Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oldschool anime, huh? Howzabout a 1969 classic, The Flying Phantom Ship.
(Edited from a post in C/D from a few months ago.)

This was a weird little curiosity from Toei. It's an animated feature that's mostly a daikaiju flic, although it plays at being a ghost story, a James Bond style spy flick, and an alien deep sea creature invasion story at points. What's maybe the most notable thing about it was the names attached to it. Shotaro Ishimori is credited with the original idea. It was directed by Hiroshi Ikeda, who'd go on to head R&D for Nintendo (!) during the NES days. It also have Hayao Miyazaki doing some key animation, notably the giant robot fight.

Sadly, it really doesn't have much to offer as a film besides some phenomenally painted backgrounds, but it is an interesting curiosity with a pre-Mazinger giant robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Can't speak for the 4k release, but the Robot Carnival bluray is insanely gorgeous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The live action Zeiram film is also really excellent. I should probably track down the sequel one of these days.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Picked up a tone of stuff I had been waiting on. The J9 shows going out of print before I could snag a copy (and then ballooning in price) triggered my FOMO more than I'd like to admit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The release of Braiger came and went, apparently because no one bought it, so evidently not every title was a hit. Baldios too, for that matter.

Kind of tragic for me because I'm probably the few people who was actually interested, but I put off picking it up just a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you want the good anime replacement opening theme songs, you've got to go to Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nbjCsuzl-8&t=948s