Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've had a really good time with SWU up to this point by kind of deliberately avoiding larger community stuff and sticking to friends and the local store that's done their best to support it. That type of thing was absolutely what hampered enjoyment of Flesh and Blood for me; Rooms full of grown rear end adults bragging about how this slip of cardboard is worth fifty bucks, this one a couple hundred, they totally had a bunch of those alt art promos that they wish they held onto cause they spiked in value, or this playmat is totally worth like two hundred dollars. It was incessant, and a lot of times was combined with everyone wanting to be essentially a content creator. Everyone wanted to start a youtube channel, a twitch stream, or a podcast to just somehow be a "name" by virtue of being there first.

I think Unlimited has at least done the right thing from the jump by making the showcase leaders the huge ridiculously rare lottery ticket cards. They went with what everyone has said for years in that big money cards should be alternative treatments of what are otherwise effectively free to obtain cards ala MtG basic lands. The price of the big legendaries like Luke, Vader, and Boba feel way more like the unforseen product shortage versus falsely inflated rarity so to speak. I really intend to continue to avoid a lot of that online discourse and keep things local until the bigger events begin rolling out next year. At that point it will be difficult to not engage with. My point though is it's overall an understandable and very real detriment to anything new that's collectible. The past history of the big names can't be forgotten, and everyone wants to lock in their perceived version of the power 9 or 1st edition charizard. I've come to terms with just kind of needing to put blinders on if the goal is simply enjoying the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Prices in SWU are crazy now but they'll go down once the other sets come out and the second print run goes through. It's also a genuinely popular game because they went through 6 months of stock in 3 weeks and sold more in that time than SW Destiny did in a year, which also sold out soon after release. Even with one set, the meta is actually pretty diverse despite the 3 bombs of Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Luke Skywalker. I play several times a week at two of my FLGS and played at the largest tournament so far, the Kissimmee $5k, and everyone there was chill and most interested in gameplay and their favorite characters coming in. A number of people have gotten showcases, I suspect they aren't as rare as they claimed they were, but nobody is going MtGFinance locally that I've encountered. People are playing with their showcases too and not sending them off to be graded, which is nice since slabs are a cancer on every hobby they come into. There's a store that does box breaks and is a collector focused store so they might be there. Otherwise it's been pretty healthy and nice. I might be in an anomaly area due to the number of stores and some of the local players being people influencing the global meta of the game.

I imagine one of the reasons the second print run is in Q4 this year instead of June is because Embracer saddled Asmodee with a lot of debt with the recent cast off. All those people are going to be pissed because prices will drop and it's not going to be a FAB situation because it's very apparent the creators want a rarity scheme more akin to Pokemon than FAB with its ridiculously expensive equipment. I've seen very little evidence they care about secondary market to make the game exclusive like FAB and they will probably do more than the second print run too since the demand is there. It's more of a Lorcana situation but less caused by incompetence and more by caution I think since Destiny is seen as such a flop.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

EdsTeioh posted:

It's me, I am the Crane jackass.

For real though, thanks a lot for all that! Hill's has all of those EE and EE Gempukku starters for super cheap so I'm gonna get a bunch of them (I have a couple already and one friend has 1) so we'll have a decent selection for 3-4 player games. I loving loved that era of the game so much and was sad to see it go. Are there any rumors of anyone else ever picking this up?

If you're really hard up you could try the "Onyx Edition" which is a fan made continuation of the CCG (There's also Emerald Legacy for the LCG). I have no idea how good it is, but it does use AI art(not sure if the LCG fan project does as well but some of the art they have used is such a turn off that I'd rather they did) which is a big turn off for some people.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I imagine one of the reasons the second print run is in Q4 this year instead of June is because Embracer saddled Asmodee with a lot of debt with the recent cast off. All those people are going to be pissed because prices will drop and it's not going to be a FAB situation because it's very apparent the creators want a rarity scheme more akin to Pokemon than FAB with its ridiculously expensive equipment. I've seen very little evidence they care about secondary market to make the game exclusive like FAB and they will probably do more than the second print run too since the demand is there. It's more of a Lorcana situation but less caused by incompetence and more by caution I think since Destiny is seen as such a flop.

I don't really follow Flesh and Blood after we bounced off the blitz decks but I thought they were planning to reprint popular equipment in later sets but without the foil chance or something in order to help keep the prices down. Did the community(collectors) get all up in arms because their non-foiled Spring Tunics were going to drop in price?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

I don't really follow Flesh and Blood after we bounced off the blitz decks but I thought they were planning to reprint popular equipment in later sets but without the foil chance or something in order to help keep the prices down. Did the community(collectors) get all up in arms because their non-foiled Spring Tunics were going to drop in price?

They reprinted some of the main equipment, but it dropped them from $100+ to around $70 for those treatments. Might be able to get them for less, but that is still a lot of money to spend on cardboard. The stones, the one use gems, have not been reprinted and are still several hundred dollars a piece. They also haven't really reprinted some expensive character specific ones. There are tournament winning builds that are $400 or so now, but most are still around $1k.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
FaB is insanely gross with that stuff

Even puts wizards to shame

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm curious to try Star Wars Unlimited, though my taste for Star Wars has diminished thanks to all the crap they've put out.

mikeycp posted:

FaB is insanely gross with that stuff

Even puts wizards to shame

Not really, but they sort of deserve the reputation for being that bad in the beginning. They've done away with "first printing" boxes of new sets and have reprint slots in packs. The main Discord is all about deckbuilding and strategy, not sick pulls and bragging.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They reprinted some of the main equipment, but it dropped them from $100+ to around $70 for those treatments. Might be able to get them for less, but that is still a lot of money to spend on cardboard. The stones, the one use gems, have not been reprinted and are still several hundred dollars a piece. They also haven't really reprinted some expensive character specific ones. There are tournament winning builds that are $400 or so now, but most are still around $1k.

It's a lot of money to spend on cardboard, but when you buy a Fyendal's Spring Tunic or Crown of Providence, you'll use it in every deck, and you only need one of them ever. The only egregious card right now is Command and Conquer, an $80 card you need three of for Classic Constructed. They're generic, so they go in almost every deck, and are in dire need of a reprint. There's only one deck that plays that stupid $300 Eye of Ophidia, and at the LGS level it can be replaced with literally any bulk blue card. There are budget options for everything, even Command and Conquer.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LifeLynx posted:

Not really, but they sort of deserve the reputation for being that bad in the beginning. They've done away with "first printing" boxes of new sets and have reprint slots in packs. The main Discord is all about deckbuilding and strategy, not sick pulls and bragging.

Oh that's good. I stopped following them pretty early because of the grossness and also not liking the art style. All I saw past that was the cool paper booster wrappers

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

FaB definitely made a positive course correction by fairly quickly realizing their scheme of extremely limited 1st edition print runs that had the cold foils and alt arts that were also released like a month before the unlimited boxes of the set were a bad thing for long term health. They seemed to acknowledge they had a solid game on their hands and that throwing their lot in with the alpha investment types wasn't the best.

At this point FaB feels like it suffers the most from having more isolated pockets of players. It's just a game store by game store basis thing, and the crowd that's in it is overall extremely competitive so if you aren't grinding you're out of luck. If you can't regularly get to a local store for events to keep up with the meta you get left in the dust, but that's also gonna be an unfortunate reality with any alternative card games to varying degrees.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Gumdrop Larry posted:

FaB definitely made a positive course correction by fairly quickly realizing their scheme of extremely limited 1st edition print runs that had the cold foils and alt arts that were also released like a month before the unlimited boxes of the set were a bad thing for long term health. They seemed to acknowledge they had a solid game on their hands and that throwing their lot in with the alpha investment types wasn't the best.

At this point FaB feels like it suffers the most from having more isolated pockets of players. It's just a game store by game store basis thing, and the crowd that's in it is overall extremely competitive so if you aren't grinding you're out of luck. If you can't regularly get to a local store for events to keep up with the meta you get left in the dust, but that's also gonna be an unfortunate reality with any alternative card games to varying degrees.

Agreed, completely. FaB seems so good but it's hard to find an on-ramp if you're curious and new and looking for fun.

I think that's something smart that SWU did - launching with a Commander-style format and making the game with limited in mind (ignoring supply issues) makes the game much easier to get into. I'm going to a SWU draft tomorrow night and I know some of the people going have barely learned to play, but they've played enough draft in other games to know what they're getting into.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm lucky that I have one of those good pockets of players. Like I just started playing and someone I barely knew let me borrow some of the good equipment for a tournament. Everyone gets together and gives anyone the bulk they need, they travel together to big events, that sort of group. Sad to say that any card game that's not Magic, Pokemon, or YuGiOh is going to have that same problem with isolated groups that may or may not be within driving distance. Hell that goes for miniatures games that aren't Warhammer 40k, roleplaying games that aren't D&D, etc.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

EdsTeioh posted:

It's me, I am the Crane jackass.

For real though, thanks a lot for all that! Hill's has all of those EE and EE Gempukku starters for super cheap so I'm gonna get a bunch of them (I have a couple already and one friend has 1) so we'll have a decent selection for 3-4 player games. I loving loved that era of the game so much and was sad to see it go. Are there any rumors of anyone else ever picking this up?

Asmodee have the entire L5R IP and have been licensing it out to people who want to put out some merch or put a veneer on a boardgame. The L5R CCG is probably dead and gone forever, same for the LCG. If Asmodee goes broke in 18 months someone might be able to buy the IP, or it might get valued at X then vaulted forever for some writeoffs Warner Bros style.

Never let a corporation get their hands on something you love if you have the option.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

HidaO-Win posted:

Asmodee have the entire L5R IP and have been licensing it out to people who want to put out some merch or put a veneer on a boardgame. The L5R CCG is probably dead and gone forever, same for the LCG. If Asmodee goes broke in 18 months someone might be able to buy the IP, or it might get valued at X then vaulted forever for some writeoffs Warner Bros style.

Never let a corporation get their hands on something you love if you have the option.

I'll hard agree with that last statement.

You don't think there's a possibility of anyone licensing it and redoing the CCG? As an aside, I I know a lot of people didn't really like it due to the way the deckbuilding was, but I thought the FFG Star Wars LCG drew a lot from L5R.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

EdsTeioh posted:

I'll hard agree with that last statement.

You don't think there's a possibility of anyone licensing it and redoing the CCG? As an aside, I I know a lot of people didn't really like it due to the way the deckbuilding was, but I thought the FFG Star Wars LCG drew a lot from L5R.

It's not impossible, but CCGs are a crowded market atm: F&B, Final Fantasy, Digimon, Battle Spirits, One Piece, Lorcana, Star Wars Unlimited etc etc. You'd need someone willing to try and compete with them to do it as a CCG and that's daunting. You are also faced with the issues of modernising the design or not, doing a spiritual sequel or just a dude battler with an L5R skin. The L5R playerbase was incredibly loyal, but it was never a huge game and the nostalgia pop got recently eaten by the LCG and that was a bust in the end. Also, you are licensing the game from Asmodee and if it succeeds too much, you will end up with an ever increasing license cost on top of everything else. So, I don't think anything will happen for a couple of years.

One of the Star Wars LCG playtesters was a big L5R CCG player and the original version of the Star Wars LCG didn't have the pod deck building but was otherwise the same game, he said it was the best game he ever played. It certainly had the best aspects of L5Rs complex battles in there.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

HidaO-Win posted:

It's not impossible, but CCGs are a crowded market atm: F&B, Final Fantasy, Digimon, Battle Spirits, One Piece, Lorcana, Star Wars Unlimited etc etc. You'd need someone willing to try and compete with them to do it as a CCG and that's daunting. You are also faced with the issues of modernising the design or not, doing a spiritual sequel or just a dude battler with an L5R skin. The L5R playerbase was incredibly loyal, but it was never a huge game and the nostalgia pop got recently eaten by the LCG and that was a bust in the end. Also, you are licensing the game from Asmodee and if it succeeds too much, you will end up with an ever increasing license cost on top of everything else. So, I don't think anything will happen for a couple of years.

One of the Star Wars LCG playtesters was a big L5R CCG player and the original version of the Star Wars LCG didn't have the pod deck building but was otherwise the same game, he said it was the best game he ever played. It certainly had the best aspects of L5Rs complex battles in there.

Well drat, I didn't know that about SWLCG. TBH though, I actually liked the pod system since I'm really bad at building decks.

CCGs are fairly crowded at the top right now, but I think that seeing how Vampire (my OTHER favorite ccg) has come back from the dead (pun intended) gives me a little hope. I know the ownership for those properties is different, but hey, a guy can hope, right?

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, so Sorcery was a big whiff.

drat, sorry to hear y’all had such a bad time with it. It sounds like you’re pretty dead-set in your view, but I just wanted to respond to a few things.

The rulebook - y’all used the full rulebook found online and not just the highly truncated one in the precon box, right? Assuming you did. Even then, I agree, there are a lot of new concepts and intricate interactions. The ‘rules questions’ channel on the official Discord is a great place to find answers via search, but recently the Sorcery League discord community (basically the heart of the competitive scene, runs six-week leagues on Tabletop Sim) put out a comprehensive rulebook clarifications guide which has card by card rulings. It’s a bit of a struggle at first but things click together pretty quickly.

The subreddit is absolutely a wasteland - but on both the official Discord and the league Discord there is constant discussion of deckbuilding and strategy. Maybe these types of things are just shifting away from reddit and onto discord, especially new games without already established pre-discord subreddits.

I absolutely was not intending to brag about owning the Power 5 cards - I was trying to lament the price of them and its recent increase. I wish things were even cheaper than they are. That said, no deck *needs* a Philosopher’s Stone to function. There’s a lot of people who even think the power cards are overrated because they are bad draws late-game. If you remove the power cards (specifically P. Stone) from the equation, I don’t think any many decks crack $100. However, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the price to FaB, SWU, etc, simply due to the fact that the meta only rotates once a year. The length of time any given card remains relevant is so much longer than most other TCGs, which amounts to a savings. There are definitely a lot of gross finance people attached to the game, but in my experience it’s really much more than that.

The gameplay might seem boring at a glance but I’ve found every game to be thrilling and brain-stretching. In a lot of ways it plays like a board game. The spatial dynamic of creating the battlefield as you play adds a huge level of complexity.

It’s definitely a huge bummer that it has sold out - the beta stock lasted only 7 months (though they are doing one more wave for Europe). I think they underestimated demand moreso than intentionally underprinting. For now the best ways to play for newcomers are the precons and tabletop sim.

I’ve been fascinated and engaged by the game, and I’m the furthest thing from a finance type. I am a NEET living w my parents with a tiny spending budget. The game is just super fun and unique. Worth wrapping head around the rules.

I’m probably coming across as super defensive, that’s alright. I want to advocate for the game because I hope that it spreads, especially upon the next set release - and that the next print run is much larger. It’s definitely hard to advocate for currently, beyond precons and TTS, due to lack of product. I hope that your experience isn’t the typical one, bc that’d be a big problem. Wanted especially to dispel the idea that there is no discussion happening - it’s just all on reddit. Cheers, and thanks for sharing your experience. Hope I’m not threadshitting too much when most discussion is about other games.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Have you L5R fans watched the strangely fun Gamers movie?

https://youtu.be/ZNxJNpb590c?si=boFEgZJPMAfqMXr0

Between 7th Sea and L5R, those tournament scenes ruled. Weird to see a movie that tries to capture that feel.

Egads, that trailer sucks. Just watch the thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Flutch posted:

If you remove the power cards (specifically P. Stone) from the equation, I don’t think any many decks crack $100. However, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the price to FaB, SWU, etc, simply due to the fact that the meta only rotates once a year. The length of time any given card remains relevant is so much longer than most other TCGs, which amounts to a savings. There are definitely a lot of gross finance people attached to the game, but in my experience it’s really much more than that.

...wait, what do you mean by "meta rotates once a year"? I don't think any set rotated out of FaB for as long as I played it, and most cards became easier to get (Except Command and Conquer :bahgawd:) with the Historic sets. I mean, sure, heroes rotated out once they hit Living Legend, but even then they have rules for a format where all Heroes are playable. I'm just wondering what you mean by that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Randalor posted:

...wait, what do you mean by "meta rotates once a year"? I don't think any set rotated out of FaB for as long as I played it, and most cards became easier to get (Except Command and Conquer :bahgawd:) with the Historic sets. I mean, sure, heroes rotated out once they hit Living Legend, but even then they have rules for a format where all Heroes are playable. I'm just wondering what you mean by that.

I think they mean the meta changes. Every new FaB set changes the meta

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ooooooh that makes sense. Then again, depending on your hero, your actual decision may not change even with new sets! Haha...ha... :smith:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Flutch posted:

drat, sorry to hear y’all had such a bad time with it. It sounds like you’re pretty dead-set in your view, but I just wanted to respond to a few things.

Not so much deadset on never playing again but it's at the end of a long queue of things to play. We just got the new Marvel Champions box and want to run through that a couple times, then what went from being 2p sessions have expanded to include a third guy who shows up occasionally and he's down for whatever but that means that 2p games get spaced out more; but since we have three I picked up a couple board games that I'd been putting off buying until we had a regular third (Merchants of Venus and Through the Ages; wildly different games I know), next week my copy of the Heroes of Might and Magic kickstarter game arrives so that's going to hit the table soon, then we have a few more DBZ decks to play, I want to proxy these SWU decks while the rules are fresh in our minds, I've got a dozen 7th Sea decks to play, the FF Heroclix box set to run through(never done Heroclix and would like to dive deeper into that), at some point I'll get a copy of Earthborne Rangers and that will probably cycle through. Then I have a ton of RE4U NJPW/STARDOM decks that I need to print out translations for so we can check that game out deeper. I really want to hit Middle Earth and Star Trek 2E again. And I'm working on trying to create some custom AEW decks, using the WWE Raw Deal rules/cards(more of a reskin than a new game).

So I'd like to get back to it, but there are other games that have "proxy priority" and ideally I'd rather just actually support the game so it might be a situation where I just come back to it in three years when there's more of a stockpile that is just sitting around and maybe some other people are actually just looking to unload their sets because the game doesn't take off or they don't have time, or there's something new to collect.

quote:

The rulebook - y’all used the full rulebook found online and not just the highly truncated one in the precon box, right? Assuming you did. Even then, I agree, there are a lot of new concepts and intricate interactions. The ‘rules questions’ channel on the official Discord is a great place to find answers via search, but recently the Sorcery League discord community (basically the heart of the competitive scene, runs six-week leagues on Tabletop Sim) put out a comprehensive rulebook clarifications guide which has card by card rulings. It’s a bit of a struggle at first but things click together pretty quickly.

We absolutely used the truncated one in the precon box because we presumed that surely in 2023 nobody would be dumb enough to ship their starter product with a rulebook that doesn't actually tell you how to play. Hilariously we thought that Solforge's "here's a link to the rules" insert was the worst product design choice we were going to see last year, but nope! Here's Sorcery with it's small rulebook that's so hilariously vague and bad, I would have assumed it was literally trying to make a joke about how bad rulebooks were in the 90s.

quote:

The subreddit is absolutely a wasteland - but on both the official Discord and the league Discord there is constant discussion of deckbuilding and strategy. Maybe these types of things are just shifting away from reddit and onto discord, especially new games without already established pre-discord subreddits.

I'm an old man and I forget that Discord exists then I remember every few months. Discord is a great place to get immediate feedback but it's not great for actually getting information unless you're staying up to date with it.

quote:

I absolutely was not intending to brag about owning the Power 5 cards - I was trying to lament the price of them and its recent increase. I wish things were even cheaper than they are. That said, no deck *needs* a Philosopher’s Stone to function. There’s a lot of people who even think the power cards are overrated because they are bad draws late-game. If you remove the power cards (specifically P. Stone) from the equation, I don’t think any many decks crack $100. However, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the price to FaB, SWU, etc, simply due to the fact that the meta only rotates once a year. The length of time any given card remains relevant is so much longer than most other TCGs, which amounts to a savings. There are definitely a lot of gross finance people attached to the game, but in my experience it’s really much more than that.

Yeah, I was trying not insult you personally. Even a humble brag is still the point though. So much discourse around modern games CCG or Video Games seems to center around people trying to keep up with the Joneses and have the best collection of shiny cardboard or virtual waifus. Like it certainly existed in my day, and I was probably a lot more smug that I remember I was about getting a playset of Morphlings back in the early 2000s but even then there was a specific utility they had in the game and they were played. I have been fortunate, or maybe stupid given that I still have student loans, to never actually care enough about the price of a card to let it hinder me from getting a hold of it if I was actually planning on playing it. The current generation of card players just seems to care a lot more about showing off their toys more than the games they actually play with them; which I think isn't just due to young kids being brought up on the Fortnite and Genshin, but due to people that had time for games in their later teens/twenties now wanting to still try and "fit into the scene" so to speak but having neither regular play groups or the time(due to family and careers) the best they can really do is buy the poo poo and post about what the have online.

quote:

The gameplay might seem boring at a glance but I’ve found every game to be thrilling and brain-stretching. In a lot of ways it plays like a board game. The spatial dynamic of creating the battlefield as you play adds a huge level of complexity.

I'm definitely curious if you tried Mage Wars because that has a very similar dynamic. Huge difference is the element of dice rolls, but they did a good job of trying to really make them average out. The other difference is that in Mage Wars you can literally cast any 2 spells from your deck of 60~ cards every turn which can be bad if you're playing with someone that has AP. Huge variety of builds in that game as well. Having a version of Mage Wars that played in 30~ minutes was a draw for me in picking up Sorcery.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

PaybackJack posted:

We absolutely used the truncated one in the precon box because we presumed that surely in 2023 nobody would be dumb enough to ship their starter product with a rulebook that doesn't actually tell you how to play. Hilariously we thought that Solforge's "here's a link to the rules" insert was the worst product design choice we were going to see last year, but nope! Here's Sorcery with it's small rulebook that's so hilariously vague and bad, I would have assumed it was literally trying to make a joke about how bad rulebooks were in the 90s.

I had the same issue with the FFTCG and it's one of my only major complaints about an otherwise excellent game. I've picked up several pairs of starters and two anniversary boxes that are understood to be good for jumpstarting newer collections, and none of these products had an actual rule book. They all had the same truncated quick start rules. Both anniversary boxes had a few cards with keywords that weren't covered in the quick start rules. It wasn't hard to find the full rules online, but cripes just give this grumpy old 41 year old the ding dang rules with your product. I understand the quick start rules so as to not chase off players newer to CCGs in general, but these games really ought to provide both. If MTG was packing those tiny booklets into starters 30 years ago, there's no reason these games can't do the same in 2024 CE.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The argument against putting comprehensive rules in physical form is that they’re almost immediately obsolete. A vibrant TCG is updating its rules pretty regularly. Running the comprehensive rules through layout every few months is easily trimmed labor.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CitizenKeen posted:

The argument against putting comprehensive rules in physical form is that they’re almost immediately obsolete. A vibrant TCG is updating its rules pretty regularly. Running the comprehensive rules through layout every few months is easily trimmed labor.

That makes sense. I just wish there was a middle ground, though, because these quick start rules aren't enough. There's a few examples besides FFTCG that all have the same problem. I found myself running into unanswered rule questions ten minutes into my first game in some of these examples. If the quick start rules can't handle the rigor of a total noob ten minutes into his first game, then something is missing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If your rules are being rendered obsolete so quickly that you can't print good physical rules, that sounds like there's a serious problem with your game. I don't think anyone is wanting a 100% fully comprehensive rules, detailing each and every niche interaction to be included with the game, but Magic was able to include a solid set of rules that covered the rules and keywords back in 1995, and even had plenty of text examples on what it just explained. If you're going to make a sealed product with specific cards, at least make sure your rules cover the included cards keywords.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Decipher's Star Wars CCG introduced boatloads of new rules with every set. Two years after launch they put out an "anthology" product that included some starters, boosters, white-border promo cards, and FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE PREMIER A COMPREHENSIVE RULEBOOK that immediately got rendered obsolete the moment the next set dropped.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Came across a video by a primarily Vanguard and Shadowverse Evolve youtuber who lives in Japan going through a sales chart for the top 15 TCGs in Japan for fiscal year 2023/4 and trying to give some context. I figured some people in here might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGx6iLz57uA

The chart if you don't want to deal with the video:

pre:

Place	Game			Sales (in billion yen)	comparison with previous year

1	Pokemon 		133.7			137%
2	Yu-Gi_Oh!		 47.1			103%
3	Duel Masters		 28.9			 97%
4	One Piece		 26.5			303%
5	Weiss Shwarz		 13.9			147%
6	Magic the Gathering	  5.3			 94%
7	Battle Spirits		  3.8			 91%
8	Shadowverse Evolve	  3.7			 50%
9	Union Arena		  3.2			643%*
10	Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel	  3.1			114%
11	Cardfight! Vanguard	  2.9			152%
12	Digimon			  1.2			 85%
13	Wixoss			  1			104%
14	Build Divide		  0.9			151%
15	Rebirth for You		  0.87			 74%

*The comparative data for Union Arena is kind of nonsense because it launched right at the end of the previous fiscal year.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Here's a tier list video from from guys who you'll probably have seen if you've ever googled videos about Star Wars, Star Trek or other dead ccgs.

I would dispute elements of the list and even some of the inclusions/exclusions. Though I don't have a ton of experience with VS, particularly at it's peak to say if it was ever that good of a game. Netrunner was a lot better in the LCG form although it had some issues there too. I've never heard anyone ever talk about Mythos beyond it existing as a Lovecraftian CCG.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2024

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

That list created a painfully dumb discourse in a lot of larger English language Digimon TCG online groups about it being proof somehow that Digimon is a dead game in the western market.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PaybackJack posted:

I would dispute elements of the list and even some of the inclusions/exclusions. Though I don't have a ton of experience with VS, particularly at it's peak to say if it was ever that good of a game. Netrunner was a lot better in the LCG form although it had some issues there too. I've never heard anyone ever talk about Mythos beyond it existing as a Lovecraftian CCG.

Mythos was kind of groundbreaking as a story-focused CCG from what I recall but I don't find much nostaliga for it amongst old card floppers.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Dawgstar posted:

Mythos was kind of groundbreaking as a story-focused CCG from what I recall but I don't find much nostaliga for it amongst old card floppers.

I played it a lot back in the day.
It had really fun and unique mechanics and it felt very Cthulhu.
It was also mostly a solitaire game with low interactions.
Biggest interactive things were playing an occasional monster (for your adventures)
or playing Calamity pass (or early passing) to end the current round and forcing others to discard cards they wanted to keep.
Latter was considered a dick move on our group, but you'd eventually got those cards back, when your deck got reshuffled.

Shame I threw my old cards away back in the day. It worked really well as a casual single player game too.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Judgy Fucker posted:

Decipher's Star Wars CCG introduced boatloads of new rules with every set. Two years after launch they put out an "anthology" product that included some starters, boosters, white-border promo cards, and FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE PREMIER A COMPREHENSIVE RULEBOOK that immediately got rendered obsolete the moment the next set dropped.

Some old rulebooks were just terrible in general. The MECCG rulebook was an absolute disaster, nearly incomprehensible. The MTG rulebooks were almost as bad, except for, crucially, the Ice Age one, which had extensive gameplay examples. The original SWCCG rulebook wasn't much better either, but the starter set that was released with the Unlimited Edition made things a big easier (same thing for the MECCG two player starter set that appeared later in the game's lifetime).
The Sorcery rulebook was bad in that it left you with a whole lot of questions--it left me with many questions--but it presented the basic concepts of the game in a fairly concise manner. With MTG, come Tempest and the 6th Edition, WOTC decided to simply let go of any attempt to fit a rulebook with their product and instead decided to go for a shortened turn description and a link to an online how to play. I think this is acceptable as long as you communicate things clearly with videos and gameplay examples (though Sorcery, in my experience, did not really make this much easier), but it is also why resources for immediate feedback, such as Discord, are necessary to solve minor questions that are not explained in the rules. That's just the nature of games with hundreds upon hundreds of completely different pieces.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are there any good resources for making PNP sets of any of these games for playing at home, considering how hard it is to find sets that aren't on ebay? I've gotten the crafting bug and want something to make after I make some Arkham Horror fan campaigns. Even just high-quality scans of all the cards and the rules would be fine.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Randalor posted:

Are there any good resources for making PNP sets of any of these games for playing at home, considering how hard it is to find sets that aren't on ebay? I've gotten the crafting bug and want something to make after I make some Arkham Horror fan campaigns. Even just high-quality scans of all the cards and the rules would be fine.

Mostly you just go out and find a decent set of images for like OCTGN or Tabletop Sim, print them, cut them, and stick them into sleeves with like basic lands or a common cardback. If you want to go all out, you could maybe do what we did in the old days of the grand drought of Netrunner, and the end of the Decipher Star Trek and Star Wars ccgs and get together with groups of folks to print custom sets at a printer that will print cards regardless of copyright.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Randalor posted:

With quick googling, at least Mythos, Middle-Earth the wizards, Lord of the Rings TCG, Wheel of Time CCG, Star Wars CCG and Star Trek TCG cards are all easily available.
Lot of Precedence games card images disappeared after the Mahasamatman's card trading site closed down few years back, which is shame.

They're :filez: though so not linking.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Issaries posted:

With quick googling, at least Mythos, Middle-Earth the wizards, Lord of the Rings TCG, Wheel of Time CCG, Star Wars CCG and Star Trek TCG cards are all easily available.
Lot of Precedence games card images disappeared after the Mahasamatman's card trading site closed down few years back, which is shame.

They're :filez: though so not linking.

Neat, I'll give those a look.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I wrote up Mythos upthread. It’s a good game with a unique feel and a totally screwed up victory condition that ruins the whole thing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

hyphz posted:

I wrote up Mythos upthread. It’s a good game with a unique feel and a totally screwed up victory condition that ruins the whole thing.

Railing Kill posted:

Mythos -- hyphz's effortpost here

:wotwot:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

hyphz posted:

I disagree on that. The Adventures are what makes this game great. They're a great story-telling devices.
The text gives you just an idea what is required for the story, but you as a player (and your opponents) create the actual adventure by choosing and playing the cards.

Deckbuilding is all about finding synergies between different adventures to make a great engine.
My local group ran Mythos World Championship tournaments (Name was just a joke, it was just our local group)
and usually our games were pretty tight with #2 player of each table usually needing 1-2 more rounds to win themselves.
There was a lot of variety in adventures used, although Dreamlands based decks were pretty rare.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 1, 2024

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Has there been much buzz or opinion around the Sand Land tcg? I saw it's getting an English release through Bandai in September and that Richard Garfield is attached but that's kind of the extent of it. Also there's only one starter that randomly contains one of ten different decks or something.

There's nothing on the TCG+ app about it yet. I feel like I missed the boat for Fusion World but I'm hungry for a Toriyama fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... I'm sorry, the WHAT tcg? I mean, I know what Sand Land is, I read it back when Shonen Jump ran it... oh gently caress me, what, 20 years ago? Is there just a random resurgence in its popularity or are companies trying to cash in off of Toriyama's passing? That's an honest question, I have no idea if Sand Land started making a comeback before his death. It was a good manga.