Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personal theory about the One Piece that I'm sure has been floated before, but just getting it out here while I'm mulling over it:

It's One Piece, the story we're reading right now, sent back in time to before Roger's era. That's why they were laughing, even though they were reading all about the World Government's atrocities (because they're reading about how it would end in shame and ridicule for them a couple of decades down the line), and how he knew for a fact he was too early (because he had yet to kickstart the Great Age of Piracy that would ultimately bring down the World Government). We know there's a fruit that can send people and objects forwards in time, so it's not impossible that there's another fruit (or the same fruit, fully mastered) that could do the reverse.

I'm also wondering if it's possible that the very first Joy Boy was Luffy, sent back in time to start the legend and then pulled forwards again to complete his task in the modern day, but I don't think there's enough evidence for that quite just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

no, it's a big bathing suit to go with the big hat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Canonically, Joyboy reads and writes. Thus he can't be Luffy.

Also kind of a dick move to laugh at the part where your son is horrifically murdered.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

He laughed at his son having "I can't ignore poo poo talk disease"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece is a core drill. but Roger did not have a robot to put it in. with Franky tagging along they've got the one missing part. And so kicks off Oda's mecha series, BIG EMPEROR 6, and we will finally get the true combination sequence we were denied all those years ago

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's a real shame that some of Vegapunk's satellites got picked off before we got to see them do that. :kamina:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What a disservice to Franky that Vegapunk died before he got to witness them dock

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

What a disservice to Franky that Vegapunk died before they interacted at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Franky got some meaningful panel time this arc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

Franky got some meaningful panel time this arc

Too many Strawhats

Also Yamato should be a Strawhat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Infinitum posted:

Too many Strawhats

:hmmyes:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Too many Strawhats

Should be???

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s a cute detail. Idk how much sense it makes though since it should be Nami jonesing for a smoke while in his body, but I’m glad he could avoid being disrespectful in at least one way.

well Chopper's the one actually in Sanji's body so maybe he's got some sort of Doctor Resistance

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

Should be???

They ain't on the Sunny :colbert:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

well Chopper's the one actually in Sanji's body so maybe he's got some sort of Doctor Resistance
can haki overcome nicotine addiction

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Too many Strawhats

Bold goons make bold statements.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Frankly, there's nothing to suggest that Sanji is actually addicted to nicotine rather than just liking to smoke.

I would further propose that his altered body could be reasonably immune to the effects of addictive substances.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sanji smokes for the same reason that other anime characters wear weighted clothing: it dulls his sense of taste and he'll be too powerful without that handicap.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

It’s not tobacco

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

just imagined sanji with a vape and now i want to die

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Arist posted:

I think Brook is the vapist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

His soul comes out of his mouth and it looks like smoke, right? That tracks, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1772277346084798879?t=VT9Nd7ynVvhvDNCsSFxLEQ&s=19

Lmao the timing of this announcement

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if this was something Oda knew about when drafting the chapter, “make a baseball bat to hit the acid away” feels like an oddly specific counter compared to just balloon-bouncing it back.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Need to see what number is on that uniform

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For the chapter where the One Piece is found I want a 10 page spread of treasure and also the plot critical thing that overshadows all of it on the last page

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oda should do that but it just ends with the plot critical thing being hidden across the massive treasure spread and someone vaguely referring to it from offscreen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

For the chapter where the One Piece is found I want a 10 page spread of treasure and also the plot critical thing that overshadows all of it on the last page

Imu just waiting in the shadows with a weirdly effective gun.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Waiting for Oda to do what happens in the Pirate King tomb dungeon of Skies of Arcadia where the treasure is a note literally saying the real treasure is the friends you made along the way.
And then some historian offers to buy that note for an insanely high amount of money a few hours later.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Old 80s Showcase from wheel of fortune in 20 panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWQWgtILZ0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The chapter is called One Piece and there is no dialogue

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the strawhats partying in a ton of gold and stuff would kick rear end for a whole chapter

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Luffy and the other contenders getting distracted by the giant mountain of gold and jewels while Buggy accidentally picks up the actual One Piece and becomes the Pirate King

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Luffy and the other contenders getting distracted by the giant mountain of gold and jewels while Buggy accidentally picks up the actual One Piece and becomes the Pirate King

I am praying this ends up happening.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I just found out there is (or was) merch that has Yamato with the Straw Hats? :confuoot:

It's amusing to be because it's hard to know if merchbros know something we don't or guessed and were wrong. or too early.

I find the subject of Yamato endlessly fascinating

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There was someone who before Wano was over got a tattoo featuring all the Strawhats including Yamato

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For a long time it was Yamato towel vs carrot cover. In a genre full of insane fan rivalries it continues to be a very potent division, imo even more heated than Zoro vs Sanji.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I just found out there is (or was) merch that has Yamato with the Straw Hats? :confuoot:

It's amusing to be because it's hard to know if merchbros know something we don't or guessed and were wrong. or too early.

I find the subject of Yamato endlessly fascinating
Yamato fan excited to read chapter involving Yamato for the first time?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Arist posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
A bit of a no pun intended crack up that it really makes it looks like Sanji is freebasing.

TGG fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 25, 2024