Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This was one of the most effective decks of the world style flashes of scenes across the world. In part because it wasn't just people we knew, there were a lot of scenes of places we've never seen or heard of. It's a vast world. For some reason it was the picture of people in tents in the snowy nighttime woods, sitting on logs around a fire that really got to me. These people are clearly living their own lives, far away from anything we've seen in this world, and they're part of it too.

They too are going to sink into the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My question now is that if the sea levels have been rising all this time, was the Red Line originally hanging in mid-air, or does it float?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

My question now is that if the sea levels have been rising all this time, was the Red Line originally hanging in mid-air, or does it float?
Must have been an insane mountain range.

Or raised artificially with a devil fruit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m convinced now this is going to eventually lead to the Strawhats having to help stop the advent of a second Void Century (maybe Fishman Island gets destroyed as a result of this as well)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eiba posted:

Must have been an insane mountain range.

Or raised artificially with a devil fruit.

But you can go under it!!!!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Wild theory: It's not that there's more water in the ocean, it's that it's being displaced by something huge and ancient growing at the bottom of the ocean, possibly beneath the planet's crust. The Celestial Dragons destroyed Lulusia but they also shot at the creature, waking it up and making it grow bigger again. One Piece is really a kaiju manga.

Edit: gently caress, it could be Jörmungandr the world serpent, alluded to by Dorry and Broggy back in Little Garden.

Last Celebration posted:

in retrospect it would be a novel twist if they were all originally horrible yokai/cryptid monsters who ate various Human Human fruits.

Along similar lines, I was thinking the Elders might be what happens if a mythological zoan fruit overwhelms over its host... regular zoans become like the jailer beasts in Impel Down (unintelligent, stuck in a hybrid state), but perhaps intelligent mythological creatures (like demons/yokai) get full control of their host and can fully transform into them?

jassa fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 26, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

But you can go under it!!!!
I always assumed Fishman Island was in a big tunnel.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Eiba posted:

I always assumed Fishman Island was in a big tunnel.

Yeah isn't that explicitly how it's shown on some diagram when they're talking about it? It's why the only ways to go around the Red Line are through Fishman island specifically or you have to physically climb up & over

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Star Platinum posted:

The "weakling quartet" unhesitatingly rushing to protect Robin directly from the cosmic horrors who most want her dead :letsgo:
:yeah:
Awesome chapter

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So here's the thing.

If the landmasses are going to sink, people will want to head to safety.

In this case, safety means the highest ground possible.

Mariejois is going to be besieged by literally the entire world

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is it possible that the Five Elders are biologically linked together with Imu acting as the master of their collective hive mind given their seeming telepathy? They are very definitely acting like aliens or lizard people. Not natural. I think Sanji was more right than we realized when he said that they're just letting their true forms come out.

Are the Elders and Imu a dark mirror of Vegapunk and his satellites? Did Vegapunk adapt or copy whatever concept the elders are using?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So, uh, the specific method Wano chose for “closing its borders” is pretty interesting in this context

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Augus posted:

So, uh, the specific method Wano chose for “closing its borders” is pretty interesting in this context

It definitely also begs some questions about the infinite amount of clearly different water dumping forth from it 24/7

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Mountain bandit stocks plummeting as news of catastrophic sea level rise reveal worst bet in history. Pirate stocks reach new record highs.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

OrangéJéllo posted:

It definitely also begs some questions about the infinite amount of clearly different water dumping forth from it 24/7

I thought that got explained at the end of the arc, the surrounding mountains acted as a giant raincatcher and it all built up over time since it had nowhere else to go.

Anyways, I wonder if this is gonna throw a monkey wrench into the revolutionaries plan since they were banking on just starving the elders out and it seems like that's, uh, not really gonna be an option if the whole rest of the planet is about to flood.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I’m guessing it’s the “real” Vegapunk, a massive brain in a jar

gently caress yeah finally predicted something correctly (even if it wasn’t that hard to predict), my dream has been fulfilled and now I can die

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Okay new prediction time the one piece is a giant plug/drain that Luffy's gonna yank open

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

gently caress yeah finally predicted something correctly (even if it wasn’t that hard to predict), my dream has been fulfilled and now I can die

Sorry friend, a man's dreams never die.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Senile Grandpa Senators Deny, Cover-up Climate Change

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Enies Lobby is also way more fascinating now

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pureauthor posted:

So here's the thing.

If the landmasses are going to sink, people will want to head to safety.

In this case, safety means the highest ground possible.

Mariejois is going to be besieged by literally the entire world

that was my first reaction too

Everyone on the planet scrambling to get to the highest ground possible is about as good of an endgame trigger as anything else

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tequila Wolf makes more sense now too

Also something I noticed a while back is that all the castles shown where the kings/leaders live are always on plateaus or elevated ground. Pretty normal irl but more interesting given this context.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
something I just stopped to think about : if the entire world of One Piece is sinking, how do Devil Fruits play into that? If Vegapunk’s theory that Devil Fruits are the manifestation of dreams is right, then it would be very advantageous for someone to essentially flood the planet if they were hypothetically at war with an oppressed population who wished themselves magic powers.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Woo!!!….One Piece.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the one piece.... is gooooooooooooddddd!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You know I'm not really sure what I was expecting from the final line of that chapter but its just absolutely blown me the gently caress away how unexpected it was

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it took the elders by surprise, too.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
good ch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the resulting panic and damage control from this is gonna keep the WG and the Elders occupied enough that the Straw Hats can potentially slip away and retreat to, say, Elbaf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait a second what if we got the CD's backwards they're not dressed like that because they came from the moon, they're dressed like that to escape to the moon when the whole world gets swallowed by the ocean.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait a second what if we got the CD's backwards they're not dressed like that because they came from the moon, they're dressed like that to escape to the moon when the whole world gets swallowed by the ocean.

Enel is the key to all of this

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jose posted:

You know I'm not really sure what I was expecting from the final line of that chapter but its just absolutely blown me the gently caress away how unexpected it was

Wondering about the wording/translation there. Is the land sinking or the ocean rising? Or both?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
one piece is the greatest piece of fiction ever created and i feel sorry for anyone who hasn't experienced it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
wait is that why labophase is on a cloud

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think if the wg was aware of this problem they would have long since conquered every sky island. instead they just kind of ignore them.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
it's gonna be one dude with the water fruit and cannot stop leaking

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Augus posted:

Enel is the key to all of this
Sky people called the land below “Vearth” because it’s the Void Earth

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

At long last, it’ll be the only sky islander pirate Urouge’s time to shine.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Augus posted:

I've got to start paying more attention to these diagrams, he showed us the sea level rising back in Wano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I've got to start paying more attention to these diagrams, he showed us the sea level rising back in Wano.

jesus christ