Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I look at it this way: I have a limited time per week to watch television. 5 hours is about my limit for wrestling on a regular basis, so I’m going to watch the more popular but slightly inferior product as my friends also watch and it gives us something to talk about.

And - Yeah, I still record all the AEW Shows and watch most of the Motyc voted matches if I have some downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Perhaps it's just a promotion issue. I rarely hear about AEW being in town and wouldn't know if I didn't watch the show. It's also not a family friendly show like WWE is. Any time I've gone to wwe shows in the past five years they're covered in huge families sitting together and buying mountains of merch.

Still, I would like to see a real study on attendance to know the reality. The ticket prices have kept me from going that's for sure. Alot of it is the absurd fees ticketmaster adds on though.

Also still curious how many people watch on fite weekly. I haven't had cable in almost twenty years and likely wouldn't watch if not for fite. It sure feels like alot, but maybe it isn't and that group is just the most passionate and loud. I don't think I've ever seen numbers for that outside of the PPVs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sir Tonk posted:

Perhaps it's just a promotion issue. I rarely hear about AEW being in town and wouldn't know if I didn't watch the show. It's also not a family friendly show like WWE is. Any time I've gone to wwe shows in the past five years they're covered in huge families sitting together and buying mountains of merch.

Still, I would like to see a real study on attendance to know the reality. The ticket prices have kept me from going that's for sure. Alot of it is the absurd fees ticketmaster adds on though.

Also still curious how many people watch on fite weekly. I haven't had cable in almost twenty years and likely wouldn't watch if not for fite. It sure feels like alot, but maybe it isn't and that group is just the most passionate and loud. I don't think I've ever seen numbers for that outside of the PPVs.

There is a question of what avenues of local promotion can you tap into. Not challenging you or anyone in particular, but it's a decent question. Focus more on social media? Hope there's a local radio station that people listen to? Billboards, bus ads, video game tie ins???

Hell if I know. I just thought it was cool when Lance Archer was on a DFW radio station puffing up AEW before their first trip here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean whats the appeal of aew. whats the sell. i get the appeal of it to hardcore internet wrestling fans, but what about it would make it appeal to those families that go to WWE shows. theyve never really found a brand identity thats that strong to make that pitch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know for the Vancouver show which ended up with a decent crowd I saw signs in the arena and around it back in January when I went to a Canucks game so that might have helped a bit. Local promotion still seems like something they're behind on just cause they had to build the infrastructure and also being the number 2 company. Plus you know not having any matches to promote ahead of time. They don't need the whole card but probably 1 or two would help!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Endorph posted:

i mean whats the appeal of aew. whats the sell. i get the appeal of it to hardcore internet wrestling fans, but what about it would make it appeal to those families that go to WWE shows. theyve never really found a brand identity thats that strong to make that pitch.

They should have gone after young college party crowd. When they were fresh and hot why they weren't doing college party Nitro style shows is beyond me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For a moment they had the video crowd especially the fight game side through Kenny and Cole but I don't think they have that anymore either

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like the identity they have is the best wrestling and they have some great stuff but there are great matches around the world almost everywhere these days. And while they don't sell near as many tickets New Japan can promote itself as seeing authentic Japanese wrestling (they just suck at US local promotion) and Lucha promotions can market itself as being Lucha (and they can do big business in markets by promoting to Spanish fans)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

They should have gone after young college party crowd. When they were fresh and hot why they weren't doing college party Nitro style shows is beyond me.

they were exclusively touring college arenas for their first year pre-covid

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Endorph posted:

i mean whats the appeal of aew. whats the sell

WWE but they don't actively hate you.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

The modern college crowd at a Nitro college party sounds really funny

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

The modern college crowd at a Nitro college party sounds really funny

Dynamite cancelled due to protesters encamping in the ring.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Endorph posted:

What's the WWE brand identity that appeal to those families though? I think it's just a legacy thing of having been around since a kid's grandpa's been watching it than an actual strong brand identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The family friendly reputation for WWE is very much despite itself. It's in the same league as the NFL's family friendly reputation. Earned through existing through generations while in practice it's mostly just exposing your kid to some weird stuff.