Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

GonSmithe posted:

Probably the last One Piece thread? Let's go.

cmon. what did blackbeard tell us like 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

kaido lost the moment he started to think "this guy could be joyboy"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i'll be fully honest i do not even remotely give a poo poo about uta or film red

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i'm a massive dbz fan and wasn't able to get too excited about thebroly movie either

i guess rn the only thing that i want from one piece is more Main Plot Lore. i feel it is time and the rest is distractions

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

I always liked the theory that Shanks was going to fulfill the Joyboy prophecy by either taking the Nika fruit for himself or giving it to Roger's son who also lived on Dawn Island at the time; the accident at the bar caused Shanks to rewrite his plan on the fly and take a bet on the random scrappy kid who was always hanging around town, perhaps directly trying to influence him (with the help of people like Rayleigh) towards the path of unlocking the fruit's potential by creating a dream for Luffy via his own actions. Fits nicely with the "was it destiny or did the person will it into existence?" battle that has gone on throughout the comic.

one addition to the context of luffy's origin w shanks i would actually like now is if we learn that this is all true one way or another, and shanks had the ability to reincarnate the hito hito no mi: nika on hand, but chose to save luffy instead still instead of letting him die. i like Good Guy Shanks interpretations

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Do people even have to work in Tottoland, or do homies do everything? You give up one month for every six months, you definitely spend more time than that working. Might come out ahead

so you give up about 1/7th of your life. in the usa, average life expectancy is ~79 years, so you basically agree to lower that on average to 67, in exchange for not having to work (lets say). i would genuinely take that trade ngl lol

add in big mom herself though and its a different story

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

empty bluffs island is an excellent joke lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

We are going to finish this series without ever learning Dragon's deal, money on table.

if you are being serious here i would be happy to take this bet. i currently have another $100 riding on "if we will see the flashback to luffy and yamato's conversation", so apparently i just love gambling on one piece

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

we're taking a break this week right

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Caesar's a good guy

yeah...good for nothing

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Caesar's a good guy

brutus and cassius: well,

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, we're pretty sure that Kaido isn't a human, which makes him one of the smaller giants by default.

We're 100% sure. He explicitly says that he's an oni and tells Yamato that, due to also being an oni, he cannot befriend humans and is required to rule over them with strength.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Scholtz posted:

This is from Ch 1025 fyi

Tbh I'm not sure if this confirms they're not human, at least until Oda says so from outside of the story. Also, neither Kaido's nor Yamato's vivre card doesn't mention their species, which is only mentioned when the subject of the card is not human.

I think his usage of the word "humans" rather than "people" in the end paints a pretty direct contrast here. I'm confident this is something that'll be explored further as we learn more about the Giants / Ancient Giants / Frozen stuff at Punk Hazard / King / Frozen stuff at Mariejois, I'm pretty sure it's all connected somehow

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i won $100 by taking a bet that there would be a flashback conversation btwn luffy and yamato re: staying on wano

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

i think either Blackbeard is just kind of an oblivious moron or he’s that *and* this is gonna be the buildup to an arc of him having done everything he did to be respected/adored and not really having any of that beyond a surface level despite gaming the devil fruit system and pissing most of his life away as a peon when he’s been implied to be on the level of a Whitebeard fleet commander because he couldn’t just be happy with what he could have had. I’m probably reaching though!

i think his character is much more "gambling on fate and his plan working out" than "secretly needs to be admired". in jaya, he specifically agrees with luffy and shank's pacifism , saying that if you want to reach the top, you have to be agnostic to the more commoner squabbles of pirates from time to time. he does evil poo poo for sure, but he's a lot more kaido than orochi

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

Real Kuma on Thriller Bark w/ mouth beam

Pacifistas on Sabaody

That last line from Franky definitely reads as a foreshadowing to me now that we know that someone CAN, in fact, create humans from scratch.

idk if i'm like, wholesale inventing this in my head but i was pretty confident we had already literally seen on page that people can be created from scratch with all those vergos

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Yeah I agree they should just leave "nakama" untranslated

genuinely lold at this post

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nakama is an important word to One Piece because maybe you want to translate it as "crew" or something at certain points in relation to the Straw Hat Pirates but then if you do that when you translate it as "friend" in other situations where saying crew wouldn't make sense you lost a bit of the paralells being drawn through use of the same term.

This is a sort of complication that is obviously not unique to One Piece in any way but will come up commonly in translation. Of course leaving the word as is, is a poor solution at any rate.

i disagree that it's a poor solution entirely. for a word that is used with such importance in the story, i think you can trust the readership to be able to look up and understand the context it's implied in, and then that word becomes part of their lexicon as well. at least in nerdy online circles, nakama is completely understood by a significant amount of people now just due to one piece's sheer popularity, and having read the story you can "get" what it means no problem.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bleck posted:

Blackbeard really must be way more physically powerful than we've witnessed if he could grab Hancock before she could react. I mean, she's fast.

this clip is so much what i wish robin's combat style was like. feels like sabo and koala could have taught her fishman karate (weird that they're both not fishmen) during the timeskip and it would have been cool to see her incorporate armament with her fruit

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

BoosterDuck posted:

hack and koala did teach robin fishman karate during the timeskip
she even used techniques on black maria

oh well i meant aside from literally one single move, which was even called out in said flashback that being all she wanted to learn. feels like a waste to me though. i get that she's not all that interested in fighting, so it's perfectly in character, but so would be a protective desire regarding the crew (who had of course just been utterly defeated).

i get that he finds it hard to write her power in combat scenes but i just wish that weren't the case!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

crocodile being a former kuja empress weirdly works as the secret and i think it'd be funny

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

was the warm water thing related to the huge god beams

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hm, thinking about it a little bit, i don't think it is a coincidence that we get a chapter where a Big Hat Shadow does a bunch of evangelion beams and also we get a few panels of chopper also wearing a Big Hat. seems like one of oda's little "hey this is something" things

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

honestly makes sense that we get thrust right into vegapunk. there are startlingly few characters left on the planet that wouldn't react with absurd deference to luffy given his status at this point, but one piece is best told when our cast are outsiders and not constantly in the ascendency. this also would make elbaf and the giants work i think

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the praying to ??god?? as luffy is diving into the giant thunder orb immediately before breaking it apart really stuck with me on a recent reread. that sure is some foreshadowing. another thing I noticed, during the big campfire end-of-arc party:

this beat is going for the whole dance scene, and then, 700 chapters later, luffy is fighting kaido:

is that the same rhythm? that fine, fine freedom god beat??

i think i've mentioned this before but it gets under my skin a little that the narrative weight is placed on pedro last there. it's implied that its bc he's the only one who is dead among those listed, but at the time of luffy saying this he should think that kinemon is dead and also pedro hardly has a relationship with kaido and his conquering of wano

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I think they're about equal.

Pre-timeskip has some "eh" material. A lot of the East Blue stuff isn't drawn phenomenally and there's a chunk in the middle that's outright boring. From the grandline onward though, it's extremely strong, up until around Amazon Lily which is just OK. Pre-timeskip has the Water 7 stretch which is phenomenal and then the Sabaody to Timeskip stretch which is also unrealistically good.

Post-timeskip has some bad parts too, I think Fishman Island is really not fun to read and Punk Hazard is even worse, and I also am no fan of Dressrosa. The artwork is pretty much perfect IMO from the timeskip onward though, that's a big plus. WCI through the end of Wano is on par with the highest highs of pre-timeskip.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fecha posted:

What the hell did Vegapunk do to convince the WG to kill him?! He’s behind so much of their military power at this point. Seems suicidal to end that partnership

That said, I don’t feel exactly threatened by these three versus every SH and a bunch of sea kings…

the WG wanting to kill Vegapunk makes perfect sense to me. there is an important piece of information that the WG could only just have learned: that vegapunk didn't dispose of the knockoff kaido dragon fruit, instead keeping it, and it just so happens to have turned up in the hands of the new shogun of wano who is explicitly allied with the inheritor of the sun god mantle (who has just been declared an emperor of the seas).

this same radical pirate is also the one that vegapunk explicitly assisted by acquiescing to kuma's last request. all that, plus the fact that we know this is hardly an alliance of mutual admiration (remember, vegapunk was allied w judge/caesar/queen, some pretty bad dudes), i could see them waiting for the chance to dispose of this person/people. and like lucci says, the lulusia timing probably isn't a coincidence - they've gotten what they want out of vegapunk (the glowing destruction beams probably and the seraphim) so when better than now to take them out

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

yeah not really seeing the "finally a kizaru counter" thing when 14 years ago a guy pointed a regular rear end gun at him and he surrendered

while i agree with the sentiment (the gauntlet doesn't really... do much against kizaru as you'd need advanced haki anyway to even compete with him) this is consistently the most misremembered scene in all of one piece. kizaru mocked beckman by putting his hands up and then like 2 panels later ignored him and attacked luffy. beckman didn't really accomplish anything

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i think it'd be very satisfying to see luffy humiliate lucci at some point

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jose posted:

Luffy was putting up a decent enough fight against kaido he might have won with gear 4 had cp0 not interfered. Lucci should get clowned on

i dont think he would have won. going into the strike where cp0 interfered, luffy was pretty blunt about it being his last attack in gear 4. while kaido could have recovered during the time luffy was dead, it still took a ton of gear 5 fighting to finish him off (inc. an island sized fist coated w so much conquerors haki it was overflowing), so i doubt the last gear 4 hit would have actually put him down.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the dovetailing of plot threads with the cover story is going to be nuts. with all the informatino we have right now, blackbeard is ostensibly on the verge of having multiple ponelyphs and someone who could read them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

lih posted:

i think we know more about kuma than mihawk really.

yeah delta for one epsilon the other lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Edit: also also, kinda wonder if the Sick-Sick fruit’s debut being gender conversion is meant to lampshade that it’s basically the nega-version of the Hormone fruit with all the wild poo poo that entails.

yeah i think it's this. but also it's become blatantly obvious that oda's really interested in the blurry lines of gender, it's been a theme in the manga for ages but has received extra focus lately, so i think he just honestly wants to write more about it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

burgess will fight sanji and the gimmick will be his super strength against sanji's enhanced durability body

also we are, almost 100% certainly, getting a 2v2 at some point with sanji/zoro and burgess/shiryu

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

jinbei, one of the most recognizable beings on the entire planet: thankfully i can wear a tropical pattern shirt to blend in

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hm, i think you guys are right. i don't recall that kuma was guaranteed to go full-cyborg until after bonney's abduction in that period right at the precipice of the timeskip. he may have traded the last vestiges of his humanity for her, and it's a really Oda thing to write into the story, especially w bonney loudly asking "why would he ever agree to become a full robot"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

lih posted:

i meant earlier as we know they had bonney captive at some point before she broke out and became known as a supernova. the timeline doesn't line up the way you're thinking of it - blackbeard turning bonney over to akainu happened after the war, at which point he already was fully converted. my guess is by the time her first escape was known it was somehow too late for him to be able to renege on the agreement.

oh you're right, my mistake. i was thinking the last time we saw him before the timeskip was during sabaody but i forgot it wasn't just pacifistas at the war, the real deal was there. he even obliterated oars jr lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Drakkel posted:

This is why I get so annoyed at people who endlessly complain about the fact that Luffy never kills the bad guys. It's more interesting to me seeing how characters evolve after losing to Luffy than just having a massive bodycount for the sake of a bodycount.

I think the annoyances surrounding death are less on the idea that Luffy doesn't kill someone, and more from the perspective that Oda constantly does "fakeout death --> milk emotional reaction --> haha gotcha they were never dead!"

Kinemon's "death" scene against Kaido is, IMO, one of Oda's best written chapters ever. I LOVE it. I love how immediate it is, how Kaido smashes through the roof looking sincerely monstrous. The fear drawn on Kin and Momo's faces is palpable. And the speed of the action, Kaido doesn't pontificate, he just starts rampaging, and Kin's instinct to throw himself between Kaido and Momo really accentuates a major theme of that chapter (Kin, an adopted father, is far better in the role than Kaido to Yamato). I think it's genuinely beautiful seeing Kinemon's outrageously futile struggle against Kaido, even crawling after him and trying to stab him in the leg to give Momo one more second. The emotions, artwork, action of the scene are all completely top tier.

But it's marred by swapping right over to a gag immediately in the next chapter. Turns out Kinemon didn't really sacrifice anything, Momo got away fine, Kaido looks incompetent and there's no lasting implication to Kin's sacrifice. Does it "ruin" the prior scene? Not quite, I still remember how I felt when I read it the first time. But does it add a little bit of a weird aftertaste? For me, absolutely.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Julias posted:

Nah the better option is to combine water 7 and enis Lobby into one arc. Separating them like that is stupid in retrospect.

agree with this tbh. i view water 7 through them taking off for thriller bark all as one arc. tonally, thematically, it definitely is. its not like enies lobby part introduces any new problems, we just spend some time knocking down the ones established while the crew was in water 7 (and then wrap up the remainder upon return)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this legitimately might be my favorite scene in the entire anime. kinemon is unironically one of my favorite one piece characters, some of the scenes he generates are just so good