Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Anyway, I do like the way the filler arc gets pre-Gum Gum Luffy's characterization right. He had some similar traits to his current self (wanting to go on adventures, mostly), but he was a self-serious macho brat back then. Having a flashback like this now, after the Nika reveal in the manga and I guess shortly before it in the anime, calls attention (perhaps unintentionally) to a rather disturbing ambiguity: how much of Luffy's change in attitude was due to Shanks' good example, and how much was the Devil Fruit affecting his personality?
I always liked the theory that Shanks was going to fulfill the Joyboy prophecy by either taking the Nika fruit for himself or giving it to Roger's son who also lived on Dawn Island at the time; the accident at the bar caused Shanks to rewrite his plan on the fly and take a bet on the random scrappy kid who was always hanging around town, perhaps directly trying to influence him (with the help of people like Rayleigh) towards the path of unlocking the fruit's potential by creating a dream for Luffy via his own actions. Fits nicely with the "was it destiny or did the person will it into existence?" battle that has gone on throughout the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Break next week.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mabels big day posted:

still reeling over the fact that Jimbei is over Sanji. Not that I'm upset, just very surprised
Sanji was fourth after Enies Lobby (Luffy > Zoro > Robin > Sanji)

Sanji was fourth after the timeskip (Luffy > Zoro > Robin > Sanji)

Sanji was fourth after Dressrosa (Luffy > Zoro > Usopp > Sanji

Only time he wasn’t number 4 was after his own arc lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

God, what a great chapter. lol that firing Mihawk was literally the worst thing the Navy could have done. Did I miss Perona, or was she not in this chapter?
She bounced to go see Moria a hundred or two chapters ago

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

For some twisted reason I really enjoyed all the discussion of pirate-financing in this chapter. I'd like more chapters of Crocodile trying to turn Cross Guild into a profitable business. A few more hostile takeovers and acquisitions (Crimin? Doskoi Panda?), investing in Shandoran gold, offering fiat investment scams to pirates, selling dodgy Water-7 timeshares, etc.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Eggplant Squire posted:

This is just setting up Buggy for his glorious power up and he beats up these bullies
My guess would be that Buggy is eventually going to pull off some bluff so insane that even Croc and Mihawk become respectful of him. Probably something involving his relationship with Shanks - I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow ends up taking the credit for beating him. He's following almost exactly the same arc as King from One Punch Man lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

the official translation feels different today. a lot of characters are using a more casual tone and slightly more contemporary language. weird. wonder what changed.
They used formal language for almost all the Wano characters to emulate the fact they were speaking Ye Olde Japanese in the original text, so that might be part of it. Though I do remember the official did make a revolutionary punk with a mohawk and megaphone say “Indeed, the times are changing.” so uhhh maybe they finally took some feedback

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tolth posted:

I basically assume that the power discrepancy with Crocodile is due to us, as in the reader, not being able to see haki at the time, combined with the fact that the Nika Nika fruit has probably always given Luffy a mild degree of ability to bend reality. Crocodile's haki was much weaker as a result of his spirit and ambition being broken, Luffy was using mild armament and conquerors coating without realising it due to being in a berserk rage, and the remainder of the gap is filled by the Nika fruit having slight passive activation due to Luffy fighting to free a bunch of trapped people from oppression.
Luffy beat Crocodile because he punched him really hard

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I really love the sound gomu gomu moves make in that OVA

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

5 future Shichi Warlords were there to witness Roger's death. 3 of them eventually teamed up together.

Really cool that four of the five here are villains who Luffy has defeated and yet they’ve kept getting character development after the main story has moved on. Hope Kaido is the same.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Huh, I never put it together that Mother Carmel probably had a hand in convincing Oimo and Kashi to guard the front gate of Enies Lobby.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

side_burned posted:

Law's powers are weird.
He is the closest thing to a wizard in One Piece

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

All the opening of the chapter needed was Zoro saying something like “I just got back from Ryuma’s grave!” to solidify it as A Formal Apology From the Desk of Eiichiro Oda

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Can’t wait to see Zoro cut this fakeass M1-H4WK in two with one slice

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

IS THERE A PX CROCODILE :eek:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

escape mechanism posted:

I want to see the pacifista kid Buggy, who is presumably more competent then the real deal

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A Bug posted:

Is the fact that Shakky was empress of the Kuja new information?
Yes. Also we know the pirate empress has to abdicate when they fall in love and want to settle down, so I think the implication here is that Shakky gave up her throne to get with Rayleigh

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blackbeard recognising a Lunarian… Is Blackbeard a Lunarian himself… The Moon God to Luffy’s Sun God… :tinfoil:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Would be interesting if PX/Seraphims could be un-mind controlled. Guess Dragon will be the one to work that out with Kuma.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Which brings up another point: I had seen speculation (maybe here?) that BB wanted Hancock's fruit to un-petrify someone else (possibly Rocks himself, which already has the clever pun) but Hancock states that this isn't possible. However, due to BB knowing stuff about fruits that other people don't, I wonder if he either 1. knows un-petrifying people is not possible, and wants it for some other reason, or 2. is smart enough to know something Hancock doesn't, and knows some kind of work-around. Same with the beauty thing honestly, he implies that he knows the fruit's power is based on looks when he says "I don't think any man can resist your charms" so he clearly would have thought about this and had a plan before raiding her island.
Maybe Vegapunk can or has made a sythentic Mero Mero ni Mi that someone could use to reverse petrification. Hell, that PX Hancock in this chapter could already have eaten it for all we know.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

On paper “dark cyborg versions of the warlords with angel wings and laser beams” sounds fuckin dumb but somehow Oda has actually made it kick so much rear end

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

idk if i'm like, wholesale inventing this in my head but i was pretty confident we had already literally seen on page that people can be created from scratch with all those vergos
You may be thinking of

drat Oda put in a lot of groundwork for the Seraphims

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

Zoro vs Mihawk is gonna happen in-story, but I'm not sure it's gonna be shown to the readers necessarily.
no way

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Isra the Great posted:

Obviously, Mihawk will simply fall down a set of stairs on his way to duel Zoro to bring the arc full circle.
PX Stairs :eek:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Len posted:

can someone explain the nakama thing? i don't think i've seen it outside of this thread
you can’t explain nakama, it’s too complex

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Koby's observation haki is so strong that he doesn't need to use his glasses any more

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

November 4th for the UK/Ireland too... Was kinda worried they'd use the "b-b-but the Queen!" excuse like they have with the new Gundam movie

https://twitter.com/AllTheAnime/status/1569344013483876356

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Looking forward to Cross Guild vs. PX Crocodile, Mihawk and Buggy. The Genius Jester is gonna defeat them all somehow and earn the respect of his fellow executives.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

drat I’m so stoked to read some new One Piece

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

this gag had me rollin :lol:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

hatty posted:

Wonder if Kuma in a moment of sentience tossed Bonney into the typhoon thing
She already has a relationship of some kind to Kuma. Could be the emotional factor helped him break his orders for a sec.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So we know now the Void Century was Imu basically committing planetary genocide on all the countries that opposed him?? And only a select few people managed to live on?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Arist posted:

Yeah, I had the same thought. This seems like exactly what happened to that country that got wiped off the map.
The D stands for "Didn't get nuked"

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

hm, thinking about it a little bit, i don't think it is a coincidence that we get a chapter where a Big Hat Shadow does a bunch of evangelion beams and also we get a few panels of chopper also wearing a Big Hat. seems like one of oda's little "hey this is something" things
this chapter neatly threaded so many ideas from the past 25 years of OP that i feel like nothing is off the table anymore, all the uncertainty of post-wano has been wiped way off the table

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Nami is not mapping the entire world by the end of the manga.
If Imu keeps using Uranus then it should be pretty easy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

lih posted:

it's worth noting that luffy's dream has been mentioned before - it was similarly left out of the ace/sabo flashback & it's pretty clearly the same thing that roger said in oden's flashback (that was also left out), as the first we heard of it was shanks saying that luffy had said the same thing as roger
any excuse to repost this scene from the anime

https://youtu.be/pxF0qWWTpXs

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Violen posted:

i thought shanks' line about luffy saying the same thing as roger was about luffy's declaration he'd become the pirate king
not quite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Heck, Roger never intended to be a Pirate King. He was surprised when the world started calling him one.
Baiting and switching on the Pirate King thing feels like a really smart move by Oda. Whether it's been squeezed in here last-minute or was always the intention, it fits with ideas that have been set up throughout the series about titles and status in the world vs. the reality of a situation (Buggy achieving the same titles as Luffy by misadventure/hijinks is a great contrast). Think it's been known for a long while that Luffy doesn't care for wealth, fame or power and only wants to be the Pirate King because it's an enabler of his real vision, which makes complete sense because he isn't the type of dude to sit on a throne. It's interesting to me that Garp hasn't heard his real dream, because it feels like Luffy doesn't tell many people as it would probably mark him out as Roger's successor. I wanna know how much coaching Shanks did with this kid lol, I feel like he has been setting him up for years to be Gold Roger v2.0.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 20, 2022