Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heavy Metal posted:

waxing anime philosophical
the anime "end of history" moment equivalent to the fall of the berlin wall was probably the airing of ghost in the shell sac: 2nd gig, in 2004. there's an enormous generational divide somewhere around 2003-2005 or so, around the time internet distribution and the fansubbing explosion really started to kick off. crunchyroll was founded (as a pirate streaming site) in 2006 and adv was liquidated in 2009, and around that point we also started to get official simulcasts. there's no question that gurren laggan is a classic, but it's an internet era classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I get why your equating the explosion of digital fansubs with the growth of the internet but the early days of the internet absolutely lead to more VHS fansubs getting circulated around than them just staying at certain universities or fan clubs.
yes, but the internet took over the fansubbing community and transformed it to the point of complete replacement within just a few short years. fansubbing in 2003-2004 still had influential people from the vhs era around. it was fairly insular. adv would announce licenses at conventions and fansubs would be dropped. torrents existed but a lot of people still used irc for distribution (one of the first torrent link aggregators was anime.mircx.com; mircx was an irc network). by 2006 the scene had changed completely with a huge influx of people from groups that had previously done dvd rips (as well as a lot of random internet people with no previous exposure to fansubs) and turned into something completely different, and at the same time the audience also exploded because the distribution became enormously easier to access. in a timeframe of only 2-3 years the state of things went from a lot of shows being mostly inaccessible prior to an american dvd release, to basically every single show being available fansubbed within a week or two of airing in japan.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 27, 2022