like a cool event

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 3, 2022

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

I can smell the person who made this tweet.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I don't know enough about anime to know if this is a pervasive issue among voice actors (though I wouldn't be shocked because the entertainment industry as a whole seems to be a gathering of sexual assailants) but I'm assuming it's a reference to Vic Mignogna who is best known as the voice of Edward Elric on Full Metal Alchemist.

I wish that teenage me had the foresight to save Livejournal posts from the mid-late 00s where people were arguing about Vic and if it was okay for him to hug the teenagers from his personal fan club. When the major accusations came out many years later, an acquaintance claimed that there were absolutely no negative stories about him before that callout, therefore it had to be fabricated by SJWs who wanted to slander an innocent white man. She very specifically said that both Vic and herself were being victimized for being white.

The fact that this acquaintance wasn't told to get the gently caress out of the very small fandom we were in for this or for the time she drew a character in Nazi uniform was a primary reason I cut that community out of my life. (The other reason being that I, a queer woman, was called a lesbophobe for daring to suggest maybe the series author shouldn't have said his 1000-year-old forest sprite looked like and pretended to be a human teenager even though most of her love interests were adults. so lmao)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I caught up on this thread and have a few notes to mention.

lol
What the gently caress?
Yikes
Try therapy

I'll leave it to y'all to decide what fits where. Jesus Christ this thread is bad.

Also I think Sid is the only person in an anime face outfit that I've seen smile. Probably because (to my knowledge) he isn't actually invested in it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Cons need a hygiene detector. You smell, you're booted out. That distinct con funk is why I stopped going to them in general and I usually go to ones in winter or spring. Can't imagine what it smells like in summer in the south.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

the thing i don't get about cons is to the extent i dive into all this very nerdy stuff, it's total escapism. i'm not ashamed of it exactly but it isn't something i want to wear as a badge of identity either.

i went to an akira yamaoka live show of the silent hill music once and he had the vocalist on who was really corny, the crowd was a bunch of people who looked and acted like they'd just stumbled out of their bedrooms, and it basically ruined the atmosphere of the music i had in my head because whenever i heard it for a long while, i just thought of that kind of lame show with a bad crowd. i left halfway through.

plus how much of a grift these sorts of things are - i know it's all exploitation of our need to run away, but i can ignore that when i'm at home. i don't want to go to a place where all the things i used to relax are being aggressively merchandised and shoved in my face. although most of those things aren't anime related, i'm talking about the whole phenomenon of entertainment cons in general. i already got what i wanted by watching the show, i don't need to meet an actor or buy a t-shirt, and the risk of it being ruined is too high anyway.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 3, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just like wearing elaborate costumes. Ballgowns are fun.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

STABASS posted:

literal anime gatekeepers are on notice... let it be known that nothing will stand in the way of me purchasing 30 different big tit (oppai) mousepads

How many times will you jack it to the fat titties on one mousepad before swapping it out for another? (Asking for a friend.)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they want to have sex with the cartoon

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I sometimes get mail delivered to my house for a guy with the same house number and street name as mine but it’s Place instead of Road. I’ve never met him but he lives a block away and I bring him his mail. I had a chuckle last week when I got an envelope from Anime Expo addressed to him that was clearly his convention badge. Now I’m thinking I would have been doing him a favor if I threw it in the trash.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Enjoy your anime you guys! :buddy:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This event looks like poo poo

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This event looks like poo poo

And smells like it too!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Buglord reported live on scene basically saying it's pretty much just normal people having fun and posters itt still just trashing anime enjoyers. smh over here. I hope you can learn to let love into your hearts!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

P&S was made by people who stated they wanted to capture the Western animation humor zeitgeist e.g. Ren and Stimpy, Invader Zim and Drawn Together. I think it's more than a little depressing, though, that they essentially satirized the stupid "fanservice" of shows like Kill La Kill three years before making Kill La Kill. Any criticism levelled at anime's level of perversion can be so easily levelled at Hollywood anyway.

I went to one convention fifteen years ago with a group and that kinda soured me on the whole experience. I like building gunpla and some of Bamco's most interesting stuff only shows up outside of Japan at places like this or through their FOMO money printer P-Bandai. Still would rather go to Japan with the GF and do the tourist thing and pick up some kits on the side.

People booked tickets before Japan's travel restrictions were lifted, probably part of why these are so popular lately

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

I sometimes get mail delivered to my house for a guy with the same house number and street name as mine but it’s Place instead of Road. I’ve never met him but he lives a block away and I bring him his mail. I had a chuckle last week when I got an envelope from Anime Expo addressed to him that was clearly his convention badge. Now I’m thinking I would have been doing him a favor if I threw it in the trash.

Just making some extremely normal casual jokes about knowingly tampering with mail in the anime expo thread. Just throwing away my neighbor's $500 weekend pass, for a gag.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I didn’t do it, ya ding dong. Nor would I. That’s the “casual joke”.
I bring that dude his mail all the time because I’m not actually an rear end in a top hat.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ralph Hurley posted:

I didn’t do it, ya ding dong. Nor would I. That’s the “casual joke”.
I bring that dude his mail all the time because I’m not actually an rear end in a top hat.

You will be put to death

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You will be put to death

Yes. Send him to the expo immediately

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party posted:

I hope you can learn to let love into your hearts!

It's the anime fans who need to learn to let love into their hearts considering how hateful a lot of anime is.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

literally shaking, not at the thought of someone tampering with mail, but just them joking about it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's the anime fans who need to learn to let love into their hearts considering how hateful a lot of anime is.

Yeah, its the only media that has violence and bigotry in it

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, its the only media that has violence and bigotry in it

A lot of media has violence and bigotry in it, that's why nerds who are obsessed with media tend to be little jackboots.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yaldabaoth posted:

A lot of media has violence and bigotry in it, that's why nerds who are obsessed with media tend to be little jackboots.

So you're saying you're obsessed with anime

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The gay sex technique taught by anime

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Garfield Manga

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

numberoneposter posted:

Garfield Manga

Ultima Garfield: Retribution of Exogenesis

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anime fan Yaldabaoth

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The gay sex technique taught by anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
panty and stocking season 2, which I thought would literally never happen due to gainax pulling criminal bullshit to steal the rights to it and other properties, that's very cool

Kson and her Good Friend are joining Vshojo, that's also very cool

Trigun is getting a reboot but despite being animated by the Beastars and Land of the Lustrous people, it does not look amazing, which is not very cool

anything else of note

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The con continues to be managed by idiots

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Meme Poker Party posted:

Buglord reported live on scene basically saying it's pretty much just normal people having fun and posters itt still just trashing anime enjoyers. smh over here. I hope you can learn to let love into your hearts!

"normal"

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I posted this and some girl acquaintance of mine got triggered and said "tell me you don't watch anime without telling me you don't watch anime"

Are they really not that self aware of the content of this genre? Like, I'm sure this chick has watched 10x as many anime as I have, and I know from my limited exposure that it's cartoons for perverts. The amount of times I've had to stop watching an anime because it was too weirdly perverted is very high.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 days!)

Jelly posted:

I posted this and some girl acquaintance of mine got triggered and said "tell me you don't watch anime without telling me you don't watch anime"

knowing nothing else about her, this is a deadhead response. she is in love with anime above all else, and copies phrases from the internet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Loves anime and internet brain poisoned? Tell her to PM me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

roomtone posted:

knowing nothing else about her, this is a deadhead response. she is in love with anime above all else, and copies phrases from the internet.
I'm glad I only get that salty when someone insults something like Clone Wars. I'm thankful anime isn't my hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

We asked the accredited guests of the pervert convention how they would describe their fellow attendees, these are the results