Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

oddium posted:

it looks like the boar's tusks can turn into blades, and the spider's legs can turn into whips, and the horse's head can turn into a man holding a sword

Speaking of spider boy going from spider to squid, that gave me some “Dark King from Mystic Quest” vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

He’s even using Asura!

Just heal him twice and he dies

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i figure that even though the one piece obviously isn't conventional treasure, there will still also be conventional treasure on laugh tale. a historical record, a weapon, a person, whatever. it'd be disappointing without some bling.

Yeah this is where I fall, if there isn't a DK Banana Hoard cave full of gold and jewels in addition to the actual plot stuff I'll be disappointed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My thought is that when Roger found One Piece, it was just the Special Plot Thing that made him laugh, and then her was like "this is probably a good place to put my riches" and also maybe as a motivation to bring the person who could use the One Piece in the way he couldn't.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Pirates irl buried their treasure so they could come back later to get it, not for people to find years later during a thrilling adventure. The original offshore bank account. But Roger knew he was dying, and the island isn’t exactly easy to get to, even if you know the location. So why would he leave his treasure there? He had to have left it there for the express purpose of inspiring other people to come looking for it, and also discover the truth. It doesn’t seem like anyone else was actually trying to get to the end of the Grand Line before Roger’s execution.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

:(

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Chap?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm glad Sanji asked permission first before smoking in Nami's body

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I'm glad Sanji asked permission first before smoking in Nami's body

It’s a cute detail. Idk how much sense it makes though since it should be Nami jonesing for a smoke while in his body, but I’m glad he could avoid being disrespectful in at least one way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Pirates irl buried their treasure so they could come back later to get it, not for people to find years later during a thrilling adventure. The original offshore bank account. But Roger knew he was dying, and the island isn’t exactly easy to get to, even if you know the location. So why would he leave his treasure there? He had to have left it there for the express purpose of inspiring other people to come looking for it, and also discover the truth. It doesn’t seem like anyone else was actually trying to get to the end of the Grand Line before Roger’s execution.

I mean, pirates didn't bury their treasure irl that was made up by Treasure Island

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Pirates irl buried their treasure so they could come back later to get it, not for people to find years later during a thrilling adventure. The original offshore bank account.

I like this because it implicitly rephrases thrilling adventures to find pirate treasure as bank heists, and for some reason I find this delightful even though it doesn’t change anything.

That’s all I wanted to share, thank you.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Since Roger was talking about making it to Laugh Tale too early, I've been wondering if the One Piece is something that'll activate when the surrounding planets have perfectly aligned, or something like that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So the big robot is definitely someone who ate the Robot Robot fruit that turns you into a massive robot right?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Since Roger was talking about making it to Laugh Tale too early, I've been wondering if the One Piece is something that'll activate when the surrounding planets have perfectly aligned, or something like that.
I assume it's related to the Poseidon (ie Shirahoshi) prophecy we saw Roger asking about. If the One Piece is connected to the Ancient Weapons in some way then it may be no good without all 3 being active.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Roger truly got cock blocked by life

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, pirates didn't bury their treasure irl that was made up by Treasure Island

Okay pretend I said “in other media” then. The Grand Line and Red Line make a giant X to mark the spot where the treasure is buried, classic pirate trope.

i am tim! posted:

I like this because it implicitly rephrases thrilling adventures to find pirate treasure as bank heists, and for some reason I find this delightful even though it doesn’t change anything.

That’s all I wanted to share, thank you.

:tipshat:

U-DO Burger posted:

Hmm first Zushina reacts to Gear Fifth, now the robot is activating and talking to Joyboy while Luffy is nearby using Gear Fifth, so there may be something there that will wake up when Luffy gets there.

Edit

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume it's related to the Poseidon (ie Shirahoshi) prophecy we saw Roger asking about. If the One Piece is connected to the Ancient Weapons in some way then it may be no good without all 3 being active.

This is also a good point, maybe it needs the 3 weapons plus an awakened Nika fruit.

Edit again

Meowywitch posted:

Roger truly got cock blocked by life

Tbh he went out and had Ace after becoming pirate king so actually he’s one of the few characters who is a confirmed sex-haver, contrast that to the rest of his crew, and most other crews, all childless virgins. Chad Roger vs Virgin Whitebeard, all WB’s kids are adopted

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 24, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't find it so pretend I posted that Dan Rykert pirate clip.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Idk what this is so I googled “Dan Rykert pirate clip” is it this one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"I get it now."

"NO YOU DON'T."

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It’s here.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

No lol

It's the one where Dan thinks real life pirates are like media pirates while watching a Ubisoft conference I think.

Calls it a "Phoenix down moment" and pisses off Jeff Gerstman lol.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol thank you

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks! I don’t know who any of these people are but I guess that guy had the same idea about pirates as Luffy, sailing and having adventures

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

It’s a twitch version of this book: Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition: English Sea Rovers in the Seventeenth-Century Caribbean https://a.co/d/hFkxfFg

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Ah the historical Whole Cake Island

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Feel like this could just be an early Luffy scene

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Oda must have been banking these Looney Tunes gags for decades and I cannot wait to see each and every one of them.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

The One Piece is a vast DVD collection and Roger was too early because everyone was still using Betamax at the time (VHS didn't win in this world)

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The Big Hat is a laserdisc

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Remalle posted:

Oda must have been banking these Looney Tunes gags for decades and I cannot wait to see each and every one of them.
It’s gonna own when he finally fights Blackbeard and slams a grand piano onto his head, with the black keys filling in Teach’s tooth gaps.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Official translation's out
It really does feel like this isn't the first time the Elders have been in a situation like this. They hit the ground last chapter and immediately Nusjuro is disabling the pascifistas, Mars heads off to stop the broadcast, and everyone else starts trying to kill Luffy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I have so much time now to catch up now, thank you based oda

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Violen posted:

i hope someone in the story gets really indignant about gear five's cartoon logic lol

That was kind of Kaido

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s a cute detail. Idk how much sense it makes though since it should be Nami jonesing for a smoke while in his body, but I’m glad he could avoid being disrespectful in at least one way.

Okay so hear me out, that's an interesting question actually, since Law swaps people's personalities by switching their hearts, not their brains. One has to then assume that biology is wildly different in the world of one piece. We know that Vegapunk stored memories and information in his giant brain, but maybe that's not the "seat of personality" in the same way that it is on earth and the actual processing takes place in the heart, meaning that's also where the addiction occurs.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

ThingOne posted:

Official translation's out
It really does feel like this isn't the first time the Elders have been in a situation like this. They hit the ground last chapter and immediately Nusjuro is disabling the pascifistas, Mars heads off to stop the broadcast, and everyone else starts trying to kill Luffy.

We know they have some kind of telepathic communication so they’re probably talking about what to do. But yeah they’re obviously seasoned fighters and know how to work as a team.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JahRoo posted:

We know they have some kind of telepathic communication so they’re probably talking about what to do. But yeah they’re obviously seasoned fighters and know how to work as a team.

Probably came from doing cleanup on the genocide games.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

If they’re also truly immortal then they’ve probably been around since the void century

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Okay so hear me out, that's an interesting question actually, since Law swaps people's personalities by switching their hearts, not their brains. One has to then assume that biology is wildly different in the world of one piece. We know that Vegapunk stored memories and information in his giant brain, but maybe that's not the "seat of personality" in the same way that it is on earth and the actual processing takes place in the heart, meaning that's also where the addiction occurs.
I imagine Sanji's smoking is habitual enough that he'd keep doing it even without the physical addiction

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Probably came from doing cleanup on the genocide games.

They’re the Spanish Inquisition of the Davy Back games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

JahRoo posted:

If they’re also truly immortal then they’ve probably been around since the void century

seems to reason theyre a key reason the WG won the war