Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Randalor posted:

... I'm sorry, the WHAT tcg? I mean, I know what Sand Land is, I read it back when Shonen Jump ran it... oh gently caress me, what, 20 years ago? Is there just a random resurgence in its popularity or are companies trying to cash in off of Toriyama's passing? That's an honest question, I have no idea if Sand Land started making a comeback before his death. It was a good manga.

there was a Sand Land movie released last year and it will be turned into an episodic anime now, so Bandai decided to cash in, but also bring Richard Garfield on board https://www.sandland-tac-card.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

A video game just got released recently as well so it seems like they're taking it to a whole bunch of media fronts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, so... it just randomly had a resurgence 20 years later that sadly coincided with Toriyama's death. That's unfortunate, but apparently the film did well so he got to see it start its come back, which is good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Warlord is currently getting a revival kickstarter. Was interested until I got to the rewards and $100 just gets you a box of precons and the next level is $300 for a booster box, a collection of AEG era promo cards and the precons. Seems a bit rich.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eeeeyeah. I had a bit of sticker shock at seeing the prices they were wanting.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Warlord is currently getting a revival kickstarter. Was interested until I got to the rewards and $100 just gets you a box of precons and the next level is $300 for a booster box, a collection of AEG era promo cards and the precons. Seems a bit rich.

If you value the box at MSRP prices for comparable things and you assume the box of greed is worth $80 which definitely seems high. The next level above that is worse as you're paying $150 more for sleeves, dice and playmats.

I'm pretty sure I paid $60 USD shipped for the Sorcery starters and paying $140 for the Warlord ones seems excessive as well.

I did not enjoy the Warlord that we played. The dice were far too random and having played Summoner Wars first I couldn't help but compare them and like that one more.

I also hate Wizards of the Coast for normalizing the trend of having a 24 pack booster box.

I guess it's going to be out there though, already at nearly a quarter of a million dollars.

edit: If you just want a booster box, they're $110 plus shipping with the $1 pledge .

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2024

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PaybackJack posted:

I also hate Wizards of the Coast for normalizing the trend of having a 24 pack booster box.

How many packs should be in a box?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
WoTC didn't normalize it. They do like one draft focused set a year with 24 packs and the rest have 36. Flesh and Blood are the ones pumping out 24 pack boxes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

WoTC didn't normalize it. They do like one draft focused set a year with 24 packs and the rest have 36. Flesh and Blood are the ones pumping out 24 pack boxes.

CitizenKeen posted:

How many packs should be in a box?

Well I guess I blame Flesh and Blood for making that change. I just noticed it with Star Wars Unlimited and then checked Lorcana and then checked Flesh and Blood so I just assumed that Wizards set the standard at some point and everyone else just followed suit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Wars CCG was the best game. No need for counters or anything, the mechanics were beautiful and elegant. They suffered a bit from all the extra stuff you could do in games, but I played it all the way to the end.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You can do add-ons, and some shops may get better rates, but I do wish those prices were a bit lower, for sure. Wouldn't mind 100 for set of precons + a playmat, for example.

Hope my local shop is able to do some better prices, Warlord has big nostalgia for us here. Personally thinking of picking up the set of precons and a playmat, even at 150 or so.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Chill la Chill posted:

Star Wars CCG was the best game. No need for counters or anything, the mechanics were beautiful and elegant. They suffered a bit from all the extra stuff you could do in games, but I played it all the way to the end.

I think my fave thing about the older games was they all had tournament packs and special starters:

https://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?ItemId=swtsdbnsw

I miss these Wild West days.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PuttyKnife posted:

I think my fave thing about the older games was they all had tournament packs and special starters:

I loved the "Enhanced" packs. 3 packs of an overproduced product with a cool promo card was perfect to get people to do a draft and help move product they had laying around.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PuttyKnife posted:

Oh man, these were terrific. The 1st gen of CCGs "starter decks" were almost always unplayable garbage even in a limited format, these were super fun to crack and smash against a friend.

Plus the boxes were great for decks in an era when those kinds of products didn't really exist. The perfect size for sleeved light- and dark-side decks and a rulebook.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Judgy Fucker posted:

Oh man, these were terrific. The 1st gen of CCGs "starter decks" were almost always unplayable garbage even in a limited format, these were super fun to crack and smash against a friend.

Plus the boxes were great for decks in an era when those kinds of products didn't really exist. The perfect size for sleeved light- and dark-side decks and a rulebook.

i remember always being intimidated by card games where the starter was just cards and a book. its too complicated, you dont have big enough pictures here

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

John Romero posted:

i remember always being intimidated by card games where the starter was just cards and a book. its too complicated, you dont have big enough pictures here

It's been mentioned above, but Decipher's Star Wars did really well with introductory products. Both the premiere and Hoth sets had two-player introductory sets that were guaranteed playable out of the box, and include special promo cards. Most of the promos were super lovely versions of big characters (like Luke and Vader) so newbies could play with the "mains" of the saga. However, these and the official tournament sealed decks (which really weren't an introductory product but easily could've been) did have some pretty strong promos; the premiere intro set and the tournament sealed decks weren't too hard to find but the Hoth intro set had a very limited print run and made some of the promos inside worth quite a bit as they were actually tournament-playable:

A cheaper walker that came with its own pilot.

+2 to force drains could really put the hurt on your opponent.

Not a gangbusters site by any means, but another Hoth location to Garrison your opponent with (and makes it cheaper to get your walkers out)

A very cheap and efficient vehicle, got used a lot more after later sets gave reasons to play more vehicles.

I remember chasing after every single Walker Garrison and Imperial Walker folks at our SWCCG scene had, I wound up with 3 Walker Garrisons but only ever managed to get one Imperial Walker so never made my dark side Hoth deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's been mentioned above, but Decipher's Star Wars did really well with introductory products. Both the premiere and Hoth sets had two-player introductory sets that were guaranteed playable out of the box, and include special promo cards. Most of the promos were super lovely versions of big characters (like Luke and Vader) so newbies could play with the "mains" of the saga.

You really can't undersell how incredibly bad those promo Luke and Vader were. I'm honestly still not sure if they were better or worse than the 2/2 for 4 blank text box Han, Tarkin, etc. that came out later.

Walker Garrison was a great card; I also collected a few of those later on when I came back into the game.

The objectives were one of the things I really loved about that game. Some of them were broken as hell but I loved the flavor. In addition to the speed up start, and gave you an active goal rather than just accumulate force and then dump mains; they added a lot to the game.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

You really can't undersell how incredibly bad those promo Luke and Vader were. I'm honestly still not sure if they were better or worse than the 2/2 for 4 blank text box Han, Tarkin, etc. that came out later.

I'd say worse. And yeah, they were bad enough that when I first learned the game I didn't understand how they worked because they made no Goddamn sense:

The "May not be deployed if two or more of opponent's unique characters on table" line is :psyduck:. So if your opponent is seemingly ahead in boardstate, Luke or Vader can't show up to help you? What the gently caress?

I know they wanted to make versions that wouldn't compete with the "real" ones in the set, but sheesh.

I had forgotten that Vader got mad and killed one of your dudes if you lost a battle, lol. Reading that text as an adult and not as a child now, I'm assuming the plain language ruling would be Vader would choke himself if he was the last Imperial left?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Learned some solid info today in that Luke was nicknamed "Wormie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I had forgotten that Vader got mad and killed one of your dudes if you lost a battle, lol. Reading that text as an adult and not as a child now, I'm assuming the plain language ruling would be Vader would choke himself if he was the last Imperial left?

There's precedent: https://youtu.be/jQfbJuBLDak