Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

What movie? There is no Nadesico movie.

Heavy Metal posted:

Anime time is like hyperspace time, it doesn't add up or make sense. It's like some Crusher Joe science. Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.

I still think series that came out in 2009 are new but at this point they're looking inside the oldschool house, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I eventually came around to the typical line of thinking: The OVA is good, the TV series too long and everything else is strictly a matter of personal taste.

I'm the weirdo who dislikes how convoluted the relationships are in the OVA series, prefers Tenchi Universe (TV), and Tenchi in Tokyo has some funny parts and the pink cabbit giant robot but also ruins my favorite favor character's personality.

Never did watch GXP since it was a different set of characters.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't thought about Zoids in forever but I guess it's mecha, even if it is as far removed from a Gundam series as possible. I have always loved Chaotic Century/Guardian Force. It's very basic but maybe that is part of its appeal. That and an absolutely amazing soundtrack and some really cool animal robot/robot animal designs.

I never did finish Chaotic Century, mainly because Zoids was one of those shows that I caught irregularly while getting ready for school, but New Century Zero aired in the afternoon block and I did finish that one.
The only model kits I've built were Zoids, the ones that took batteries and moved around.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Shout-out to the real anime fans that got DBZ tapes with subs that contained a ton of profanity and it was totally a legit transition you guys, I'm fluent in japanese too

I was a bit too young to be a fansub tape renter, but somewhat related - finding out about the changes for-TV dubs made from the original series, major or minor, was always super intriguing to me growing up. I was the kid in the anime friend group who could internet real good, so I'd print out lists of changes from various fansites and bring them to school, where in one case (Tenchi Muyo's changes for Toonami) they got confiscated for having inappropriate material on them.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was it the Anime No Editing Zone by any chance?

That name doesn't ring a bell in the memory, but wouldn't be surprised if that was somewhere I'd ended up reading at some point. There were a lot of those comparison or "uncensored" sites around then, I even ran one myself for a couple years for Tokyo Mew Mew.

Vandar posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that I never had any of my volumes of Love Hina confiscated in high school.

I read Sorcerer Hunters in class a few times. Teachers probably just thought "oh a kid is reading!that's good!" without looking to see what was on some of those covers.

KariOhki fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 4, 2024