Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ve tried the XVive in a noisy wireless environment and it worked amazingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Armacham posted:

added a master volume.

what are you a coward

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The line 6 wireless thing works fine and is in convenient pedal format. The transmitter stores in the pedal to charge.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I've got a few kinds of AliExpress wireless thingies, they work fine but if your environment has stray EM emissions then they're probably not going to handle that too well. OTOH, USB charging is a plus and the price isn't going to make you too sad if they don't work for you.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Thumposaurus posted:

The line 6 wireless thing works fine and is in convenient pedal format. The transmitter stores in the pedal to charge.

tangentially related: i have one of these and the unit itself works fine, but i got it because it integrates with the thr10 wireless and that is incredibly janky. gotta futz with it so it doesn't drain its battery when it's supposed to be charging in the amp, among other weird handshake issues. just clunky, a cable is more convenient than dealing with it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Cassowary posted:

it integrates with the thr10 wireless

what does this mean? it doesn't interoperate with a specific other brand's wireless?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what does this mean? it doesn't interoperate with a specific other brand's wireless?

yeah the thr10 wireless has an integrated receiver for the line 6 g10t, idk if it works with other brands

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Southern Cassowary posted:

my mother got an ovation celebrity after she looked at them for like two decades. got to play it today, thoughts:

- as a mostly electric player this is the most comfortable acoustic in terms of neck profile, nut width, etc i've ever tried. there's usually a little mental adjustment and there's less of that with the ovation.
- setup is okay, action's a little high up the neck but i've played acoustics with worse factory setups from gibson lol
- the sound is very buzzy in the top end. sounds a lot like a zebrawood taylor i had

tbh it's not to my taste, don't like the tone or the high action, but it's not bad for 600 bucks

My dad really likes them as well. I'm not a huge fan of the tone, either; but they are comfortable to play. Make sure she keeps it at a consistent humidity or the top will crack.

Stalizard posted:

what are you a coward

Absolutely

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mean no offense but let me express what everyone is already thinking:

You see someone walk towards a microphone with a bowl-backed acoustic you think “loving Christ not this dogshit.” And it is dogshit. Every time.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You see someone walk towards a microphone with a bowl-backed acoustic you think “loving Christ not this dogshit.” And it is dogshit. Every time.

Especially if it has the trypophobia soundholes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I only ever saw them in the various guitar mags they look kinda neat but then I'd turn the page to read about slayer or something cool

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Don’t do this. Don’t you do this.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Armacham posted:

Absolutely

I am also a coward with a great big tube amp that I attenuate all the way to hell to play in my room and not disturb anybody else

I can't tell if it's ok or not but at least we're all in it together

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Don’t do this. Don’t you do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dicKNdKa8

Or, tldr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCcbZVZH9A

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

God damnit.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The first time I played an ovation, it fell off my lap because of the slippery round plastic back. It's like it was designed to slide off your leg.

Oh well it's just plastic.

They are terrible guitars and I absolutely hate the sound of them. Agreed, they play like electrics, but they sound like trash. I remember the guy from reo Speedwagon played one when I saw them at a summer festival in the late 90s. I realized how uncool they were at age 12.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Line 6 are owned by Yamaha. (Also ampeg, which is why the ampeg models in the helix use the real names)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I should’ve remembered that. Sucks it doesn’t work, I would hope the full package with the receiver pedal would actually hold up.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I should’ve remembered that. Sucks it doesn’t work, I would hope the full package with the receiver pedal would actually hold up.

i suspect this is an issue with the way the amp's wireless receiver is implemented rather than the wireless system itself. once it connects the signal is great, it's just keeping it connected between sessions and not having to fiddle with it and finding the battery drained randomly when it's supposed to be charging.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's really stupid how often i consider getting one of those old crappy PODs

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Not Dogshit Ovation players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJbyK4NTek

But I'm also An Old raised on Classic Rock when it was just Current Rock.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Splinter posted:

Any recommendations for a cheapish wireless system? This is just for home/studio use, from within a single room, rather than for gigging. Lots of options out there: Behringer AG10, Xvive U2, Boss WL-20 / WL-50.

I've used a Nux B5-RC and the Boss WL-50 and both worked very well, but my environment isn't much of a challenge. The Nux is smaller and folds over so doesn't feel like a big stick hanging out from the bottom of your guitar, but the Boss feels like a tank.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Without fail.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I really like my Line 6 G10 wireless thing but I know there are a boatload of lemons out there so I can't recommend it if you really need to rely on it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

widefault posted:

Not Dogshit Ovation players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJbyK4NTek

But I'm also An Old raised on Classic Rock when it was just Current Rock.

These are both good thanks

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I had an American Ovation for like 15 years before I finally admitted to myself I hated it and sold it. One of the best guitar decisions I've ever made. The $120 dollar Ibanez I bought for my brother to learn on played and sounded better.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Wiring question time.

My current project is a Firebird body + hardtail Tele bridge, so I don't have a tremolo or bridge posts to ground to. I've got conductive paint in the cavities (big mistake, that poo poo gets EVERYWHERE and I should have just used aluminum tape, oh well). Could I just terminate the green circled ground points with little circle terminals and screw them into the body where there's conductive paint?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

How have I never seen or heard of this YouTube channel before? It is absolute gold. Clean performance and then the lesson (with TAB) after. LOTS of variety in repertoire. Video game music, Christmas music, Movies, and all the great classical things I can think of. Tons of lessons and exercises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCVBDCavI_c

mewse
May 2, 2006

MJP posted:

Wiring question time.

My current project is a Firebird body + hardtail Tele bridge, so I don't have a tremolo or bridge posts to ground to. I've got conductive paint in the cavities (big mistake, that poo poo gets EVERYWHERE and I should have just used aluminum tape, oh well). Could I just terminate the green circled ground points with little circle terminals and screw them into the body where there's conductive paint?

I think basically yes. That symbol means ground.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

I think basically yes. That symbol means ground.

Gotcha, I wasn't sure if I was meant to ground them to the back of the volume pots like the others or if it was meant to be a separate ground.

Meanwhile, friends don't let friends use conductive paint, even after 5ish days of drying it smeared all OVER the place and I'mma have to hope it comes off with some 2000 grit. Also, nitro paint + nitro matte topcoat = you're gonna get dents, I'm now back to being a poly believer.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah my SOP is to use a ring terminal on a short wire to ground to conductive paint. Will work fine. (i do use copper tape now when redoing a cavity, which is a completely different flavor of frustrating)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MJP posted:

Meanwhile, friends don't let friends use conductive paint, even after 5ish days of drying it smeared all OVER the place and I'mma have to hope it comes off with some 2000 grit. Also, nitro paint + nitro matte topcoat = you're gonna get dents, I'm now back to being a poly believer.

I don’t know what I’m talking about really but I imagine nitro lacquer is even easier to damage when it’s fresh. There’s a Gibson video that mentions they use easier to repair nitro lacquer mix so they can do spot repairs before they ship them. That said my nitro guitars all get varying amounts of damage much faster than any poly guitar I’ve ever had. Poly is like a tank by comparison. I definitely think if you want your guitars to always look shiny and new poly is the way to go

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
For once I'm actually working on my guitars - did an almost-full rewiring of the Strat (minus output jack), switched the decked bridge back to floating, and adjusted the saddles with a radius gauge. First time doing all this stuff. Plays great, sounds great, no more shorting out when I turn a knob or switch the pickup - incredible! Should've done it a long time ago. G&L ASAT Classic is next

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

a.p. dent posted:

For once I'm actually working on my guitars - did an almost-full rewiring of the Strat (minus output jack), switched the decked bridge back to floating, and adjusted the saddles with a radius gauge. First time doing all this stuff. Plays great, sounds great, no more shorting out when I turn a knob or switch the pickup - incredible! Should've done it a long time ago. G&L ASAT Classic is next

It's so satisfying. Also not having to pay someone $100 to do it is nice.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah I paid somebody new to do setup on my 00018 and they did a lovely job. I should have refused the setup fee but I’m too nice. I wanted them to shave the saddle and all they did was adjust the relief, but into a huge back bow. Then said the saddle wasn’t necessary. dunno what they were thinking. I just undid it immediately when I got back

There’s a legit luthier who does way better work but he’s super weird lol and farther away. I’ll use him for stuff i can’t do. But a lot of the basics I just get better results doing stuff myself

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
For sure. I'm sure I didn't do the best job but it's a lot better than the haphazard adjustments I've been doing over the years

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I was tooling last night too pulled the hevydevy fluences out of my lp gonna put the stock ones back in and use the fishies in something else

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
finally was blessed by UPS actually attempting delivery and my epiphone V is here

just a barebones one but I love it, only played for a bit so far it's kinda funky trying to find a good laying down in bed halfway propped up position

first thing I did was tune down to c# for some caveman poo poo but them 9s is too floppy, sounded good through my tiny spark go though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ll stop you right there. I have never found comfortable chillen in bed position with my Flying V.