Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember seeing episodes of Tenshi ni Narumon, Mamotte Shugogetten, Nadesico, Card Captor Sakura, Cowboy Bebop, Saber Marionette, Lost Universe, Video Girl Ai, Love Hina, Hyper Police, You're Under Arrest, and other shows at my university anime club in the late 90s. A lot of which are still not available for streaming, for whatever reason.

I had really wanted to see Ah My Goddess but I think that had already aired before I stepped foot on campus. Seeing it now, it seems ok but not as fun as I had hoped it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, that's some anime right there.

On Ah My Goddess, have you tried both the OVA and the TV show? Two different flavors. AMG is more mushy and vibe oriented I'd say, but it's got some good comedy. Season 2 went on my backlog 100 years ago, been watching it lately.

That's one that is cemented as just mondo classic for me. Though from what I hear the long-running manga may have lost the magic a bit by the end of it's run. Belldandy has gonna be on the Mount Rushmore of anime. She's the Honest Abe of Anime.

Good point. I didn't realize there was both a tv show and OVA. I'll have to give it a second look.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Probably the only Tenchi Muyo that can be recommended is the first movie (Tenchi Muyo in Love), which is based on the canon of the first tv series. You don't even have to watch the tv series to enjoy it.

The 3 OVA series, which share a continuous canon, are a mixed bag but the first two seasons can probably be considered "classic" Tenchi. It's ok if you like mindless slapstick. I think they showed it on Toonami at some point, and that release was well known for trying to cover up the nudity. I tried watching the 3rd season but it's really boring and I think I only got halfway through it.

The first tv series (tenchi universe, aka tenchi tv) is supposedly ok, but I've never watched it. The second tv series (tenchi in tokyo) has its own canon but I don't recall it being very popular. The 3rd tv series (magical project s) has its own canon but is very Sasami specific and is more of a spinoff. I haven't bothered watching the 4th tv series (tenchi muyo gx or something), and all I know is that it's the one that doesn't even feature Tenchi but is based on the universe in the OVA.

The second movie (Daughter of Darkness) is supposedly based on on the OVA (except for the fact that one of the main ensemble characters is not really supposed to appear since she's a footnote in the OVA, but a main character some of the rest of the series) but it's mostly forgettable.

The third movie (Tenchi Muyo in Love 2) is very slow and if you can stay awake for the entire thing then you deserve a cookie.

EDIT: Added names to the movies since it could be confusing

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 30, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just checked wikipedia and apparently there was a 6th series, "Ai Tenchi Muyo", that was released in 2014 and was 60 episodes.

I just about dropped my jaw until I read further and found out that each episode is 4 minutes each.

Nevertheless, I think they were originally picked up by Funimation and have yet to be migrated to Crunchyroll so maybe it's good for short doses.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

regarding gunsmith cats, It's fun and I like it. I really love to see any anime that takes place in the States (although I've yet to watch Baccano). And supposedly, it really nails the Chicago aesthetic really well. I guess, along with Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell, they're easier forays into anime of that era for people that just want to dip a toe into it and not be watching something like Totoro.

Speaking of American culture, there's an 1986 OVA on youtube called California Crisis that, I think, captures a similar vibe. Supposedly, it's supposed to be a 2-part series but I guess it didn't make enough to get a sequel produced. It's also a pretty mindless watch, but it can be kinda fun.

Taking another brief look at the gunsmith cats ova on youtube, there's a lot of scenes where Rally suffers embarrassing clothing damage so it'll be off the table for the kinds of anime to recommend in 2022. Probably a better choice in the same era would be something like Yokohama Shopping Log, although there's no action in it whatsoever.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ardeem posted:

Escaflowne got off relatively light compared to what happened Card Captor Sakura.

tbh, I secretly wanted cardcaptors to be successful despite the butchering since I feel CLAMP never really got that wide western audience that I feel they deserve.

Then again, it's still a monkey paw wish

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Slayers is some good stuff. I really liked the first three series and the movies but I never really got into the more recent stuff.

I think the last thing I was into was the English gag dub of Ghost Stories, which is on Crunchyroll. It has some real 2000s edgy dub humor that is not always funny but there sometimes is a rare good spot.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

Outlaw Star is the clear 3rd place runner up to Bebop and Trigun for late 90s sci-fi anime. It's a weird show but it doesn't get hung up on explaining itself so you just roll with it and have a good time.

in what place does lost universe end up?

does it even place at all?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ardeem posted:

That's my experience as well, as "a story set in one of the four parallel universes" in Slayers I had high hopes, but Lost Universe just didn't deliver. Looking at its wiki page it seems to have had its share of production woes, so maybe the story could be redone better. Did the the other two ever get expanded on?

I don't think so. And if they did, it was not to the same extent that Slayers and Lost Universe received.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

Anecdote: Nadesico had the first character, Izumi, who made me feel really bad for localizers because I think 99% of what she said was wordplay that made sense only in Japanese.

The series is good and has a decent ending but the movie ends on a cliffhanger with a lot of unanswered questions

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Chad behaviour imo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

KariOhki posted:

I'm the weirdo who dislikes how convoluted the relationships are in the OVA series, prefers Tenchi Universe (TV), and Tenchi in Tokyo has some funny parts and the pink cabbit giant robot but also ruins my favorite favor character's personality.

Never did watch GXP since it was a different set of characters.

I’ve watched the first two OVA seasons, all of the movies, and some of the tv seasons.

The first Tenchi movie is probably the only bit of Tenchi that I can wholeheartedly recommend, and it’s based on the tv series, so I’m in agreement with you.

The other movies are quite confusing unless you understand the nuances behind the relationships between each character. And supposedly the 2nd movie is based on the OVA continuity despite the fact that it has a character that doesn’t truly exist in the OVA series (she’s mainly a tv character). The 3rd movie (Tenchi in Love) feels like a plot to an episode that was so irrelevant that they shelved the idea instead of turning it into an episode. And then they decided to flesh it out to an entire rear end movie.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've yet to finish watching Overman King Gainer but supposedly it's a very good non-Gundam Tomino mecha anime.

I think it's supposed to have an English dub!

I don't think it's running on any of the major streaming services right now though :smith:

I should probably pick up the dvd complete collection on ebay... I think they're going for like $40 or so.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Discotek just put out a Blu ray set back in December. Probably close to the same price.

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

can’t blame them. licenses were cheap, dubbing is cheap, and you there were a lot of surprise hits back then. stuff like outlaw star or trigun were solid “above average” but sold hugely

I was about to object to outlaw star but then I realized I got it mixed up with Lost Universe

outlaw star was good and I wish I had the time to actually watch the anime front to back