Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Redezga posted:

I heard Lorcana is planning to have similar large tournaments running BO2

What the hell is Bof2?

Edit: Standing by this threadsnipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Highest total Lore after 2 games?

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

What the hell is Bof2?

Edit: Standing by this threadsnipe.

Bofa DEEZ GAMES

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's like bo3 but you never actually play the third game. If you split the first two games 1-1 then the match is just a draw. (So yes, there'll be a lot of draws. You need to be able to "break serve" if you want to actually get match wins.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

It's like bo3 but you never actually play the third game. If you split the first two games 1-1 then the match is just a draw. (So yes, there'll be a lot of draws. You need to be able to "break serve" if you want to actually get match wins.)

That sounds annoying as hell to play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So the winner of the first game just plays slower the second and no one is happy?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
that sounds awful, though someone on Discord is saying you get a point for each game won, so if it's 1-1 both players get a point, which maybe comes to about the same thing or is at best marginally better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can think of three possibilities.

1. Lorcana games take a while.
2. They don't trust their target audience to have the attention span to sit and play BO3 matches.
3. They don't think families want to spend an entire day playing in a tournament, so this gets them in and out faster.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I honestly didnt think i could dislike lorcana more. Its such a nothing game and then they pull poo poo like this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeLynx posted:

I can think of three possibilities.

1. Lorcana games take a while.
2. They don't trust their target audience to have the attention span to sit and play BO3 matches.
3. They don't think families want to spend an entire day playing in a tournament, so this gets them in and out faster.

it seems a bit silly for lorcana (i think the motivation is to minimize how much the coin flip at the start decides matches), but honestly i think it's a format that would make a lot of sense for asymmetric games like netrunner.

worth noting that if you go 1-0 (and the second game goes to time) you get 1 point, not the 3 you'd get for a win, so slow-playing the second game of the match is not in anyone's best interest.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
flesh and blood is a bo1 game, and it's fairly successful. local scene seems to be pivoting to star wars unlimited, which i get--it's a fantastic game

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
L5R CCG was best of 1, L5R LCG was best of 1, Netrunner was Bo2, one game as Runner, one as Corp which was rough in tournaments. There are tons of Bo1 games that were successful as tournament games.

Funny story, at their second Gencon tournament, Runner was heavily favoured in the format, so we gamed it out that the best strat was win as Runner as slow as was safe to give your opponent as few VPs as possible in the second game. Organised play rules didn't cover conceding a game rather than the whole match, so we asked. Their initial response was that you were not allowed to concede a game, which we pointed out was unworkable, so they modified it to you could concede a game, but if you did you also conceded the match and dropped from the tournament.

I don't think they ever did a two headed oni format where a team of a runner and a corp played Bo1 against another team which seemed like madness to me.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Decipher’s Star Wars CCG was Bo1, which was rough because Dark Side was significantly stronger than Light Side. Tournaments were Swiss so if your first round was light side and you lost it was an uphill battle to the cutoff.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
L5R games are long, so I can see why that's BO1. That game, like VTES, has so many ebbs and flows within one game that it's not usually that one bad draw or one bad play is going to blow up your whole poo poo. It works fine as BO1 as long as there's enough rounds.

VTES tournaments were brutal. I loved them, but you had to pencil in a minimum of eight hours. We ran them once per month, and everyone that I knew that played in them regularly was either a college student or a childless adult. We usually had 10-20 people at these tournaments throughout the 2000's. Though, I cannot imagine regularly attending tournaments now that I'm 41 and have a wife and two kids. I would be lucky to carve out the time once a year for such a thing. Even if I did, the thought of playing the same game for eight hours, even if it's one of my favorites, is nuts to me now. The time is so much more precious these days.

Anyway, There were three prelim rounds, and a final table taken from the top five players from the prelim rounds. The prelims and final table were all capped at a two hour time limit, so if you make the final table you're looking at eight hours, not including a dinner break. Sometimes you could shave off some time by a prelim round ending ~30 minutes early, but then you'd need all of that round's tables to end similarly in order to start the next round. So basically, you were in for two hours per round. It also helped that your results from prelim rounds that you didn't win outright weren't wasted time; game wins were the first factor for getting to the final table, but after that was Victory Points, which you could have picked up at prelim rounds you didn't necessarily win. So losing never felt completely crushing (unless you were the first to be ousted).

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
got some hidden hope boosters today, the ffxi cards with the jaggy ps2 graphics are so sick

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

John Romero posted:

got some hidden hope boosters today, the ffxi cards with the jaggy ps2 graphics are so sick

hell yeah buddy. it rules that this

is one of the biggest assbeaters in the game

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Tonfa posted:

hell yeah buddy. it rules that this

is one of the biggest assbeaters in the game

God:drat: that is a good card. Just call his rear end Beetlejuice because when the wall of text says his ridiculous name three times, poo poo's about to go down.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Whenever this card deals damage to an opponent and they have no cards to destroy or freeze it, they are allowed to start googling counter-strategies at the table, if they can still read through their tears."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
glad to see ff11 owning, as usual

it's the better ff mmo come the gently caress at me

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

mikeycp posted:

glad to see ff11 owning, as usual

it's the better ff mmo come the gently caress at me

There's this huge bomb I have that is an all-color backup and exiles all forwards on ETB. (Exiling effects are arguably even more important in FFTCG than in MTG because of the relative ubiquity of discard synergies.) It's some adorable critter from FFXI and I have no idea what their deal is because I don't play MMOs. But from context clues alone the thing must be satanic.

History's greatest monster.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Railing Kill posted:

There's this huge bomb I have that is an all-color backup and exiles all forwards on ETB. (Exiling effects are arguably even more important in FFTCG than in MTG because of the relative ubiquity of discard synergies.) It's some adorable critter from FFXI and I have no idea what their deal is because I don't play MMOs. But from context clues alone the thing must be satanic.

The great Rujadont

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Shantotto is a real fucker it's true

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Railing Kill posted:

She's the amoral 'all according to keikaku' character of final fantasy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So I've been doing a dive into CCGs of yesteryear, as well as trying to take a look at some more recent stuff from Japan, over the past year. Specifically trying was trying to target some of the games that I never checked out, but was interested in 25 years ago. So far I've hit:

Old games that were new to me:

Star trek 1e &2e
Warlord
WWE Raw Deal
Middle Earth
Star Wars TCG
WARS
Tekken 5
DBZ(using decks from the FanZ era)

Newer games:
Spoils
Force of Will
Shadowverse Evolve
Rebirth for You
Sorcery
SolForge
F&B
SWU

Stuff I have played before:
MTG
L5R CCG/LCG
Star Wars CCG/LCG
Spycraft
VS
Doomtown CCG/ECG
Netrunner CCG/LCG
Warhammer Invasion LCG
Conquest LCG
Mage Wars
A Game of Thrones LCG 2e
Shadowfist
Summoner Wars
Ashes
Star Wars Destiny
Lord of the Rings LCG
Arkham LCG
Marvel Champions LCG
Keyforge

---

I have a whole load of 7th Sea starters to try out but haven't for whatever reason yet. I grabbed some up some Star Wars Unlimited and it felt kind of shallow, but we're going to proxy the meta decks and give it another shot. But this might end up on the F&B pile of things that just didn't click but are popular. I also have two of those One Piece 'Three Captains' decks to play as well and see how that game is.

So far the DBZ game has been the one that my friend liked the most, but the Middle Earth game was quite interesting and deep; I just wish I actually gave a gently caress about the setting.

Love to hear some suggestions on what else to try that actually has good/interesting mechanics.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 24, 2024

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spoils is one of those games I remember popping up, being pushed and talked about, and then was completely DOA. I don't think it was talked about in this thread but I would love to hear about it. It in retrospect seemed similar to the pump and dump CCG's of today but without Kickstarter to get "investment" money from rubes.

I was watching a YouTube video talking about the My Little Pony TCG and what happened. I remember when it released at Gencon and people were going crazy about it, which I thought was odd since it wasn't a WotC game and My Little Pony seemed like it was over. After it released, I didn't hear much and then nothing at all. Apparently it died because the creator over printed under the belief they could sell the game in China, where I guess My Little Pony has a following, and he found out after the fact he could not. They essentially saddled themselves with so much product and debt that they were hobbled from the start and then went to the proverbial glue factory after running on fumes for a while. It got so bad at the end that they could afford to fully foil cards and just did frames or didn't even foil them at all. Ironically, the second hand market got an upswing from Covid and is mostly driven by China. So I guess if you bought into that, sell now.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

7th sea and Deadlands should be played by anyone who wants to make a CCG/LCG. That space just isn’t developed enough and I think there’s a lot more potential.

The Bandai games, especially FFTCG and One Piece seem to go a bit further in on that idea but it’s not an essential part of the game, just weird additional ways of making the deck.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PuttyKnife posted:

7th sea and Deadlands should be played by anyone who wants to make a CCG/LCG. That space just isn’t developed enough and I think there’s a lot more potential.

Can you expound on this? I've played Deadlands and read up on 7th Sea, but what specifically are you thinking is space that needs to be developed? The move the dude around on the map part?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Can you expound on this? I've played Deadlands and read up on 7th Sea, but what specifically are you thinking is space that needs to be developed? The move the dude around on the map part?

So like in 7th sea you can build a deck that is loaded with those icons on the lower left that boost ship canons. Or you can be hella punchy, slashy.

Not all your cards with those icons will be great so you have limited building potential of combos but then rely on the boarding action icons or just straight nuking other ships with a small crew.

In FFTCG they have summons which will be used if you take a hit and that card is turned over. And deadlands you have alternate uses of cards for poker.

I really like this sort of tension with card games. Sure my card is good but it’s also the only card I have for a boarding action or poker hand that I know will get through my opponent.

It’s like Magic’s color system but distributed across cards rather than used as a way to focus style of play by setting expectations (red = damage or swarms, green = critters, white = protection, etc.).

It forces all the archetypes from Magic to think differently.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

7th Sea has a bunch of design beats worth exploring:

Captains let you tutor up a starting crew, so you get that Commander-like flavor of being able to build a deck with a strategy counting on certain crew and not leaving that to chance. Getting more and better crew is up to chance during the game, but you at least have some consistency to build decks around.

As PuttyKnife said, boarding actions ask you to spend cards in hand for their melee uses instead of the rest of their text, be they crew, adventures, actions, etc. Like the FFTCG, this asks players to make strategic choices not just in getting cards into hand, but using each of them at least a couple different ways, and to assess value on two very different levels.

There's also multiple ways to get the job done. (The job being "kill the opponent's captain.") You can uses cannons or boardings, or use alt-win cons that involve collection. It's like if MTG had one extra option besides combat to deal damage with your creatures (besides direct damage effects).

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Another thing I have enjoyed though it’s never been done well is: https://www.trollandtoad.com/other-ccgs/spellfire-dragonlance-singles/time-shift-night-into-day/127922

Tournaments happening around the time of day, moon phases waxing and waning. There’s something there but it’s so niche as to be stupid.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Precedence had couple of great games.

Babylon 5 ccg (works best with 4-5 players. Really bad as duel)
Wheel of Time (2 player)

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Not answering your question, rather honing in on my current special interest lol: what was your impression of Sorcery? Did you try out the precons, or meta lists, or what? I’ve been mostly in discourse with people who are already excited about it, curious how it seemed to you as someone with a huge breadth of TCG experience.

I’ve been playing Air/Earth Sorcerer midrange at my locals each week - it’s probably not quite as good as the tier 1 Fire/Earth Sorcerer that exploits Slumbering Giantess, but I really dig the playstyle. Swooping things around the map with Grapple Hook/Pudge Butcher is super fun and satisfying. (Grapple Hook +) Grim Reaper can be occasionally a total blowout, if opponent has 2 or 3 of the same minion out. The general flavor of Air cards is by far my favorite of the four elements.

List: https://curiosa.io/decks/clczbmbxg00ekv5ugiyvd1ay8

I just ordered a few cards and am gonna try sleeving up this Deathspeaker Spirits list next. I love the flavor and how it differs from the stock, ultra-grind Deathspeaker lists. Plus it took 1st place at a tournament this month. It also runs the card Ultimate Horror, which has my favorite art out of all of Alpha/Beta.

List: https://curiosa.io/decks/clthj6qke007uj3y838mocdhu

Someone at my LGS who organized our recent huge March tournament was able to playtest the upcoming (Q4) set, Arthurian Legends. He is bound by NDA from discussing it at all, but very interestingly he immediately started brewing Water/X lists. Water is currently super off-meta and considered the weakest element. Getting a strong vibe that that’s gonna change.

Yearly set releases are so great for me & my limited budget. I actually have time to slowly fill out a complete playset of every card, which is something I always fantasized about with Magic but was never close to affording. Decks being restricted to 2 copies of a given ‘rare’, 1 of a given ‘mythic’, also helps tremendously in this regard.

It’s a bummer that prices have shot up recently due to Beta selling out, though. I’m lucky to have picked up my Power Five (Philosopher’s Stone + the four elemental Cores) before that. Power Five cards doesn’t fit into *every* deck but some combo of them fit into most and my god does the mana ramp/threshold boost/mana discount make a huge difference.

:words:

Flutch fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I got wind of some Sorcery stock being available at a store an hour away which I'm tempted to grab just because I really like the yearly release thing. Wish I'd known about it being a thing earlier though because it really is a strong selling point in a pretty saturated market the moment. Especially with the release schedule for stuff like Magic and most Bandai games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Flutch posted:

Not answering your question, rather honing in on my current special interest lol: what was your impression of Sorcery? Did you try out the precons, or meta lists, or what? I’ve been mostly in discourse with people who are already excited about it, curious how it seemed to you as someone with a huge breadth of TCG experience.

I’ve been playing Air/Earth Sorcerer midrange at my locals each week - it’s probably not quite as good as the tier 1 Fire/Earth Sorcerer that exploits Slumbering Giantess, but I really dig the playstyle. Swooping things around the map with Grapple Hook/Pudge Butcher is super fun and satisfying. (Grapple Hook +) Grim Reaper can be occasionally a total blowout, if opponent has 2 or 3 of the same minion out. The general flavor of Air cards is by far my favorite of the four elements.

List: https://curiosa.io/decks/clczbmbxg00ekv5ugiyvd1ay8

I just ordered a few cards and am gonna try sleeving up this Deathspeaker Spirits list next. I love the flavor and how it differs from the stock, ultra-grind Deathspeaker lists. Plus it took 1st place at a tournament this month. It also runs the card Ultimate Horror, which has my favorite art out of all of Alpha/Beta.

List: https://curiosa.io/decks/clthj6qke007uj3y838mocdhu

Someone at my LGS who organized our recent huge March tournament was able to playtest the upcoming (Q4) set, Arthurian Legends. He is bound by NDA from discussing it at all, but very interestingly he immediately started brewing Water/X lists. Water is currently super off-meta and considered the weakest element. Getting a strong vibe that that’s gonna change.

Yearly set releases are so great for me & my limited budget. I actually have time to slowly fill out a complete playset of every card, which is something I always fantasized about with Magic but was never close to affording. Decks being restricted to 2 copies of a given ‘rare’, 1 of a given ‘mythic’, also helps tremendously in this regard.

It’s a bummer that prices have shot up recently due to Beta selling out, though. I’m lucky to have picked up my Power Five (Philosopher’s Stone + the four elemental Cores) before that. Power Five cards doesn’t fit into *every* deck but some combo of them fit into most and my god does the mana ramp/threshold boost/mana discount make a huge difference.

:words:

Yeah, so Sorcery was a big whiff. We got the Starter Box which people(Team Covenant and others) had said contained some decks that were pretty good at giving you a good idea of what the game was about, unfortunately they failed so very hard on the rulebook. We had multiple questions, and issues with understanding the mechanics and eventually had to go online and watch some videos just to understand where you could deploy creatures and lands and what it meant to "control something". Anyway, it left a sour taste in our mouths. Then we come to actually wanting to pick up more of it...and it's gone.

The whole Sorcery thing is emblematic of the problem in the industry of wanting to bait investors with "cold foils" and "limited print runs" and none of it is centered around the game itself. So if there's actually a good game there, who the gently caress knows because you can't buy it anywhere, the best decks cost hundreds of dollars, and any discussion is immediately going to involve pulling power cards and the value of your cardboard. Even in your post here, you couldn't help but to brag that you got your "power five" and I'm not knocking you personally; it's just how every discourse of the game goes. Flesh and Blood is the same way, Metazoo was the same way, SWU is the same way. People say these games are good but I don't see people playing them as much as I see people showing them off and that's a big turn off to me.

So here's Sorcery with a somewhat interesting if still MTG-generic take on a psuedo-miniatures card game, that has fantastic art(you really can't say enough good stuff about the art in this game), but then has a rulebook that barely explains the game, third parties trying to sell you boxes for hundreds over the MSRP, and complete lack of discussion about the game itself(seriously go look at the Reddit and count how many posts are about the game itself, there's not even a subreddit for deckbuilding).

If getting into the game had been smoother then I'd probably have more energy to at least go proxy some lists and try out some more advanced decks. As it was though, I learned the rules easier watching a game from the official YouTube than from actually playing the game and to be honest it didn't really look like the game was very much fun from watching the video of a random matchup.

I'm having these same issues with SWU at the moment as well. I did manage to get a box of boosters of that so I'd have enough commons to proxy over to make 4-6 meta decks, but I was hoping that Rudy from Alpha Investments telling people they were printing the gently caress out of the game, and it coming out in March, would lead to a situation where I could get more at MSRP but nope, box prices have doubled and FFG is telling people that they're going to dribble out the stock and holy gently caress you better preorder a bunch of the next expansion that's already coming out in June because...ahh gently caress this poo poo, anyone want to buy the full art Luke I opened? Maybe the real game now is just trying to make a big profit on your hits and trying to avoid scammers; everyone plays on TTS now anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Issaries posted:

Precedence had couple of great games.

Babylon 5 ccg (works best with 4-5 players. Really bad as duel)
Wheel of Time (2 player)

Yeah, B5 has the same problem as VTES in 2 players.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Yes, swu is a fun game, to be honest. I got in before launch and got some boxes the day it came out, and my family has had a lot of fun with it, and my local community is great.

The online community has ruined it for me. It's all about prices and showcases and poo poo. There's some discussion about decks and poo poo but it has dropped way off in the past few weeks. It's at the point that im considering cashing out and just playing something else.

Things were good starting out, actual desk and game discussions. Now, it's all prices and the same basic rules questions over and over. I love tcgs, but this is too much.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

A few friends of mine and I really miss old L5R and are planning on grabbing a few of the EE starters. Does anyone know if those are decently balanced against each other or if there are any glaring flaws in any of them? I like the idea of those cool boxes and just having self-contained decks.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

A few friends of mine and I really miss old L5R and are planning on grabbing a few of the EE starters. Does anyone know if those are decently balanced against each other or if there are any glaring flaws in any of them? I like the idea of those cool boxes and just having self-contained decks.

EE starters are great because of the cool boxes. I used those all through the LCG because they were so drat great. I hated that they went back to those stupid tins.

The EE starters are also the best balanced of the starter products they ever put out too. Obviously with a limited card pool Enlightenment and Dishonor are off the table. You can also get the 20F stuff pretty cheap, and I think the decks were better designed but that made them a bit imbalanced to just throw at people. Like if you were going to have a starting point that you wanted to build off, I'd go with the EE stuff because it gives you a lot of directions, if you wanted something to just pick up and play with experienced players; then go 20F.

If you're playing with multiple friends though I'd recommend grabbing War of Honor and just playing some multiplayer games. You can even use those decks in 1v1 although I recall the Phoenix one was the best. Of course, whoever the Crane jackass in your group is will object to this because there is no Crane in War of Honor, but I always thought of that as a perk.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 24, 2024

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Elblanco posted:

The online community has ruined it for me. It's all about prices and showcases and poo poo. There's some discussion about decks and poo poo but it has dropped way off in the past few weeks. It's at the point that im considering cashing out and just playing something else.

Are you equating "online community" and "reddit"? I spend almost all day every day talking deck building and metas and weird jank online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

PaybackJack posted:

EE starters are great because of the cool boxes. I used those all through the LCG because they were so drat great. I hated that they went back to those stupid tins.

The EE starters are also the best balanced of the starter products they ever put out too. Obviously with a limited card pool Enlightenment and Dishonor are off the table. You can also get the 20F stuff pretty cheap, and I think the decks were better designed but that made them a bit imbalanced to just throw at people. Like if you were going to have a starting point that you wanted to build off, I'd go with the EE stuff because it gives you a lot of directions, if you wanted something to just pick up and play with experienced players; then go 20F.

If you're playing with multiple friends though I'd recommend grabbing War of Honor and just playing some multiplayer games. You can even use those decks in 1v1 although I recall the Phoenix one was the best. Of course, whoever the Crane jackass in your group is will object to this because there is no Crane in War of Honor, but I always thought of that as a perk.

It's me, I am the Crane jackass.

For real though, thanks a lot for all that! Hill's has all of those EE and EE Gempukku starters for super cheap so I'm gonna get a bunch of them (I have a couple already and one friend has 1) so we'll have a decent selection for 3-4 player games. I loving loved that era of the game so much and was sad to see it go. Are there any rumors of anyone else ever picking this up?