Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

BoosterDuck posted:

█▀█ █▄░█ █▀▀
█▄█ █░▀█ ██▄

█▀█ █ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀
█▀▀ █ ██▄ █▄▄ ██▄

█ █▀
█ ▄█

█▄▄ ▄▀█ █▀▄
█▄█ █▀█ █▄▀

One Piece is... dad?

Dad????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The World Inferno posted:

One Piece is... dad?

Dad????

One piece is 6 AD

Guess we know how Jesus dies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Bold of you to think that One Piece will even be over when the manga is (I wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to start a Boruto/Yashahime style sequel series later about a new generation of pirates)

Oda deserves a rest. Let him run an anthology series where he occasionally drops in for some chapters while other authors do stuff in the same world or the same characters (i wanna see a series about the ramen CM straw hats) and possibly in canon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Let the man see his family

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Oda deserves a rest. Let him run an anthology series where he occasionally drops in for some chapters while other authors do stuff in the same world or the same characters (i wanna see a series about the ramen CM straw hats) and possibly in canon

I never said Oda himself would be doing said continuation to be fair, just that it’s probably going to happen at some point with or without him

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I mean that's literally what Boruto is. Kishimoto is listed as a co-writer but he doesn't draw it and wiki says he "supervised" from 2016 to 2020 so probably his work load was a fraction of what it was when he was the running Naruto.

I bet Oda could set up a situation where it's more similar to the movies where he gives story notes and makes designs and approves poo poo but isn't drawing 20 pages a week himself and is instead spending way more time with his family.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
let us all suffer together

https://twitter.com/50shadesofHelio/status/1561832256406183937

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some weird choices there. And only 3 Luffys? Madness

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there's four luffys, base, new world, gear 4, and gear 5

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sadi is definitely a weird inclusion. Replace them with Demaro Black so that we have 5 Luffys

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

there's four luffys, base, new world, gear 4, and gear 5

I missed Gear 4.

That's an appropriate number of Luffys

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No Foxy?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Too overpowered, the only way it's ever balanced is if it's a mirror match

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God Gear 4 looks like poo poo. Just top to bottom, there really was nothing good about Dressarossa but Ussop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gear 4 looks bad but the moment with luffy smashing the mirror to 1v1 katakuri was kino so it led to some good stuff

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

Just top to bottom, there really was nothing good about Dressarossa but Ussop.
This is Señor Pink erasure and I won't stand for it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I hope Luffy punches the one piece and sends it flying.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

God Gear 4 looks like poo poo. Just top to bottom, there really was nothing good about Dressarossa but Ussop.

:hmmwrong:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rody One Half posted:

Knowing what we know now, I kind of wonder if Gear 4 was a last-minute addition to draw things out until the Nika-Nika reveal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Knowing what we know now, I kind of wonder if Gear 4 was a last-minute addition to draw things out until the Nika-Nika reveal.

Gear 4 as like, a thing that always existed in Luffy’s toolkit since Chapter 600 has obvious problems when you scrutinize it (dealing with the end of FI, Film Z), but at the same time it stretches the limits (heh) of what rubber should reasonably be able to do which is supposed to be a Gear 5 hint so it could go either way.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Katakuri is a weird character now because like, he's treated as Luffy's Vergil, but with Big Mom and Kaidou in the rearview mirror he just feels like a hanging thread who's been not so much left hanging as completely left in the dust (ditto the much older Sort Of A Rival, Smoker).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is he? He was pretty great fight (overall) but I don't see stuff portraying him as a longstanding rival to Luffy or anything like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my theory is that if big mom is actually dead-dead i assume that katakuri will take control of the big mom pirates and come help luffy in the final battle against blackbeard or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's just a cool rival guy who will probably show up in a minor role later on to help the gang. (Same will probably happen with cool old-school rival guy Smoker)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's just a cool rival guy who will probably show up in a minor role later on to help the gang. (Same will probably happen with cool old-school rival guy Smoker)

if the Void Century really gets uncovered as something to upheave the Celestial Dragon’s rule it’s gonna be rad seeing Smoker team up with his old pal Dragon again to help Luffy oust them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my game theory rn is that blackbeard is hanging out on xebec's old island, it sure seems like every member of xebec's crew is dead rn, and he had a really strong interest in getting moriah on side. presumably because he wants his fruit, not for moriah's dashing good looks. 'showing up in the final battle to heroically handle shadow zombie kaido' would be a reasonable enough deployment of the dangling yamato thread, and you could do something similar with katakuri and a shadow zombie big mom.

heck moriah already shadow zombie'd up a member of xebec's crew. remember john? everyones favorite one piece character, john.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Is he? He was pretty great fight (overall) but I don't see stuff portraying him as a longstanding rival to Luffy or anything like that

He beats Luffy in the end and has a very similar set of powers, I think you can call him a Vergil.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure Luffy beat him

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No I don't think he actually did? A draw maybe? Whole Cake was forever ago idr

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nah Luffy won.

E: I think he lost like at least twice earlier but then they had a round 3 and Luffy won

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ending of the fight iirc is that they both collapse and then get back up and talk a bit, and then katakuri goes back down while luffy stays on his feet. so its very close but yeah luffy is the one on his feet at the end

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Big Beautiful One PIece!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The best thing about the fight with Katakuri being so even, so drawn out, and so grueling, was that he was just a henchman. If Luffy could barely break even with him after all that. Surely fighting Big Mom or Kaido wold be entirely hopeless! It did a ton to hype up the Kaido fight, and the Worst Generation vs Emperor showdown in general.

Even though Kaido was beaten decisively by Gear 5 out of nowhere, even before that Luffy was trading blows on Kaido's level with the conqueror-haki-infused punches. Even if Luffy probably wasn't quite able to take out Kaido without Gear 5, he got within sight of a victory, and he was ultimately taken out by CP0 so we don't actually know for sure how he would have stacked up against Kaido, even if it didn't look good. To get to that level after what he went through with Katakuri feels like a lot of growth in a really visceral way, and is great payoff for all his advanced haki training with that yakuza dude in the prison.

The absolute tortuous length of the Katakuri fight is really what sets the groundwork for all that. There are some really satisfying power level dynamics in the battle against the Emperors. It's really good.

And then Gear 5 shows up. So :shrug:

(Gear 5 is really cool, but it's the most awkward departure from an otherwise exciting and dramatic power level curve.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Julias posted:

One piece is 6 AD

Guess we know how Jesus dies.

And here I thought he would just suplex our sins instead :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

the ending of the fight iirc is that they both collapse and then get back up and talk a bit, and then katakuri goes back down while luffy stays on his feet. so its very close but yeah luffy is the one on his feet at the end

It's even closer than that actually because Luffy is crawling on ground and no longer able to stand on his own

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The biggest thing I remember about the end of the Katakuri fight is Luffy using his hat to cover Katakuri's mouth so his secret stays safe.

Which is pretty cool of him imo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rody One Half posted:

nah gear 4 owns, the man is a basketball

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gear 4 is cool because you’re excited for another exciting anime powerup, and then it’s that, even Doflamingo loses it and just laughs, and suddenly he blinked and he’s 4km away on the other side of town buried deep into a building.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gear 4 luffy in Untitled One Piece FG is a stance character that switches between rushdown and zoning between bound and snakeman forms.

Seconding that gear 4 and especially boundman owns and is so incredibly luffy. One piece gold does it some real justice.
And you have snakeman for the overly serious funhaters.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

After being jerked around for almost 25 loving years that last island had better blow our loving minds oda