Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Presumably it would at least enable York to keep working for them, even if they didn’t have a direct use for the brain itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:hai:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Most of the Vegapunks don't need to have a connection to the giant brain, just the Stella has a receiver. The others periodically sync up with Punk Records. I assume they have their own brains that'll work fine on their own.

I guess that's not been explicitly said, but their whole plan to flee doesn't make much sense if that's not the case. (It's still not clear how the Stella was going to flee, but that's a moot point now.)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
York keeping information secret from the others just flat out doesn't make sense if they don't have some degree of autonomy and internal privacy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vegapunk being unwilling to judge his killers as evil is interesting. I thought he might have been covering for the Strawhats with the understanding that they'll be blamed, but he does say "whether I'm arrested or executed," implying that he's expecting the World Government to be responsible. And he's not willing to say they are evil. There's got to be more to the story- I'm guessing the World Government is the product of some people making what seemed like the best decision they could at the time. Perhaps the people they fought, the ones whose dreams could be made real, were in some way a threat to the world and the World Government was set up to contain that threat. Perhaps the sinking world was a process set up by the ancient dreamers, and the World Government has been trying to slow it down. We've seen that the Mother Flame island death laser raises the sea level. Maybe it utilizes the ancient power that was flooding the world and the World Government doesn't want it to fall in other hands not just because blowing up islands is... destabilizing, but if other people were using it the world would be sinking even faster. If Marijoa isn't self sufficient- they need the rest of the world to not sink.

I'm guessing if this is the case they have no solution to the problem, they're just delaying as long as they can, and that's why Vegapunk feels the need to let people know what's going on, in the hopes that someone can fix the problem, even if it risks making things a lot worse if other people start tapping into that dangerous power that accelerates sea level rise.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
In the official translation, Stella says, “…whoever may have rendered their judgment unto me…I am not trying to convince you that their intent is evil. I will not apply the labels of good and evil at all, in fact…because I understand too little about him to begin with.” Emphasis from the original, and note that the panel with “him” in bold shows Saturn.

To me, this can only be Imu, and it’s very interesting that Vegapunk isn’t sure about this, given that he is otherwise aware of the many evils of the World Government. I’m a little skeptical we’re getting a Gurren-Lagann-style story where DF users/pre-void century societies are so dangerous to the safety of the world that they had to be put down for their own good, or something—Oda doesn’t write a lot of well-intentioned antagonists, he prefers completely self-interested monsters who shock the audience with their villainy.

The only thing I can think of is that Imu owns the giant straw hat because he used to be Joyboy, and that’s the source of Vegapunk’s uncertainty? Either way, I don’t think he’s just making a rhetorical point about morality, and it’s weird to me.

It’s also notable that when Stella brings up the main point of the broadcast, he says, “What I am about to tell you is so preposterous…you might even burst into laughter.” That’s gotta be significant.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rko posted:

It’s also notable that when Stella brings up the main point of the broadcast, he says, “What I am about to tell you is so preposterous…you might even burst into laughter.” That’s gotta be significant.

Oh no Roger is a climate change denier :ohdear:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oda showing his process of the cover page

https://twitter.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1784417331726496204

It's neat!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hey so like, there's no way the eventual "pirate with an eyepatch" isn't joyboy right

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lol at the "draw the rest of the loving owl" cut 40 seconds in

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One Piece Manga Thread: Vat are you sinking about?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Farg posted:

hey so like, there's no way the eventual "pirate with an eyepatch" isn't joyboy right

probably but on the other hand maybe not

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Farg posted:

its either joyboy, rocks, some kind of "first pirate" (like davy jones), or a future state of luffy or blackbeard

i still think blackbeard kills shanks, but shanks gets in a blow that gives blackbeard the eyepatch imo

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 28, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So this is a little late chapter wise but hell it made me laugh at least. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4zAL8L-p3g

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Oda mapping out the piece moves to make sure that they were in valid positions is madness

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

epic video

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Firebert posted:

Oda mapping out the piece moves to make sure that they were in valid positions is madness

If he didn’t, how many SRS entries would he get about it? We know he’s sane because he didn’t play out the other side.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Was thinking about the “Rayleigh became a ship coater after learning the world is gonna sink” thing and just realised Crocus decided to start living inside a whale lol

Also a plausible explanation for why Shanks and his crew don’t gently caress with devil fruits

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm just out here thinking the end game has got to be some absolutely apocalyptic poo poo to rectify this. And no doubt it's going to be a wombo combo of Uranus, Pluton and Shirahoshi in some manner. Also rewatching the Wano arc and the constant references to the New Dawn makes me think the D. actually stands for the Dawn itself.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The D stands for Drowned

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Monkey Dryland Luffy

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MorningMoon posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1113/chapter/42629?action=read

official release, took me the third reading to notice Sanji doesn't just sucker kick an Elder, he parries the sword swing that was meant to kill Franky and Bonnie. Dude rocks

I'd like to go back in time and see Oda freak teh gently caress out while drawing Skypeia because The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker came out halfway through the arc

There's probably something meaningful to this and the previous chapter both having glub blub sfx as their final text. Also a friend ponders that maybe the mermaids we see in the final panel are at Egghead. The lighting in that panel is very similar to the panel just before it with the marines at egghead going "huh?", and the Strawhats sure could use some mermaid/fishmen help to escape

Ha! I was right! In the official translation, Vegapunk specifically points out a "him" that he doesn't know well enough about so he can't make a judgment call on their morality either way. I'm calling it, he's referring to Imu. Boom.

e: Wait, wait, wait hold the phone. The phrasing of the convo with the Five Elders at the end right before the Don splash page makes it sound like the Five Elders are debating with Imu whether they can just go ahead with blowing up Punk Records to stop the broadcast. I think they are reluctant to take action because they need Imu's approval first. Based on the fan translation I thought that the Five Elders were just debating among themselves, but the official translation completely changes the implication of their telepathy. I think Imu is in the group chat with them, so to speak, and is the admin directly overseeing their actions. :stare:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 29, 2024

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Ha! I was right! In the official translation, Vegapunk specifically points out a "him" that he doesn't know well enough about so he can't make a judgment call on their morality either way. I'm calling it, he's referring to Imu. Boom.
Who else could he be talking about at this point?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CommunityEdition posted:

If he didn’t, how many SRS entries would he get about it? We know he’s sane because he didn’t play out the other side.

We don't know that, maybe next weekchapter he'll show the other side of the board

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Who else could he be talking about at this point?

Vegapunk is a proponent of Borsalino redemption

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caidin posted:

Vegapunk is a proponent of Borsalino redemption

lmao

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It may be setting up for the general public to possibly believe Vegapunk is talking about Luffy killing him. The same page has Duval mentioning it's public knowledge that the Straw Hats are holding Vegapunk hostage

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Terper posted:

Lol at the "draw the rest of the loving owl" cut 40 seconds in

Yeah I was excited to find out he does all his roughs and layouts in Clip Studio Paint then once that's finalized it seems he prints out the roughs and light boxes them so he can trace them out on paper with pens, then from THAT he scans the line art in again and then uses CSP to color it in using marker brushes. That way there is actually a physical original.

edit: now that I look at it I think he's even roughing out the colors on the scanned image so he can use that as a template for actually coloring the original with Copic markers.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 29, 2024

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Onmi posted:

It's another of those "Everything falls into place" for example Hey so why do the Celestial Dragons all wear loving bubble helmets? Why does the sea reject Devil Fruits? Hey so how did the 20 countries join with Imu in the first place? Was it joining with Imu? or was it "We'll bend the knee please don't loving kill us"? Why does Impel Down have boarded up windows in the water? How did those walls erected in Wano get there?

I always thought they wore helmets for this reason.

(Imu)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Havoc904 posted:

(Imu)

If we see Imu awkwardly asking for hand jobs we'll definitely know where the inspiration was from.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Havoc904 posted:

(Imu)

Things can be multiple things.

Edit: also, just realized that this reveal explains why the World Government hates fishmen so much.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 30, 2024

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I'm going to assume I'm the first to point out that Imu backwards = Umi = Sea, so obviously, he is personally what is 'sinking' the world :ssh:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Browsing the OP reddit usually means between spoilers and some fun theories and fan art, you get a lot of cosplay. Most is from women upping their web presence with an assist from Oda's designs, but there was a delightful Ivankov,

Ho boy, lots of good Ivankov's out there

One Piece truly has something for everyone :3:

Bonus:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I will admit I am a little flabbergasted that in a pirate story set in a world of pirates and oceans and ships and stuff the sea, the thing they spend a good 90% of their lives on, is evil

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I'm just out here thinking the end game has got to be some absolutely apocalyptic poo poo to rectify this. And no doubt it's going to be a wombo combo of Uranus, Pluton and Shirahoshi in some manner. Also rewatching the Wano arc and the constant references to the New Dawn makes me think the D. actually stands for the Dawn itself.

i think the "one piece" is, quite literally, merely one piece of what's needed to rescue the world from destruction. i certainly glossed over the name before when reading under the assumption that it was just a kind of made up name oda thought was cool, but i really should've known better

smuh posted:

I'm going to assume I'm the first to point out that Imu backwards = Umi = Sea, so obviously, he is personally what is 'sinking' the world :ssh:

i already posted my theory a bit back, but i'm inclined to believe that imu actually isn't the one causing the world to flood. they're heavily implied to be one of the original founding elders, meaning they only came around during the void century, and there's things like noah being a void century relic, the tree of knowledge's odd shape, zunesha's existence, rayleigh getting into ship coating (implying that joy boy knew the world would flood again and left that knowledge in laugh tale), and wano's seawalls that point towards the world having having being at least partially drowned before

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Gologle posted:

I will admit I am a little flabbergasted that in a pirate story set in a world of pirates and oceans and ships and stuff the sea, the thing they spend a good 90% of their lives on, is evil

I think the original framing that the ocean hates devil fruits as unnatural and that's why devil fruit users sink and lose their powers in water has already been undermined by several points, like the fact that the water weakness is actually slightly more complex, extends to all water, and distinguishes between standing and moving water.

Between the chapter's revelation and the earlier suggestion that devil fruits represent the human will to change the world, the original framing now seems a lot like spin.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm not actually sure that "devil fruits make you drown" needs much more of an explanation than "lineage factor." if we're in a world where the light of the moon can let minks go apeshit, then a devil fruit driving your lineage factor so off the evolutionary rails that anything that resembles the source of all natural life starts acting like poison is totally believable

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gologle posted:

It fits with the classic pirate mythology of Davy Jones

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
The devil couldn't learn to swim because there's no water in hell so people with devil fruits can't swim either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Vermain posted:

i'm not actually sure that "devil fruits make you drown" needs much more of an explanation than "lineage factor." if we're in a world where the light of the moon can let minks go apeshit, then a devil fruit driving your lineage factor so off the evolutionary rails that anything that resembles the source of all natural life starts acting like poison is totally believable
Devil fruits make you drown in the sea but not lakes because the sea is Imu and he sucks your DF life force out.