Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mag. Dump. Your. Friends.

e:
He has the feats because he wanted bombs and things. He doesn't want to be a magic guy, he wants to be a mad scientist blowing things up. But it turns out he hardly ever uses the bombs. Maybe a couple per day. Because he likes his guns more than his bombs. Which made alchemical ammunition basically free bonus damage to every shot he was taking anyway. Still only burn another 2 infused reagents because how many bullets can you use in a day? 20 Ooze ammunition is pretty much a full day's supply. Which at level 7 left him with several infused reagents and nothing urgent to spend them on.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mag. Dump. Your. Friends.

a merciful rune lets anybody mag dump their friends, no class feats needed!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you have an alchemical shootist, look up life shot. https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1899

Not that great under normal circumstances. But if you have infused reagents and advanced alchemy, during your daily preparations you make 2 batches of stuff from each set of reagents. Ammunition comes in batches of 10. So you can make 2 healing elixirs or 20 healing ammunition for the same cost.

Great for emergency healing for a pal that is way across the map. Or between fights you can helpfully mag dump into your friends.

if by alchemical shootist you mean munitions crafter, the 10 bullets for 1 reagent only applies to level 0 ammunition. any fancy alchemical ammunition uses the normal rules for advanced alchemy, which is two items

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Red Metal posted:

if by alchemical shootist you mean munitions crafter, the 10 bullets for 1 reagent only applies to level 0 ammunition. any fancy alchemical ammunition uses the normal rules for advanced alchemy, which is two items

Oh dang. Well, it's funny so I'm never going to tell him.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Red Metal posted:

oh, lmao

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm confused about materials and ranged weapons. Do you silver a bow or make silver arrows? I'm looking at GM Core and haven't been able to answer my question.

e: I was looking on the Materials and ammunition page and not the Precious Material Weapons page. 10 ammunition for base price of material.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

atelier morgan posted:

the amount of healing is really quite poor. the two feats spent to be able to do that could get kineticist dedication into fresh produce and heal for 5d4+19 (avg31.5) by the time munitions crafter can make lesser life shot and get 3d4+3 (avg10.5). same two actions (one to attack and interact to active the ammo, versus one to cast the produce and one to consume on the part of the person healed) for combat use.

your infused reagents are almost certainly better used on almost anything else, 10.5 for 2 actions at level 9 (or 2.5 for two actions before that!!!) is just not worth using in a fight; and outside a fight there are better options (including just, medicine training with ward medic and continual recovery).

if you just want a tiny bit of healing to stabilize someone who is dying at range cantrip cards of stabilize can be used by anybody

Stabilize, the cantrip, leaves a character unconscious at 0 hit points. Shooting someone even with a level 2 life shot for 1d4 health should make the character conscious again (AFAIK).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

Stabilize, the cantrip, leaves a character unconscious at 0 hit points. Shooting someone even with a level 2 life shot for 1d4 health should make the character conscious again (AFAIK).

bringing them back wounded and prone next to whatever just killed them with single digit hp is probably worse, most of the time. i do love spending two actions to make an enemy spend an action but maybe not when it's to make an enemy effortlessly down my friend again and maybe even put them straight to dying 3

could be useful to have one permanent life shot around for cases where it is better though, not expensive

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 24, 2024

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

atelier morgan posted:

bringing them back wounded and prone next to whatever just killed them with single digit hp is probably worse, most of the time. i do love spending two actions to make an enemy spend an action but maybe not when it's to make an enemy effortlessly down my friend again and maybe even put them straight to dying 3

could be useful to have one permanent life shot around for cases where it is better though, not expensive

Yeah, I think the big takeaway should not be "Life Shot bad" and it should be "Munitions Machinist Infused Reagents Life Shot bad"; just spend some gold on an appropriate level round or three for emergencies.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Do you folks foresee any problems with letting an Alchemical Science Investigator load quick alchemy items into this piece of gear? https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1975

Technically the infused consumables are supposed to decay if they're not used immediately, but it's a pretty neat item and it doesn't seem like it would be disruptive to just handwave that if the mutagen is loaded into the device before it disappears it will be preserved until the end of the day.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think there's nothing specifically wrong with it.
You're giving a bonus action because they don't have to make it and drink it. But they give up flexibility.

E: I would allow this for real alchemist but not a Barb who took a feat in alchemist because there's a single mutagen he wants to inject every day.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 25, 2024

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I think there's nothing specifically wrong with it.
You're giving a bonus action because they don't have to make it and drink it. But they give up flexibility.

E: I would allow this for real alchemist but not a Barb who took a feat in alchemist because there's a single mutagen he wants to inject every day.

Alchemist archetype gets advanced alchemy and stuff made with advanced alchemy does not expire at the end of the round so the barb making mutagens would in fact work with this.

Unfortunately it would not be particularly good since you can't make mutagens of your level with the archetype.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 25, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I would allow it. They get a couple free actions, but pathfinder has such a great item system I bend the rules to encourage my players to look at all the consumables. Mutagens have a downside already and the item cuts their duration in half.

If the player has a specific mutagen they want to use I would probably just let them bulk craft them at a discount and then let them use quick alchemy for any situations that a different consumable is needed. For classes more dependent on consumables I give 2 for 1 deals.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gurragadon posted:

I would allow it. They get a couple free actions, but pathfinder has such a great item system I bend the rules to encourage my players to look at all the consumables. Mutagens have a downside already and the item cuts their duration in half.

If the player has a specific mutagen they want to use I would probably just let them bulk craft them at a discount and then let them use quick alchemy for any situations that a different consumable is needed. For classes more dependent on consumables I give 2 for 1 deals.

I find mutagens really disappointing to use effectively until they get the 1h duration at higher levels.

The collar fixes that nicely and makes them feel much better.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

They do seem to be in a weird place until the duration is an hour. It's like a character who wanted to use mutagens would have to craft them separately and then walk around in exploration mode with a mutagen in their hand so it would only be an action to use when combat starts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That's what the buckler hand is for

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im secretly getting all my players onto PF2E so that when the starfinder 2E playtest/game comes out its a quick transition into that. Im jonesing to do some sci-fi DMing lately

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is there any reason to get any of the remastered cores if I have the 2e core book?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is there any reason to get any of the remastered cores if I have the 2e core book?

Yes. They're remastered and updated.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There's good updates, especially comparing the original core book to the Player Core. There's just a lot of little improvements in the classes that would be annoying to add in without having an updated pdf to look at, and it's where most of the meaningful changes are. The same will probably be true for Player Core 2 vs APG.

Still, past that? Monster Core has cool changes but the amount of new stuff makes it a bit of a hard sell if you have the original Bestiary, and an even harder sell if you already have Bestiary 2 and 3. If you have the Gamemastery Guide, GM Core is only useful in how it fits into how Player Core and Monster Core changed their layouts. They're unessential and it's easy to just find the new/changed stuff on Archives of Nethys.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

As a bonus you can get the super cool sketch variant covers

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The GM Core feels the least essential, especially once they ditched the NPC section. Still not bad if you don't already have it.

Player Core does have enough changes that I think it's worth it for the updated classes, particularly The Witch.

Monster Core I do think has enough cool stuff -- the new Dragons, the Scamps, the Sweet Hag, the updated Shadows/Ghouls/Genies/Elementals, the Hyrengar (Duergar), and such. If you already have Bestiary 1-3 I wouldn't blame you for not, but I was able to run an entire Level 4 homebrew using only monsters from the new Core and did not feel starved of options at all.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I am looking for some ideas about how to handle Recall Knowledge.

For context, my campaigns are full transparency: the players know the monsters' HP, AC, weaknesses, features, etc at all times. We've played this way since 3.5 D&D and it is what we like.

Obviously though, that limits the effectiveness of Recall Knowledge and some related skills that classes are assumed to frequently use with their actions.

One initial idea is that monsters don't have vulnerabilities at all until added by the Knowledge check (to sort of simulate knowing to go after a Saurian 's tail and so on), but I feel like that's probably overcentralizing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like that idea and it will work in a lot of cases. I would add similar things like environmental context clues like "you notice the lean-to looks rusty and could fall to a good kick" or "you remember something you overheard about how to deal with these creatures -- throw salt on the floor" or whatever.

It's going to go pretty off-book and require more GM agility and player acceptance of conceit but that's kind-of all you have left after full transparency (not a knock on that style).

The other option is to really make it lore-dependent and have these monsters really allude to/clarify plot points: "you notice that the cultist has a lock of hair from the tavern owner's daughter in their belt" or "the beast has a limp in their leg that matches the snares you saw that ranger lay outside of town" kind-of stuff.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Xalidur posted:

I am looking for some ideas about how to handle Recall Knowledge.

For context, my campaigns are full transparency: the players know the monsters' HP, AC, weaknesses, features, etc at all times. We've played this way since 3.5 D&D and it is what we like.

Obviously though, that limits the effectiveness of Recall Knowledge and some related skills that classes are assumed to frequently use with their actions.

One initial idea is that monsters don't have vulnerabilities at all until added by the Knowledge check (to sort of simulate knowing to go after a Saurian 's tail and so on), but I feel like that's probably overcentralizing.

That reminds me of the thaumaturge ability to exploit vulnerability. More specifically the exploiting personal antithesis.

quote:

Personal Antithesis You improvise a custom weakness on a creature by forcefully presenting and empowering a piece of esoterica that repels it on an individual level; for instance, against a tyrant, you might procure a broken chain that once held a captive. This causes the target creature, and only the target creature, to gain a weakness against your unarmed and weapon Strikes equal to 2 + half your level.

You could apply this to all recall knowledge checks but I'm not sure if that would be too strong in its default form because it's a central ability of the thaumaturge. Maybe using the thaumaturge dedication ability, glimpse vulnerablity, would be a way to do it with some scaling.

quote:

Glimpse Vulnerability [one-action] (esoterica, manipulate); Frequency once per round; Requirement You are holding your implement; Effect You glimpse a hidden vulnerability and then strengthen it to aid you. Select a creature you can see. Until you Glimpse Vulnerability again, that target gains weakness 2 against your unarmed and weapon Strikes.

Edit: I think a way to simulate the critical failure effect of recall knowledge giving wrong information is to make the weakness a resistance for that round instead. Unless your players deliberately will attack immunities for role playing purposes.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 27, 2024

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

3 Action Economist posted:

Yes. They're remastered and updated.

Cool, thanks.

Also, I was thinking of doing an Eye of Dread mini-campaign based mainly around Oprak, maybe working with the lore a bit to make it more "a nation of the outcasts" and noble than the official lore. Has anyone done anything like that? Any advice for someone trying to run that kind of campaign?. It'll be my first time GMing Pathfinder.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

As a bonus you can get the super cool sketch variant covers

God drat those look beautiful. On the other hand, I heavily dislike the leather cover version

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So does anyone have the Tian Xia book yet?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks to both posters mind the walrus and gurragadon. I like both sets of suggestions.

I have a player who may be choosing Thaumaturge; if he does that I may shy away from those ideas, but if he doesn't then I think the Glimpse Vulnerability model has a lot of promise.

I'm coming off of many years of 5E DMing and just winging it so I'm trying to proceed more judiciously here like I did in the 4E days, though certain mechanics (secret rolls, precision immunity) are probably getting axed anyways because they don't fit the expectations of my table.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

Yeah. It’s great.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hope at some point we get an 11-20 AP set in Valash Raj.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah. It’s great.

I hate how hard it seems to be to get the books in the UK, it's always so slow.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Taear posted:

Oh yeah it's fantastic. Great variety of stuff to flesh out a campaign there.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Is it worth getting a PDF or physical copy or will most of it end up on Archives of Nethys anyhow?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clerical Terrors posted:

Is it worth getting a PDF or physical copy or will most of it end up on Archives of Nethys anyhow?

It's a lore book, there is nothing in it to add to nethys aside from a couple of bestiary entries

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok one thing I will say, there was some grumbling about casters not being as good or fun from the people in my group that played wiz/sorc in dnd, but now that i've got them properly set up with scrolls, staffs and a couple wands, that grumbling has basically disappeared. you are able to do WAY more casting than dnd when you've got all that poo poo.

its weird coming from dnd where staffs and scrolls and poo poo arent as important. i totally admit I was kind of ignoring them because of that, but the more i read its like yeah, every caster needs to have that poo poo. my group is level 5 so being able to go up to 6 charges on a staff from the wizard burning a level 3 slot is dope.

having a wand of healing is really nice, just dropping that big aoe heal for free basically.

im really in love with pf2e

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Taear posted:

I hate how hard it seems to be to get the books in the UK, it's always so slow.

At least you get them! It's very hard to find PF books in Spain, and almost impossible to get them in English (which I prefer because that's the kind of nerd I am).

I actually take advantage of any trip I take to try and find pathfinder books. Scored pocket guns & gear and dark archive last week in Amsterdam!

Amazon.es has the Tian Xia book export at 100€ before shipping :ohdear: I'm almost considering it, too.

Edit: anyone that has the book already: any cool parts you want to share? I've seen some of the art and it's excellent (the cover being an exception)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There’s a full write up of the hobgoblin kingdom of Kaoling and it’s great because hobgoblins are neat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

There’s a full write up of the hobgoblin kingdom of Kaoling and it’s great because hobgoblins are neat.

and also a writeup on the second hobgoblin nation Rahk Lo that's underground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clerical Terrors posted:

The Bestiary and likely the Test of Virtue will end up on Nethys. The rest is lore. Physical or PDF would be good, depending on your needs. I ended up with both on subscription so I can research at my desk while also having the ability to quick-check on my PC during session-building/play.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Edit: anyone that has the book already: any cool parts you want to share? I've seen some of the art and it's excellent (the cover being an exception)
I haven't gotten too deep into the regional dive, which is the majority of the book, but the bits on religion and creation myths are excellent and really flesh out what were previously spreadsheet entries in the LO Gods book.

The Tests of Virtue are also excellent ways to earn Feats and can be used as the spine of a session in and of themselves.

Browsing the regions are similar to other LO Books -- World Guide, Impossible Lands, etc. -- so I plan to browse and then zero in on a region when running a short campaign.

I wish I had something very specifically cool to share, and will eventually, but right now I'm still in overview territory.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 28, 2024