Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Just blew through all of Bubblegum Crisis and Crash.

Crisis is loving great. Stereo cranked, adult beverage in hand, makes your balls feel like concrete. Too bad it's unfinished though because Crash sucks rear end (though it does have a GREAT opening theme).

Now I wanna pull up a gun on some anime exec to finally force them into adapting Cannon God Exaxxion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Going through Saint Seiya for the first time and the body count in here for a shonen is hilarious. No one comes back to fight another day unless you're a literal phoenix: You lose a fight, you're loving dead, that's it. Love it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

KariOhki posted:

I'm the weirdo who dislikes how convoluted the relationships are in the OVA series, prefers Tenchi Universe (TV), and Tenchi in Tokyo has some funny parts and the pink cabbit giant robot but also ruins my favorite favor character's personality.

Never did watch GXP since it was a different set of characters.

GXP is a colossal expulsion of poo poo. A fecal Jackson Pollack piece with none of the art or fun.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not seen SDF Macross before (and can't legally thanks to Harmony Gold's iron fist), but I've also never seen their hackjob which is easily available on Crunchyroll, so guess what I'm doing...

Up to Robotech Episode 18. For an 80's dub this is not that bad. On the nose? Yes, but not unwatchable (and quite a few recognizable voices too which is a surprise). Thing moves at one hell of a pace as well.

I did find the ADV files somewhere and compared episodes 1, 8, & 11 for both versions. Honestly, aside from the casual Robotech namedrop (bc syndication bullshit) and whatever the gently caress that Minmay song was -- it's a surprisingly close adaptation.

Also surprising (and possibly a hot take) was when comparing the ADV dub with Harmony Gold's: Vic's Rick is too screechy (we're doing honorifics in English now I guess), Coleen Misa/Lisa was throwing me off, and having Minmay voiced by the JP actress is an honorable choice but, uh... still a choice. I think I like the Robotech VA's more overall. I do sense some minor pullback when it comes to more sexual dialog, but Minmay's still getting eye-hosed in that beauty pageant episode [to the point of some soldiers going "Mmmm.... 16."]

Hot Take #2: Both soundtracks have their highlights and low points. Macross' "smoky lounge / post-sex" incidental music during more casual scenes is great but does absolutely nothing for battle scenes. Meanwhile, OST for Robotech is rock solid throughout except the OP/ED don't hold a candle to Macross (bc runtime and all that bs) --- And of course the whole Minmay deal [THE gently caress IS THIS "STAGEFRIGHT" SONG? DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY 10 MINUTES AGO YOU WROTE A SONG CALLED "MY BOYFRIEND IS A PILOT"???]

Robotech (for the Macross part at least) looks to have come out relatively unscathed compared to Ocean DBZ or DiC Sailor Moon; and with this predating those dubs by a full decade, color me shocked.

However, I have seen Do You Remember Love? in Japanese so there's that lol.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I got to see that in the theater on my first trip to Japan in 1984 and it was loving amazing*. I still have a huge soft spot for it.

* I had almost no idea what anybody was saying in it

:vince:

The Protoculture is strong with this one.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Think the most jarring thing was seeing a billboard for Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso's Darwin album in Macross Plus.

That's awesome, but also... why?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Oh poo poo just realized a young Wendee Lee plays ones of the crew members.

At this point I'm watching it twice: Once with the Macek-red version (to experience the US's first exposure to almost every anime trope ever) followed by the original subbed.

Seemlar posted:

Sudden white hot flash memory of that Robotech narrator that talks about EVERYTHING

This old bag doesn't shut the gently caress up.

Are the original Southern Cross / Mosepeda worth looking up? Might do VOTOMS or Gasaraki next.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like if you remove Robotech from Harmony Gold it's an interesting adaptation and has it's own unique story bits that I'd be perfectly fine with getting more stuff for. But you can separate it from Harmony Gold and it's BS with Macross and that's sad in a way

What's funny is Harmony Gold originally tested a played-straight dub of Macross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhenqCUWc8A

Interesting relic. Uses the same Robotech VA's and Anglicized names (albeit a halfway compromise with Ichijyo/Rick being named "Rick Yamada").

God awful opening theme too, but a peek into what could've been if it weren't for syndication rules.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 27, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/AnimEigo/status/1782581210801439080

As somebody eloquently put it, 'animators who drew cars by hand are gods among men.'

Good God someone please make an Exaxxion anime yesterday.

Yes I know there'll need to be, uh... adaptation liberties taken

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Sonada runs his family's candy store where he's from now.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Heavy Metal posted:

I did like DNA².

Currently watching that. Fun little B-anime. Karin is waif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Reaction to the endings:

Main series: "That was anticlimactic."

OVA: "Oh god this is even worse."

Manga: "What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck"