Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I recall correctly, it's made pretty explicit during the WCI fight that Katakuri grasps that if he cant stop Luffy there, Luffy is going to only to get stronger in the future. When Luffy does beat him, he asks if Luffy plans to eventually topple Big Mom and Luffy agrees he does, and Katakuri actually seems pleased. He loves and cares for his family but I think he's pretty eyes open about his own mother being a pretty terrible person.

I loved the Katakuri fight but I don't have any hopes or expectations for them to do it again, because I think it's pretty clearly laid out that once Luffy beat him, he had surpassed him and was only going to get more powerful (as demonstrated by him going one-on-one with Kaido even before Gear 5, and arguably he might have even beaten him if CP0 hadn't gotten involved).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
katakuri not being able to hide his grin after the news of the straw hats' escape is really cute

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
thats my katakuri review

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gear 4 luffy in Untitled One Piece FG is a stance character that switches between rushdown and zoning between bound and snakeman forms.

Seconding that gear 4 and especially boundman owns and is so incredibly luffy. One piece gold does it some real justice.
And you have snakeman for the overly serious funhaters.
I knew way back when as soon as we got gear 2nd with the faster blood flow or whatever and he started loving around with powerups we'd get one where he used internalized air pressure as a weapon, and then we got gear 3rd. I hoped we'd get something like what gear 4 was, but I absolutely love how ridiculous Boundman looks. He's got that super pissed look on his face and the two hands ready to open palm wallop you, coated in black-red haki which imo looks great along with the steam constantly coming off him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The reveal of Katakuri - the man who never lays down and barely tolerates the fact he has to eat to keep his energy up - chilling on his back singing a happy little song about donuts is just an incredible reveal in the midst of an epic fight :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The moment was lost on me since he then immediately brutalized the cooks that made said donuts for accidentally seeing it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Gear 4 is great because you got Bounceman, the wild crazy silly form and I think it’s fitting for Luffy that his transformation isn’t traditionally badass looking. But, then you get Snakeman anyway! So you get a sillier form and a cool form at the end of the day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eggplant Squire posted:

The moment was lost on me since he then immediately brutalized the cooks that made said donuts for accidentally seeing it.
I mean that's why it works to develop his character and isnt just a gag. It shows very effectively why he is at that point in time a villain. Donuts is such a good/funny/memorable scene because it's the moment he finally gets fully developed while also being a total shock.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah for me it develops him into the total lovely evil villain camp and not the kind of antagonist that becomes a buddy such as Law.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
We repeatedly hear about all these epic long fights that are just two people duking it out for days. We hear stories about them and we even see Punk Hazard which was forever changed by one but we never get to see that kinda fight ourselves. Even when Luffy fights Cracker for ages, it's described as taking like a day but mostly it's just a comedy fight in practice.

Then we get to the Katakuri fight and it delivers on what has been implicitly promised by all those stories. It is one of the longform knockout slugfest fights that takes ages. And it rules. It is the first time we get a real proper look at what top-tier fights in One Piece truly can be like in a way that we simply hadn't directly seen before. Even Marineford didn't quite show it off properly, in part because it simply wasn't what that arc was about in the first place.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Katakuri is way over than Law

Law will die a Lamer

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 23, 2022

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I liked Katakuri because it ended up in a mirror match in a mirror dimension, I like his goofy jaw and hunger for donuts.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

katakuri was cool nd eiba's right that it made it clear that if luffy's struggling this much against her number two guy how in the name of heaven is he gonna beat an emperor?

that's btw something i really liked about wano, oda did a great job of making kaido seem like an unbreakable wall. luffy getting one-shotted at th end of act one was insanely cool, then it takes a big shonen training arc and not one but two mid-fight powerups AND a meat recharge to get an advantage over him. even then it's not a blowout, luffy's still takin big hits even though gear 5 lets him use cartoon physics to deflate the damage a little

also gear 4 pwns

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want Luffy to paint a tunnel and walk through it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually I want the next appearance of Gear 5 to be on the Sunny when they're all partying and Luffy's just so gosh darn happy and excited his heart goes funky and he slips into the form. Then they do a whole bunch of funny antics with it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Terper posted:

Actually I want the next appearance of Gear 5 to be on the Sunny when they're all partying and Luffy's just so gosh darn happy and excited his heart goes funky and he slips into the form. Then they do a whole bunch of funny antics with it.

This would actually be a really interesting limitation of the powerup, if he had to be having fun to activate it.

Imagine he's fighting Akainu and he needs Gear 5 to win, but he can't go into it because he's to angry about Ace to be having fun, and he has to learn to accept Ace's decision/fate to start having fun again :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Terper posted:

I want Luffy to paint a tunnel and walk through it

he tries that but the tunnel is so ugly it doesn't work. Then Ussop paints one, everyone tries to stop Luffy from running at top speed towards it but it does work

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

dont read or watch just want to be in on the ground floor

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

dont read or watch just want to be in on the ground floor
  /
:zoro:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

(as demonstrated by him going one-on-one with Kaido even before Gear 5, and arguably he might have even beaten him if CP0 hadn't gotten involved).
Kaido took a whole lot of beatings from Gear 5 and still needed a punch big enough to smash Onigashima to be knocked out. When CP0 got involved Luffy said he had only one punch left and Kaido was full of energy going berserk. I think the chances of Luffy winning in that instant was close to zero - ironically without CP0's attempt at interference, Kaido might still be ruling Wano.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bisse posted:

Kaido took a whole lot of beatings from Gear 5 and still needed a punch big enough to smash Onigashima to be knocked out. When CP0 got involved Luffy said he had only one punch left and Kaido was full of energy going berserk. I think the chances of Luffy winning in that instant was close to zero - ironically without CP0's attempt at interference, Kaido might still be ruling Wano.

I think what both that moment and the eventual Gear 5 victory have in common is that Kaido indicated in both that he wasn't bothering to defend himself anymore, he just wanted to exchange the heaviest hit he could with the first person in an age (other than Big Mom, who he had a long history with) who had been able to stand up to him physically AND hurt him. That's part of what enraged him so much about the interference, he wanted to see if Luffy or he were stronger in a fair fight, something he'd been longing for at this point for years if not decades (the last to truly hurt him was Oden, as far as we know?) in just a straight up punch exchange and it got taken away from him.

This being a comic, of course the answer is that eventually Luffy was going to win, no matter how exhausted he might be and how much more energetic the unstoppable bad guy is. That's kind of the story of Wano, Kaido keeps obliterating Luffy in straight-up fights but Luffy keeps on coming back and getting stronger and doing more damage to Kaido, and nothing seems to stop him for long or put a dent in Luffy's spirit/determination to beat Kaido. If Kaido had won the punch exchange and put Luffy down, Luffy would be back up again at some point and going straight for him again, the only thing that would stop him is killing him (filler arc where he goes to hell and beats up demons to escape!)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 23, 2022

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
kaido lost the moment he started to think "this guy could be joyboy"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Whenever you looked at a page in One Piece and laughed... that was when you were "Joyboy"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i do thnk that even if the cp0 guy hadnt intervened kaidou would have won the clash and then probably gone gear 5 after, all cp0 did was really loving piss kaidou off

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Fungah! posted:

i do thnk that even if the cp0 guy hadnt intervened kaidou would have won the clash and then probably gone gear 5 after, all cp0 did was really loving piss kaidou off

All the World Government did in general this arc is piss people off

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bisse posted:

Gear 4 is cool because you’re excited for another exciting anime powerup, and then it’s that, even Doflamingo loses it and just laughs, and suddenly he blinked and he’s 4km away on the other side of town buried deep into a building.

I still wish that had been the end of the Doflamingo fight, it would have been sooooo satisfying and saved us like 6 chapters of bird cage.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

gnome7 posted:

I still wish that had been the end of the Doflamingo fight, it would have been sooooo satisfying and saved us like 6 chapters of bird cage.

luffy accidently turned him into rubber and he bounced back

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just finished Dressrosa on my re-read. Good arc! I wish the strings of the birdcage could be cut but immediately reattach themselves. Also the solution to Luffy breaking free from Doffy's strings being "he just does" is bad. Should have encountered him earlier ala Crocodile and had to work out a solution between encounters.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Luffy eats the strings

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think gear fourth looks cool

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Turns out Luffy hates Franky

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Fungah! posted:

I like to think the CP0 interference contributed to Gear 5 somehow just for the irony of causing the very thing they were trying to prevent.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I don't like the way the article is structured, but lol it's from chapters 729 to 976. 6 years and 4 months.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silly clickbait. Franky barely gets any lines at all during that period, with Luffy or otherwise. Including Whole Cake is pretty misleading. I bet Ussop and Robin would have a similar dry spell were it not for a couple lines on Zou.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the whole crew chilling and having a good time together! It's been too long. Considering Sanji was already gone when the crew was together on Zou, the last time everyone was just casually voyaging together was the trip from Punk Hazard to Dressrosa.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

franky isnt gonna get many more lines anyways, as the more canonical things he has to say the more his voice actor has to say them and rip that guys voice

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Terper posted:

Just finished Dressrosa on my re-read. Good arc! I wish the strings of the birdcage could be cut but immediately reattach themselves. Also the solution to Luffy breaking free from Doffy's strings being "he just does" is bad. Should have encountered him earlier ala Crocodile and had to work out a solution between encounters.

The Birdcage is such a cool concept when they were raiding Drake's dad's mansion, but it's such a contrivance in Dressrosa. It should've been inverted, where Doffy just surrounded him and Luffy in it as a timer. Fujitora would've offered to cut the string, but Zoro would stop him because that's not what Luffy wants. But I'm also not the most successful manga author of all time, so maybe not.

As for Gear 4, Boundman is ehhhh, but Snakeman is the coolest poo poo. I don't really count Tankman, mainly cause the Cracker fight is also whatever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's to the glorious final run of One Piece! I could go for some adventure, some powerful emotion, nutty jokes, and some epic beatdowns. Oda rules.

I need Sanji and Zoro to have an especially potent heroic brotherhood moment where they do a Predator arm flex high five thing. I demand it.

I want more funny islands with funny animals along the way.

Also, I'm 30 volumes behind near the end of Punk Hazard, an anime refugee, I will catch up!! With a DON!!

Another note, I'm enjoying the cover stories, via the color version that puts them all together. It's fun reading them as their own story real quick like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I reread the last bit of wano with Gear 5 vs Kaido, and I gotta say, despite my reservations about the Kaido flashback, reading it all at once I can see why it was like that. The only really important thing to get in that moment was that in the end Kaido truly does only believe in strength, and that Joyboy would be the one to beat him. Personally, I wanted a lot more. Obviously I want to know as much as possible about a character like Kaido. And I expected that level of detail too. It's still personally disappointing, but now I can see that we at least got the important takeaway from the flashback for the moment that Luffy defeats him.

I'm sold on the idea that reading weekly can be a bigger detriment than reading all at once is, because the wait between weeks gets you hyperfocused on your own expectations and desires for the story, and you can miss the bigger picture.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm doing some other arc rereads, I did the back half of Dressarossa and am doing Sabody 2+Fishman

Fishman is actually considerably better than I remember, although Hody is still whatever

Dressarossa is ALMOST worse. I forgot how much I hated most of Doffy's lame loving crew or how truly interminable some of the fights are (as everything in Dressarossa is). Ussop is still good though, as he always is in every arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What if Yamato didn't join because Oda wanted Film Red to be possibly canon, and since Yamato isn't in the film he needed to bench him until after the movie could happen.