Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've half assedly skimmed the thread; has any one brought up Metazoo? I thought of it recently and wondered if it's doing well or anything at all after the investor hype died down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

triple sulk posted:

Pretty sure it's more or less dead and worthless and that Sorcery is the new investor scam.

A new investor scam one already? Metazoo's corpse isn't even cold yet. I've got some YouTube investor types on as background noise atm and am currently listening to the cope. So far I've got "the economy's bad, people aren't spending" and "tcg sales are down across the board" as excuses as to why Metazoo prices fell off a cliff. The comments are claiming it will just become niche for a while and get big again.

One of the few serious reviews of the gameplay I could find amounted to it might be okay to play on a camping trip because of the whole 4th wall breaking environment mechanic. Which always sounded like a mess to actually play, and I guess they had to walk that back some with the equivalent of Pokemon's stadium cards?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

triple sulk posted:

The art is bad, the gameplay seems bad, and Rudy was really the only driving force behind it.

Sorcery has incredibly bad fantasy novel art and the alpha release boxes (which is actually called alpha because of obvious ways to sucker in investors) are now apparently $800-1000 on eBay because of Rudy and a few others from the FAB boom-bust cycle.

I don't know the Rudy story, quick Google says a Youtube hypeman? I also see people have gotten made at Mike, the creator, over his lack of customer service and something about shutting down the NFT portion of the discord, because of course they sold NFTs for this as well. Also seems like it fell into the too many promos trap, and maybe too much of the wrong side merch as well. Really needed a cartoon show or something to draw the kids into it, not rugs, mugs, hats, pins, and air pod cases. The quick boom/bust of this one fascinates me as it came straight out of the Pokemon hype of 2021 which has also died.

Some of the the art isn't the worst, even MTG had some jank art in the early days, but it ain't great either: too bad this went down in flames before hiring more artists on. At least Sorcery beats it on that front by simply being competently done generic fantasy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
On a lighter note did anyone ever get into the TCGs for any of the other shonen anime from 2002? Yugioh is what lasted and DBZ/GT was already covered here, but YuYu Hakusho, One Piece, Inuyasha, Naruto, Shaman King, and Zatchbell all had games attached. They used to give away promo cards with issues of Shonen Jump back in the day, which is how I got them, but never bothered to look for packs in stores.

The Shaman King cards were weird: extra thick and double sided because there was a pullout at the top with more symbols for the game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

John Romero posted:

lol alright. No interest in playing it, I was just updating my son’s Pokémon in the Collectr app and accidentally swiped over to it. Surprisingly enough the swimsuit cards are worth the most money. The cards have an insane amount of small text on them too

Not really a suprise, the waifu demographic has no shame. I stumbled into a box breaking stream for Weiss once and that is how I learned of the term "booba" among other things. If it's female and anime someone is creeping on it, doesn't matter the franchise.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

I would love a ready made fftcg community here in Rochester New York but every time I’ve gone to the anime store that says it has a tournament night, I meet with Lamp loving weebs who gatekeep knowing anything at all about anything that happens at the store.

So I gave up.

I assume fftcg is too old for Millenium or Just Game to be doing any tournaments themselves? Glad to know I'm not the only one weirded out by Hammergirl Anime and not suprised that it's the uber weebs there. I am too chicken to attend of these stores' gaming events so I really don't know the character of them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat I was hoping there was more to their events as I haven't looked back over their past ones too closely, shame. I guess you are stuck being the change you want to see. Do you have the excuse of being associated with RIT and can get traction with the nerds there, maybe?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

I work at RIT, so yeah. Sadly, the students here haven't heard of games outside of Magic the Gathering who has a designer named, "Wizards of the Coast." I tried to get them to play other Richard Garfield games and they said, "Who is that?"

So once I reassembled myself due to becoming dust, I swore to never talk to them again.

drat, that's brutal.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

PuttyKnife posted:

It was stupid.

Let’s go back to talking about forgotten ccgs like xxxenophile.

I'll back you up on this too, I called looking for a specific older manga, they said they didn't have any of it. Went in person a week later, there was two random volumes of it on the shelf, so they didn't even do a token look. Also needing to have the shop closed on mondays to do inventory is a bit weird, one would think you'd want to want to do that poo poo before or after business hours to maximize the time you are open to the public. I haven't gone back there in at least a couple of years.

But yes let's move on to weird old tcgs. Was that strange Tomb Raider one covered? I had a starter deck but got rid of it without even giving it a try. It seemed to kinda operate on that middle ground between tcg and card based board game. Also, have I asked about the Inuyasha tcg in here? I might have, I'm running into the end of my knowledge of weird cardboard crap.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That's part of my minor annoyance with the Inuyasha card game, all the art is just screenshots from the anime with text applied over it and it looks pretty bland. I think it's because they didn't even do the basics like isolate characters off the background of the tv show. And as an idiot who collects more than plays tcgs, Inuyasha doesn't give me an excuse of cool art, so I never picked it up.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah isn't One Piece supposed to end soon? It's probably last hurrah hype as the series wraps.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Google is telling me that Oda said he was going wrap up the manga in 2024 or 2025. Though it will take some time for that to trickle through to the anime and live action I suppose.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lmao, glad I cracked the blister pack I got out of curiosity forever ago. Wasn't worth it and I foresee myself recycling the cards later when I need space in the binder. And to answer the hanging question, I'm not sure there are enough players of Metazoo to get an accurate read on whether the game itself was any good. The environment thing was an... inspired choice but didn't they just wind up printing cards that let you change what your surrounding environment was to benefit your deck?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
And here I was thinking of picking up a box of MTG Murders at Karlov Manor just for fun and because the set theme amused me.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Railing Kill posted:

I mean, nothing is stopping you.

Mostly my budget is. To that end:

LifeLynx posted:

The next set I'm actually excited about is Bloomburrow, the one that's basically Redwall, which comes out in late July.

Oh god a cute adventuring animals set and I like the art they've released so far, why did you have to tell me this?!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That reminds me, do people actually play Weiss Schwarz or how ever it's spelled? Or is it still the domain of collectors into the "art."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Huh. Makes since that it's not as big in the west as in Japan. I didn't know if I was just seeing a biased sample from the one time I saw a box breaking stream for Weiss, and since it was a vtuber based set, people in the chat were only there for their waifus.