Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

anime was right posted:

i could totally see vegapunk wanting to revive the lunarian race and this is how he did it, but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

it's probably like sanji and his siblings where vegapunk could only create superhumans with genuine intelligence if they grew up naturally, compared to the original pacifistas that were basically just robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

but again, the way hes talking here makes it seem like hancock would be alive after he took her power. he also specifically says 'power,' not 'fruit.' thats a semantics thing but those two things together makes me think he isnt using the more obvious method. could he have taken whitebeard and absalom's powers without killing them? maybe his offer to moriah was that if he surrendered peacefully and joined his crew, he'd take his power but leave him alive?

i think the fact that one of the darkness fruit's power is specifically shutting down other devil fruits points to it being the source of blackbeard's power-stealing. my guess would be that devil fruit powers are some kind of soul/spirit that imprints on someone's lineage factor, which would both explain their cyclical nature (the spirit travels to another nearby fruit when its host is dead) and how blackbeard can take them (the darkness fruit is able to suck the fruit spirit out of someone with enough time/effort; dead people are presumably easier to do this to, but blackbeard may have mastered it enough to be able to do it to a living person by this point)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 9, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Excelzior posted:

Also my assumption, but why would the elders have asked Imu which light needed to be extinguished if Imu could just do it at any moment it stuck his fancy? You're probably right it's just a bit weird to me

i assume that the elders and the navy are used for moments that require discretion, because blasting an entire island into the sea with uranus is gonna raise eyebrows if you do it willy-nilly. this was probably a special case because sabo had seen imu, and that's, like, the #1 top priority state secret that absolutely can't get out because it would threaten the legitimacy of the WG

i don't get the impression from the panels that imu has some kind of mindwipe/memory alteration power, but rather that removing things from history involves using his total control over the WG to enforce it ingsoc-style

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

honestly, after this chapter, i'm starting to wonder if my joke idea of, "the one piece is a spaceship" isn't too off the mark

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oddium posted:

didn't hit me until seeing vegapunk that one piece really is ending

we're probably finally gonna know what devil fruits are by the end of the year, which is loving crazy to think about

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my guess would be that kenpo cooking was oda's initial idea for helping sanji to keep relative power parity, but he eventually decided to lean more into the germa augmentations angle and leave the "guy with weird toolkit of situational tricks" gimmick more to usopp

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Doc Q fruit seems just an Ivankov fruit knockoff (I'm sure he can do more nebulous, ill-defined sickness related stuff... just like Ivankov can do more nebulous, ill-defined hormone related stuff). Catarina fruit is Bon Clay fruit knockoff. Strongest fruit just makes him a Pierre knockoff. Burgess fruit just made him "like he was before, but more" (it doesn't help that Burgess is absolutely my least favorite Blackbeard crew member). I'm like... meh?

doc q's fruit is extremely important to the storyline going forwards, as it will guarantee that chopper has something to do during a fight again besides "turn into Large Chopper and punch someone"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the abrupt cut is such a fantastic directorial choice. one of the few one piece anime scenes i tear up watching every time

it's crazy thinking about how kin'emon was introduced as this inept comic relief joke character way back in punk hazard and then lands as the raw emotional heart for the whole of wano

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Can't wait for next episode to be two-thirds slideshow in order to not blow the budget. :v:

you could probably send a man to the moon for how much the gear 5 reveal is gonna cost

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not sure about all of these points (where exactly does Imu come into this?) but I do really like the idea of the Celestial Dragons just being extremely pampered livestock. I've never really understood what role they're supposed to serve outside of the Elders.

it's certainly possible for oda to take a turn into something predictable, but i think the more likely explanation is simply that they're a part of the rigid, deliberately cruel hierarchy the gorosei and imu established in order to suppress the world's population. if the core thrust of One Piece is the power of dreams and ambitions, then the diametric opposite of that being a bunch of nightmare demons whose whole purpose is to create a world of despair where no one ever thinks of trying to rise above their station or deny "legitimate" authority is far more powerfully resonant than any kind of promised neverland-esque scenario

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's been a while since i had a good ol' madman cackle irl

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

also, just as a matter of conservation of storytelling, you're not really primed to be on the lookout for actual-for-real capital-M Magic in a world that's already got both mutants with weird powers and super qi manipulation

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the op-op fruit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

White Light posted:

Who here is good with japan creature mythos? Just trying to figure out why Saturn can paralyze people with a glare, is that a thing that the monster he's based on can do? It is like a lore thing

my current theory is that he's got what amounts to anti-haki: if haki is the projection of willpower and drive, then saturn and the other elders can project the obverse of that (hopelessness and stagnancy) and overpower almost anyone. the reason why nika is so dangerous to the WG is both because he's naturally immune to a power like that, and because he's able to inspire people to overcome it, which is why bonney and kuma, two staunch believers in the myth, were able to break out and attack saturn

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

anime was right posted:

theyre gonna defeat saturn by believing they can beat saturn. i bet all of his abilities are tied directly into the believe of him being an unstoppable force. its no different than someones powers not working on you because of haki, you need to make his own powers not work on him because of haki.

i think that's a better read on what i was speculating on before, yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frankly it's epic as hell to have something to look forwards to at the end of every week

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i started reading weekly at some point during the pandy, since i'd been watching the wano anime eps out of curiosity, and once they got interrupted i said "gently caress it," spent $5 on a viz sub, and read the whole goddamn thing in like a week and a half

did you know there's a 200 page per day limit on the viz reader? i sure do

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Terper posted:

The animators deserve break weeks just like Oda

seriously, jesus

they've been doing god's work and all with the animation but even the biggest budgets can't keep that kind of weekly quality without artists working their fingers down to nubs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

Unclear Justice guy feeling too hazy about where he's going with this is probably fitting. For my money I think he's just sandbagging a touch still hoping Luffy can block him and still save him some face with his boss, but i think he also would have given them the chop? It's very half assed way of feeling bad about your orders and trying to weasel out of them but Borsalino has never felt like he was putting his whole rear end into anything anyway.

i think kizaru's deal is that he's a man without a firm dream to follow and simply obeys what appears to be the strongest governing body at any given moment to supplant that lack of inner desire. he feeds luffy and then goes back to fighting him because he sees the glimmer of a different future and is curious to see who will win. he's a modestly less psychopathic solf j. kimblee

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

just noticed that netflix seemingly managed to secure the rights to the new egghead arc episodes but only those, which is going to cause some poor future sap a great deal of confusion when they skip directly from marineford to this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I like that his name is whitebeard but he just has a mustache.

much like how hotdogs are sandwiches, a mustache is just a very short beard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the real burning question on my mind now is how much blackbeard knows about the WG, five elders, and history of the world at large, because devon's reaction to seeing the true form of one of the leaders of the world is not what you'd expect if they were going in blind. i'm assuming kuzan must've spilled the beans at some point, which makes me think that blackbeard's not merely angling at generic pirate conquest but at striking at the empty throne and whatever's underneath mary geoise that doflamingo hinted at ages ago

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guaranteeing you that there'll be a day 1 edit of the anime version of that image with the curb your enthusiasm theme

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would Kuzan know. I get the impression only the Elders know.

kizaru acts completely nonplussed about saturn's spider transformation and if doflamingo, who left at a young age, knows about whatever's under mary geoise, then it's likely an open secret amongst the world nobles and would presumably be something the admirals know about at bare minimum

i doubt kuzan or blackbeard know about imu at all, but i do think it's highly probable that kuzan told them about whatever great power is hiding beneath the red line, and blackbeard's slow accumulation of power and now apparent infiltration ploy is aiming to grab it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the episodes do still drag more than you'd want them to as a consequence of them needing to stretch out chapters and conserve the animation budget, but there was a noticeable uptick in the overall quality after about the first third of wano. most of the animation was still pretty unimpressive during that period, but, after the first big break they took due to the emergence of covid, they noticeably started funnelling way more money into it, so the scenes that ought to have looked good looked really loving good

a lot of the early wano fights look exactly like what you'd expect out of a weekly anime on a budget, but the later you get the more you just start getting theatre quality anime scenes poking their head in out of nowhere

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

given all the flashbacks and the Food Incident, i wouldn't be surprised if kizaru actually knew about the dead man's switch this whole time and killed vegapunk to help fulfill a prearranged plan. i could fully buy vegapunk wanting to go out in a blaze of glory as penance for his past sins, although why kizaru's playing an agent of chaos is still a mystery

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

new chapter? why, right underneath that crate being propped up with a stick, of course

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

spoiling me is also fine I'm one of those folks who believes reading a thing (the experience) differs greatly from just reading spoilers

if I haven't read it in the actual comic, it's not spoiled

this probably doesn't make any sense i'm sorry

you're completely correct and i salute your bravery

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

without spoiler osmosis I wouldn't know about Yamato yet, the coolest person in the world

they can also make you pay attention to things more closely when viewing something for the first time and catch details that would otherwise require multiple rewatches to see, and that can enhance the experience when you're not planning on going back to something over and over, as is often the case in the modern era

spoilers don't bother me because the ability to enjoy a work is incumbent on its totality; novelty and surprise only factor in a little, especially in visual mediums where the craft sharpens the experience in a way that simple words cannot accurately convey

mycot posted:

Those "AI voice reading summaries" accounts are so popular and for what? So people can save time from doing a fun activity?

i think their popularity has to do with media oversaturation: there are, genuinely, too many loving things to watch between television, films, and video games, so hearing and seeing a story in microcosm that you might otherwise never get around to has a certain appeal. it's effectively the same principle behind LPs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

tomatoes are the worst

you need to try a for-real farm tomato and not the red water balloons they scam people with at supermarkets

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gomu Gomu no Truckin'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

3 weeks huh

i've already drawn up the list of arguments to relitigate in this thread, don't you worry

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Will of Drawing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ragnarokette posted:

I'm gonna be really mad (slightly miffed) if we get to the end without some followup on how inanimate objects like a gun that ate the dog-dog fruit got desire shoved into them

if you can infuse an object with haki - the manifestation of your willpower - then shoving the manifestation of your dreams into an object isn't that farfetched

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

we're all post-crash gear 5 luffy and chapter is a very large cartoon drumstick

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do appreciate that oda tried his damndest to give nami some kind of plausible-sounding explanation for her powers but has effectively hit the point of, "she just straight up casts elemental spells, please roll with it"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ragnarokette posted:

Weatheria had that rope that made wind when you untied a knot that literally never got mentioned again after the timeskip montage. I assume they just got shoved in the Climatact off screen or something.

i think oda was throwing a lot of balls up into the air around that time to try and figure out how to let the non-fruiters not fall behind on the power scale. some of them like haki worked well, and others like dials got rapidly shoved into a locker and forgotten

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't imagine any Elders will be taken out at this point. I was thinking Saturn might be defeated for a while, but that was before he summoned the others. They are just too overwhelming right now for the current members of the cast here.

oda established a couple chapters back that the elders appear to be straight up invincible, or at least have some kind of insane super healing factor, so figuring out their deal and how to counter them has to come first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the second reveal gets interrupted by two 30 second ads for prime video and mcdonalds and no one gets to hear it