Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

a dumb moron posted:

Yeah it makes AEW more valuable, but if I am reading between the lines, it seems that WBD doesn’t really have the money lying around like it seems.

They do if they lose the NBA, but if they pay through the nose to keep the NBA, that's less money for AEW. It's also possible WBD goes with a smaller package of games, possibly without conference finals.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Basically if WBD loses the NBA, it's
+ They're not spending a billion on the NBA, so, more money lying around.
- They probably have to reduce carriage fees, so, less money coming in.

I wonder what NBC gains from this, it sounds like it's just a wild overpay.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

MJeff posted:

NBC misses that old 90s NBA kids show and they want to recreate the Michael Jordan magic.

The big deal in all of the world of streaming is live sports right now. I do not think that back libraries matter as much as getting live sports.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah but we're talking about the C package, here.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MJeff posted:

I assume this is Universal deciding the WWE Network money is better put towards the NBA than renewing that deal, especially with Netflix having shown how willing they'll be to outbid Universal on the WWE Network renewal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

More desperation to build Peacock probably.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Dynamite/Collision on Showtime and Rampage on TVLand is gonna slap

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

blunt posted:

I assume this is Universal deciding the WWE Network money is better put towards the NBA than renewing that deal, especially with Netflix having shown how willing they'll be to outbid Universal on the WWE Network renewal.

That deal was one billion over five years. This is 2.5 billion a year. Granted WWE would've wanted an increase, but man.

MassRafTer posted:

That's kinda what I'm feeling. Everybody hated the NFL games on Peacock but they watched them, so. Who knows.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
WBD go all in on the WNBA so we can see Caitlin Clark punch Stokley's lights out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

WBD going all in on the WNBA is how we get Mick Foley in AEW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So what happens to Inside the NBA? I guess there's nothing saying it has to be on a network that actually airs any games. Unless there is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pylons posted:

So what happens to Inside the NBA? I guess there's nothing saying it has to be on a network that actually airs any games. Unless there is.

I'd imagine the first thing NBC does is throw a poo poo ton of money at trying to bring that crew to their coverage. WBD has a match clause so it's also possible NBC is just jacking up the price knowing that WBD kinda has to match it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Truther Vandross posted:

I'd imagine the first thing NBC does is throw a poo poo ton of money at trying to bring that crew to their coverage.

I think WBD has them on long term contracts.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah it's this, they keep throwing good money after bad to justify not licensing their own content to Netflix et al.

Pylons posted:

Seems like the kind of thing Amazon would pay through the nose for (just like their TNF coverage).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pylons posted:

Sure, but a lot of times in situations like this, those get bought out by other outlets because the network is basically just pissing money away retaining those deals.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Pylons posted:

https://www.si.com/media/2022/10/17/tnt-announces-extensions-for-all-four-inside-the-nba-personalities

https://www.si.com/media/2022/10/17/charles-barkley-tnt-agree-contract-per-report

Barkley signed an extension through 2032, and since Shaq/Ernie/Kenny were extended at the same time it seems reasonable to assume that they're signed for the next eight years as well

it'd be a very Warner move to give these guys big-money deals and then lose NBA rights so that's what I suspect will happen

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1785345004342480962

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

charles barkley on that hulk hogan deal

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wow their plan went off exactly how they hoped it would and it made sense to save the swerve promo for saturday with the nba lead-in? what are the odds

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think I already know the answer but why was Alfred Konuwa posting the fast nationals for Collision this week? I know because I got about a half dozen "SUGGESTED POSTS" on Facebook that showed Collision only did about 490k viewers.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think I already know the answer but why was Alfred Konuwa posting the fast nationals for Collision this week? I know because I got about a half dozen "SUGGESTED POSTS" on Facebook that showed Collision only did about 490k viewers.

Did he post the demo as well? If not, there's your answer.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Barry Bluejeans posted:

https://www.si.com/media/2022/10/17/tnt-announces-extensions-for-all-four-inside-the-nba-personalities

https://www.si.com/media/2022/10/17/charles-barkley-tnt-agree-contract-per-report

Barkley signed an extension through 2032, and since Shaq/Ernie/Kenny were extended at the same time it seems reasonable to assume that they're signed for the next eight years as well

it'd be a very Warner move to give these guys big-money deals and then lose NBA rights so that's what I suspect will happen

IIRC there were outs in the contracts if WBD did lose the NBA rights. Ernie does other things for Turner which makes me believe that he won't leave/be let out even if they lose the NBA. Charles has the CNN show and NCAA Tournament but I can't believe that he would make what he's making now with just those two. Kenny also has the NCAA Tournament and Shaq is on NBA TV which is also broadcast out of Turner's studios in Atlanta.

At the same time, Inside's magic is the production staff which has foistered an environment which lets the crew riff and be themselves, while being able to mess with them at the same time. I can't think of any other analyst on TV who allowes themselves to get dunked on as much as Barkley does, and the Shaqtin'/Gone Fishing stuff may go by the wayside at another show who either wants to be more serious or the NBA itself cracks down under the guise of not wanting to look foolish in any situation, which is more of an NFL tactic but you never know.

Is it possible that either Amazon or NBC pays out the nose to get all four of them, plus whomever else from Turner that they deem essential? Sure, but it's also as likely that they go their separate ways and it's the end of an era for a Hall of Fame show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just remember when this went in the other direction, the NHL going from NBC to TNT, the NHL felt like a dull, boring product on NBC and TNT gave it a much needed injection of life with their studio show and the idea of the NBA going the opposite direction worries me a bit.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
on the other hand, if nbc wants to minimize the "back in our day" bullshit and put more respect on the game being played today, I'd welcome that too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I could also see the mix of being on streaming and broadcast TV itself being more appealing to the NBA given how cable is going. But than it's Peacock and I'm not sure any amount of sports can save it when people will want it to make money

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

NBC misses that old 90s NBA kids show and they want to recreate the Michael Jordan magic.

Just put all seasons of Hang Time on Peacock if that’s the case!

City Guys too, just because.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coaaab posted:

on the other hand, if nbc wants to minimize the "back in our day" bullshit and put more respect on the game being played today, I'd welcome that too

Yeah ever since Shaq got added to inside the nba I've watched it less and less

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cannot stress enough that NBC as a network is dogass and the likelihood they'll improve any sport they carry is extremely low

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The presentation of playoff hockey on TNT/TBS has been chefs kiss emoji

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
SNF is generally “fine” because NBC gets good games, but all their other sports presentations (Hockey, Olympics, College FB) are usually complete rear end. This seems like lighting money on fire for them for a C package but whatever. All the streaming services continue to light money on fire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad the Panthers beat the vile Lightning so I can watch Dynamite on Wednesday

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't watch a lot of the NBA but I like TNT's presentation when I do and would be bummed if they lose it. The NHL coverage has been good and while I don't know how much control they have over March Madness vs CBS, that's always good too.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad the Panthers beat the vile Lightning so I can watch Dynamite on Wednesday

rip stamkos

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The Barkley CNN show ended. As with everything WBD does, it was killed before it could do anything. I saw this as someone who actually signed up and was ready to pay for CNN+ (as a social studies teacher, I saw some value) before it was cancelled 5 days later.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The Barkley CNN show ended. As with everything WBD does, it was killed before it could do anything. I saw this as someone who actually signed up and was ready to pay for CNN+ (as a social studies teacher, I saw some value) before it was cancelled 5 days later.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cnn-king-charles-ends-limited-series-1235874249/

I imagine part of it was the Playoffs forcing Charles to talk about basketball more than once a week, plus he ain’t gonna work during his summer vacation in lovely Galveston.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdhj_uvmOfY&hd=1

Alvarez sure is spending alot of his time making sure noone thinks the ratings are ever good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seemed like a pretty fair analysis to me. It was a normal Collision number with a big lead-in that didn't last longer than a few minutes. The only thing I would say is that relative to the competition for the night, "a normal Collision number" is pretty good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

to be fair as well, I've seen him do this kind of analysis a bunch of times for WWE. This is a very typical segment he's done for years and years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's not very good because he's very bad at supporting his arguments and it's ratings talk that boils down to "number good, could be better, they're probably ok with it but want it to be better too" but I don't think he's really unfairly pushing that the numbers are actually bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hell yeah Sting

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1785693767594287531