Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fat frog posted:

no doubt you guys have seen gunsmith cats. what are everyone's thoughts on it? i honestly didn't think it was great, but at only three episodes, it's worth the watch.
i am deeply worried that the new Bean Bandit OVA hasn't been subbed yet. from watching the trailer, i get the sneaking suspicion that sonoda is still just as much of a weirdo as he was 30 years ago.

Jomo posted:

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2022/07/20/bubblegame-crisis-konya-wa-hurricane/

They've released the soundtrack on limited edition vinyl, remastered for this year's 35th anniversary. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm doing an Escaflowne rewatch right now and holy poo poo I forgot how very good the animation, music, and overall world building are in that show. Still wins weirdest final villain award IMO.
maaya sakamoto + yoko kanno is tough to beat

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Attention Thread: Mari Iijima just liked my instagram comment

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this image has trolled me into finally watching death note

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Happy to hear! It's so cool, instant classic.
i've tried about three times since 2006, but The Goth GF always weirds me out

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i do not enjoy light nearly as much after the run-in with Raye Penber’s gf

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

I can see that, iconic stuff right there.
very great scene, but too villainous if you're gonna expect me to like this guy for another ~20 episodes!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i love it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's the list of anime series I'm in the middle of:

Golgo 13
the original ADTRW thread for this was "He Shoots; He Scores" and nothing has ever been more accurate (except for Golgo 13 himself)

also finally got this fit off for the Yung Bag/Macross 82-99/Night Tempo concert in LA last friday

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

That rocks! "Go Go" "Get Wild" with your "Footsteps"!
i was shocked every time a zoomer recognized me, but it kept happening!!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig David Hayter in Manga's Castle of Cagliostro dub, he did a quality Lupin.
he is among the best possible options for making your Japanese media product into an English media product, but he still has to fight against the lip flap.

give me Yasuo Yamada and Kiyoshi Kobayashi (pbuh).

Kobayashi doing the drat thing in Lupin The Third: The First put a tear in my eye for every line. RIP to a gay anime icon.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also the “Kill James Bond” episode where they watch Castle of Cagliostro with a big Lupin head is hilarious. they all start off talking poo poo about how they actually didnt like the movie based on the criticism that Ghibli movies are more about “world building” and light on actual plot (which, sure, they’re mostly for children). then they try to give the plot outline and keep cracking each other up because the hijinx are just too drat good and the boys were having too much fun teaming up to dunk on Count Pedo. Jigen really does love that anti-tank rifle.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am cordially inviting you all to watch the original 1979 japanese voice track instead of a bad 90s dub or a merely tolerable 00s do-over

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah. I like my 90s dubs. You get some wild poo poo.
some wild (Angel Cop, Black Lion), but mostly just bad/lazy with the rare diamond in the rough (David Hayter in Cagliostro, or Bryan Cranston in Macross Plus).

i mean, WOLF?! whose idea was that?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mister Olympus posted:

Sometimes, unbidden, I remember Sayla's inexplicably nordic accent in the dub of the original gundam movies. Char didn't have anything like it either, totally out of place
lmao i wonder if the dub vocal director even blinked when it’s revealed that they are siblings who were raised together. they clearly just looked at the first scene she was in and said “yeah that girl looks scandinavian. let’s spice this up a bit and see if anyone can do an accent.”

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

Lupin, Lupon, Lupine
yes i’m aware of the etymology. it is an insane creative license to just give a decades-old character a new nickname out of nowhere for exactly one movie

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mister Olympus posted:

I do like the idea of giving the white base crew a few accents, as a choice. It sells a certain star trek vibe. that one was just "whoops"
its the typical level of "not paid enough to care" along with the clear lack of interaction between the original creators and the dub companies that comes with a ton of old dubs. nowadays with simulcasting + sony/netflix budgets, i take it that dubs are more likely to have somebody around from the original production company to tell the dub cast, "hey, maybe make this girl sound more like that guy for reasons you'll discover in the next movie"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Combat Lobster posted:

I'm like 85% sure the Wolf nickname was used in one of the many English dubs for Secret of Mamo too.
Streamline did a few bad lupin dubs

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Now I wanna pull up a gun on some anime exec to finally force them into adapting Cannon God Exaxxion.
it is SUCH a bad sign that the new Gunsmith Cats/Riding Bean hasn’t made it over here yet

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
we’re all fujoshis now

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

Since I can't find a proper Ghost in the Shell thread and I'm pretty sure a show that came out 20 years ago is retro I figured I'd ask here rather than turn the general chat thread into my personal recap space.

I discovered today that there's a compilation film for Stand Alone Complex just titled "The Laughing Man." and another one for 2nd GIG titled "Individual Eleven." I also found out that they've had their dubs done by the Ocean Group. Is it any good as a compilation film or worth the curiosity of hearing David "Megatron" Kaye voicing Batou? Moreover, why would Ocean Group even get the rights to the compilation films if Animaze had already done the TV shows?
if i had to guess, it is because Manga Entertainment and Bandai jointly released the GITS:SAC TV series, but Manga got bought out by Starz/IDT in 2004 right after the second season of SAC but before the compilation OVAs.

Starz/IDT probably didn’t care to license/dub the compilations so Bandai took sole interest of the license for the series and the movies. Since Bandai does a lot of work with Ocean (see also: why Dub Amuro has a canadian accent), they went with them to dub the movie.

Manga/Bandai hired Animaze for The Solid State Society movie which was released in late 2006, after the release of The Laughing Man and Individualist Eleven OVAs, which were just Bandai, who used Ocean. seems like Bandai preferred Ocean but Manga went with Animaze for the joint releases

also, Animaze was on its way to going defunct around 2006. They did GITS:SAC, then Wolf’s Rain, then basically stopped being a going concern after Code Geass in 2008.

to answer your other question, GITS:SAC s1 and s2 are so loving good that you should just watch the original series to maximize the time you get to spend with your friends at Public Security Section 9.

lastly, subs not dubs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the GITS:SAC and Cowboy Bebop are some of the least terrible dubs out there, and thank god for it because i probably watched both on adult swim 3-4 times a week (and often both the “early” and late airings) for the better part of a decade

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
subs not dubs tho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kirbysuperstar posted:

wish you'd unsub from these forums
still cannot believe this dumb gag remains evergreen approximately four decades later. truly Ford v. Chevy but for dorks

anyway, the voice acting performances themselves in Cowboy Bebop and GITS:SAC are about as not awful as you’re gonna get in a dub, but oh man the lip flap sync still makes the transitions sound so unnatural. the weird thing is a lot of the dialogue in GITS is communicated ‘telepathically’ via Cyberbrain Discord. the translation is still clunky, though. i was gonna say they should just use the sub transcript for those parts, but, uh, famously:

Timed By Killshok

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arc Hammer posted:

What was the general take on the think tanks back in the day?
we loved em. there is one particularly tachikoma-heavy dramatic ep later on that had everyone bawling

e: wait do they call them think tanks in the dub? i saw probably 500 episodes of SAC on adult swim and always remember them called tachikomas in that, too

FilthyImp posted:

Tachikomas we're good and added some fun into the series and also got good characterization when for example one sacrificed itself.

I think maybe the cel shading was the only negative, aside from the cutesy voices?
i haven’t seen that ep in at least a decade and I still remember how much it had me hosed up

i recall ADTRW generally liking the cutesy voices. the heavily-armed AI spider tank having a genki affect was a big part of the incongruous charm. it’s a Boston Dynamics Killbot with Baby Voice. Great bit.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 7, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Good soup! posted:

Mushroom Samba was entertaining and the way they handled Ed in her final appearance was great
Hard Luck Woman is the best ep in a series full of great episodes, and probably one of the best 24 minutes in the entire animated medium. poo poo is exquisitely sad

better subbed, tho. “Bye Bye” :qq:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
purple-haired majors, man.

e: mass naked child events

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 8, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
currently having lunch at New York Grill, as featured in 2019’s “City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes.” posting about it here because my lovely fiancée rightfully does not care about my dork bullshit

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 8, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Now that's cool! XYZ

I'm still watching Slam Dunk, which rules. And on Dragon Ball about to get into the second tournament arc, after the Baba bit. On City Hunter, I'm on City Hunter 2! And by on it I mean I watched two eps of it last year, but I'll get back on it, yessir.
i went to Nakano Broadway afterwards and ran into a City Hunter pop-up shop between visiting a high-end cel store and look at second-hand watch stores. it was me, my fiancée, and a dozen middle-aged japanese ladies buying bags full of Ryo Saeba merch. you absolutely love to see it.

will be posting my tchotchkes when i get out of this incredibly deep bathtub.

e:

belated hbd

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 27, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kingtheninja posted:

The previous mention of lodoss war got me posting the op from the heroic knight series because Holy poo poo I forgot how amazing it is. Really wish there was a hq version of the show to go with the ova blu ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgz76YKHHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-zihBIsTFE
Maaya Rules

sb hermit posted:

in what place does lost universe end up?
[fart noise]

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell yeah it is about time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pootybutt posted:

The way, in early Bebop, how Mai Yamane sings, "and then you said you were embarRASSED", has lived in my head paying rent in dividends forever. Queen poo poo.
or some

thingfrenchlikedat

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.
that's just Time Dilation - it's real and it's fantastic

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

My Gunbuster BD's on its way. :toot: I've never actually seen it
what

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

It's just insane that Latin America got much better material to work with.

They really were like "The US? No one does dubs there who cares"
back then, a license for latin american distribution was probably a few hundred bucks, and hiring VAs was probably even less. get an english->spanish translation from US VHS fansubs and you’ve got a business model!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1666514529214402561

Always heard great things about it, the only flaw is maybe it gets repetitive?
jesus christ i can’t believe stuff we were talking about in ADTRW as it was airing is “retro” now but yeah cormartie RULES

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://youtu.be/nLdeQHeuHck

i hope they keep making these for as long as akira kamiya draws breath

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Cat's Eye sure, why not!
that cameo was one of my favorite parts of Shinjuku Private Eyes (next to the brunch at the New York Grill)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell, $200 is cheaper than what I paid to import them all with cdjapan - and i didn't even get a fancy box!

Nipponophile posted:

They wanted to see how many commitments they could get for a full series set retailing at $6000, iirc.
so like $55 an episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently their Bubblegum Crisis re-release was really good? I didn't know about it until it was too late.
can confirm that the new HD blu-ray transfers are fantastic. i haven’t opened my AnimEgo box set tho since only console casuals have blu-ray players